Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-04-2011   #41
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eat Crow Myers Haters

Just because he's good now doesn't mean he was good back then.

Old 11-04-2011   #42
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Just because he's good now doesn't mean he was good back then.

Because one play defines a player. You troll.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #43
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the glory here of this thread myself Vin. I mean, where were all of these Myers haters to begin with?? It's not like he was ever even relevant enough to have a ton of haters. If he did, it was because he wasn't playing well, so the criticism was warranted. What is next, some thread where a die hard Jacoby Jones fan is beating his chest because he has a stretch of impressive games and calls everyone a bunch of haters. Lol! This thread is silly.
Uuugh...Din't we have one of those?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Myers struggles when he faces large athletic NTs. He had difficulty with Ngata Soliai, Aubrayo Franklin, and Seymour. He would struggle against Raji or Wilfork as well. That's not a knock on him, but a 292 lb center is simply no match for a 330 lb NT. There is only so much that can be done when you give up 40 lbs.
If you see Myers playing one of those guys one-on-one, something went terribly wrong.

The reason so many people thought Myers sucked, is because they try to compare him to Mangold & other traditional centers. Centers who play the NT one on one.

Myers is a technician at slipping the NT to a guard, he gets to the second level & blocks an ILB. He's done that very well ever since he got here.
Old 11-06-2011   #45
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that worried me was that Myers was a 3rd year pro at the time we picked him up. Usually a player has shown what he can do by then. I'm glad that he figured it out, and I imagine got coached up. I think one thing that hurt him was that first impressions were somewhat bad and it took too long to shake them.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
The thing that worried me was that Myers was a 3rd year pro at the time we picked him up. Usually a player has shown what he can do by then. I'm glad that he figured it out, and I imagine got coached up. I think one thing that hurt him was that first impressions were somewhat bad and it took too long to shake them.
The problem with Myers is the same problem, Shaun Cody, & Kareem Jackson have.

They are being judged from an ideal most of the fans share about the perfect player to fit that position. For Cody, it's a big fat athletic NT. For Kj it's a play-making shut down corner.

When we got Meyers, everyone wanted Mangold. So they're judging Meyers by the "what would Mangold have done" standard.

Even though they play the same position, they are two different types of centers who go about their jobs totally different ways. Mangold is the anchor of his line. He is the Keystone. He takes on NTs one on one & fights that battle in the trenches.

Meyers does not. The Guards man the battle in the trenches, the Guards take on those one on ones. Meyers job (like a LB) is to get free into the second level. His game, the technique he practices, is all about shedding that NT, quickly getting to the second level, & making life miserable for the first ILB he sees.

He's been doing that since he's been here. I personally think he's grading out better now, because his efforts are being realized now that we have better play at the guard level.

If you see Meyers one on one with a DT, something went horribly wrong.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read