Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2011   #81
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Forget winning the division, we should now be playing for a 1st round bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
As someone who was a Cowboys fan before switching over to the Texans, this has been one of the biggest differences I've seen in the fan bases. Cowboys fans want/expect a Super Bowl almost every year, regardless of whether it's really realistic that the team will get there. I don't think any Cowboys fan is really happy with anything less than a Super Bowl victory (there are maybe a couple of years in history that were an exception, when it was a clear rebuilding year, like the very beginning of the Jimmy Johnson era). Texans fans tend to be more realistic, and it's why most people would be happy with finally getting to the playoffs this year.

I know that the fan attitude is not player attitude, but I think there's probably some bleedover, at least from fans->front office->players. Lots of people have remarked on McNair being "too" patient with coaches and stuff (just compare to Jerry Jones - would Kubiak still be here?). While McNair seems happy with improvement, Jones seems unhappy with less than a clear run toward a Super Bowl.
I think it all depends on history and tradition.

The Cowboys have gotten to a bunch of SBs and so the fans expect that. The Steelers, Patriots, Niners, and Raiders fans all expect to get there. But for teams like the Eagles, the Chargers, the Lions, the Browns, those fanbases have different expectations and/or hopes. The Eagles and Chargers expect to get to the playoffs but I don't think they expect to get to/win a SB because they haven't done it very often; the Lions and Browns, I don't think they serious think they'll get to a SB and I think they'd be happy if their team could consistently get to the playoffs... just like us at this point.

But once the team gets to the playoffs a few times and the fanbase starts to expect that, that's when the pressure to win a SB starts to mount.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #82
74 Dean
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected74 Dean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Forget winning the division, we should now be playing for a 1st round bye!

this team reminds me of the '81 niners. finished 13-3.
defense = good.
74 Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #83
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point in our history, Texans fans "expecting" our team to go to the Super Bowl each year is like any of us "expecting" to date movie stars and super models. First we need to date a few gals 'out of our league' before we start reaching further up the ladder. That's not loser mentality, that's just the truth.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #84
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets not blow are wad here bottom line is Tampa is a NFC game losing this game is not the end of the world because there is also a good chance tampa will beat the Jags and Tenn

are most important games i think NOW are

@ Jags

VS Tenn
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #85
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
At this point in our history, Texans fans "expecting" our team to go to the Super Bowl each year is like any of us "expecting" to date movie stars and super models. First we need to date a few gals 'out of our league' before we start reaching further up the ladder. That's not loser mentality, that's just the truth.

Speak for yourself on that one Missy....... That is your truth, not mine and a lot of other Texans fans that I know.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #86
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
We, the fans, have nothing to do with preparing for next week or any other week. It's our job to discuss possibilities and look ahead. No team has ever lost a game and blamed it on the fans for looking ahead.
yep. Unless you believe in jinxes and all that cosmik debris, talking about the potential of the future is part of the fun of being fans. We react to what has already happened and speculate about the possibilities that might occur.

But nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, we do as individual fans has even the slightest impact of action and results on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
It is not helpful for the bar to be raised part way through the season. All it does is take away the Texan's opportunity to exceed expectations. For fans who fall into this trap, they just increase their chances for disappointment and aggravation, as all of the slack has been removed from the line.

How much better if we just determine a reasonable expectation and stick with it. At the beginning of the season, 10-6 seemed like a reasonable goal to most people. If the Texans achieve 10-6 and make the playoffs I will be happy. If they achieve 11-5 or better I will be ecstatic.

Let's not forget that many on this board were on the verge of a full meltdown three weeks ago when the Texans lost to the Ravens in Baltimore. How quickly things change. Now the manic depressive cycle appears to be angling towards manic mode.

Come on people. You are just going to upset yourselves with this sort of thinking. Set it the expectation and leave it alone. Otherwise, you are just in for a lot of unnecessary aggravation - much of which will be self inflicted.
Good post, man. I had them pegged at 9-7 and hopefully making a wildcard before the season. So I'm nothing but extremely pleased with the way things are going and the potential this team is showing, especially without our superstars.

I'm still one-week-at-a-time fan, because 6-3 can lead to anything from 13-3 and 6-10. At this point, I think it's realistic to hope for 10-6 or better and the AFC division title. If just those things occur, even if we lose the first playoff game, I don't see how Texans fans can't at least be excited that they finally got that proverbial monkey off the franchise's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
As someone who was a Cowboys fan before switching over to the Texans, this has been one of the biggest differences I've seen in the fan bases. Cowboys fans want/expect a Super Bowl almost every year, regardless of whether it's really realistic that the team will get there. I don't think any Cowboys fan is really happy with anything less than a Super Bowl victory (there are maybe a couple of years in history that were an exception, when it was a clear rebuilding year, like the very beginning of the Jimmy Johnson era). Texans fans tend to be more realistic, and it's why most people would be happy with finally getting to the playoffs this year.

I know that the fan attitude is not player attitude, but I think there's probably some bleedover, at least from fans->front office->players. Lots of people have remarked on McNair being "too" patient with coaches and stuff (just compare to Jerry Jones - would Kubiak still be here?). While McNair seems happy with improvement, Jones seems unhappy with less than a clear run toward a Super Bowl.
One phrase, two words: winning tradition.

The Pencil Neck did a great job of elaborating on it. Decades of winning seasons and multiple championships will condition a fanbase to expect great things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
yep. QFT. I think expecting a team that has never been to the playoffs to win a Super Bowl is setting yourself up, but to each his own. I'm not going to fault anyone for shooting for the moon.
Old 11-07-2011   #87
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7120 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

I think We have the inside track to get the #2 seed.

AFC North

Baltimore has the inside track for the number 1. They have two 2 loses and the tie breaker over the Texans. They have to play Cincy Twice, @San Diego and SF at home. Easy games, 2 against Cleveland, Colts, and Seattle. They would have to at least lose twice, more likely 3 times for us to pass them. Pittsburg We have the tiebreaker over and they pretty much have the same schedule as Baltimore without San Diego, they do have to go to SF on the road. Cincy still has to play Pittsburg and Baltimore twice plus us.

AFC East

NE, NYJ, and Buf all have three loses and all have to play each other plus the NFC East which is no small order.

AFC West

All 4-4, Nothing to see here. No one is really standing out and they still have play each other and the NFC North.

AFC South

Only the Texans in the conversation. We have to win our division games, and win 3 of 4 or possibly 2 of 4 @TB, vs ATL, @Cincy and vs Car. There is a clear path there. But you have to take care of business. CINCY, TB, CAR, ATL and @Jax (division games are tough, and this seems personal to them). Can we go 6-1? or even crazier to ask run the table? Possibly, but to do that we need AJ back, to get lucky and stay reasonably healthy, and continue playing good defense especially to the teams that can pass which I think is still our weakness.
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read