Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-25-2005   #1
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

Default Jay Glazier's Comments on FoxSW on Texans Draft

- their decision was between TJ and DJ...the war room was unanimous on TJ
- they fooled the saints into thinking that one of the teams below them would take jammal brown
- were offered to trade down by a team under 20 for next year's pick, and planned to pick chris spencer if traded down, but declined.
- were called on friday by seattle for shaun alexander, but declined.

Last edited by AlexVanderpool; 04-25-2005 at 10:43 PM.
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #2
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Is there something wrong with DJ that none of us knows about? It seemed like no one wanted him and KC took him because of his value.
Old 04-25-2005   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Is there something wrong with DJ that none of us knows about? It seemed like no one wanted him and KC took him because of his value.
IMO, DJ is going to be great in a 4-3 and might have been great in a 3-4, but I understand the concern about him in a 3-4. He doesn't have a hope of playing OLB in a 3-4--body type is just all wrong. At ILB, there is a legitimate concern about him being a hit the hole, stuff the RB guy. Looks like the Texans have already committed to one coverage, not necessarily that aggressive hole hitting LB in Greenwood. We can have one, but not two. Wong is going to have to be the smart signal caller/attack the line guy.
Old 04-26-2005   #4
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't get the knock on DJ. I mean NCAA record for forced fumbles. If you think he has trouble manning up and taking on blocks. You're a COACH....COACH HIM. He has the talent I guess you can only wonder if he would have the desire. I just think he's going to have one heck of a chip on his shoulder come this year so we'll see what he does with it.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #5
cadahnic
All Pro

The knock on DJ is that he runs around blocks and is not very disciplined. Well that was the knock on Junior Seau, Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, and Brian Urlacher coming into the league. Yes I know they all suck, and that was the thought the Texans went with. TJ will be productive and we will get to see DJ become the rookie of the year on defense as part of that transformation in K.C. especially if they make the playoffs. DJ Williams of the Denver Broncos had the same stipulation on him and he just put up 100+ tackles, a couple of sacks, forced fumbles and interceptions. The Texans have no room or place for those type of playmakers on our defense. You all just need to deal with it.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #6
Dime
Hall of Fame

My God... could we please get off DJ. We didnt pick him, game over man. Move on.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #7
cadahnic
All Pro

Dime I have no problem with us getting DJ because we have not missed on a first round pick yet. They have all been productive. So TJ will be productive also. I feel that everyone should know what players are like. I understand your frustration though I was at the draft party and watched the whole thing shut down when we did not get DJ, but hey it will be ok and we will be a better team two years down the road. This year is gonna be interesting though.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2005   #8
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVanderpool
- were offered to trade down by a team under 20 for next year's pick, and planned to pick chris spencer if traded down, but declined.
Yeaaaa! At least they were considering the guy I was pimping the last month or two. I might have taken that trade. The fact that they didn't shows the expectations for next year's draft class compared to this one.
Old 04-26-2005   #9
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Seriously though i mean all we got is a extra 3rd rounder for next year?
Old 04-26-2005   #10
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
Seriously though i mean all we got is a extra 3rd rounder for next year?
Uhhh, yeah. For trading down 3 spots to 16 we still got the guy we wanted at 13. We got Morency in the 3rd this year and Mathis in the 4th. In the past we've gotten Peek in the 3rd and DD in the 4th.

3rd rounders are valuable and we got one for free. Whats the problem?

Last edited by Htown34s; 04-26-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Htown34s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #11
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

I thought we should have maybe tried to at least pick up a pick in THIS year's draft. That's my problem.

I'm not fussing about the quality of picks in late rounds i'm fussing that we didn't get anything more than a 3rd rounder NEXT year. Especially considering i'm sure CAR was itching to take Brown.

Morency was a bad pick in the 3rd. Brown the OL from UVA was still there. We drafted a 25 year old rb.
Old 04-26-2005   #12
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Yall keep leaving out PB, in all reality, we got a starter with our second round pick, so take it what its worth.
Old 04-27-2005   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

:woot If Brown was so good why did he last so long . Brown had a rep of being a slacker .
I think the Texans were bold with the pick of TJ . If he does'nt pan out people want forget . There was a thread months ago and the subject was "What would make you mad about the Texans draft ? " I put " Reaching for a player early ." I hope this is not the case here cause the poop will hit the fan .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 04-27-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
- - were offered to trade down by a team under 20 for next year's pick, and planned to pick chris spencer if traded down, but declined.
This was my draft morning prediction...oh so close.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #15
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
- their decision was between TJ and DJ...the war room was unanimous on TJ
- they fooled the saints into thinking that one of the teams below them would take jammal brown
- were called on friday by seattle for shaun alexander, but declined.
I believe Carolina would have taken Jammal Brown.

What pick were we offered in next year's draft? I'm fine with TJ but if we are talking say a 2nd rounder next year and Spencer this year I would have done it.

I'm glad we didn't take Alexander.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #16
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I believe Carolina would have taken Jammal Brown.

What pick were we offered in next year's draft? I'm fine with TJ but if we are talking say a 2nd rounder next year and Spencer this year I would have done it.

I'm glad we didn't take Alexander.
Saints 3rd round pick is what we got in this deal. I think the saints will prob end the season 6-10 or 7-9 maybe 5-11 if they are unlucky. I dont expect them to be to good so i think it will be an early 3rd round pick.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #17
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

If Aaron Brooks plays like he did last year, it will be a high 3rd.
Old 04-27-2005   #18
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
I thought we should have maybe tried to at least pick up a pick in THIS year's draft. That's my problem.

I'm not fussing about the quality of picks in late rounds i'm fussing that we didn't get anything more than a 3rd rounder NEXT year. Especially considering i'm sure CAR was itching to take Brown.

Morency was a bad pick in the 3rd. Brown the OL from UVA was still there. We drafted a 25 year old rb.
morency was a smart pick, he has talent, and he is an athlete... drafted in the MLB, went back to school, got drafted by the texans... and yeah he is 25, so what... his body is gonna be a lot more fresh then any other 25 year old, he was a very good pick, ran for 6 yards per carry... it was a steal
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #19
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think Greenwood and DJ play the same position in the 3-4 (RILB). The LILB needs to be a bit bigger. I think that and the concerns about DJ's ability to take on blocks were what kept him from becoming a Texan.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #20
Doug
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I think Greenwood and DJ play the same position in the 3-4 (RILB). The LILB needs to be a bit bigger. I think that and the concerns about DJ's ability to take on blocks were what kept him from becoming a Texan.
Hit the nail on the head! DJ's knock was that he was always caught in traffic instead of being able to shed his blocker and get to the ball.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read