Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2011   #21
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub's Awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It's ok to take a sack there...

But you can't fumble the ball...You know the guy was chopped...It's the NFL...You have been there for what..7 years?

Schaub has to know that the athletes in the NFL can quickly recover from a chop block.....Ideal would be to keep moving towards the boundary and buy a little time...Or just take the sack and move on from there...

But you cannot leave yourself open for the sack fumble. That just was not smart.
I get what you're saying... but it's not like Schaub was holding the ball carelessly or anything, he was about to pass the ball... he thought he had time... he didn't... it happens to every quarterback...

the bigger critisim for Schaub yesterday is that he was overthrowing and underthrowing the ball...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #22
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63719 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes the other team makes good plays. I don't see that play as an indictment of Schaub.
Old 10-31-2011   #23
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I get what you're saying... but it's not like Schaub was holding the ball carelessly or anything, he was about to pass the ball... he thought he had time... he didn't... it happens to every quarterback...

the bigger critisim for Schaub yesterday is that he was overthrowing and underthrowing the ball...
I'm probably harder on QB's than a lot of people.

I don't expect a goofy play like that from a good veteran QB...

I can see fumbling when you don't know that danger is imminent. But I expect Schaub to have more awareness than to try to wind up for a deep pass and leave himself open like that when a defender was just chopped that close to him...

JMO
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #24
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Schaub's underthrowing/overthrowing is a far greater concern than one bad play for the fumble, if he does that twice a season it won't hurt anywhere near as much as his constant inability to be in tune with Jacoby downfield.

If Schaub had any chemistry with Jacoby we'd have something special on our hands, and I'm not going overboard here, Jacoby has bad hands but at least give him the opportunity to use them, give him the chance to drop passes everywhere rather than simply over/underthrowing him constantly.

I hope Schaub is being affected by the shoulder injury, and I hope that is on the mend, because I'd hate to think he has regressed that much naturally.

Also, when Kubiak arrived all the talk was of a QB coaching guru, so far I've not seen much of that from him, he failed with Carr and sure you can say he was beyond saving, fair enough. I don't see much improvement from Schaub over the guy we traded for, he's the same player just better at avoiding injuries. And despite having paid top-dollar for backups such as Rex, Orlovsky, and Leinart, he's been unable to develop any of them into convincing back-ups. Whats all that about?
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I will say this..... Sessions made a hell of a play in that situation. I don't think Schaub anticipated him getting off the ground as quick as he did. Have to give props where props are due on that one.
I said it in another thread. Session is always good for a critical turnover against our team going back to when he played for Indy. I would think Schaub would've checked down in that situation.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #26
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The other thing I'd like to see Matt improve on is understanding that OD's hands are not located where his feet are. How many times does OD have to keep making these below the knees fingertip grabs. If OD doesn't catch that one and turn it up field, we may get beat in this game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I think Schaub's underthrowing/overthrowing is a far greater concern than one bad play for the fumble...

I will say this, I no longer question Schaub's arm strength. Some of those deep balls that were over thrown...... wow.. & that one to JJ on the sideline... perfect.

But they need to work on that more in practice. I don't understand how he can miss KDub like that.... he's been playing with the guy since 2007. & then drop it into Jacoby's bread basket when he's got stone hands.

KDub is money, get the ball close & it's a catch.
Old 10-31-2011   #28
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Dude, you're an *****... it was a play designed to go deep & Walter hadn't even gotten back to where he needed to be as you can see that from the shot of the play behind schaub. the clock speeding up in his head would've only had schaub throwing the ball away..he obviously thought he could make something happen with it..i won't put that him.

more than anything, that was just a great play by sessions as everyone did what they were supposed to, sessions just didn't go completely down when arian cut em.
Sometimes you just need to live to fight another day. Schaub should have just thrown the ball away is what my point was.
Just get rid of it or check down to an outlet guy somewhere as soon as you see Session chopped by Foster. The internal clock should be ticking in quadruple time once he saw Session there.
It was just a brainfart by Schaub, and that was the only way the Jaguars were going to score.

I was at the game, so I did not get a good look. Should the Texas have challenged that the last pitch after the fumble was in fact a forward pass?
I think that would have left them out by the 25-30 after the penalty, and it would have been easier to hold them to a field goal.
Old 10-31-2011   #29
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
Sometimes you just need to live to fight another day. Schaub should have just thrown the ball away is what my point was.
Just get rid of it or check down to an outlet guy somewhere as soon as you see Session chopped by Foster. The internal clock should be ticking in quadruple time once he saw Session there.
It was just a brainfart by Schaub, and that was the only way the Jaguars were going to score.

I was at the game, so I did not get a good look. Should the Texas have challenged that the last pitch after the fumble was in fact a forward pass?
I think that would have left them out by the 25-30 after the penalty, and it would have been easier to hold them to a field goal.
You could argue that schaub should've just thrown it away but you gotta realize this stuff is happening in split seconds. Sessions came on a blitz up the middle & forced schaub to move thereby throwing the timing of the play off from the get go. But even if schaub has a chance to throw it away:

1.) he needs someone to throw it to (or at least someone's feet to throw it to)....or he's got to get out of the pocket. The latter wasn't happening b/c the DE was right there in front of him which is why i think he chose to set back up right where he did.

2) kind of goes with #1...how many people were out in route for him to throw it away to? We can safely assume Walter & JJ were & we know Walter was going deep & wasn't even looking for the ball. JJ was on the other side of the field...which is a no no for a qb to throw across the field no matter where he was. & we know arian cut down sessions blitzing so in essence he was out of the play for the moment. That only leaves Daniels but where was he for schaub to check it down / throw it away to?

I'll never fault a guy for trying to make a play if the play is there to be made / it needs to be made & that's all schaub was trying to do there. sometimes the defense just makes a play & that was 1 for the jags.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #30
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Could Schaub have done a bit more to avoid that play? Yes. Was it an incredible defensive effort? Yes. I was pissed at him in the heat of the moment and I believe he will get the ball out a bit quicker next time there is a defender lying down at his feet but Sessions made that play more than Schaub imo.

As for the people complaining about his completion percentage I would point out that his YPA is the highest its been in his entire career (8.34). Considering we have been without Dre for a significant portion of the season I would argue that Schaub is playing the best ball of his career. A lot of that has to do with us running the ball with more conviction than we ever have in the past which means Matt has even more PA opportunities than usual and he is taking advantage of them big time. As Bart Scott would say, "Can't Wait!" till Andre Johnson gets back.
Old 10-31-2011   #31
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
You could argue that schaub should've just thrown it away but you gotta realize this stuff is happening in split seconds. Sessions came on a blitz up the middle & forced schaub to move thereby throwing the timing of the play off from the get go. But even if schaub has a chance to throw it away:

1.) he needs someone to throw it to (or at least someone's feet to throw it to)....or he's got to get out of the pocket. The latter wasn't happening b/c the DE was right there in front of him which is why i think he chose to set back up right where he did.

2) kind of goes with #1...how many people were out in route for him to throw it away to? We can safely assume Walter & JJ were & we know Walter was going deep & wasn't even looking for the ball. JJ was on the other side of the field...which is a no no for a qb to throw across the field no matter where he was. & we know arian cut down sessions blitzing so in essence he was out of the play for the moment. That only leaves Daniels but where was he for schaub to check it down / throw it away to?

I'll never fault a guy for trying to make a play if the play is there to be made / it needs to be made & that's all schaub was trying to do there. sometimes the defense just makes a play & that was 1 for the jags.
Let's say I paused the play and told Schaub, hey buddy, in 1.2 seconds you are going to get walloped in the back and fumble the ball away, is there any way you can get rid of this ball in less time than that to avoid the fumble?

I'm sure the answer would be yes. So, now that we know it was possible for him to have avoided it, it really boils down to him not realizing the imminent danger was present.

That's the qbs job to understand and avoid that fumble and live to fight another day or punt it away.

It was the only reason this game was close essentially.
Old 10-31-2011   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Sometimes the other team makes good plays. I don't see that play as an indictment of Schaub.
^^^ This.

Quarterbacks aren't supposed to be looking at the rush, they're supposed to be looking down the field. And that's what Schaub was doing.

He was waiting for his receiver (because it was a long route) and he was just about to throw when he got hit from behind.

That's just football. I don't blame Schaub for that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Let's say I paused the play and told Schaub, hey buddy, in 1.2 seconds you are going to get walloped in the back and fumble the ball away, is there any way you can get rid of this ball in less time than that to avoid the fumble?

I'm sure the answer would be yes. So, now that we know it was possible for him to have avoided it, it really boils down to him not realizing the imminent danger was present.

That's the qbs job to understand and avoid that fumble and live to fight another day or punt it away.

You're right.

But at the same time, most of us likes the QB that gets lit up as he delivers that perfect strike down-field.

Schaub thought he had that opportunity there & missed it by a fraction of a second.

As has been said, I'll never fault a QB for staying in the pocket trying to make a play despite the imminent danger.

That's soft, & we ain't soft in H-Town.

:Texan:
Old 10-31-2011   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The coaches obviously saw something with the Jaguar secondary where they thought they had some shots down the field. The gameplan was to go deep and to do it often.

But the offense this year seems to be taking more shots down the field than it has previously. The problem with going deep is that the completion percentage goes down. And I think that's what we're seeing.
Old 10-31-2011   #35
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

this guy isnt Tom Brady by the way Brady had a bone head moment at the end of his game as well look at the high lights last play he had looked the exact same as Schaubs play. Fans shoot Schaub for not standing tall not running not making plays well in order to make them plays u have to take chances. These chances just dont seem to work out for him, so he is damn if he does damn if doesn't.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #36
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

#1, 99% of qb's are fumbling the ball in that situation if they choose to make a play & throw it b/c it is the beginning point at which they are most exposed (the wind up). So why fault him for something that likely happens to every qb in the league if they go that route?

#2 you just cant fault the guy for trying to make a play in that situation. If he just fell down & took the sack & "lived to fight another day" folks would be in here pissed off saying he went out like a chump &/or he's scary You guys can't have it both ways.
Old 10-31-2011   #37
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

That was a dumb play by Schaub IMHO.

I don't understand the great play by Sessions stuff either...It was a regular play...He got chopped and got back up....

It's not like he jumped over Arian and simultaneously tackled Schaub or anything amazing like that...

Schaub should not fumble the ball even when defenders get after him around the edges and stuff like in the typical fashion...

He definitely shouldn't be fumbling when he sees a guy get chopped right next to him...

It was a lack of awareness on his part...Sessions didn't do anything that any defender wouldn't have done...Get chopped, pop back up and keep going...

Get rid of the ball faster, keep drifting to the sideline, stand in there for as long as you can and if you happened to get sacked don't fumble...

But you cannot open yourself up like that when the defender is right there by you and you know it. It makes you more vulnerable to injury and turnovers...I'm pretty sure Gary talked to him about that and told him what he did wrong there....I am almost 100% positive he didn't say "Well Matt...That was just a great play by Clint"....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #38
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Myers on this one. I couldn't believe Schaub just stood there after seeing the defender bearing down on him.

Kudos to Schaub for having the stones to hang in there and wait for the play to develop, but---DUDE!---it's time to move out of the pocket when they're gettiing that close!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #39
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That was a dumb play by Schaub IMHO.

I don't understand the great play by Sessions stuff either...It was a regular play...He got chopped and got back up....

It's not like he jumped over Arian and simultaneously tackled Schaub or anything amazing like that...

Schaub should not fumble the ball even when defenders get after him around the edges and stuff like in the typical fashion...

He definitely shouldn't be fumbling when he sees a guy get chopped right next to him...

It was a lack of awareness on his part...Sessions didn't do anything that any defender wouldn't have done...Get chopped, pop back up and keep going...

Get rid of the ball faster, keep drifting to the sideline, stand in there for as long as you can and if you happened to get sacked don't fumble...

But you cannot open yourself up like that when the defender is right there by you and you know it. It makes you more vulnerable to injury and turnovers...I'm pretty sure Gary talked to him about that and told him what he did wrong there....I am almost 100% positive he didn't say "Well Matt...That was just a great play by Clint"....
LOL, yeah when you over-simplify it like that man, nothing is remarkable.

For schaubs part of it, It was just a situation where he tried to squeeze too much out of it that he probably shouldn't have; it happens to even the best qb's in the league from time to time Someone mentioned Brady's blunder at the end of his game....he had plenty of other times in that game where he should've just thrown it away but he didn't & instead took a sack with a 9 yd. loss. noone plays a perfect game.

As far as sessions part of it, most guys who get chopped down like that, don't spring up that fast &/or don't land in such a way that enables them to do that...
Old 10-31-2011   #40
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

He's on track to throw for more than 4000 yards again this season... for the 3rd year in a row and he'll probably throw for more than that because we're entering the "easy" part of the schedule. He's ranked 8th in the league in yards and 7th in the league in Passer Rating. He's 4th in the league for first downs. He's 2nd in the league in pass plays of over 20 yards. He's been picked off (5) less than Tom Brady (8), Matt Ryan (8), Cam Newton (9), Rivers (9), Brees (10), and Freeman (10), and a lot more guys.

He is not, however, as accurate this year as he has been in previous years. But I think that's because he's looking down the field a lot more and taking a lot more risks and being more aggressive.

This is the first fumble he's lost all season.

You can say what you want but he is not having a bad year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read