Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Offensive Line Lulls...

A good read
Quote:
The assumption coming into the season was the Texas would simply play catch-and-run with most of the NFL with an offense featuring arguably the best receiver in the league and elite players at quarterback, running back and tight end.

But it hasn’t played out exactly that way. The convenient excuse is the injuries that caused Arian Foster and Andre Johnson to miss multiple games and rarely have been on the field at the same time. Johnson missed his fourth straight game Sunday with his hamstring but should return next week.

For some reason, however, injuries alone don’t fully explain the offensive lulls that keep cropping up. The Texans lack the ability to step on a team’s throat and plant as hard as they can.
Old 11-01-2011   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Offensive Line Lulls...

The holding calls are killing alot of drives. However, to me, it means they are playing mean now. However, I still feel it's inexcusable for a group that has been together now for mostly 3 years in a row and at one point was penalized very little.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #3
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I stopped reading here:

Quote:
But what took place from there could only be described as maddening. Penalties, conservative play-calling,
Did this half-wit failure even watch the game? They were throwing bombs early and often.

Not even worth reading when the writer is that painfully stupid.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I stopped reading here:

Did this half-wit failure even watch the game? They were throwing bombs early and often.

I was complaining myself about the play-calling. Not so much the need to throw the ball down the field, but when you can predictably expect a run on first down... I got tired of it myself.

If we were going against a lesser defense, like the Titans, it's probably not an issue, but the Jags defense.... we showed them no respect by running on first down as much as we did, especially in the second half.
Old 11-01-2011   #5
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I stopped reading here:

I stopped reading at offensive line lulls. I don't think I've ever seen an offensive line be dominant 100 percent of the time. Of course the offensive line is going to have lulls. I didn't fully read the whole article, but I saw where JJ an Schaub both said the other team's defense gets paid to play too. Foolish to think that our group up front can never have an off play, series, or game here and there.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #6
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really know what to say to this.

We currently sit #5 in scoring offense in the league, and #2 in that catagory in the AFC.

Sure we've been streaky as hell on Offense, seems like we score a couple of drives running then we'll break down on a few in a row, but frankly, I'd rather be up at the top in that catagory than trying to be happy with moving the most yards and not managing to score.

Bare in mind that we struggled mightily without Arian in the redzone early on too, and we've missed AJ for half of the season so far. I don't really see where the problem is.

Maybe the saying is true, second place is just the first of the losers
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #7
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was complaining myself about the play-calling. Not so much the need to throw the ball down the field, but when you can predictably expect a run on first down... I got tired of it myself.

If we were going against a lesser defense, like the Titans, it's probably not an issue, but the Jags defense.... we showed them no respect by running on first down as much as we did, especially in the second half.
I think there is a difference between predictable and conservative. The Texans want to be a running team and a big part of establishing themselves as that is to be able to impose your will and run the rock down their throats on 1st down to make it 2nd and manageable.

I just can't fault anyone running Foster on 1st down unless you're trailing by 15+ in the 4th quarter.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2011   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

1st down runs - passes

1st quarter 2 - 1
2nd quarter 2 - 2
3rd quarter 2 - 1
4th quarter 2 - 1
Old 11-01-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
1st down runs - passes

1st quarter 2 - 1
2nd quarter 2 - 2
3rd quarter 2 - 1
4th quarter 2 - 1
Utterly predictable.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read