Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2011   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

I've defended Kubiak a lot. I think he's actually a pretty good coach but I think he's made some bad decisions on defensive coordinators. And because of that, I thought he should have been fired after last season.

And I've said as much in other threads.

Although I was worried that maybe Gary WAS the problem and we'd break down again, I thought that hiring Wade could be the absolute perfect thing for us. With Gary concentrating on the Offense and Wade concentrating on the Defense, this could be a great combination. There have been several teams that have had that sort of HC/Coordinator dichotomy and have been able to make it work.

So, I'm not surprised at the success of the combination. And I think we can do some damage in the playoffs once we get there.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #22
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Can't not respond. We were 21 points up? So what? Ever see 21 points disappear in puff of smoke? We all have and too many times to count.

"When someone asks you if you're a god YOU SAY YES!" When you're on the 5 yard line you score a TD every chance you get. Anyone stupid enough to be practicing their RZ passing offense in a game situation deserves the comeback they get when it happens.
spin the historical texans rhetoric all you want but this team wasnt losing that game at that stage. i saw no harm in throwing a few passes there for a bit of work. we had that game won, practice things that might help you win another one down the road.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I hope they go all the way just to spite all the "in-spiters".
Me too
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #24
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i've said ad nauseum that i want kubiak coaching this team and have made every excuse for him doing so. look at our offense, ben tate is our only first day draft pick and schaub is our only major trade ... we have no major free agents. the flaw has always been in the executive department - hiring kubiak's friends. sure he outsmarts himself enough to notice, but it hardly overshadows the results on offense. with so few resources spent on the offense, and so much production, why cant we win?

one thing changed this year, and it changed at the executive level. our offense is the same. our playcalling is only slightly wrinkled from it's unveiling in 2006. the areas that are manned by those not in kubiak's fledgeling coaching tree are the difference. we now have a REAL defensive coordinator bringing in REAL assistants and using all those resources to acquire REAL talent.

i still think kubiak has what it takes to be the top guy, but he cant be shannahan - HC/OC/DC/GM all in one. to me that means smith needs to go, but we're otherwise in great shape with kubiak in charge now that wade's here.

it also speaks volumes to me that the team continues to buy into what kubiak is selling. no offseason, new defense, foster out, mario out, andre out ... and we play strong each week. it also continues to impress me that kubiak is leading our offense with 1/4 of the resources continually provided to the defense. stop to think about what this offense will look like when our defense provides the luxury of drafting a WR in the first round instead of searching for TE's in the 4th.
You are absolutely right. Besides Duane Brown and Ben Tate, the offense has been ignored in the early part of the draft.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I was someone who wasn't loudly calling for Kubiak's head at the end of the 2010 season, but I absolutely thought it was time for him to go.
I was probably one of the more patient Kubiak guys here.

I thought he deserved to come back in 2010 & reap the benefits of his 4 years (then) of team building. When we finished 6-10 & lost in some of the most unimaginable ways, I really didn't see him coming back for another year, at least not with the same GM as well.

I didn't buy McNair's "too much turmoil" reasoning either. I thought the division was ours for the taking, didn't see it getting much easier & we failed to do what needed to be done, as a team.

All that said, it's way too early for this thread. Winning this division, beating the teams we should beat... nah, it is not time to rethink Kubiak's position on this team..... definitely not time for anyone to say, "I'm glad he's still here"

We've got pro-bowlers & 1st & 2nd round picks all over this team, we should have won this division because it is our division to lose. What's going on with the 0-8 Colts further prove that. We're way beyond the "should beat playoff contender" stage. We should beat Super Bowl Contenders.

Maybe I'm still drunk on the koolaid (1 part koolaid 3 parts rum). But that's my opinion of this team.

I said it before the season started, if I were king (McNair) the Texans need to make a good showing in the AFC Championship game before I would be happy with Gary Kubiak.

GK is under contract through next year (I believe) one & done might get him another year here in Houston. So he's got this year & next to make this team a bona-fide Super Bowl contender before I extend him or call the dogs off or anything like that.

Old 11-06-2011   #26
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
i still want him gone.
Really Trap, really??

You and I really need to talk!! LOL!!
Old 11-06-2011   #27
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I've defended Kubiak a lot. I think he's actually a pretty good coach but I think he's made some bad decisions on defensive coordinators. And because of that, I thought he should have been fired after last season.
I think this is what I was looking for.

So, you thought he should have been fired after last season, but you're glad he didn't get fired?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2011   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
and for the record, i was always in the minority that gary & wade would work well. despite that being the minoity view, i didnt exactly see that as going out on a limb- good offensive coaching & (finally) good defensive coaching + talent = good team. always that ppl around here were overrating the cowher persona that was a deemed requirement
Oh wise one, did you also see Peyton going down for the yr?

If you did who's going to cover next week? Win the SB? Inquiring minds want to know. Not for betting purposes. LOL
Old 11-06-2011   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this is what I was looking for.

So, you thought he should have been fired after last season, but you're glad he didn't get fired?
I wasn't even pissed in the offseason when he wasn't fired because I saw them making moves to fix what was wrong: the defense.

If they had fired him, I would expect someone to come in that would totally change our offense and I would have expected that to set us back. With the offense still in place (and a draft I really liked and off season moves I really liked), I had high expectations for the season although I tried not to let myself get carried away with them.

I think it may be a little early to say "I'm glad". I'm happy with how the season has gone so far but like a lot of fans, I know how quickly the whole thing can go south. So I'm not prepared to call this season a complete success, yet.
Old 11-06-2011   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Gary Kubiak is one of the luckiest men that has ever been a HC in the NFL.

There's very little debate on this.
Old 11-06-2011   #31
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I wasn't even pissed in the offseason when he wasn't fired because I saw them making moves to fix what was wrong: the defense.

If they had fired him, I would expect someone to come in that would totally change our offense and I would have expected that to set us back. With the offense still in place (and a draft I really liked and off season moves I really liked), I had high expectations for the season although I tried not to let myself get carried away with them.

I think it may be a little early to say "I'm glad". I'm happy with how the season has gone so far but like a lot of fans, I know how quickly the whole thing can go south. So I'm not prepared to call this season a complete success, yet.
No, you saw BOB make changes on the defense.

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Gary hired Wade. He didn't.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #32
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Agree. Amazing, isn't it?

I'll take it one step further and say he's easily one of the most coddled coaches in all of sports.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #33
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh wise one, did you also see Peyton going down for the yr?

If you did who's going to cover next week? Win the SB? Inquiring minds want to know. Not for betting purposes. LOL
it wasnt exactly clairvoyance.. just common sense- which isnt always prevalent around here

what has peyton going down got to do with us being a good team? we've beaten and nearly beaten the colts many times when we were flawed. even before mannings injury, what had the colts done to improve last yrs fading team?

and yes i wagered quite heavily (for me anyway) that they would win the division. shouldve asked me earlier
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #34
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm certainly not going to debate that.

I can't imagine an owner more patient than Bob McNair. We should all be so lucky as to have a boss like that.
Old 11-06-2011   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
I would make a crack about old people using the internet but then I remembered my age. What that has to do with GK, I don't know. Fire Gary! He Sucks! Fire the knave!
How old are you?

DB may welcome you to the old geezers club. LOL
Old 11-06-2011   #36
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

I am glad he is coaching but in the end I really don't care who is coaching the team. Just get a Superbowl.

See, here is what is going to happen. Instead of "fire kubiak threads because he can't get us to the playoffs," we are going to have "fire kubiak because he can't get us to the superbowl or win the superbowl." Its always going to be something, so I want him to hurry up and win one. I don't think this fan base could handle an andy reid type of record(no superbowl win just playoffs) or even last for a bill cowher type of record(a superbowl win only after several years of going to the playoffs.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
No, you saw BOB make changes on the defense.

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Gary hired Wade. He didn't.
I didn't say Gary made the changes on defense. Notice I used the words They and Them. The TEXANS made the change on defense that needed to be made. Who it is in the organization who made that step is irrelevant to me. The fact that the step was made is the only thing I care about.

HC's don't always get to pick their Coordinators. Sometimes the GMs do it and in this case the owner did it. Sometimes coaches will sacrifice a coordinator to save their job and sometimes they won't. Doesn't matter. Putting together a team that works matters. And getting a good DC (like Wade) to pair with Kubiak was a sound move that I liked.
Old 11-06-2011   #38
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm certainly not going to debate that.

I can't imagine an owner more patient than Bob McNair. We should all be so lucky as to have a boss like that.
Repped
Old 11-06-2011   #39
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Maybe I'm still drunk on the koolaid (1 part koolaid 3 parts rum).
Nice. Everclear works, too. Just don't use cyanide.

Old 11-06-2011   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
it wasnt exactly clairvoyance.. just common sense- which isnt always prevalent around here

what has peyton going down got to do with us being a good team? we've beaten and nearly beaten the colts many times when we were flawed. even before mannings injury, what had the colts done to improve last yrs fading team?

and yes i wagered quite heavily (for me anyway) that they would win the division. shouldve asked me earlier
I always miss out on the grease. LOL

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read