Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2005   #101
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcougar08
But the question is: Would he have been better staying one more year (to teach PB) or is PB ready to rock?
Well.... you pretty much nailed why they chose PB over a corner in the draft,etc. He has had 2 years in the league and brings some experience over anyone we could have drafted...and they said PB was rated higher than anyone on the CB board this year. So he is ready.

PLUS.. we are clearing cap room for FAgent runs next year.

Sounds good to me.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #102
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Some questions answered in the chronic

Quote:
...Texans coach Dom Capers met with Glenn the day the Buchanon trade was completed and gave Glenn the option of staying with the Texans, possibly in a reduced role, or exploring options with other teams.

Although at least two other teams were believed to be interested in Glenn, Dallas would seem to be a good fit. Glenn played for Cowboys coach Bill Parcells from 1997-1999 when both were with the New York Jets, and Dallas represents a destination not so far from home for the Nimitz High School and Texas A&M product....

...It is uncertain exactly when the Texans will release Glenn, who signed a five-year, $26 million contract extension in 2002. But when they do, it will save the team about $1.1 million on the 2005 salary cap. If they make the move before June 1 and in all likelihood, they will Glenn will be completely off the books for 2006 and beyond.

One of the Texans' top offseason priorities was to get younger and faster, especially on defense, where they have been a predominantly veteran team. Glenn will be 33 when the season begins. In Buchanon and Dunta Robinson, both of whom are 24, the Texans believe they have a pair of talented young cornerbacks.

Although the Texans would have more quality depth at the position with Glenn on the roster, the team also has high hopes for Demarcus Faggins, a 2002 sixth-round pick who was used extensively in the nickel package last season....

...Injuries limited Glenn to only 11 games in 2003, but he bounced back with a solid season in 2004, intercepting five passes and serving as a mentor for Robinson, the team's first pick in the 2004 draft. ...
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #103
Texanshot
Rookie

Default we can't keep everybody

well, aaron glenn is a very good player but we can't keep everybody unfortunately. our backs are pretty talented so it doesn't bother me to much that he was traded...but he is going to the cowboys.....SORRY, anyone else but them....gross...

Old 04-26-2005   #104
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanshot
well, aaron glenn is a very good player but we can't keep everybody unfortunately. our backs are pretty talented so it doesn't bother me to much that he was traded...but he is going to the cowboys.....SORRY, anyone else but them....gross...

He's not being traded. He'll be released and then signed by the Cowboys. Some papers are reporting it's a done deal.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #105
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanshot

better them than the "gulp" Titans or Jags .....
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #106
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how any of you think this is anything more than dumping a salary of a 33 year old player who is in decline. It is cap managment in today's stark reality of the salary cap/free agency NFL. Sentimentality and blind loyalty to players will only get you left behind. If you think that Capers and Casserly enjoyed doing this to AG, then you don't appreciate the difficult decisions that they sometimes have to make. I, for one, am glad that both Capers and Casserly have the guts to make decisions that they both know will be highly unpopular. But like I said before with DJ thing, they don't have the time, or the money to waste on popularity contests.

Glenn was going to make $4 million in 2005, $4.25 million in 2006, and $5.5 million in 2007, when he was going to be 35 years old. He was getting injured a lot last year. His age is already beginning to show. He clearly did not deserve that kind of money. Releasing him now saves $1.1 million on the 2005 cap, and they will owe him nothing for 2006 and beyond.

Get used to this. Gary Walker and Steve McKinney are next, and I can't wait for that to happen, because they don't deserve the money that they are making either.

And uh . . Ibar Harry . . . you wouldn't have the slightest idea what the "big picture" was if it was put in front of you in high definition.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #107
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they're stuck with Walker. I'm not sure where I read it but it'd be a huge cap hit for them to get rid of him.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2005   #108
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
I think they're stuck with Walker. I'm not sure where I read it but it'd be a huge cap hit for them to get rid of him.
I read it, too. But both of them should know that 2005 will be the last year for them.
Old 04-26-2005   #109
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
well i think we have a very good Front Office and i'm gonna assume they know what they are doing, and feel they are giving us the best chance to win in 05.
i agree. i think theres something about buchanon, johnson, and greenwood that we dont quite know.
Old 04-26-2005   #110
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
I wouldn't pull for the cowgirls if my grandson played for them!
Did not say I would be pulling for the Cowboys, said I would have a player
to root for on the Cowboys team.
But since you mentioned it, don't understand the attitude towards the Cowboys because we only play them once every 3 or 4 years. I'm basically neutral about the team soon to be up in Arlington. I save my attitude for
our real nemesis which is our division rivals: they are the ones who stand between us and the playoffs more than any other team or teams.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #111
barzilla
Veteran

Of course, those of you calling for him to be traded for an O-lineman need to remember that we will save money on this. If we combine that with the money saved from Sharper and Foreman we have enough to get a player if a good one comes available after June 1st.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #112
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Did not say I would be pulling for the Cowboys, said I would have a player
to root for on the Cowboys team.
But since you mentioned it, don't understand the attitude towards the Cowboys because we only play them once every 3 or 4 years. I'm basically neutral about the team soon to be up in Arlington. I save my attitude for
our real nemesis which is our division rivals: they are the ones who stand between us and the playoffs more than any other team or teams.
I lived there and didn't care for the people and thier stuck up attitudes, the cowboys represent them and there town, so thats why i love to hate them, put I do love watching Dat Nguyen!
Old 04-26-2005   #113
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
I wouldn't pull for the cowgirls if my grandson played for them!
I couldn't pull for them if I played for them.
Old 04-26-2005   #114
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
There is a weird split in the state IMO. Up in Dallas, they either don't care about the Oilers/Texans or will root for them except when playing the Cowboys. Down here the priority is (1) for the Oilers/Texans to win and (2) for the Cowboys to lose--sometimes I am not sure they aren't actually reversed. Bizarre IMO, but it is quite evident it won't ever change.
Old 04-26-2005   #115
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcougar08
I lived there and didn't care for the people and thier stuck up attitudes, the cowboys represent them and there town, so thats why i love to hate them, put I do love watching Dat Nguyen!
I've had the opportunity to see quite a bit of this country, and let me tell you that DFW is nothing like Seattle, or LA, or Denver, or Boston, or the SF Bay
Area, or Manhatten, or Chicago - get the picture ? The place that it is most of all like is that other very large metro area in Texas on the Gulf Coast. One is land locked praire country and the other is coastal praire country. The cultures are basically the same. Couple brothers (maybe not twins, but certainly very similar siblings), who are very competitive.
Oh yea, and theres the summer weather - the summers are horribly hot and
humid to be sure - in N.Texas. And yea, they are probably even worse in Houston.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #116
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

I've looked at the Cowboys from many angles in this country .. my view has always been consistent..
Living in Cleveland ..hated em
Living in Phoenix .. hated em
Now in Houston .. still hate em

Oh! and briefly from Baton Rouge .. hated them from there too!
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #117
Marcus
Hall of Fame

I started hating them when I moved to Houston in 1967. Was in the eighth grade at the time. It just pissed me off to no end that when I turned on Channel 11 on Sunday, it was a Cowboy game every cotton pickin fricken week.

Now, later on in 1967, there was a Cowboy game on that I thoroughly enjoyed. As a matter of fact, going through my memory banks, it was probably the most enjoyable game I ever watched. It was the Ice Bowl, watching my favorite quarterback Bart Starr sneaking it into the endzone with 13 seconds left.

GOD! That was soooo ****in sweet!
Old 04-26-2005   #118
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to hate the Cowboys, I really don't much anymore. My attention is focused on the Texans and the Cowboys are pretty much beneath my notice unless we're playing them. I enjoy seeing the Cowboys lose then of course.

I think that in a vague sense I still like to see the Texans win more games than the Cowboys (and obviously the Titans) but I don't spend much time thinking about it. I notice it but it doesn't define how good or bad the season was to me.
Old 04-26-2005   #119
TexAntagonise
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TexAntagonise Send a message via MSN to TexAntagonise

I know this is off topic, but I can't resist a chance to vent on the Cowboys. Here is how my hatred of the Cowboys started. When I was a young boy my mom told me you root for the HOME team. Since Houston was 80 miles to the west, that would make them the home team. It seamed that every time the Oilers played the Cowboys I was the only person rooting for the Oilers. Now why was that? AHHHhhh I learned later it was the old thing called the Bandwagon. This was back when the Cowboys were making there Super Bowl runs. (70's) As I got older and started reading the local paper. I noticed that the Cowboys would have an article about double the size of the Oilers. And the third strike!!! "AMERICA'S TEAM" I never voted on this.

Last edited by TexAntagonise; 04-26-2005 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Wasn't finished typing oops
TexAntagonise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #120
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Latest views out of Dallas are that they think he had a decent year last year, but his age is still a question; and that he only works of if accepts the nickle role. Also going ot depend on teh money, but the Boys have plenty of cap space.

I hate to see AG go, but then again an 11 yr vetrean at CB starts to become a bit worriesome.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read