Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2011   #1
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire Gary?

I was someone who wasn't loudly calling for Kubiak's head at the end of the 2010 season, but I absolutely thought it was time for him to go.

I also thought it was silly to think Wade was going to make that big of a difference. I knew he was a good coach, but I didn't expect the kinds of results we've seen.

I'm really happy Gary's still our coach. I know this three game winning streak doesn't mean he is suddenly the greatest coach in the world, and I think there's still a chance he'll need to be fired in the not so distant future. If he screws this season up by winding up with a 9-7 record and a one-and-done bounce from the playoffs, or if the team reverts next season with a tougher schedule to a 6-10 team----then he will most definitely have to go.

But what if the only thing that kept this team from succeeding---that kept Gary from succeeding---was a lack of success? What if they're getting better with each successive win because they're learning what it takes to win? Wouldn't it have been a shame to not get a chance to see Gary reap the rewards of his struggles with this team?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

Not me

It will be proven, Gary's been living right. 3 yr extention

Where's Peyton
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

I don't want to go here right now. I'm in a good mood and enjoying the win.

But...

Gary is still Gary. When you see the Texans down inside the 5 and they're running all over the Browns but suddenly throw the ball three straight times despite the fact that the field is small down there and the Browns are glued to everyone we send out..... that's Gary. Every time I see the Texans inexplicably abandon something that's working and then try to force something over and over again I think "**** you Gary". Every single time.

Now back to enjoying myself.
Old 11-06-2011   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

What is the anomaly, years of struggle or a year with a sufficiently weak division/schedule to succeed?

With the talent this team has had, the Texans should have been in this position a couple of years ago, and might have been had a change been made.

Yes Gary is having success now that a competent defensive coordinator was selected for him. I'm happy the Texans are on their way to the playoffs and it's great to have a shot at playoff success. However, one year doesn't make him a great coach.
Old 11-06-2011   #5
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how good we could be with a real coach.

Old 11-06-2011   #6
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7394 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

But...

Gary is still Gary. When you see the Texans down inside the 5 and they're running all over the Browns but suddenly throw the ball three straight times despite the fact that the field is small down there and the Browns are glued to everyone we send out..... that's Gary. Every time I see the Texans inexplicably abandon something that's working and then try to force something over and over again I think "**** you Gary". Every single time.

The game was pretty well taken care of by then, I wonder (maybe giving them too much credit) if they werent just showing something for film purposes. I think the Schaub TD run might have been another instance. Just giving future opponents something else to think about. Could be way off though, lol.
Old 11-06-2011   #7
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just wish Jerruh had fired Wade a year ago so Uncle bob could have hired him last year instead of Gary's buddy. And yeah, I think Uncle Bob would have over-ruled Smithiak and hired Bum's boy.
Old 11-06-2011   #8
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not that simple. We are winning because of Wade, not because of Gary.

Gary is still Gary. He still makes me nervous and I still think he's a weak coach, for the most part.

It's about collecting talent. This team has always had the talent, and that talent is starting to gel. I firmly believe that another coach could have come in here and turned this team around.

Am I happy with our record? Yes.

Do I think Gary deserves SOME credit? Yes.

But I would have been just fine firing his ass.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #9
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

But...

umm... we were 21 pts up. the game was over. what do we learn by scoring another rush td there going up 28? is there a more opportune time to practice prob what is our biggest offensive weakness right now (rz passing offence) in a game situation?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #10
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 27348 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

i still want him gone.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
The game was pretty well taken care of by then, I wonder (maybe giving them too much credit) if they werent just showing something for film purposes. I think the Schaub TD run might have been another instance. Just giving future opponents something else to think about. Could be way off though, lol.

I think he just gets stuck like a broken record on something that he wants to do and he'll pursue it until it either does or he costs us the game. Now we have a defense that can compensate for these weird "sequences" he springs on us. Who knows, maybe this "smartest guy in the room" bull**** is the price you pay for a truly gifted offensive mind. Whatever it is we now have a defense so it doesn't kill momentum like it has in the past.

I think Schaub took so much crap for not running earlier in the year (and that crap was deeply deserved) that he's just going for it when it's there. He shouldn't need a ****-storm of criticism to know to do that.

I'm getting out of this thread. Like I said, I don't want to be here. I'm happy tonight
Old 11-06-2011   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they go all the way just to spite all the "in-spiters".
Old 11-06-2011   #13
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

If we had Wade as D-Coordinator, Gary as O-Coordinator and Harbaugh as head coach, we could be so much better.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
umm... we were 21 pts up. the game was over. what do we learn by scoring another rush td there going up 28? is there a more opportune time to practice prob what is our biggest offensive weakness right now (rz passing offence) in a game situation?
Can't not respond. We were 21 points up? So what? Ever see 21 points disappear in puff of smoke? We all have and too many times to count.

"When someone asks you if you're a god YOU SAY YES!" When you're on the 5 yard line you score a TD every chance you get. Anyone stupid enough to be practicing their RZ passing offense in a game situation deserves the comeback they get when it happens.
Old 11-06-2011   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

and for the record, i was always in the minority that gary & wade would work well. despite that being the minoity view, i didnt exactly see that as going out on a limb- good offensive coaching & (finally) good defensive coaching + talent = good team. always that ppl around here were overrating the cowher persona that was a deemed requirement
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #16
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL Wow. Not one.

I don't disagree with anything that's been said in this thread though.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #17
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
This is where I am. As you said, the game was well in hand. Why not work on your weaknesses?
I think that was a case of Gary (or Dennison) thinking, "You B@st@rds are going to run this play until you get it right".
Old 11-06-2011   #18
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

It was the right call. We needed to get the defense right, and firing Kubes would have most likely caused the offense to take a step back, especially considering the lockout.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #19
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i've said ad nauseum that i want kubiak coaching this team and have made every excuse for him doing so. look at our offense, ben tate is our only first day draft pick (edit:forgot about duane) and schaub is our only major trade ... we have no major free agents. the flaw has always been in the executive department - hiring kubiak's friends. sure he outsmarts himself enough to notice, but it hardly overshadows the results on offense. with so few resources spent on the offense, and so much production, why cant we win?

one thing changed this year, and it changed at the executive level. our offense is the same. our playcalling is only slightly wrinkled from it's unveiling in 2006. the areas that are manned by those not in kubiak's fledgeling coaching tree are the difference. we now have a REAL defensive coordinator bringing in REAL assistants and using all those resources to acquire REAL talent.

i still think kubiak has what it takes to be the top guy, but he cant be shannahan - HC/OC/DC/GM all in one. to me that means smith needs to go, but we're otherwise in great shape with kubiak in charge now that wade's here.

it also speaks volumes to me that the team continues to buy into what kubiak is selling. no offseason, new defense, foster out, mario out, andre out ... and we play strong each week. it also continues to impress me that kubiak is leading our offense with 1/4 of the resources continually provided to the defense. stop to think about what this offense will look like when our defense provides the luxury of drafting a WR in the first round instead of searching for TE's in the 4th.
Old 11-06-2011   #20
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8236 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think Gary is pretty happy that Bob didn't fire Gary.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read