Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2011   #61
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I disagree. It's not time to revisit McNair's decision. Nothing's been decided, one way or the other. It is time to enjoy the Texans 1.5 game lead in the AFC South.
I was a little giddy that the Bengals helped us out today.

Then, as I continued watching Dalton rifle passes to various unknown WRs, and take 3rd and long situations (caused by numerous Jeff Triplett bogus penalty calls on 2nd down) and basically say a big "Eff you!" to the Titans fans AND to the refs, as well, I began getting this image of the AFC North having a divisional champ, and two teams earning BOTH Wild Card spots.

Then I coupled that image with the image of Gary Freaking Kubiak somehow running the Good Ship Lollipop into the AFC South reef, thus allowing the Titans to get the last laugh by winning the AFC South by like one game or some crazy **** like that.

It's best to just go ahead and imagine the most bizarre circumstances NOW, ahead of time, to prepare the system against a shock that you didn't think would ever occur. Visualize HOW your team can screw you over, and it hurts less when it actually happens.

Only two or three teams have a longer playoff drought than the Texans, and it's only by a margin of like 2 years too. Two teams (Lions are one) haven't had a playoff game since 1999. Our team's been in business since 2001. 10 years for the Texans without a playoff game. So Gary Kubiak MUST produce a playoff appearance, and he MUST win that game.

That's something to truly build upon IF we ended up keepig Kubiak, which we know Bob will anyways. So, this is all just one "Big Effin Deal" threads we're in right now. LOL.
Old 11-07-2011   #62
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5078 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

i dunno.... i was pretty vocal in calling for kubes head. I also came around to idea of letting him run the O and let WP run the D. I think that both coaches have their flaws but together they make a damn good coach. I think we should see how it plays out and see where we are week 17 and how we got there. As it is i don't really have a problem, or as near as big of a problem, with kubes play calling . i think he is getting better as a head coach . We just need to see how the season plays out and move on from there.
Old 11-07-2011   #63
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You conveniently left out the next section of my post where I asked "Can he win a playoff game?"

And you're lecturing Dexman about HIS reading comprehension?
you might want to check your post there again mr comprehension
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #64
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Jim Harbaugh's in his first year as head coach, and he's pulling a 7-1
right now with less talent than Kubiak has had. Alex frickin Smith
is his quarterback. I don't wanna hear about how Kubiak is "vindicated"
because of his 2011 start. Hell naw.

My mind will change about Kubiak when he delivers a 2011 AFC Championship
Game appearance. Wade Phillips is allowing Kubiak's mistakes not be able
to to f-up the team's won/loss.

It is what it is.
I have to disagree with this part. Alex Smith is the only weak link in a pretty solid offense. Frank Gore has been a stud RB for years; I think he's averaging 1,000+ per year over his 7-yr career. Vernon Davis is one of the better TEs in the league and has been since he was drafted in '06. And for comparison purposes, O.D. has 20 career TDs, Davis has 32. They drafted a genuine deep threat in Michael Crabtree in 09. Their O-line is solid with Joe Staley, Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis - all first round picks. Recently they picked up Braylon Edwards and Tedd Ginn, Jr.

So they aren't winning games with smoke and mirrors. They have a pretty damned solid offense. All Alex Smith has to do is hand the ball to Frank Gore, throw a couple of passes to Vernon Davis, and not screw things up otherwise. And to his credit, he hasn't - only 2 INTs in 8 games. I wish Schaub only had two picks.

I see the Niners in a similar situation to the Texans, they're at the head of the class in a sucky division. In fact, they're in much better shape than us; I mean, who in the NFC West is a threat?? I mean, geez, they're the only team in that division that has more than 2 wins!

All that to say, the "less talent than Kubiak had" statement is undefendable. This is the best team that the Texans have ever had, and even with that, position for position, the Niners have just as much talent up and down the starting lineups.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled Kubiak bashing.
Thank you.
Old 11-07-2011   #65
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Gary Kubiak is one of the luckiest men that has ever been a HC in the NFL.

There's very little debate on this.
Has a coach on the hot seat ever been gift wrapped an easier path off it?
Old 11-07-2011   #66
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll revisit at the end of year, until then I am enjoying the Son of Bum's impact on the team.
Old 11-07-2011   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
I hope Gary does well because they don't need Wade as HC.
Like others have said, I hope Wade sticks around regardless who the HC is, like Dick Lebeaux (sp) Jim Johnson (RiP) Monte Kiffen, etc..
Old 11-07-2011   #68
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Is he even a .500 coach yet? 2009 is the latest his team should have been doing what it's doing now. Think about it - this team is sitting at the LOFTY RECORD of .... 6-3. I'm happy about that because of the history, but it's pretty meh, especially when you consider who they've beaten.

Kubiak built the team. He hired and fired everyone involved to get to this point. If you think it's the players on the field, well, they were chosen by Kubiak. If you think it's been the assistant coaches, well, they were chosen by Kubiak. If you think it's been tactical errors, those were all Kubiak.

2009 was the make or break year. At the risk of putting the cart ahead of the horse, I'd like to see him win something that matters. Of course, I'd like to see him even get to .500 first, I suppose.
Old 11-07-2011   #69
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Winning the division in 2011 does not have the same ring as having
won it in 2010. For obvious reasons Mr. Devil's Advocate.
Ancient Chinese proverb:

No matter how hard you try, you can't get a better past.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #70
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

Quote:
Originally Posted by hervoyel View Post
i don't want to go here right now. I'm in a good mood and enjoying the win.

But...

Gary is still gary.
qft
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #71
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Folks, the Texans are doing great this year because of Wade Phillips, an easy schedule, and the rest of our division sucking. The only think Kubiak is responsible for in those three reasons is our easy schedule because of the Texans record last year.

I still don't like him as a head coach, his short comings are being hidden by other factors that are making both him and the Texans look good this year. But, that being the case, I'll take it. Whatever it takes to get the Texans in the playoffs and winning games is good. But it doesn't mean I'm going to just drop my feelings about Kubiak and start dishing out love for him as our head coach.

It's possible to cheer for the Texans and want them to win a Super Bowl but still dislike certain aspects of the team. You guys know that's true because of our history with the Oilers and Bud Adams. I love the Texans, but not Kubiak, and that probably isn't going to change anytime soon.

GO TEXANS!!!!!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Folks, the Texans are doing great this year because of Wade Phillips, an easy schedule, and the rest of our division sucking. The only think Kubiak is responsible for in those three reasons is our easy schedule because of the Texans record last year.
The only thing our record from last year got us is the Dolphins & Raiders instead of KC & the Patriots.

You no longer get an easy schedule based on where you finished the previous season.

You play 6 division games.

You play 4 games versus another AFC division (this year we play the AFC North)

You play 4 games against an NFC Division (this year we play the NFC South)

That's 14 games, leaving 2 to be decided by your divisional standings (We play the third place teams from the AFC East & West; Miami & Oakland).

so your previous record only counts for 2 out of 16 games.... 12.5% not really a factor.
Old 11-07-2011   #73
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
.............so your previous record only counts for 2 out of 16 games.... 12.5% not really a factor.
Sounds like you are right thunderkyss. But it won't alter my opinion of Kubiak.

Don't worry though, I'll be cheering for him and the Texans every week to win.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #74
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think its so much that people are "glad", but moreso that Bob stepped in & forced gary into hiring someone that he wanted.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Sounds like you are right thunderkyss. But it won't alter my opinion of Kubiak.

Don't worry though, I'll be cheering for him and the Texans every week to win.
My point, is that Gary is even less responsible for anything this season.... going by your way of thinking that is.
Old 11-07-2011   #76
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thrilled with the Kubiak - Phillips combo and I think our team is on the verge of greatness. There I said it.

#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #77
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not glad he wasn't fired. I wanted him fired, but kinda knew he wouldn't be due to the lockout.
Old 11-07-2011   #78
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1541 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'm thrilled with the Kubiak - Phillips combo and I think our team is on the verge of greatness. There I said it.

Well said! I'm sure some out there would almost smile at a loss if it meant Kubiak would get canned, but I like what he is doing. We have a couple of hometown coaches getting it done. If we do go deep into the playoffs I'm sure all will be forgiven by most. There are some who will never be happy. Last season people were all worked up that Seatle was in the playoffs with a new coach, but it was just a mirage, they still suck. We have players out performing their talent because of good coaching and time in the system. Keep Kubiak!
Old 11-07-2011   #79
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think after 9 games and a 6-3 record that it's the time to revisit this... and maybe not even after just one year... But i will entertain it...

Personally i thought last year should have been it for Gara... But i wasn't shocked he was brought back and to be honest, i wasn't that upset with the choice because i didn't see any obvious replacements and i do believe he's a good coach with great potential...

But, even with success this year, unless it's a SB win/trip, it's going to take another year or two to see if it was a good decision or not, because the goal isn't to be a playoff team just once...

As for Wade being Bob's pick for DC, i still don't know if that is true or just a blind lack of faith in Gary's decision making... As i've pointed out before, Gary and Wade have crossed paths a couple of times in the NFL, and Bum has always publically praised Gary so maybe there's a good relationship with the family there.. Unless someone shows me the proof and i'm 100% sure that Bob made that decision, i won't blindly rule out Gary's role in it... For all we know Gary may have wanted Wade a long time, but Wade chose a HC gig...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #80
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I still don't like him as a head coach, his short comings are being hidden by other factors that are making both him and the Texans look good this year. But, that being the case, I'll take it. Whatever it takes to get the Texans in the playoffs and winning games is good. But it doesn't mean I'm going to just drop my feelings about Kubiak and start dishing out love for him as our head coach.

It's possible to cheer for the Texans and want them to win a Super Bowl but still dislike certain aspects of the team. You guys know that's true because of our history with the Oilers and Bud Adams. I love the Texans, but not Kubiak, and that probably isn't going to change anytime soon.

GO TEXANS!!!!!
Amen. Agree 100 percent. That's why I said "it's not that simple."

It is possible to love the team and hate certain parts of it, like the coaching, for example. Gary is not the epitome of the Houston Texans.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read