Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2011   #41
ADTpaul
ADT Security

Rep Power: 35 ADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks Reed

Reed has exceled in his rookie season so far. He has given quick contributions with 4 sacks, bunch of QB hits, and hurries! I would say he has been an awesome selection for a second round drafted player. J.J. Watts looks good as well n got a fumble recover early.
ADTpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #42
ADTpaul
ADT Security

Rep Power: 35 ADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Obviously, since you don't value Mario very much, this make alot of sense to you. To us that highly value him, we don't think getting rid of him will make us better.

You can make the same argument about Foster since Tate is playing so well. I'm surprised people aren't suggesting we trade or do not re-sign Foster.
You must be crazy not to resign Foster! Pay the man when hes done well unlike guys named Chris Johnson and Peyton Hillis. Complain and then not perform well on the field. Praise Foster for just playing hard and not whinning. Pay him Rick lol
ADTpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #43
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think when the FO look at this situation with Mario they are thinking so black and white about either re-signing him or letting him go.

I think they will try to keep him and offer him what they feel he's worth to the team.

I think the emergence of Brooks Reed probably knocks a couple of million $ per year off Mario's value to this team, but wouldn't think for a second that they aren't going to make him an offer and for good money too.

Demarcus Ware is earning around $13M a year for the Cowboys, Mario is down for $13.8M. That is a lot against the cap, but then again the guy was beasting it before he went down.

I also somewhat cautiously await the rookie wall for JJ Watt and Brooks Reed, especially if we go deep in the playoffs. Amobi Okoye hit the rookie wall and never recovered as I remember so there is a note of caution to anyone suddenly writing Mario off.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #44
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by carr bombed View Post
you and me both brother.

You know what i have to say to those people... We aren't "mario haters", they're overall "team haters". They have to knock everyone on the team down (antonio smith anyone) in order to elevate "their guy" even higher. They can't give any props when it's truly due to other players, if it might make their "guy" look less significant.
amen!!!!!
Old 11-07-2011   #45
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Give the man some props for stepping in and playing at a high level.

4 starts, 4 sacks. One away from the team lead. Brooks is putting together a pretty solid season since he was thrown into the fire. What more can you ask from a 2nd round rookie?
How is he with a smoker?
Old 11-07-2011   #46
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Anyone who wants Brooks instead of Mario is silly. BUT, it comes down to what will Mario's contract demands be?

Brooks has proven and can start and play well. He has issues, which hopefully can improve with experience and coaching.
I think, regardless of his demands, we keep Mario next year. If the demands are such that the team finds it hard to keep Mario and Foster then you slap that franchise tag on Mario and see what happens. There will be a way to keep both of them. Reed, Barwin, and Mario makes for a great rotation.
Old 11-07-2011   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
If it frees up a crap load of cap space it does INDEED make us a better team. We can fill holes elsewhere and resign players like Arian Foster, so moving on without Mario can indeed make us a better team.
I think we will be able to sign foster and Mario. I can't remember the last time a team let someone of mario's caliber walk because they couldn't afford him. That's not going to happen. Someone will restructure, cap moves will be made, he will be signed IMO.

As far as filling other holes. . .???

What gaping holes are you looking to fill in free agency that we can't attempt to fill in the draft?

Brooks reed, Mario, and barwin in a healthy rotation makes me excited.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2011   #48
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think we will be able to sign foster and Mario. I can't remember the last time a team let someone of mario's caliber walk because they couldn't afford him. That's not going to happen. Someone will restructure, cap moves will be made, he will be signed IMO.

As far as filling other holes. . .???

What gaping holes are you looking to fill in free agency that we can't attempt to fill in the draft?

Mario makes me excited.
there I fixed it for you.
Old 11-07-2011   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I think, regardless of his demands, we keep Mario next year. If the demands are such that the team finds it hard to keep Mario and Foster then you slap that franchise tag on Mario and see what happens. There will be a way to keep both of them. Reed, Barwin, and Mario makes for a great rotation.
The franshise tag, imo, is the wrong way to go. If the tag is $16 million that will mean his cap number will be $16 million. We need to sign him to a long term contract give him $16 million + guaranteed where we can pro-rate that over several years.

A creative GM can get it done, sign Foster, & bring in whatever FA we'll need.

But it's getting harder & harder to identify where our needs are, meaning we'll probably be looking to fill areas of depth.
Old 11-07-2011   #50
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting to think that Clay Matthews and not Brooks Reed is the great impersonator ? Matthews had one good season and right now in his third year in the league and has only 3 sacks, while Reed has 4 even though he's played far less in 2011 than the packers LB.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #51
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The franshise tag, imo, is the wrong way to go. If the tag is $16 million that will mean his cap number will be $16 million. We need to sign him to a long term contract give him $16 million + guaranteed where we can pro-rate that over several years.

A creative GM can get it done, sign Foster, & bring in whatever FA we'll need.

But it's getting harder & harder to identify where our needs are, meaning we'll probably be looking to fill areas of depth.
Things are changing here. Who would thought someone say something like this. I am enjoying every minute of our current situation. Let us take to the playoffs!!! Texans' fans deserve this.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #52
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Brooks Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post

That would be nice, I just have a gut feeling there's going to be one palm too many out stretched in the off season. I hope I am wrong!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #53
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

In a perfect world, we can keep Mario and pay Foster his big contract. In the same perfect world, I watch them both play for us while Jennifer Connelly rubs my feet and Scarlett Johansson feeds me grapes.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #54
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Again, You guys can say what you want, but those other guys simply aren't getting off with Reed like they were when mario was in there. & what's more is that we've hit a soft part of the schedule where that should've been more prevalent...It hasn't happened. Take what you will from that, but the evidence is there.

You guys actually think that we're going to let a proven talent like Mario go b/c a rookie has shown a few flashes? Get real.

#1... Mario's rookie contract was surprisingly cap friendly for a #1 overall pick which is how he got into the picture for #1 overall in 2006 in the 1st place. So why then would you guys think he wouldn't sign another cap-friendly contract with him coming off a season ending injury where he has 0 leverage?

#2, Mario's a team guy & always has been. In fact, coming out of college this was 1 of the pluses about him...he'll do what you ask him to do...

If Reed continues to excel & we're unable to justify keeping him off the field, the more likely scenario is that Mario will be resigned with a cap friendly contract, he'll go back down on the line @ DE & a few other less significant guys will be let go of to compensate. I'm thinking Cody & or Smith could be the odd guys out. Hell even Meco could be at risk considering his lessened role on the defense & the fact that sharpton has steadily improved & was coming on before his injury. Come the draft in 2012, we draft mostly for depth.

But this is ONLY if Reed comes on like gangbusters. i'm talking 12 sacks gangbusters. What he's doing now is cool, but it's not to the point where it justifies inserting him into the starting lineup over Mario imo.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #55
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i think he is what he is. a solid rookie OLB in an ideal system with great play around him and extremely little attention from opposing offenses. the same knocks applied to mario beating tightends (he's supposed to make the play) need to be applied to unblocked reed (he's supposed to make the play). i dont mean to diminish what he's done, because the results are there, but he's got plenty of work to do. i think he'll only get better, but i'm hesitant to heap on too much praise.

Yep..but will Mario.

Old 11-07-2011   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Again, You guys can say what you want, but those other guys simply aren't getting off with Reed like they were when mario was in there. & what's more is that we've hit a soft part of the schedule where that should've been more prevalent...It hasn't happened. Take what you will from that, but the evidence is there.
If time were to stop right now, you'd be absolutely 100% correct. But we've got 7+ games left to play. Young guys like Reed, Watt, Barwin... you haven't seen their best football yet & I think that's why people are so excited about them.

The fact is that Reed was drafted in the event that Mario couldn't make the transition, or that Barwin couldn't make the transition, or that Barwin wasn't ready to play, or that Mario got injured.

So if the front 5 continues to play like they did Sunday, progress & bring that kind of production against a quality opponent (Atlanta, Cincy, Carolina) then we won't be the only ones talking about Mario's value to this team.

Leach had value to this team, other teams had more value for him & what he brought..... that's just the way it goes sometime.

I like Mario... I've got 3 jerseys, red, white & blue.... I don't want to see him continue his production for another team.

But it is what it is. Regardless how good our pass rush looks without him, it will be better with him... so we'll always have room for him on the team. But if the team decides they can find better use of the money... oh well.

But personally, I think it's silly to be making that decision now.

edit After reading the rest of your post, it seems like we agree more than we disagree.

However, regardless of what Reed does, Barwin would be the odd man out, unless he's into double digit sacks as well.
Old 11-07-2011   #57
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Brooks Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
the more likely scenario is that Mario will be resigned with a cap friendly contract.
I really don't think anyone would poo poo keeping Mario and Foster - but I think you are making a BIG assumption with that plausibility of that.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I hope people are saying Brooks is better than Mario right now today (injury aside).
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #58
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
In a perfect world, we can keep Mario and pay Foster his big contract. In the same perfect world, I watch them both play for us while Jennifer Connelly rubs my feet and Scarlett Johansson feeds me grapes.
Isn't the salary cap suppose to increase in 2013? Franchise Mario, give Arian a contract, then resign Mario the next offseason.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #59
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'm starting to think that Clay Matthews and not Brooks Reed is the great impersonator ? Matthews had one good season and right now in his third year in the league and has only 3 sacks, while Reed has 4 even though he's played far less in 2011 than the packers LB.
I asked you this before - which of his seasons was that one good season? The ten sack season where he was runner up for DROY, or the 13.5 sack season where he was All Pro and an integral part of a Super Bowl winning defense?
Old 11-07-2011   #60
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I asked you this before - which of his seasons was that one good season? The ten sack season where he was runner up for DROY, or the 13.5 sack season where he was All Pro and an integral part of a Super Bowl winning defense?
You gotta a gotcha - I'd forgotten he had a double-digit sack total his rookie year ? OK, when I'm wrong (or mistaken) I'm wrong - it's a bit too early for him to be written off but what is his problem with this years low productivety ? Injuries ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read