Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2005   #121
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

i think these very insightful qoutes sum up this situation nicely and should be reiterated for certain user's...*cough*Ibar "the sky is falling" Harry*cough*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman_j
Glenn could have played a reduced role here. This is all about ego; elite athletes are the last ones to believe that they have lost a step.
agreed 100%. remember just a few weeks ago everyone was surprised sharper took the seattle deal at alot less than he seemed to be asking here? i think that reflects the situation with glenn really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
These changes were going to come evenutally. Yah.. I would have liked to see Sharper and Glenn retire here too.. but really..they were never "OUR PLAYERS" to beging with.. they were drafted and played the bulk of their careers with other teams.

The real loyalty to the Texans is going to come from David Carr, Jason Babin, Dunta Robinson, Andre Johnson, Domanick Davis, and the rest of the players were drafted by us.
great perspective on the situation and i again agree 100% the situation the texans are in is almost like the recruiting situation when hiring a new college coach. they come in and make due with what they have, but try to get their guys in as quickly as possible to build their vision of the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
Am I the ONLY one who thought Glenns play was slipping last year? He just seemed old to me. Every time I focused on him he just looked like he was a step behind every time.

Maybe its just me.
no it's not just you, i specifically remember as early as the detroit game thinking to myself "glenn is almost done". it's hard to see when it's outwardly apparent to fans that such a good palyer's days are numbered doing what he loves, but it makes it even harder when the player doesn't see it yet.

and everyone remember, pride seems to be a major factor in all of our vet's skipping town, this is not CC/caper's running them off without options or reasons. if anything CC/caper's should be applauded for the respect they showed glenn/sharper/foreman by giving them permission to shop themselves around and not stick them somewhere against their wishes. i think that shows the true class of our organization by acting in a very candid and genuine fashion to help player's who have helped build the texan's from ground zero. all break-ups suck, but i'll take dignified and respectful break-ups as opposed to the opposite (owens leaving SF, dillion whining his way out of cincy, moss' disgruntled departure from the vikes, etc, etc)...stay up all you true texan fans, if these are the lowest low's we've had to endure so far, we seem to have a bright future with this organization
Old 04-26-2005   #122
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and everyone remember, pride seems to be a major factor in all of our vet's skipping town, this is not CC/caper's running them off without options or reasons. if anything CC/caper's should be applauded for the respect they showed glenn/sharper/foreman by giving them permission to shop themselves around and not stick them somewhere against their wishes. i think that shows the true class of our organization by acting in a very candid and genuine fashion to help player's who have helped build the texan's from ground zero. all break-ups suck, but i'll take dignified and respectful break-ups as opposed to the opposite (owens leaving SF, dillion whining his way out of cincy, moss' disgruntled departure from the vikes, etc, etc)...stay up all you true texan fans, if these are the lowest low's we've had to endure so far, we seem to have a bright future with this organization
Jrock,

That's a great take. The best I have seen so far. I hope a lot of people read this, because it is spot on.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #123
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Phillip Buchanon better be all that and a bag of chips!
Old 04-26-2005   #124
jr0ck
Veteran

appreciate it Mojo, just trying to spread the good word! i don't know about half this board but i enjoy having a football team back in h-town, and the fact they are worth rooting for is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Old 04-26-2005   #125
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer
Phillip Buchanon better be all that and a bag of chips!
Yes he better be or I am gonna be mad! :woot Might need to change my name to TexansneedDin06
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #126
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
wow.... uhhhhh we just let one of our best players walk w/o getting anything for him.
Generally in the business world if someone is encouraged to seek other options, it means that you are fired. IMO, Glenn didn't just walk, he could leave voluntarily with a few kind words, or out right cut. It became apparant over the weekend that he didn't fit into the Texans long range plans. Sounds harsh, but that's nature of the business.

I hope everything works well for him. I guess in support of him, I could wear my really nice authentic jersey to a Cowboys game.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #127
TexAntagonise
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TexAntagonise Send a message via MSN to TexAntagonise

Before we go to bashing A. Glenn lets take a look at this form a little different angle. If your boss came up to you and said we hired this new guy to do your job. He didn't out perform you. (Oakland had NINE INT's last year.) So we want you to take a pay cut. How would you react? Would look for another job? Lets look where the REAL problem is. The Texans finished dead last in sacks last year. Only 24 times did we put the other teams QB on his backside.
TexAntagonise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2005   #128
jr0ck
Veteran

Default Ot

TexansNeedRBin05 you can already change your name to something else. your gonna be delighted to know we currently have five on the preseason roster, and they are as follows:

Jason Anderson
Domanick Davis
Tony Hollings
Adam Matthews
Jonathan Wells

not to mention we drafted Vernand Morency in the 3rd...your wish has been granted and dreams have been realized. you can change your name now thanks in part to CC and Co!
Old 04-26-2005   #129
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
TexansNeedRBin05 you can already change your name to something else. your gonna be delighted to know we currently have five on the preseason roster, and they are as follows:

Jason Anderson
Domanick Davis
Tony Hollings
Adam Matthews
Jonathan Wells

not to mention we drafted Vernand Morency in the 3rd...your wish has been granted and dreams have been realized. you can change your name now thanks in part to CC and Co!
Hey, quick question....Isn't J. Anderson the guy who broke is leg last year? Also, give me more info on Adam Matthews
Old 04-26-2005   #130
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I always like to see the negativity come out when the team makes a move. By the end of the season when everyone realizes it wasn't a mistake to let Sharper, Foreman, and Glenn go all the people who questioned the moves will be saying they were behind it the whole way.

Buchanon right now is a better fit to start than Glenn. Glenn was the best defender in the 1st 2 seasons on a average to below average defense. He is small, doesn't have tremendous hands, gets beat deep, sulks when he gets beat, and is expensive for an average cornerback.

Sharper and Foreman were decent ILBs, but neither is pro bowl caliber. They both got a lot of attention because of the amount of tackles they had. It's a 3-4 defense. They are supposed to get a lot of tackles.

Those 3 weren't going to get better. The defense was too porous last season. Getting younger and better is a good thing and if Gary Walker is next I'll wish him the best, but I support the Texans no matter what they do. Hopefully some of the doomsday prophets will give up their season tickets so I can get more.
Old 04-26-2005   #131
jr0ck
Veteran

this has more info than i can give, the nfl's official houston roster.
Old 04-26-2005   #132
bigbag12
Rookie

i figured by getting buchannon that we were finally going after INDY. now we are getting rid of glenn. some one plz help me makes sense of this. im about this
bigbag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #133
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
this has more info than i can give, the nfl's official houston roster.
Interesting who wears #31 on the roster...
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #134
Txnpride
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbag12
i figured by getting buchannon that we were finally going after INDY. now we are getting rid of glenn. some one plz help me makes sense of this. im about this
Rotoworld.com states they expect Glenn to sign today with the Cowboys.I figured they would keep him around for one more year.......guess not.He has at least 2 good years in him....he was like a coach on the field to the younger guys.Good luck Glenn...........just not when your playing against the Texans
Txnpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #135
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

AS PB relates to compensatory picks. He was not a FA. He was a trade. This should mean that we may get two picks.
Old 04-26-2005   #136
MikeMc
All Pro

Considering that the Texans cut the following players:

Brown
Sharper
Foreman
Glenn

I'd say the Texans get at least 2 picks for Glenn & Sharper. The formula is based on production, experience & post season awards (Pro-Bowl). I feel that Sharper & Glenn meet these requirements, especially Glenn with the exp & Pro-Bowl. Sharper more so for the production and exp. Glenn might be one of the 3rd/4th rd Comp picks, with Sharper being a 4th/5th rd Comp pick.

So, who will be next?? Hopefully not any of the DL (Walker, Payne, DeLoach)!
Old 04-26-2005   #137
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

hmm, this is good news for colts fans, but I was hoping you wouldn't do this.
Old 04-26-2005   #138
Daonly
Veteran

Texans Release Former Pro Bowl Cornerback Glenn
Clears Room for Recently Acquired CB Buchanon

HOUSTON (April 26) - Cornerback Aaron Glenn, one of the original Houston Texans, was released by the team on Tuesday to clear room for Philip Buchanon, acquired in a trade with Oakland last week.

Coach Dom Capers met with Glenn, a 12-year veteran, shortly after the trade and offered him the option of reduced playing time or the chance to play with another team.

Glenn, who turns 33 in September, becomes the fourth defensive starter for the Texans to leave in the offseason. Inside linebackers Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman and strong safety Eric Brown were released in March, part of the Texans' offseason makeover of a defense that finished in the bottom third of the NFL for a second straight season.

Glenn played with the New York Jets for eight seasons before joining his hometown Texans in the 2002 expansion draft. He was selected to his third Pro Bowl in the team's first year but was limited to only 11 games in 2003 because of various injuries.

He rebounded with a solid season in 2004, intercepting five passes and making 63 tackles while serving as a mentor for Robinson.

04/26/05 13:03 EDT
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #139
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans team culture is being established through management's actions right before our very eyes.

1. There will be no sacred players who are beyond having to compete for their jobs.
2. The coaches and management will decide who plays, where, and how much.
3. Players who get fat contracts are expected to play up to those contracts. If they do not, Texan's management considers it their responsibility to manage those relationships for the best interests of the franchise.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #140
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Good Moves IMO

I feel the Texans are doing what they need to do to succeed. Look where the team has been on defense for the past two seasons. Near the bottom of the NFL. I welcome all the moves Cass and Capers are making.

You have to remember that in the NFL, football is not only a sport - but a business. If you buy a new truck when your 16, then when your 25 you notice its over 100,000 miles and its not as powerful and productive and good on gas as when you bought it, you have to let it go. Sure it hurts cause it was your first truck, but you got to do it.

Why keep Glenn on for moral reasons? We are not here to be a nice team...we are here to be a winning one. Sure in a game like baseball, age doesnt have as hard as an effect. But in a full contact sport like football, age is a biggie.

Remember, our coaches and management are there for a reason....because they know more about the business/game than anyone on this board does.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read