Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2011   #1
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brooks Reed

Give the man some props for stepping in and playing at a high level.

4 starts, 4 sacks. One away from the team lead. Brooks is putting together a pretty solid season since he was thrown into the fire. What more can you ask from a 2nd round rookie?
Old 11-06-2011   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks Reed

This is beginning to beg the question, the old chicken and egg story:

Is it the player or the coordinator?

Because supposedly we were DOOMED when Mario Williams got hurt andis out for the year................

I was saying back in the preseason that IF Wade Phillips is who we historically know him to be (a builder of good defenses) and IF he is given some goods to work with here, then Mario Williams or no Mario Williams we should see a good defense this year.

Let's also remember that we're talking about the Browns here. Let's see what happens against a good passing team like the Bengals. Anybody else watching this Bengals-Titans game right now? Dude, the Bengals are no joke. Dalton is making great decisions all game long. His accuracy is top notch. The passing plays are down-the-field and effective.

Jeff Triplett's bunch is reff'ing this game and they are calling a penalty on every other play. Isn't this bunch the most penalizing crew out there? It's incredible. Every other play there is holding or a personal foul or some such.
Old 11-06-2011   #3
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22304 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This is beginning to beg the question, the old chicken and egg story:

Is it the player or the coordinator?

Because supposedly we were DOOMED when Mario Williams got hurt andis out for the year................

I was saying back in the preseason that IF Wade Phillips is who we historically know him to be (a builder of good defenses) and IF he is given some goods to work with here, then Mario Williams or no Mario Williams we should see a good defense this year.

Let's also remember that we're talking about the Browns here. Let's see what happens against a good passing team like the Bengals. Anybody else watching this Bengals-Titans game right now? Dude, the Bengals are no joke. Dalton is making great decisions all game long. His accuracy is top notch. The passing plays are down-the-field and effective.

Jeff Triplett's bunch is reff'ing this game and they are calling a penalty on every other play. Isn't this bunch the most penalizing crew out there? It's incredible. Every other play there is holding or a personal foul or some such.
The question will be answered once we face elite QB's in the playoffs.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
The question will be answered once we face elite QB's in the playoffs.
Brooks is growing into his role. Two sacks against any NFL team is a milestone.
Old 11-06-2011   #5
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's been nothing short of bad ass.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #6
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5174 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Still young and learning. Ran by Colt a couple of times or he could have more sacks. Also got fooled by a screen play twice. But he has a great motor and is very fast... Just needs to stop using his momentum against himself.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think he is what he is. a solid rookie OLB in an ideal system with great play around him and extremely little attention from opposing offenses. the same knocks applied to mario beating tightends (he's supposed to make the play) need to be applied to unblocked reed (he's supposed to make the play). i dont mean to diminish what he's done, because the results are there, but he's got plenty of work to do. i think he'll only get better, but i'm hesitant to heap on too much praise.
Old 11-06-2011   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Brooks Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
Well, I always knew he could do it but if he can really keep it up against top class O-lines. He's really going to give Mario something to think about in the offseason.
Fixed it for you.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #9
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22304 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Brooks is growing into his role. Two sacks against any NFL team is a milestone.
Not saying he isn't.. Just saying and asking how he will perform in important games. Hopefully he will perform great.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #10
cdain1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 cdain1 is a quality contributor and well respectedcdain1 is a quality contributor and well respectedcdain1 is a quality contributor and well respectedcdain1 is a quality contributor and well respectedcdain1 is a quality contributor and well respectedcdain1 is a quality contributor and well respectedcdain1 is a quality contributor and well respectedcdain1 is a quality contributor and well respectedcdain1 is a quality contributor and well respectedcdain1 is a quality contributor and well respectedcdain1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i think he is what he is. a solid rookie OLB in an ideal system with great play around him and extremely little attention from opposing offenses. the same knocks applied to mario beating tightends (he's supposed to make the play) need to be applied to unblocked reed (he's supposed to make the play). i dont mean to diminish what he's done, because the results are there, but he's got plenty of work to do. i think he'll only get better, but i'm hesitant to heap on too much praise.
cdain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

spend most of your time on the official forum?
Old 11-06-2011   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

playing decent for a rook but lets not kid ourselves.. on alot of his impact plays/sacks, hes been unblocked.. hes missed a couple other unblocked ones too

good start to his career though
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #13
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7394 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I know some people are going to want to turn this into another Brooks vs. Mario question but with the way hes playing right now I would love to see them on the field starting together. Reed has that natural pass rush instinct and edge speed for the position. Barwin is playing some excellent football as well but Reed is really killing it. Man, I love watching our defense.
Old 11-06-2011   #14
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not going to over-praise the man, I'm just giving him props for being an impact player on a damn good defense. That's right, I said it, a damn good defense.

I agree with Scooter and others here that he needs work, but the tools/motor are there for a solid OLB in our system. Still a work in progress, but the man has a chance to break the all-time rookie sack record (5.5...pathetic but that's another bitching session) without starting 25% of the season.

Cush. Captain Meco. Connor. Reed. Not a bad LB group!
Old 11-06-2011   #15
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Props for calling this. It's clear to me that Wade is a miracle worker.
Old 11-06-2011   #16
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
I'm not going to over-praise the man, I'm just giving him props for being an impact player on a damn good defense. That's right, I said it, a damn good defense.

I agree with Scooter and others here that he needs work, but the tools/motor are there for a solid OLB in our system. Still a work in progress, but the man has a chance to break the all-time rookie sack record (5.5...pathetic but that's another bitching session) without starting 25% of the season.

Cush. Captain Meco. Connor. Reed. Not a bad LB group!
couldnt agree more, especially about the motor. he's got strong moves and is a 60 minute worker, reed has a ton of upside especially in this system. wade has turned futility into a top defense with effort - leaning on guys like reed, cushing, watt, manning, smith - hustle never give up types. reed isnt a major pass rusher yet though and has some work to do to be a more complete linebacker. he may become one, but right now he's taking advantage of being an afterthought for offenses. i hate that i sound like i'm knocking the guy, because like i said the results are there and that's all that matters.

and you might want to change it to Meco and Captain Cush.
Old 11-06-2011   #17
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Brooks Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I know some people are going to want to turn this into another Brooks vs. Mario question but with the way hes playing right now I would love to see them on the field starting together.
Anyone who wants Brooks instead of Mario is silly. BUT, it comes down to what will Mario's contract demands be?

Brooks has proven and can start and play well. He has issues, which hopefully can improve with experience and coaching.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #18
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 13195 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we'll see Mario in a Texans uniform next year.
Old 11-06-2011   #19
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
I don't think we'll see Mario in a Texans uniform next year.
i agreed with this before the trade deadline. we absolutely cant let that much talent leave without compensation though ... possibly with a franchise and trade? my guess is we give mario and foster their long term deals at the expense of a familiar name or two.
Old 11-06-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks still struggles to get off blocks when linemen get their hands on him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read