Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2005   #1
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default Are we setting a bad precedent here?

We all want the Texans to go after big time free agents, but what message are we sending them? Sign here but if you don't live up to pro bowl form we will release you (even if you did have a fairly good year)?

I understand why we let Sharper go, and even if we release Glen, I can see why. But we will resign Braford? And I know he didn't cost us much, but for what he gave us last year, I think he is still over paid. But release Glen, je had a solid year ( he has lost a step, I willl give you that), but he provided so much more. Leadership on the field and in the clubhouse, mentor to DRob. And Sharper still lead the team in tackles, makes all the calls, but we let him go because he got mad because we lost (so do I) and he was going to make too much money. And now we have no one returning in that area. (Plus we move Wong to another position after he probably had his best year as a Texan). Yes Glen and Sharper were going to make a lot of money, and we still are going to have to pay them something, and we get inexperience and possiblly a bad attitude in return.

So what message is this telling other players in the league, Texans want you, will pay you, then drop you like a rock if you don't put up Pro Bowl numbers. What are Agents going to say about signing with the Texans?

Please don't question my loyality to the Texans, because I will still be there every Sunday in front of the boob tube, screaming and hollering. But this was just sometihing that I was wondering, and wanted to know if anyone else felt the same, or I am way off base here?
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #2
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

The precedent had been set by every other team before we came into existence...In this era of free agency and the salary cap, once your production curtails or it is assumed that your production will curtail in the near future, and you are making around $5M per year, you're more than likely going to be a goner...I don't agree with getting rid of Glenn, but this is a business...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

This message you speak of that the Texans are sending to players all around the league is the same message that 31 other teams are sending out. I personally don't think it's something that is going to be a factor when it comes to a free agent player choosing a team and considering the Texans.
Old 04-25-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think what it comes down to is winning.

If you are a winning team.. FAs will sign with you no matter what (long as you pay em of course.. and they will sign for less if they think an SB could be in their future). If you are a losing team.. it doesnt matter how nice you are to them.. they arent gonna sign unless you pay em the big bucks.

If we start winning like we intend to.. then the release of Glenn, Foreman, and Sharper.. will have no effect on our ability to sign FAs.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #5
LBblitz
Veteran

You and I know as well as mostly everyone on this forum that overpaying olderplayers cannot and will not get you a superbowl win and can be devastating for years to come (ask the raiders). However it is key to hold on to the core players of the team that bring leadership and consistency. I agree that releasing players left and right could put a cloud over our potential FA future, however, if cass' and capers' plan works out and we become a winning football team and contenders, that (more often than not) will bring players to houston.
Old 04-25-2005   #6
LBblitz
Veteran

oops I guess grid beat me to that point (or I type REALLY slow)lol
Old 04-25-2005   #7
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just feel that is what the NFL is about. If you don't put up numbers or you cost to much and aren't worth the vaule anymore then yes you will be released. I am totally ready for the upcoming and I am happy that CC is not worrying about the fans thought and worrying about building a defense!!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2005   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
We all want the Texans to go after big time free agents, but what message are we sending them? Sign here but if you don't live up to pro bowl form we will release you (even if you did have a fairly good year)? re

So what message is this telling other players in the league, Texans want you, will pay you, then drop you like a rock if you don't put up Pro Bowl numbers. What are Agents going to say about signing with the Texans?

Please don't question my loyality to the Texans, because I will still be there every Sunday in front of the boob tube, screaming and hollering. But this was just sometihing that I was wondering, and wanted to know if anyone else felt the same, or I am way off base here?
IMO, you're reading some things wrong in this. IMO, Sharper wasn't mad because we lost. He never showed much leadership on the field. NEVER showed any fir ILB's SHOULD show. I bet if ya look at game film, 80% of Sharpers tackles wer 4-5 yrds on the WRONG side OLS. By several yards.
Sharper is good when surrounded by superior talent. He is NOT a superior talent. Glenn is another story altogether. MO is that his feelings were hurt due to PB and his ego couldn't accommodate the insult. SOOOOOOOO to make a short story long, I feel we are sending the RIGHT message around the league. The Texans want PLAYMAKERS(Glenn not withstanding), not over paid, over-aged FA's looking for one last big payday. If you can produce, you're welcome here. If not, look elsewhere. I NEVER want our team to look like the Redskins or Raiders(maybe it has to do with teams that begin in "R"). I like the way we are heading and think '05 is gonna be our 1st winning season.
P.S. Quote edited for length. I'm WAY too mouthy tonite. LOL
Old 04-25-2005   #9
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting thread, and some great points on both sides. I'm not comfortable with the way the Sharper and now-probably Glenn cuts are going down. But on the other hand, didn't Jamie Sharper just do the same thing to Chad Brown? I guess they all get how it works.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #10
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I think its a conspiracy for us to buy more jersey's. "We sold out of the #31, #56, and #55!" "Ok, tell them to ask for a trade".
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I think its a conspiracy for us to buy more jersey's. "We sold out of the #31, #56, and #55!" "Ok, tell them to ask for a trade".
I like your style. "SHOW ME THE MONEY"!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2005   #12
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

We're not talking about Seth Wand here. We're talking about Pro Bowlers, both of whom were still making big plays last year.
Old 04-25-2005   #13
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

An unconditional release is agreed on by both the player and the team. Sharper agreed to an unconditional release. You could make a strong case that the Texans gave up more than Sharper did by permitting it. The Texans could not have done this by themselves. The Texans could have waived Sharper, but that is not what happened. If they had waived him, his contract would still be in effect. You guys are talking as if the Texans are establishing a practice of cutting players loose, who are under contract, whether the player likes it or not. This do not happen with Sharper, and there has been no talk I have heard that suggests they intend to "waive" Aaron Glenn.

Mutually beneficial, voluntary agreements, not signed under duress.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #14
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
We're not talking about Seth Wand here. We're talking about Pro Bowlers, both of whom were still making big plays last year.
Glenn was a Pro Bowler, Sharper never was and never played like one...
Old 04-25-2005   #15
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite
and so much for the character issues we lost the chance of drafting a clean cut player in DJ and we drafted someone that has been charged with RAPE.
He was acquitted, get over it...Just because you're accused of something doesn't mean you did it...That's what we have a legal system for...
Old 04-25-2005   #16
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Glenn was a Pro Bowler, Sharper never was and never played like one...
Oops, my bad...I was thinking of the year he had more tackles than Ray Lewis and still didn't get in.

(What an underachiever.)
Old 04-25-2005   #17
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
. I bet if ya look at game film, 80% of Sharpers tackles wer 4-5 yrds on the WRONG side OLS. By several yards.
Sharper is good when surrounded by superior talent.
Good Point, but if you look at most LB's whether a 4-3 or a 3-4, if the d-line doesn't pull its weight the LB get blocked and then make tackles farther down field if than they should, if they make the tackle at all. It is no secret, that our D-line didn't play well last year, but you don't see them replacing G-Funk. And I understand that Good D-linemen are harder to replace than a Good LB. But how many good linemen do we have. I just thought that Sharper was still servicable (notice I haven't mention Foreman). I was really kinda of excited about the possiblity of Wong, Greenwood, Sharper, and Babin as the LB's next year. It just seems like every year that 30 to 40% of our defense are new faces, or players learning new postions. And yes I know it is our 4th year and our defense need to make some changes, just didn't think Sharper and Glenn, were areas that need to be replaced right away.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #18
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
Oops, my bad...I was thinking of the year he had more tackles than Ray Lewis and still didn't get in.

(What an underachiever.)
Wow, he had 164 tackles in 1 year, big deal...There's a reason that he didn't make the Pro Bowl that year...At least 158 of those tackles were on the wrong side of the LOS...He wasn't a leader for us and his production wasn't matching his paycheck...He's replaceable...
Old 04-25-2005   #19
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite
We sure do and same goes for OJ simpson
The difference is that Simpson could afford a team of lawyers led by Johnny Cochran (RIP)....I seriously doubt any college kid could be acquitted by an all female jury if there were any substantial evidence to prove wrongdoing on his part...
Old 04-25-2005   #20
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

you should try reading the boards more Elite. There have been a couple articles posted on Johnson's supposed sexual assault. It seems pretty obvious that it was a bogus charge.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read