Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2011   #21
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eat Crow Myers Haters

LOL "haters"
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #22
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
rim shot

On the larger topic, can someone please point out a Myers hater? Most people I talk to (that are hard core followers) are all pleased with his play.
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the glory here of this thread myself Vin. I mean, where were all of these Myers haters to begin with?? It's not like he was ever even relevant enough to have a ton of haters. If he did, it was because he wasn't playing well, so the criticism was warranted. What is next, some thread where a die hard Jacoby Jones fan is beating his chest because he has a stretch of impressive games and calls everyone a bunch of haters. Lol! This thread is silly.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #23
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Myers struggles when he faces large athletic NTs. He had difficulty with Ngata Soliai, Aubrayo Franklin, and Seymour. He would struggle against Raji or Wilfork as well. That's not a knock on him, but a 292 lb center is simply no match for a 330 lb NT. There is only so much that can be done when you give up 40 lbs.

In fact look at the way the wording of the article

"Myers will only face two “true” 3-4 defenses, along with the Ravens who play some 3-4 but operate with a nose tackle on most plays, and those tests are behind him. For the rest of the season Myers faces the sort of 4-3 defense that he excels against, working laterally to pick up and pass off blocks from guards and working to the second level."

See, Myers excels against the smaller quick DTs that routinely are on the field in 4-3 packages.

Myers success this year is partially due to being healthy and not having to deal with a lot of 3-4 athletic NTs.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #24
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the glory here of this thread myself Vin. I mean, where were all of these Myers haters to begin with?? It's not like he was ever even relevant enough to have a ton of haters. If he did, it was because he wasn't playing well, so the criticism was warranted. What is next, some thread where a die hard Jacoby Jones fan is beating his chest because he has a stretch of impressive games and calls everyone a bunch of haters. Lol! This thread is silly.
Well I personally had some pretty intense arguments with some posters on here about it, specifically before the 2009 draft. There was quite a campaign building to draft/sign Myers' replacement immediately because "we couldn't go on with him as our center." My argument was his negative plays had been magnified by the media and people on here, and he really wasn't as bad as he was made out to be when you look at his body of work. The argument carried on past the draft, into the 08 and 09 seasons, all the way to last year when people started to come around on him.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #25
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Well I personally had some pretty intense arguments with some posters on here about it, specifically before the 2009 draft. There was quite a campaign building to draft/sign Myers' replacement immediately because "we couldn't go on with him as our center." My argument was his negative plays had been magnified by the media and people on here, and he really wasn't as bad as he was made out to be when you look at his body of work. The argument carried on past the draft, into the 08 and 09 seasons, all the way to last year when people started to come around on him.
That's cool man. I just never even thought of Myers as a guy that anyone would have argued that much over any way. It is very good to see that he is having a breakout season.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Props to Myers.
Old 11-03-2011   #27
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts
Caldwell has never been an expected starter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
any player you take in rounds 1,2, or 3 are expected to start eventually.
Personally, I think it was the drafting of Caldwell that kinda lit a fire under Myers. As I recall, it was speculated by some of our draftniks - during and after the 2009 draft - that Caldwell was selected to take Myers' job. And to Myers' credit, he stepped up and didn't let that happen.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2011   #28
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...-center-stage/

Myself and all of the others on here who have defended Chris Myers from the beginning, let's all give ourselves a pat on the back if you haven't already.

The haters? Eat up (yea its a chicken but pretends its a crow)
Dude!! Duuuude!!!!! Eff off! I've eaten crow several times including within the last couple of days!
Old 11-03-2011   #29
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

will say this much, especially on the OL it takes time to work well in the grp
Old 11-03-2011   #30
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Personally, I think it was the drafting of Caldwell that kinda lit a fire under Myers. As I recall, it was speculated by some of our draftniks - during and after the 2009 draft - that Caldwell was selected to take Myers' job. And to Myers' credit, he stepped up and didn't let that happen.
Also could be true, good point.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Myers struggles when he faces large athletic NTs. He had difficulty with Ngata Soliai, Aubrayo Franklin, and Seymour. He would struggle against Raji or Wilfork as well. That's not a knock on him, but a 292 lb center is simply no match for a 330 lb NT. There is only so much that can be done when you give up 40 lbs.

In fact look at the way the wording of the article

"Myers will only face two “true” 3-4 defenses, along with the Ravens who play some 3-4 but operate with a nose tackle on most plays, and those tests are behind him. For the rest of the season Myers faces the sort of 4-3 defense that he excels against, working laterally to pick up and pass off blocks from guards and working to the second level."

See, Myers excels against the smaller quick DTs that routinely are on the field in 4-3 packages.

Myers success this year is partially due to being healthy and not having to deal with a lot of 3-4 athletic NTs.
bottom line is Myers strength is his second level ability and his nimble feet, not his smash mouth blocking. That can be said for many centers though. Its a strange dynamic at the center position because the C is usually the smallest linemen on the O-line (they have to be more flexible than most of the mammoth linemen in the NFL) but the center usually always blocks the largest player on the defense (NT) when facing an odd front. So long story short, Myers plays best against even (uncovered ie 4-3) fronts, and isn't as productive vs an odd man front (3-4). I'm backing up your post, not educating you fwiw.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #32
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Myers had a high ankle sprain his second season I believe. It happened in camp and I'm sure it never healed completely that year. He has progressed ever since.
Yes, in Aug 2009.
Old 11-03-2011   #33
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
DUDE!! Are you that ignorant?? I've stated many times that I bagged on Myers and since have eatin' crow.... yet several times!! Get over yourself as the "all know of everything about everything"!!!

Please!
Old 11-03-2011   #34
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 135847 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Myers also threw one hell of a retirement party for Kris Jenkins...so I hear hahaha.
To this day, I've never seen a grown man more manhandled and tossed around like Myers was in that game. Call me a hater, realist, or whatever you want. It's a fact. In the words of Pedro Martinez, Jenkins was Myers daddy after that game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #35
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

for the rooks..

pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #36
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I ate my crow in the last thread about Myers .... He made a big leap last season and its carried over to this season ..... Just hope he stays at this level of play (or better) for a long time.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Up until last year, I wasn't happy with the interior of our line. I wanted to improve our center and our guards. I was hoping Caldwell and Shelly Smith would step in and do some good. I was hoping Caldwell would improve the center spot and Smith, the right guard.

I expected Wade Smith to be another Jordan Black.

I was wrong. This group, with the addition of Wade Smith, really gelled and has been playing very well the past couple of years.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #38
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I already ate up a big bowl of it but here's to another.

Just don't act like the criticism at the time wasn't deserved. Good on him for making the jump from extremely medicore to above average but he WAS extremely mediocre for a good long while.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #39
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well I can't speak for all Myers' defenders, but my stance the entire time was give him time and let him develop, as every player deserves a learning grace period. People flipped because he had a few freak plays that looked especially bad and jumped to conclusions.

In fact, if the front office wasn't as irrational and impatient as the Myers haters on this board, maybe they wouldn't have wasted a 3rd round pick on current bust Antoine Caldwell. Mike Wallace was selected 7 picks later.
Do you really think Schaub could throw to Mike Wallace? We would have to have a cut off man to get it deep to this burner. He is in a perfect place for his skill set.
Old 11-04-2011   #40
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought he sucked a couple years ago, which he did. He's playing good now. If that's considered "eating crow"....okay

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read