Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2011   #61
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Forget winning the division, we should now be playing for a 1st round bye!

If the Patriots or the Jets win their next two games and the Texans beat the Bucs, then coming out of the bye week the Texans will be tied with one of those teams for that #2 playoff seed. Depending on the tie-breakers, the Texans could fall out of that spot even with a win over Tampa this Sunday. And then there will still be six games to go after that.

I hope the Texans do earn a first round bye. But truth be told, it is going to be a long, hard uphill climb. It looks like the division winners from the AFC South, East and North are all going to be in the mix for these top two spots.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #62
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Forget winning the division, we should now be playing for a 1st round bye!

I have been thinking about this for a while now. With the Colts down, should we as a fan base really be satisfied with 10-6 and a #3 seed? Maybe satisfied is the wrong word, I guess. But it's one of those cases where we shouldn't ignore in victory what we wouldn't in defeat, I think. If the Colts were healthy this year, there's a good chance that's one win the team might not have. What record would be good enough to topple the Colts?

I guess what I'm saying is that, while the playoffs are the obvious goal, I think the team should also be thinking about what it takes to topple a healthy Manning-led Colts so they can put a lock on the division. It should be the Texans' time. Just as one-and-done will leave me very dissatisfied as a fan, falling from the playoffs next year would as well.

All of this is putting the cart ahead of the horse, certainly, but that was the bent of the thread, so I just went along.
Old 11-07-2011   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I have been thinking about this for a while now. With the Colts down, should we as a fan base really be satisfied with 10-6 and a #3 seed? Maybe satisfied is the wrong word, I guess. But it's one of those cases where we shouldn't ignore in victory what we wouldn't in defeat, I think. If the Colts were healthy this year, there's a good chance that's one win the team might not have. What record would be good enough to topple the Colts?
Once a team has locked up a play-off spot, it's only natural to start thinking about home field advantage.

The Texans haven't locked up that spot yet, but optimism is good now, we beat three teams we should have beat, we're 6-3, & our only divisional competition just slipped to two & a half games behind us.

The one win the Colts might have on us, has yet to be played. We should expect to beat the Colts at home regardless if Manning is playing or not.
Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is that, while the playoffs are the obvious goal, I think the team should also be thinking about what it takes to topple a healthy Manning-led Colts so they can put a lock on the division. It should be the Texans' time. Just as one-and-done will leave me very dissatisfied as a fan, falling from the playoffs next year would as well.
Everyone here was pissed last year when we didn't win the division. You look at our 6-10 record & you can say we're delusional for thinking we should have won it.

But.... we should have. The talent was there, the Colts were just as weak & the Jags & Titans were struggling (as were we). Had Wade been here (or if Frank Bush was as aggressive as he was in 2009) we would have competed for the division last year.... the defensive turnaround you see wouldn't be possible if we were totally void of talent as our defensive record suggested last season.

The Question about this team being competitive or not in the division next year has little to do with a lack of confidence in this teams ability.... it's the leadership.

Quote:
All of this is putting the cart ahead of the horse, certainly, but that was the bent of the thread, so I just went along.
I think you're right where we all need to be. The last six years were hard enough, it would be worth it (I think..... sort of) if we are on the brink of a decade of excellence.
Old 11-07-2011   #64
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

It is not helpful for the bar to be raised part way through the season. All it does is take away the Texan's opportunity to exceed expectations. For fans who fall into this trap, they just increase their chances for disappointment and aggravation, as all of the slack has been removed from the line.

How much better if we just determine a reasonable expectation and stick with it. At the beginning of the season, 10-6 seemed like a reasonable goal to most people. If the Texans achieve 10-6 and make the playoffs I will be happy. If they achieve 11-5 or better I will be ecstatic.

Let's not forget that many on this board were on the verge of a full meltdown three weeks ago when the Texans lost to the Ravens in Baltimore. How quickly things change. Now the manic depressive cycle appears to be angling towards manic mode.

Come on people. You are just going to upset yourselves with this sort of thinking. Set it the expectation and leave it alone. Otherwise, you are just in for a lot of unnecessary aggravation - much of which will be self inflicted.
Old 11-07-2011   #65
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
My only concern right now is hoping the Texans win aganst Tampa.
I'm with you A-T. But you gotta admit that all of these other guys who are busy devising game-plans for our contest vs the Packers early next year in Indy are good for the entertainment-value ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #66
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
It is not helpful for the bar to be raised part way through the season. All it does is take away the Texan's opportunity to exceed expectations. For fans who fall into this trap, they just increase their chances for disappointment and aggravation, as all of the slack has been removed from the line.

How much better if we just determine a reasonable expectation and stick with it. At the beginning of the season, 10-6 seemed like a reasonable goal to most people. If the Texans achieve 10-6 and make the playoffs I will be happy. If they achieve 11-5 or better I will be ecstatic.

Let's not forget that many on this board were on the verge of a full meltdown three weeks ago when the Texans lost to the Ravens in Baltimore. How quickly things change. Now the manic depressive cycle appears to be angling towards manic mode.

Come on people. You are just going to upset yourselves with this sort of thinking. Set it the expectation and leave it alone. Otherwise, you are just in for a lot of unnecessary aggravation - much of which will be self inflicted.
I'm sorry, but I kind of see this as a loser's mentality. Sure it would be easy to shoot for a lower goal, but every year the goal should be to win a championship. If you fall short then so be it, but that shouldn't keep anyone from wanting the top prize. I would feel no less disappointed than I did our first year in existence when we weren't winning games. Like Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game!". Our goal should be to win every game from this point out. Shooting for lower goals doesn't make us any more successful if we should hit them as opposed to setting our goal for a #1 seed and not hitting that goal. We need to get rid of this loser's mentality immediately people!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #67
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I'm sorry, but I kind of see this as a loser's mentality. Sure it would be easy to shoot for a lower goal, but every year the goal should be to win a championship. If you fall short then so be it, but that shouldn't keep anyone from wanting the top prize. I would feel no less disappointed than I did our first year in existence when we weren't winning games. Like Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game!". Our goal should be to win every game from this point out. Shooting for lower goals doesn't make us any more successful if we should hit them as opposed to setting our goal for a #1 seed and not hitting that goal. We need to get rid of this loser's mentality immediately people!
It is not a lower goal. It is the same reasonable goal that was set at the start of the season. There are ups and downs throughout the year for most teams and the Texans are obviously no exception to that. Of course the goal is to win every game. And that is true for every team in every sport at every level.

I hope the Texans win out and win the Super Bowl this year. But I am not going to belatedly expect them to do that because I know it will likely spoil my enjoyment of this team this year and into the off-season next year. It is not about setting a "lower" goal, it is about managing expectations and not getting caught up into the negativity that is inherently associated with the manic-depressive cycle that many people around here seem to be committed to sustaining.

NFL football is entertainment to me. I enjoy the games and the competition for the playoffs and the Super Bowl title. If I look at it through the lense of either the Texans are Super Bowl champs or they suck, then where is the enjoyment in that? The Texans are likely to win a Super Bowl at some point, but setting the expectations bar too high just makes for discouragement and aggravation. And there is just no fun or enjoyment in that.

Let's leave the Texans some margin to exceed expectations. Then if they are able to do that, it will really be time to celebrate.
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2011   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My expectation for this team was an AFC Championship game appearance from the start. Maybe a little unrealistic, but that is what I felt this team was capable of.

After seeing our defense over the first 4 games & realizing the true state of our division, it became more & more likely to me.

9 games into it, watching the other teams in the league & realizing just how weak the second half of our schedule "looks"... I've actually increased my expectation from not only being in the AFC Championship game, but making a strong showing (possible win).

FalseStart made my Avatar for me on 7-30-11.... that's how long my expectations has been at AFC Champions.

My only "bobble" has been after the Raiders' game. That's when I realized I don't know how this is going to play out. I haven't penciled in wins & loses or predicted how we'll win any particular game. But I'm very confident in the talent on this team... & we're playing as well as anybody. Bottom line, I don't know how we're going to get there, but I know we're going to get there.

Old 11-07-2011   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'm with you A-T. But you gotta admit that all of these other guys who are busy devising game-plans for our contest vs the Packers early next year in Indy are good for the entertainment-value ?
We won't be playing the Packers. Most likely going to be the Giants or Nawlins.
Old 11-07-2011   #70
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is not a lower goal. It is the same reasonable goal that was set at the start of the season. There are ups and downs throughout the year for most teams and the Texans are obviously no exception to that. Of course the goal is to win every game. And that is true for every team in every sport at every level.

I hope the Texans win out and win the Super Bowl this year. But I am not going to belatedly expect them to do that because I know it will likely spoil my enjoyment of this team this year and into the off-season next year. It is not about setting a "lower" goal, it is about managing expectations and not getting caught up into the negativity that is inherently associated with the manic-depressive cycle that many people around here seem to be committed to sustaining.

NFL football is entertainment to me. I enjoy the games and the competition for the playoffs and the Super Bowl title. If I look at it through the lense of either the Texans are Super Bowl champs or they suck, then where is the enjoyment in that? The Texans are likely to win a Super Bowl at some point, but setting the expectations bar too high just makes for discouragement and aggravation. And there is just no fun or enjoyment in that.
I'm sorry, but I just don't see things this way. That would be like a parent telling his kid who's been a D student all of his life that he shouldn't try to make the honor roll because the original goal starting the school year was to carry a C average even though he started off making B's and C's for the year. Its a loser's mentality in my view. There's nothing wrong with adjusting expectation during the process, but saying that we shouldn't expect or want more is for the weak minded. Just my opinion though.
Old 11-07-2011   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
The Texans are likely to win a Super Bowl at some point, but setting the expectations bar too high just makes for discouragement and aggravation. And there is just no fun or enjoyment in that.
I here what you are saying. Like, where has Rex Ryan got to go now? He's been telling that team they were Super Bowl contenders & failed to get there two years in a row. How does he continue to sell that to that club? & how do they continue to buy it?

I personally won't be aggravated in the least if the team gave it their best shot & fell short. Of course, I've got my own idea of their "best shot" & they've yet to live up to it.

Still, my aggravation level has remained tempered.

Old 11-07-2011   #72
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans are likely to win a Super Bowl at some point
Is it too much to ask to win one before Big Bud kicks it? I want him to see us win it before he goes.
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #73
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I just don't see things this way. That would be like a parent telling his kid who's been a D student all of his life that he shouldn't try to make the honor roll because the original goal starting the school year was to carry a C average even though he started off making B's and C's for the year. Its a loser's mentality in my view. There's nothing wrong with adjusting expectation during the process, but saying that we shouldn't expect or want more is for the weak minded. Just my opinion though.
I think people are missing the valid point Mojo is making. Your analogy of parenting is off. Yes as a parent you always set perfection as the goal. But yearly as fans people make all sorts of predictions (which is a different animal than hopes or goals). If a person was predicting 8-8 before the season then they shouldn't complain if the Texans go 11-5 but don't get the #1 seed. You didn't expect it in the first place. If the Texans are the #2 seed they should still be saying "they are doing better than I thought they would."
Old 11-07-2011   #74
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think people are missing the valid point Mojo is making. Your analogy of parenting is off. Yes as a parent you always set perfection as the goal. But yearly as fans people make all sorts of predictions (which is a different animal than hopes or goals). If a person was predicting 8-8 before the season then they shouldn't complain if the Texans go 11-5 but don't get the #1 seed. You didn't expect it in the first place. If the Texans are the #2 seed they should still be saying "they are doing better than I thought they would."
I understand what he's trying to say, but in my opinion its not one that I feel like good teams have. Let's set our expectations lower so we won't be disappointed if they don't reach it? I'm sorry, its just not the way I live life. Like I said, it comes off as a loser's mentality IN MY OPINION. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I just don't like that way of thinking. This is a year where the AFC wide open so while winning the division is great, there's no reason why we can't be a team with Super Bowl aspirations. The sooner we start shedding this "loser's mentality", the better we'll be for it.
Old 11-07-2011   #75
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand what he's trying to say, but in my opinion its not one that I feel like good teams have. Let's set our expectations lower so we won't be disappointed if they don't reach it? I'm sorry, its just not the way I live life. Like I said, it comes off as a loser's mentality IN MY OPINION. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I just don't like that way of thinking. This is a year where the AFC wide open so while winning the division is great, there's no reason why we can't be a team with Super Bowl aspirations. The sooner we start shedding this "loser's mentality", the better we'll be for it.
No you are still missing the point.

He isn't talking about what the team expects. Yes they should expect to win every game.

He is talking about fans
and that has jack to do with loser mentality, yada, yada. That's called being honest. If you as a fan predicted 8-8 before the season then if they go 11-5 don't piss and moan they weren't 13-3.

Even if you choose to piss and moan it won't affect the team and won't help them have a winner's mentality.

Whose perspective is being discussed matters.
Old 11-07-2011   #76
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No you are still missing the point.

He isn't talking about what the team expects. Yes they should expect to win every game.

He is talking about fans
and that has jack to do with loser mentality, yada, yada. That's called being honest. If you as a fan predicted 8-8 before the season then if they go 11-5 don't piss and moan they weren't 13-3.

Even if you choose to piss and moan it won't affect the team and won't help them have a winner's mentality.

Whose perspective is being discussed matters.
I understand that he's talking about the fans, but its still a loser's mentality IN MY OPINION. I'll put it in bold again so you see it. As a fan I won't hesitate to set expectations for a team I root for high because I'm scared they won't meet them. To me, that's just silly. I expected for the Rockets to compete for an NBA championship last year and it didn't happen. Will that keep me from expecting that from them again? Of course not. Sorry, but this is just a difference of opinions that we share on this one. You can temper your expectations so you don't get let down, but I'm not afraid of that. I expect for this team to do great things. Should they not do that like they have in years past, then so be it. But I won't have a loser's mentality and say I expect them to just make the playoffs in a weak division this year.
Old 11-07-2011   #77
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubry View Post
Found something similar over on ESPN with a little more detail. If I'm reading it correctly, we would have a first round bye.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/t...nk/order/false
WAITAMINIT!!
How is it that NFL.com has the Chargers on top of the AFC West and ESPN has KC leading?? Does ESPN have it's own rules?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I understand that he's talking about the fans, but its still a loser's mentality IN MY OPINION. I'll put it in bold again so you see it. As a fan I won't hesitate to set expectations for a team I root for high because I'm scared they won't meet them. To me, that's just silly. I expected for the Rockets to compete for an NBA championship last year and it didn't happen. Will that keep me from expecting that from them again? Of course not. Sorry, but this is just a difference of opinions that we share on this one. You can temper your expectations so you don't get let down, but I'm not afraid of that. I expect for this team to do great things. Should they not do that like they have in years past, then so be it. But I won't have a loser's mentality and say I expect them to just make the playoffs in a weak division this year.
If your expectations were for the Texans to win the AFC Championship game, then this doesn't apply to you.

Mojo (& infantrycak) are just saying if people had the expectation that the Texans would be one & done Wild Card weekend then they shouldn't get their panties in a bunch if they lose after a first round bye.

You & I aren't in that category, we expect to see them in the AFC Championship game.

To put this in perspective, if your expectation is for the team to win the AFC Championship game you shouldn't be disappointed if they get blown out in the Super Bowl..... since they exceeded your expectations, you should be satisfied that they did as well as you thought they could.
Old 11-07-2011   #79
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If your expectations were for the Texans to win the AFC Championship game, then this doesn't apply to you.

Mojo (& infantrycak) are just saying if people had the expectation that the Texans would be one & done Wild Card weekend then they shouldn't get their panties in a bunch if they lose after a first round bye.

You & I aren't in that category, we expect to see them in the AFC Championship game.

To put this in perspective, if your expectation is for the team to win the AFC Championship game you shouldn't be disappointed if they get blown out in the Super Bowl..... since they exceeded your expectations, you should be satisfied that they did as well as you thought they could.
If that's the case then I understand, but the way I took it was that no one should adjust expectations based on how the season is going which I don't understand. I've said from Day 1 this year that this team can play with anyone and that's how I feel now. You think 49ers fans are thinking about just winning the division now? No, they're thinking about winning the Super Bowl. There isn't any reason why you can't adjust your expectations as the season goes along. I'm not saying anything negatively towards anyone who feels that way, but its just not how I view things.

Last edited by Texn4life; 11-07-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2011   #80
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

As someone who was a Cowboys fan before switching over to the Texans, this has been one of the biggest differences I've seen in the fan bases. Cowboys fans want/expect a Super Bowl almost every year, regardless of whether it's really realistic that the team will get there. I don't think any Cowboys fan is really happy with anything less than a Super Bowl victory (there are maybe a couple of years in history that were an exception, when it was a clear rebuilding year, like the very beginning of the Jimmy Johnson era). Texans fans tend to be more realistic, and it's why most people would be happy with finally getting to the playoffs this year.

I know that the fan attitude is not player attitude, but I think there's probably some bleedover, at least from fans->front office->players. Lots of people have remarked on McNair being "too" patient with coaches and stuff (just compare to Jerry Jones - would Kubiak still be here?). While McNair seems happy with improvement, Jones seems unhappy with less than a clear run toward a Super Bowl.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read