Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2011   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The Truest schaub statment ever !

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Clearly didn't watch the Cowboys closely back then.

The cast which got Aikman to the playoffs, relied on him in the playoffs.

Clearly didn't understand a thing I said.

If we get into the play-offs, we're going to be pretty reliant on Matt, but we're going to be just as reliant on AJ, Foster, OD, the OL, & the defense. The sum of the parts being greater than the whole. The exact opposite of what we see going on in Indy.
Old 10-29-2011   #22
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
That write up was just awful. For most of the QBs, not just Schaub.Simmons talking NFL should be banned.

Short version of my critique. It's a team game. Perhaps if Matt Schaub had more above average defensive performances to assist him over his career, his W-L record would be better. See e.g. http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/20...rterback-help/
Old 10-29-2011   #23
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub should be in anyone's top ten list of active QBs, probably below fifth postion. That's good enough for me considering some of the active starters right now. And I agree, the two second round picks we gave up for him were worth it.

In the system he plays in, Schaub is more than capable of winning a Super Bowl with the talent around him. Maybe someday we'll see that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #24
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
That write up was just awful.
Keep in mind, he's not what you'd call a serious sports writer. He's just there to provide some kind of "entertaining" outlook.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #25
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Oakland ALWAYS gets robbed, I wish Smith could do that some day. I always blamed Al, I don't know who brokered the Palmer trade.
When I heard about the Palmer trade one the radio while driving the car (after I tried to not crash the car from shock), I later sent the following text to a buddy of mine who grew up watching the Radiers: "Al Davis is gone, but the Raiders are still doing terrible trades. Good grief."

That Palmer trade was one of the worst I've ever seen.

As for Schaub, I think we made a good deal. Let's not forget that other teams were after him pretty aggressively. The Falcon's knew they had a talented back-up, and they had Michael Vick starting at the time, so they were content to just let teams slobber over Schaub and make them an offer.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #26
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Good thing we don't need Matt to carry us to & through a Super Bowl.

This team reminds me of the Cowboys of the early '90s more than any team has since the early '90s.

I'm an Aikman fan, but I always new he had limitations. You put him on another team & we don't know how "great" Aikman was or wasn't. We've got a great offensive system & we've got some great talent that fits this system perfectly; OD, Dressen, Myers, Brown, Wade, Winston, Walter..... then we've got the talent to drive it over the top; Andre, Foster, Casey, Tate.

Then we've got a pretty good defense.

Without Smith, Irvin, Novacheck, Moose, & Stepnowski; without that defense, Aikman wouldn't have taken that team anywhere (I believe it was the addition of Emmit that really changed the course of that team).

It was more about the sum of their parts on those Cowboy team, & I think that's what we've got going on in Houston.
Agree with you.

But, you also need to look at their head coach. Read "Boys Will Be Boys." Jimmy Johnson is one of the most brilliant football minds that has ever lived. I know that's a dramatic statement, but it's true.
Old 10-29-2011   #27
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

I have heard the Aikmen comparison from a few coaches.

Schaub's biggest problem has been Kubiak's cronyism coaches.
Old 10-29-2011   #28
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
When I heard about the Palmer trade one the radio while driving the car (after I tried to not crash the car from shock), I later sent the following text to a buddy of mine who grew up watching the Radiers: "Al Davis is gone, but the Raiders are still doing terrible trades. Good grief."

That Palmer trade was one of the worst I've ever seen.
First, that distinction belongs to the Saints when Ditka traded all of the Saints' 1999 draft picks to get Williams, as well as a 1st and 3rd pick the following year.

Second, I don't think we can assess that trade until Palmer gets into playing form. If he's the pro bowl quality C.P. of '05 and '06 it's a good deal. If he's the latter day C.P. then the Raiders got robbed. We'll see; he's had all year to get fully healthy.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #29
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
First, that distinction belongs to the Saints when Ditka traded all of the Saints' 1999 draft picks to get Williams, as well as a 1st and 3rd pick the following year.

Second, I don't think we can assess that trade until Palmer gets into playing form. If he's the pro bowl quality C.P. of '05 and '06 it's a good deal. If he's the latter day C.P. then the Raiders got robbed. We'll see; he's had all year to get fully healthy.
I didn't say it was THE worst trade I have ever seen. It was ONE OF THE WORST I have ever seen.

Even if he's pro-bowl quality C.P., I just don't see him being worth two first round picks. I just don't. But that's my opinion.
Old 10-29-2011   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I have heard the Aikmen comparison from a few coaches.

Schaub's biggest problem has been Kubiak's cronyism coaches.
Jimmy Johnson did the same thing.
Old 10-29-2011   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

If the Raiders don't make the play-offs, the Raiders got robbed. With San Diego & Kansas City making a play-off run themselves, that might prove to be pretty difficult.

Losing 6 games will more than likely be too many for the AFC West division title.. they've already lost three. If Carson Palmer is going to get back to quality play, he better do it quick.
Old 10-29-2011   #32
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I didn't say it was THE worst trade I have ever seen. It was ONE OF THE WORST I have ever seen.

Even if he's pro-bowl quality C.P., I just don't see him being worth two first round picks. I just don't. But that's my opinion.
Fair enough. And you could be absolutely right depending on which C.P. we see.
Speaking opinions, I think the Raiders just flat panicked when Jason Campbell went down and David Garrard was unavailable. They were in the hunt for the division lead and then they lost their big armed QB. Yikes!
Old 10-29-2011   #33
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
May I refer you to the Carson Palmer trade.

Schaub was a Massive Bargain.
Never measure trade value by comparing anything to what Oakland does...Oakland is bizarro trade land.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #34
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jimmy Johnson did the same thing.
Which? Compared Schaub to Aikmen or cronyism?

If it's cronyism, JJ had smarter friends. I'm not against cronyism if people are qualified. GK's friends obviously were not qualified.
Old 10-30-2011   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Which? Compared Schaub to Aikmen or cronyism?

If it's cronyism, JJ had smarter friends. I'm not against cronyism if people are qualified. GK's friends obviously were not qualified.
Agreed, but you couldn't have known that until after the fact.
Old 10-30-2011   #36
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

semi-related hate on Schaub:

Quote:
Texans: Matt Schaub - Mint Berry Crunch

For the past few years, ESPN has been treating the Texans and Matt Schaub as their little darlings who are just BOUND to secure the AFC South and go on to do wonders in the playoffs. Schaub, while maybe good enough to possibly get you into the playoffs, is not the key guy to get you through to the promised land. Just like Mint Berry Crunch learns when the superheroes in Southpark meet up to talk strategy. Sooner or later, Schaub and the Texans will come to Cartman’s reality....
Other than that, it's a pretty fun article giving each starting QB a super hero counter-part. I debated on whether or not to start a thread about it and decided against it.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
semi-related hate on Schaub:

Other than that, it's a pretty fun article giving each starting QB a super hero counter-part. I debated on whether or not to start a thread about it and decided against it.
Sanchez; the Human Tourch??

Fitzpatrick is Flash Gordon?

Tebow is Batman, Cassell is Captain Marvel, even Painter gets to be the Iceman... this sucks.. (pretty funny) but sucks that Schaub is MintBerry Crunch??!? c'mon.......

Old 10-30-2011   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

How about; Daredevil?

Daredevil is missing something you'd think is very important to a super hero... eyesight.

But his other senses more than make up for it, making him a man without fear.
Old 10-30-2011   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
How about; Daredevil?

Daredevil is missing something you'd think is very important to a super hero... eyesight.

But his other senses more than make up for it, making him a man without fear.
Schaub as "The Man Without Fear".....

ummm... not the way he folds in the face of a hit. I would give young Brett Favre that handle.

If you consider Foster, Casey, A.J., Tate, O.D., K.W, and J.J. as gadgets in his utility belt I could go with Batman. Take away that belt and he's only human. Then again, Batman, being the "World's Greatest Detective", could figure out the weakness of every opponent and call his own plays...

I know! Henry Pym.

Sometimes Schaub plays like Giant Man other times he plays like Ant Man.
And like Henry Pym, while he's an important team member, he's not the baddest dude on the team.
Old 10-30-2011   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
It's probably true that Schaub will never be elite, but it's not his fault that our TEAM has never won three in a row. Obiously, our TEAM couldn't do it last year because of our secondary. He will not stop us from winning Superbowls, but he won't carry us to and through them (like some rare QBs) either. He also won't be easily replaced...
The real reason for the 3 in a row thingy is 2 words

Gary Kubiak
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read