Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2011   #1
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Replays

There are a lot of people ripping Kubes because of his low percentage of wins on challenges, but you rarely see any calls overturned so the real question is why have it. John Gruden said tonight on MNF they should just get rid of it because it delays the game and why have it when calls are blown and they just won't change the call.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #2
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Replays

I think they should have a replay-ref who isn't involved in the actual game at all but whose sole duty is to do replays on challenges. I think a majority of the time the ref who does the challenge is biased because he doesn't want to go against what his crew called or swallow his own ego and go against what he thought the play was originally. Just my two cents.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #3
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't seen the replay from CBS but the replay they showed in the stadium, Walter's toe looked inbounds.
Old 10-31-2011   #4
BorrowMe
Rookie

Rep Power: 315 BorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope, it was out of bounds
BorrowMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #5
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
I think they should have a replay-ref who isn't involved in the actual game at all but whose sole duty is to do replays on challenges. I think a majority of the time the ref who does the challenge is biased because he doesn't want to go against what his crew called or swallow his own ego and go against what he thought the play was originally. Just my two cents.
They wouldn't even have to be at the game. It could be randomly assigned, or an odd number panel of judges vote, with a majority rule.
Old 10-31-2011   #6
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Either way, they just need to get the ego element out of it I think.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #7
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I haven't seen the replay from CBS but the replay they showed in the stadium, Walter's toe looked inbounds.
They made the right call. Walter didn't get the second foot down until after it hit white
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2011   #8
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought they got both calls right yesterday. Replay needs to stay but I agree that it needs to go to a ref who's in the booth.
Old 10-31-2011   #9
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

I think that the replays should be done like they are in college. If there is a questionable play that's very close then a replay official up in the booth buzzes down to the head referee. The replay official then tells the ref what the correct call is.

This would take away from all the confusion that some of the coaches have when it comes to replays.(Challenging plays that you aren't able to challenge) which also adds more time to the games.
Old 10-31-2011   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Yesterday, Andy Reid got two calls overturned, iirc. Some staffs are good at it and some staffs aren't.

I like having plays reviewed, I just don't know that they've found the best way to do it, yet. If they can come up with a better, more elegant way to get the plays called correctly -- great. But I'm just fine with it as it is.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
I think they should have a replay-ref who isn't involved in the actual game at all but whose sole duty is to do replays on challenges.
I think they need to get rid of challenges all together. Put a ref in the booth, a supervisor if you will. If he sees a play that is close... or flat out wrong, he rings a buzzer, tells the referee, review it, or that it's just plain wrong.

Missed calls continue to be missed calls.
Old 10-31-2011   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I thought they got both calls right yesterday. Replay needs to stay but I agree that it needs to go to a ref who's in the booth.
At the stadium, both replays they showed looked to be indisputable & we thought they were going to over turn both.

So, while I know people like to pile on Gary, those two, I think he did the right thing with the information he had.
Old 10-31-2011   #13
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
At the stadium, both replays they showed looked to be indisputable & we thought they were going to over turn both.

So, while I know people like to pile on Gary, those two, I think he did the right thing with the information he had.
Sitting at home I KNEW he would lose both challenges immediately so he needs to get better information than crowd noise (when do they ever think a challenge shouldn't be thrown) and a glance at the jumbotron. Emotion from the game should have nothing to do with his decision.

There needs to be someone up in the booth that can make an unbiased and quick decision on these things. If we currently have a guy doing this job, I'm sorry but he probably needs to go.
Old 10-31-2011   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there some site that keeps up with current coaches challenge percentage?

They said on 790 this morning than Kubiak has challenged 35 plays as a coach and lost 25 of them. That seems pretty bad.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #15
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Idk what it looked like in the stadium but you could obviously hear the cheer from the crowd when Gary threw the red flag on both occasions. I knew the Kevin Walter catch was not going to be overturned because there was not enough info to overturn it. The Ben Tate fumble was close, but once again not enough evidence to overturn it. I think the Jags may have potentially missed a chance to overturn a call on an Owen Daniels catch. After the catch was made by OD you could see the Texans coaches on the sideline telling them to snap the ball fast. Idk if it was or wasn't a catch, but that could've been a big play for the Jags.
Old 10-31-2011   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post

They said on 790 this morning than Kubiak has challenged 35 plays as a coach and lost 25 of them. That seems pretty bad.
I'm still looking for stats but as of 2008, there had been 2067 challenges and 916 reversals.

I haven't turned up anything else.
Old 10-31-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Idk what it looked like in the stadium but you could obviously hear the cheer from the crowd when Gary threw the red flag on both occasions. I knew the Kevin Walter catch was not going to be overturned because there was not enough info to overturn it. The Ben Tate fumble was close, but once again not enough evidence to overturn it. I think the Jags may have potentially missed a chance to overturn a call on an Owen Daniels catch. After the catch was made by OD you could see the Texans coaches on the sideline telling them to snap the ball fast. Idk if it was or wasn't a catch, but that could've been a big play for the Jags.
I went back and looked and the OD catch actually looked like it was good. If Del Rio had challenged that, I think he would have burned a time out, too.
Old 10-31-2011   #18
Nawzer
Alienz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I went back and looked and the OD catch actually looked like it was good. If Del Rio had challenged that, I think he would have burned a time out, too.
Thanks. OD has amazing hands, so it's more than likely he made the catch clean.
Old 10-31-2011   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The overturn ratio is roughly half across the NFL. That means the refs make some bad calls, especially when you consider that a fair number of the half that are upheld are dumb challenges anyway (Kubiak). Leave instant replay as it is.
Old 10-31-2011   #20
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post

I am surprised to hear he is that successful. I am at every game and I have never seen him win one.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read