Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2011   #221
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 76755 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
If by "insecure" you mean "intelligent football fans", then yes.

You see, some of us go to games to, you know, actually watch the game and not watch what other fans are doing. As a matter of fact, some of us geezers used to go to games before there was a GameDay Experience, 3D souvenir cups, tailgating, and a dude dressed in a bull costume. ahhh, those were ancient times, when a team was actually expected to win in order to sell out a stadium.
You just had to worry about Crazy George busting your ear drum.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #222
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 76755 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

If you're bitching about the wave you have turned into this guy.

Stay off my LAWN ya damn kids!!!!!

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #223
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Okay, wave-lovers, here's the skinny:

Schaub: Stop Doing The Wave

------------------------------------

ericwinston (via Twitter) Eric Winston
Wtf was that?Thanks for not doing it RT @tcumike:Congrats on another win.I apologize on behalf of the fans for the wave.I DIDN'T PARTICIPATE
I wonder if Schaub is interested in a few suggestions...

Old 11-03-2011   #224
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 63539 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wonder if Schaub is interested in a few suggestions...

From fans? Especially fans that do the freaking wave and make a bunch of noise when we're on offense? No, I don't think he needs any suggestions from those people.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #225
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
From fans? Especially fans that do the freaking wave and make a bunch of noise when we're on offense? No, I don't think he needs any suggestions from those people.
& we don't need any from him.
Old 11-03-2011   #226
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

bah taking that down lol.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #227
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& we don't need any from him.
ha im dying here...so its ok for you to demand stupid shit like 'call better plays' but if schaub has the nerve to ask for a bit of quiet on offence at home, the ignorant go mad at him
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2011   #228
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
ha im dying here...so its ok for you to demand stupid shit like 'call better plays' but if schaub has the nerve to ask for a bit of quiet on offence at home, the ignorant go mad at him
I was at the game, the wave really wasn't that loud.. it's always a lot louder in that stadium. You would think they would be happy they the fans are actually having fun.

Old 11-03-2011   #229
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Slow news day I guess
Old 11-03-2011   #230
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

After a long week at work and in these trouble econimic times and drought and drepression of the on coming hectic holiday season the people of houston acctually united and sequenced into doing something together thus the wave was bound to happen lol
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #231
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
If they can't concentrate with the wave going on, how in the world will they ever survive in opposing stadiums?

It was loud, but not LOUD. There no reason it should have been an issue for our Offense. Scapegoating the fans for something that lasted (at most) 4 minutes is nuts.
*sigh*

You do realize that they gameplan different for road games, yeah?

For instance, they practice hand signals and specific plays to be called when they know that they are going to deal with a hostile crowd. They also bring in massive speakers into the practice bubble to condition themselves for the noise distractions.

I guess they did not realize that they would have to do it for their own homefield crowd, who doesn't have the sense to not help the other team.

He's not scapegoating anything. They just expect homefield fans to be smarter about this situation. If anything, their expectations are too high.

Ya'll are going to crack me up if you do this during a playoff game at Reliant. And you can defend it until you're blue in the face, but ESPN, NFLN, and the rest of the league are going to see it for what it really is at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Wait, wait, wait a minute. I can deal with 2D cups, but no bull mascot?

You forgot the best part, which is the football hiding in one of 3 helmets. Now that is fun.
d'oh! Always pick the first one!

Although, you whippersnappers do miss out on one badass thing...

The Helmet Car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I can't listen to it at work, so I have no idea what he said in context. But based on the post, I'm just going with what I've got. And if he called out the fans for cheering too much, then wow, lame move on Schaub's part. Right or wrong, when a player calls out the fans.... not a smart move.

Bite the hand that feeds you and everything..
He's not biting anyone. He was asked a question, and he gave an honest answer.

Do you really think he'd lie about crowd noise and it's effect on the offense? Jeesh, this is Football 101 stuff. I'm really surprised that so many are bamboozled by the ReliantWorld GameDay Experience® that you cannot comprehend basic homefield strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
You just had to worry about Crazy George busting your ear drum.
lol! Funny enough, I met him (again) at a Houston Stallions game a few months ago. His business card claims that he invented the wave!

Quote:
Crazy George

KRAZY GEORGE INVENTED THE WAVE
On October 15, 1981
At the Oakland A’s New York Yanks Playoff Game.
This caused the whole world to stand up and cheer
as the wave circles stadiums around the world
p.s. I'm not calling any of you lesser fans or even calling you out. I'm just having fun with the subject. Silly stuff in the end.
Old 11-03-2011   #232
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
p.s. I'm not calling any of you lesser fans or even calling you out. I'm just having fun with the subject. Silly stuff in the end.
I don't think it's as much not knowing Football 101, DB.

Rather, most of them could give a shit if the team wins or not. Winning is not really "entertainment".

Good post, BTW.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #233
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub's answer was nice, he wasn't rude or calling the fans out.

Everyone knows to be quiet on offense or should know that.

At the same time, it wasn't that loud. I was there, I did not participate , but no louder that it was if the offense can't deal with that amount of noise I don't know what to say. Regardless whether than game plan for absolutley no noise for home games or not. That wouldn't be too smart, I have heard opposing fans in our OWN stadium make more noise than that.

I guess preparation for home games goes like this:
Cowboys, Steelers or other popular teams, we need to be ready for noise while we are on offense even in our stadium. No biggie.

Jaguars or other less popular team, no noise at all in the stadium ESPECIALLY the wave, or the offense will not be able to function and get an illegal procedure penalty.

LOL.
Old 11-03-2011   #234
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Schaub's answer was nice, he wasn't rude or calling the fans out.

Everyone knows to be quiet on offense or should know that.

At the same time, it wasn't that loud. I was there, I did not participate , but no louder that it was if the offense can't deal with that amount of noise I don't know what to say. Regardless whether than game plan for absolutley no noise for home games or not. That wouldn't be too smart, I have heard opposing fans in our OWN stadium make more noise than that.

I guess preparation for home games goes like this:
Cowboys, Steelers or other popular teams, we need to be ready for noise while we are on offense even in our stadium. No biggie.

Jaguars or other less popular team, no noise at all in the stadium ESPECIALLY the wave, or the offense will not be able to function and get an illegal procedure penalty.

LOL.
I donno if you have been to other stadiums but most teams with an educated fan base have fans that are quiet as a mouse when their teams are on offense. Hell, go to Nashville and its amazing how quiet it gets in that stadium. Last time I went, Steve McNair was the QB, but you could hear all his calls clearly every time they were on offense. I attribute that to the high football IQ from the SEC fans in the area, because there wasn't much NFL action around there till then unless you drove down to Atlanta to watch the Falcons. Our fans? Hate to say it, but they have a lot of work to do. I bet they embarrass us in the playoffs with the friggin' wave...while we are on O again to boot. I get a feeling that at least half the stadium is only there for the social event.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #235
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

We SHOULD be quiet as a mouse, no doubt about it. However, a little noise shouldn't throw the offense off.

The real question to me is how much of that is "corporate seats" that are giving out to people that just aren't anything more than fair weather fans? IDK. And how much of that is related to a LOT of opposing fans in the stadium against certain more popular opponents?

You might be right about the social event angle, IDK.
Old 11-03-2011   #236
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is going to insulting to somebody, if not many somebodies. I never just what was fun about the wave. I stand up, throw my hands in the air and make some noise while waiting for the group next to do the exact same thing. Always seemed like group think where reacting and yelling for no reason was the reason for doing it. I mean, the dude who starts it is always some drunk, attention seeker who barely knows a first down from a touchdown.
Old 11-03-2011   #237
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
We SHOULD be quiet as a mouse, no doubt about it. However, a little noise shouldn't throw the offense off.

The real question to me is how much of that is "corporate seats" that are giving out to people that just aren't anything more than fair weather fans? IDK. And how much of that is related to a LOT of opposing fans in the stadium against certain more popular opponents?

You might be right about the social event angle, IDK.
I've sat in those seats the bulk of the games I've gone to and let me tell you...it aint the corporate people starting the wave. They may be starting a conversation with a scantily dressed blonde at the bar, noshing on the 12 dollar buffet style table or paying the waiter for his food that he doesn't have to go stand in line for....club level guy makes more noise ordering a mixed drink than he does starting something like the wave. There aren't many cartoon types in that section.

Old 11-03-2011   #238
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
He had quite a bit MORE than a 'bit' of quiet. You could hear crickets chirping when the Offense kept going silent.

Quote:
*sigh*

You do realize that they gameplan different for road games, yeah?

For instance, they practice hand signals and specific plays to be called when they know that they are going to deal with a hostile crowd. They also bring in massive speakers into the practice bubble to condition themselves for the noise distractions.

I guess they did not realize that they would have to do it for their own homefield crowd, who doesn't have the sense to not help the other team.

He's not scapegoating anything. They just expect homefield fans to be smarter about this situation. If anything, their expectations are too high.
Uhm, yeah, I'm aware of different game-planning for home games, what exactly is you point? Are you saying that our Offense is incapable of "improvising"? That a lineman less than 10 feet from the QB couldn't get the snapcount right because there was a minor level of noise in the stadium? I guess they really can't execute the PAT very well, because the din after scoring a TD never quiets down in time.

For God's sake, it lasted UNDER five minutes and you know what...all the previous "silence" sure wasn't helping them move the chains very effectively.

Next, I guess we have to keep opposing fans percentages below a certain level to prevent Cowboys/Steelers/Raiders fans from distracting our offense? Yep, you guessed it, they were LOUDER than the "wave noise".

Texans players AND fans need to can the whining on this. Maybe we can be quieter if less fans show up....like All-Tarp stadium?
Old 11-03-2011   #239
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
He had quite a bit MORE than a 'bit' of quiet. You could hear crickets chirping when the Offense kept going silent.

Uhm, yeah, I'm aware of different game-planning for home games, what exactly is you point? Are you saying that our Offense is incapable of "improvising"? That a lineman less than 10 feet from the QB couldn't get the snapcount right because there was a minor level of noise in the stadium? I guess they really can't execute the PAT very well, because the din after scoring a TD never quiets down in time.

For God's sake, it lasted UNDER five minutes and you know what...all the previous "silence" sure wasn't helping them move the chains very effectively.

Next, I guess we have to keep opposing fans percentages below a certain level to prevent Cowboys/Steelers/Raiders fans from distracting our offense? Yep, you guessed it, they were LOUDER than the "wave noise".

Texans players AND fans need to can the whining on this. Maybe we can be quieter if less fans show up....like All-Tarp stadium?
so are you saying the Houston fans are incapable of being quiet like in other stadiums around the league or us Houstonians just don't care? Ignorance or apathy? Sounds like you think it doesn't matter. Go yell at Tiger woods sometime as he is getting ready to drive.

Old 11-03-2011   #240
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
so are you saying the Houston fans are incapable of being quiet like in other stadiums around the league or us Houstonians just don't care? Ignorance or apathy? Sounds like you think it doesn't matter. Go yell at Tiger woods sometime as he is getting ready to drive.
Lol.. maybe we could hire some hecklers to sit in the front row and rough up the players.. Wonder if this guy is available..

Sorry Happy Gilmore just sprouted to my brain here total derail, but would be funny to see a heckler follow golfers around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read