Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2005   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Were Oilers fans this negative?

I realize the internet was not around at that time and therefore there was not a forum that gave people instantaneuos gratification, but this is getting ridiculous. I was a Cowboy fan until I moved back to Austin in 1999 and shortly thereafter Houston was awarded the franchise and I have been a die hard since. But I am getting to wonder if this negativity is a Houston thing or if we do indeed have many UT people on this board (because UT fans are never happy and will try to fire or promote a coach/player and all of their relatives). I am a UT fan, but prefer to watch on television as our fans are radio show quote artists, have no pulse or are just inebriated.

I do have to ask our Texans fans that seem to be hot about our draft and in general the direction the team is going, what were and are your expectations? CC I do not believe wavered on addressing the teams needs and his overall assessment of the talent available in the draft. He is deleting overpaid veterans who were nothing more than a crutch to get us where we are today, did anyone truly believe Sharper and Glenn would be with the Texans for the remiander of thier careers? If so, then getting better and salary cap heaven may have not been in your forecast. If you do not want to build organically and allow sometime for these players please do not be so negative, throw some constructive criticism in here.

I like the fact that Capers and CC are taking it slow while at the same time showing improvement in the W column every year. Hell, Capers should know what is like to mortgage your future for one shot at a title, see Carolina in the mid nineties.

One intesting sidebar to all that is going around, there is no pressure on Carr and the OL right now as all the questions are being directed to the staff and defense. I am concerend about the OL's progress and hope rather than trust it will be better this year.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #2
JfromthaTray
Veteran

To quote another posters remarks, "we are all armchair quaterbacks". With that said, I believe many of us think that management has made its share of questionable moves and are just voicing our opinions. I would lable us more "passionate" but equally loyal to the team. I for one think that trading up for Babin was a bad move. I also never liked the Benny Joppru pick from the beginning. I think we should have gone after O linemen with both of those picks. I think they should have traded up for Jeff Faine the center from Notre Dame. As for the house cleaning, I agree 100% with you on it. And if we weren't paying G-Funk 11 mil (I think) he would be next.
JfromthaTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromthaTray
To quote another posters remarks, "we are all armchair quaterbacks". With that said, I believe many of us think that management has made its share of questionable moves and are just voicing our opinions. I would lable us more "passionate" but equally loyal to the team. I for one think that trading up for Babin was a bad move. I also never liked the Benny Joppru pick from the beginning. I think we should have gone after O linemen with both of those picks. I think they should have traded up for Jeff Faine the center from Notre Dame. As for the house cleaning, I agree 100% with you on it. And if we weren't paying G-Funk 11 mil (I think) he would be next.

So you dont like the Joppru pick because you predicted he would get injuries???

Babin will pay off soon enough... you will see.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

if we can get production out of TJ like we did from Babin in his first year and Babin shows the marked improvement that we should expect from a first round pick after starting his first year, then we should be in a very good shape

Unfortunatley for our fans we have not had any "sexy" picks since the 2003 draft of AJ. But in this league sex does not sell and I will take the lunch box variety guys we have.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #5
JfromthaTray
Veteran

I also never liked the Benny Joppru pick from the beginning. I think we should have gone after O linemen with both of those picks.

Who said anything about predicting injuries?
Old 04-26-2005   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I also never liked the Benny Joppru pick from the beginning. I think we should have gone after O linemen with both of those picks. Who said anything about predicting injuries?
Because you didnt state why you didnt like him. Joppru was a STUD TE coming out of college and a great pick for our TE future at the time.... ONLY hampered by injuries.

I only assume you dont like him becuase you have never seen him play in the NFL.... due to injuries, hindsight 20/20,etc.... unless you state otherwise.
Old 04-26-2005   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

SO I guess its just that we didnt pick an OL with our 2nd round pick?? Didnt we take OL in that draft? I could be wrong.

I think we took Pitts and Weary in the first 4 rounds of 2002. We also took Wand in the 3rd round in the 2003 draft... not to mention we were hoping Boselli was coming back that year.

Joppru was a GOOD pick at the time.

Last edited by Tailgate; 04-26-2005 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2005   #8
JfromthaTray
Veteran

I'll talk really slooowwww Wee should have takkeenn linemen with both of those picks. Thats why I didn't like the picks.

"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth??" Chris Tucker
Old 04-26-2005   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
I'll talk really slooowwww Wee should have takkeenn linemen with both of those picks. Thats why I didn't like the picks.

"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth??" Chris Tucker
Hold off on the sarcasm there chief.

I guess YOU didnt see in my post where we took 3 O linemen in the top 4 rounds in those 2 years...and were still hoping to get Boselli back as well?

Lets put it this way... TE was a big need that we addressed and 99% of Texans fans were all for that pick. Guess you are the 1% with your "dissapproval".
Old 04-26-2005   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The forum is kinda funny like that during the draft. During the season everyone was complaining about Glennís play and wanted him replaced. Now the management team is driving the Texans into the dirt because Glenn was replaced. That's just a small piece of the picture though. I made a post about the incredible negativity that would follow the draft in some thread a few weeks ago. It manifests itself in different manners but it happens every year the same way. The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Itís as predictable as the Swallows of Capistrano.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #11
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The forum is kinda funny like that during the draft. During the season everyone was complaining about Glennís play and wanted him replaced. Now the management team is driving the Texans into the dirt because Glenn was replaced. That's just a small piece of the picture though. I made a post about the incredible negativity that would follow the draft in some thread a few weeks ago. It manifests itself in different manners but it happens every year the same way. The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Itís as predictable as the Swallows of Capistrano.
Exactly.... I feel like I am the ONLY one who remembers how OLD Glenn really looked last year.
Old 04-26-2005   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Were Oiler fans this negative? Are you kidding? Oiler fans were created in a super heated forge of negativity the likes of which few NFL fans can comprehend!

Texans fans are hopelessly optimistic compared to Oiler fans. Don't judge all Texans fans by the boards. Message boards naturally attract the most vocal portion of fans, many of which are all about the negativity.
Old 04-26-2005   #13
JfromthaTray
Veteran

Then we agree to disagree, but I thought I expressed why the 1ST time. And since hind sight is 20-20, what do we have to show for the Joppru pick. As far as I'm concerned, he's another Boselli. Miller and Breuner are doing just fine.
Old 04-26-2005   #14
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Then we agree to disagree, but I thought I expressed why the 1ST time. And since hind sight is 20-20, what do we have to show for the Joppru pick. As far as I'm concerned, he's another Boselli. Miller and Breuner are doing just fine.
Thats what I was trying to relay to you all along... I think thats what I was REALLY getting at deep down inside. Hind Sight IS 20-20... and no one could have predicted his injuries....and most who dog the Joppru pick is because the unfortunate events that has happened to him. But at the time the pick made TOTAL sense. But you did cover yourself and state you supposedly didnt like the pick waaay back then,etc..

Joppru is supposedly fully healthy and will fit into the mix somewhere this year (fingers crossed).

Miller and Breuner are doing just fine???
Old 04-26-2005   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Miller and Breuner are doing just fine.

HA HAHAH HAH HAHAA, HAAAAA HAH HA :woot HA HAHHA Oh stop, please. No more, I can breath! HAAAH HAHAHA HAHAHAA!
Old 04-26-2005   #16
JfromthaTray
Veteran

Sparring aside, I hope he turns out to be a pro bowler. I will only help the team if he does. Hervoyel, I have learned my lesson about taking on you moderators, just ask Vinny. You will get no argument from me. I'll say this, if Joppru has hands like Miller and can block like Breuner, he can be the mainstay.
Old 04-26-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hervoyel, I have learned my lesson about taking on you moderators, just ask Vinny.
Nothing says you can't debate, banter, argue with moderators about the thread topics--in that regard the moderators are just ordinary MB members. What you can't do is violate the terms of use. Hopefully this is water under the bridge.
Old 04-26-2005   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
I'll say this, if Joppru has hands like Miller and can block like Breuner, he can be the mainstay.

That's it isn't it. It's all about a TE who can do both. IMO he doesn't even need hands like Miller or the ability to block like Bruener (Though you won't see me turning my nose up at that of course) but if he can just do both adequately then we're going to get more benefit from him than either one of our existing one dimensional TE's.

To this day I still wish we'd kept Kent around a little longer.
Old 04-26-2005   #19
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

I became a negative Oiler fan when the heart and soul of the team was fired.
.. never regained the passion after Bum's exit.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #20
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gotta chime in my

Obviously you and I are not watching the same games.
Hindsight...whats to say that if we had drafted an O lineman instead of Joppru the O lineman would not also have been injured. What then? Hindsight would tell you we drafted the wrong lineman? Shoulda drafted a player that wasn't injury prone? This hindsight stuff could go on and on.
You just lost your credibility.

cac:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read