Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2005   #241
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
infantrycak, I guess it can be summed up as the "Chicken or the Egg". Did Glenn ask to be traded because of the PB trade, or did the Texans decide to let him seek a trade after the PB trade. Considering the outright deception this org has recently shown the fans, I'd venture to guess that no one on this MB knows what really went down....only what the org is spinning off as the "truth
Glenn has said several times already that he asked for the trade. What the heck outright deception are you talking about?

Quote:
Also, I have never thought Aaron Glenn to be the type that, when faced with competition, will just back down and ask for a trade! I've gotten the impression that he is more of the "my game is strong, bring it on!".
First off, Glenn has been interviewed several times in the past year and has known at some point this was going to happen--did he know it would be this year, no but he knew it was headed this way. Second, unless you want to accuse Glenn of outright deception as well, he has said he was concerned about Faggins' playing time. Regardless of the outcome of a Buchanon/Glenn fight for the starting job, Faggins was likely moving to #4 and a reduced role.
Old 04-27-2005   #242
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
He goes to a team that will let him battle for a spot.
You answered yourself--so long as Buchanon was not promised the starting job (which without some evidence I simply do not believe) and it was going to be a battle, then Glenn was not forced out. And since I personally thought his play was still good last year, I expected Glenn to win that competition. He chose to avoid the battle.
Old 04-27-2005   #243
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

what I have read, but not personally confirmed is that Glen thought the situation would be uncomfortable for himself, PB and Faggins. The line I read said something along the lines that he thought it would be bad if, for instance, Buchanan was starting instead of him (AG), and made a mistake then the croud begins chanting AG, AG, AG! or something along those lines. I really don't know for sure, but that is along the lines of why he supposedly didn't feel comfortable.
On the topic of bringing in Buchanan to compete for the job, no team is obligated to tell a player that they are trying to imoprove a position and ask that player how he feels on the subject. You just bring in the player who you think is an improvement and there wll be competition. period.
The Texans don't need any players approval to bring in talent that they feel improves the team. The notion that AG should feel affronted because Buchanan was acquired is absurd, but if he was, that's a personal problem that he has to deal with.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #244
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
And since I personally thought his play was still good last year, I expected Glenn to win that competition. He chose to avoid the battle.
So he goes to a team to battle and may not end up a starter, but you think he would have won the battle here and he leaves. Something is wrong with that analysis.
Old 04-27-2005   #245
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think management misled anyone. I think Aaron Glenn made a decision that he preferred to go elsewhere instead of accepting a lesser role. It's been reported that Capers gave him that option. I can imagine at first Glenn was hurt, but said he would do whatever is best for the team. I think the thought was that Buchanon would come in and all 3 would play significant roles in helping improve the pass defense. After a few days, Glenn decided that he would prefer to get a chance to get more playing time. He said so in his interview on 610. The team honored his preference because they are a class organization. The Texans are under the cap and it's doubtful they will find free agents after June 1 to use up the cap space. Had Glenn decided to take a lesser role and wanted to stay, I'm sure the team would have kept him.
Old 04-27-2005   #246
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
So he goes to a team to battle and may not end up a starter, but you think he would have won the battle here and he leaves. Something is wrong with that analysis.
Those are disjunctive items. What I think of his play, isn't the same thing as his concerns/decision making on whether to stay with the team, which evidently did not just include his ability to retain the starting job, but how Buchanon coming in affected Faggins as well. If you want to call it forced out then fine, but I disagree with the characterization--if Glenn had not asked for his release there is zero evidence to demonstrate the Texans wouldn't have kept him next year. In my book if you have the option of being on the team, then you haven't been forced out.
Old 04-27-2005   #247
SESupergenius

Quote:
In my book if you have the option of being on the team, then you haven't been forced out.
By bringing in a player like PB you are telling someone that you are not happy with their job. It's a more than subtle way of saying you need to upgrade the position. PB wasn't going to be a happy camper being a nickel back, and I doubt we spend a 2nd and 3rd rounder to do so. Come on man it's as plain as day.
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2005   #248
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

good article

Quote:
...He became expendable to the Texans after the team traded a second- and a third-round pick to Oakland in exchange for cornerback Phillip Buchanon, who is eight years younger than Glenn. Buchanon and second-year player Dunta Robinson will be the Texans' starting cornerbacks in 2005. Demarcus Faggins will be the nickel back, and free-agent signee Lewis Sanders is projected to be on the field when the Texans use four corners.

"I told Aaron that it was a blessing to play with him," said Robinson, who considered Glenn a mentor during his rookie season. "To be a rookie in this league and get a chance to play with a guy with his knowledge and experience, a guy who was willing to share that with me ... I told him I couldn't thank him enough."

Texans coach Dom Capers met with Glenn the day the Buchanon trade was completed and gave the veteran cornerback the option of staying, possibly in a reduced role, or exploring his options elsewhere. When Glenn found a willing partner in the Cowboys, the Texans granted him his release.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Aaron Glenn," Texans coach Dom Capers said in a statement released by the team. "I appreciate all that he has done for us in the time that he's been here. He set the tone as far as leadership and work ethic for our franchise over the first three years. He's the type of player you enjoy coaching. You hate to lose him, but it's the nature of the business, and we wish Aaron nothing but the best."

The Texans will have new starters at four different positions on defense; five if you include strong safety Glenn Earl, who took over as the starter in the second half of the season after Eric Brown was benched. Inside linebackers Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman, both three-year starters, were released last month as the Texans continued to get younger and faster on defense. Brown also was cut.

The Texans believe their pass defense must improve if they are to take the next step toward postseason contention, especially competing in the same division as the Indianapolis Colts, who had three 1,000-yard receivers and a quarterback who had an NFL-record 49 touchdown passes in 2004.

The Texans were among the NFL's worst teams at defending the pass. They were 24th in passing yards allowed and 30th in TD passes surrendered.

With Glenn out of the mix, free safety Marcus Coleman becomes the senior member of the secondary, and even more will be expected of Robinson, who led the team with six interceptions as a rookie.

"We'll have some new faces, but one of the first things Aaron told me last year was that this is a business, and a lot of things are going to happen," Robinson said. "He said some of the people who are here now won't be here next year. Things change in this league."...
So basically... quite a few of ya are right...
- when PB came in AG was in early stages of being out
- AG was a mentor to DRob
- mutual respect between Texans and AG
- we were on the low end of pass defense
- and players understand it's a business decision
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #249
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
By bringing in a player like PB you are telling someone that you are not happy with their job. It's a more than subtle way of saying you need to upgrade the position. PB wasn't going to be a happy camper being a nickel back, and I doubt we spend a 2nd and 3rd rounder to do so. Come on man it's as plain as day.
Well, regardless of whether it is plain as day, I just hope the move works. If Buchanon doesn't equal Glenn's performance last year I will join you in criticizing the move and in particular letting Glenn go--but I am not going to pre-judge his performance at this point. I hope Hoke had some major input on this call.

One other point for all the folks who don't think there is a chance of Buchanon/Greenwood meeting or exceeding Glenn/Sharper's performance last year--think about the after the fact "slamming" Glenn & Sharper have gotten around here. I see no reason to believe the same phenomenon didn't happen in Miami and Oakland.
Old 04-27-2005   #250
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

As we saw with the attempted Orlando Pace trade, the Texans are always trying to upgrade every position. Everyone is expendable. All of these guys know, or at least they should know, that if they are looking for a job that provides job security, then perhaps a position with the Social Security Administration is the way to go. There is not guaranteed job security in the NFL, or with the Houston Texans organization. That applies not only to the players, but also includes the coach and the GM.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #251
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
Losing a player of AG's calibur with zero compensation is a bad deal.
We should have allowed AG to talk to teams but negotiated for some compensation of some sort. I think we could have gotten a 5th or 6th rounder for him.

Here is my GUESS on what transpired. The Texans realized that AG would need to be replaced in a year or two. They knew this was a CB strong draft. They like Pac-Man Jones and Artrell Rolle and might have been willing to trade up a bit to get one of them (not sure how they felt about Rogers). They told AG that they might take a CB to groom behind him this year. That would imply that AG would probably be gone after this season anyways (you don't have a high 1st round CB play "nickel" two years in a row if you can help it). Casserly saw Buchanon as a 1st round talent at less than a 1st round purchase (not sure I agree but obviously he thought that). He pulls the trigger on the trade because he gets AG's replacement AND still keeps the 1st round pick. AG gets upset because there is a huge difference between a 4-year veteran and a rookie. He asks to look for a trade. Later he asks to be released. We have basically excelerated the AG replacement process by one season.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #252
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Glenn just officially signed with the Dallas Cowgirls:

Quote:
Cowboys Officially Sign Veteran CB Aaron Glenn
The Cowboys went through the entire draft without taking a cornerback, but couldn't resist on grabbing 11-year veteran Aaron Glenn, who signed to a two-year deal Wednesday at Valley Ranch. Glenn, who was released by the Texans on Tuesday, played three years in Houston after eight years with the Jets, including three of that under Bill Parcells. Glenn, a three-time Pro Bowler who turns 33 in September, has 35 career interceptions, but will likely come to the Cowboys as the third cornerback behind projected starters Terence Newman and Anthony Henry.
LINK
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #253
done88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The negativity from our fan base is amazing. Almost funny if it wasn't so sad.

Negativity is not always a bad thing. It shows that I care enough to get upset. If the changes have been made to make the team better then the Texans at the very least need better PR to help the fans understand. Because in the end it the fan base is what keeps a team moving in the right direction. I want to know why the Texans are raising ticket prices and dumping salary like it's nobodies business. I want the team to win. Losing productive charcter guys like Sharper and Glenn in exchange for lower charcter guys that have been less productive is not a good sign. Wanting the team to make decisions based on opportunity not money is not a bad thing.
Old 04-27-2005   #254
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
We should have allowed AG to talk to teams but negotiated for some compensation of some sort. I think we could have gotten a 5th or 6th rounder for him.

Here is my GUESS on what transpired. The Texans realized that AG would need to be replaced in a year or two. They knew this was a CB strong draft. They like Pac-Man Jones and Artrell Rolle and might have been willing to trade up a bit to get one of them (not sure how they felt about Rogers). They told AG that they might take a CB to groom behind him this year. That would imply that AG would probably be gone after this season anyways (you don't have a high 1st round CB play "nickel" two years in a row if you can help it). Casserly saw Buchanon as a 1st round talent at less than a 1st round purchase (not sure I agree but obviously he thought that). He pulls the trigger on the trade because he gets AG's replacement AND still keeps the 1st round pick. AG gets upset because there is a huge difference between a 4-year veteran and a rookie. He asks to look for a trade. Later he asks to be released. We have basically excelerated the AG replacement process by one season.

That's probably a very astute assessment of the situation, but the part I still do not get is Caper's telling Glenn that he can either come back and compete with PB for playing time, or he could pursue a trade. I don't get that line of thinking. Yes, it may add to the Texans as a FA destination of choice, but by the same token, why are we letting the players dictate what is best for the team. That's why we have a FO and coaching staff. What else is he going to let the players decide. Who starts? What plays are run? The players are called players because they aren't management. The players have a selfish interest in looking out for #1. Capers' job is to look out for the entire team. Imo, letting a still solid vet go just because they wanted to look like Mr. nice guy, is not the way to build the best team.
As far as I am concerned, this proves to me this was all an attempt to pull the wool over our eyes, and save them a PR embarssement. What is the best way to dump a very popular player and save face? Simple. Make it look like the player was the one asking for the release, and then add to the triumph by making it appear that they are just the nicest organization on the planet because they will always do what the players want. It all worked out so nicely for them, but I am not that dumb. I think the masses will buy it though, and so from a PR standpoint, this was beautifully orcherstrated.
Old 04-27-2005   #255
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure if this has been posted:

As quoted from DallasCowboys.com:

"So that's why only one day after getting released by the Houston Texans, cornerback Aaron Glenn is already a member of the Cowboys, signing a two-year deal here Wednesday afternoon in lightning-quick fashion. Glenn, who was expected to make $4 million in base salary with the Texans, received about $1 million in signing bonus with a $765,000 base salary for this season. Glenn will count $1.26 million against the cap this year, and about $1.5 million next season."
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #256
outofhnd
All Pro

Amazing how he didnt get near the 4 million he was going to get playing here. I hope Glenn does well. i just dont understand why they refuse to renegotiate their contract rather than get released and signed for the league minimum.
Old 04-27-2005   #257
Holden135
Veteran

I don't know why glenn went to Dallas if he wanted more playing time. He is not starting there. I heard Jerry Jones on the radio saying he would be the no. 3 db behind Henry and Newman.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #258
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

One other point for all the folks who don't think there is a chance of Buchanon/Greenwood meeting or exceeding Glenn/Sharper's performance last year--think about the after the fact "slamming" Glenn & Sharper have gotten around here. I see no reason to believe the same phenomenon didn't happen in Miami and Oakland.
Can't speak for Oakland, but I can say with confidence that NOBODY down here in Miami misses Greenwood. He was just another underachieving Wannstedt draftee who never made a memorable play. No after-the-fact about it--he's been dogged from day 1. That said, maybe a change of scenery will clear that legacy from his mind and he can start achieving.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #259
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04
Not sure if this has been posted:

As quoted from DallasCowboys.com:

"So that's why only one day after getting released by the Houston Texans, cornerback Aaron Glenn is already a member of the Cowboys, signing a two-year deal here Wednesday afternoon in lightning-quick fashion. Glenn, who was expected to make $4 million in base salary with the Texans, received about $1 million in signing bonus with a $765,000 base salary for this season. Glenn will count $1.26 million against the cap this year, and about $1.5 million next season."
I don't know if it is ego, money or what, but both Sharper (through restructuring) and Glenn could have played just as much in Houston as their new deals and made more money (on Glenn that is a certainty, on Sharper it is a guess based on the incredibly low contract he signed compared to his Texans contract.)
Old 04-27-2005   #260
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Parcells factor cannot be overlooked. I did not hear the whole interview Aaron did on 610 yesterday but he did mention that Bill had called him. It's purely speculation on my part but maybe he just wanted a fresh start with somebody he's familiar with. Obviously it's not about the money.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read