Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2011   #101
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario and Barwin vs Barwin and Reed

if we do get rid of mario in the off season i want a OLB who is faster and that can drop back into coverage This is a passing game now and we need SPeed over power IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #102
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The only criticism I have ever made of Mario is that he underachieves. He could be great, and other than the last 12 games of 2007 and all of 2008, he hasn't been great.

Since he was injured, I have not been trying to criticize him. All I am saying is that the defense can be successful without out him (barring further injuries at key positions)... While the team loses something in the pass rush with Reed in his place, I'm making the argument that they gain something as well and that Wade Phillips can maximize what Reed offers in a way that will be productive for the defense.

I wish you would stop perpetuating this myth that Mario Williams often saw double teams this year. I know he saw a lot of them in 2008 and 2009. I'm talking about this season. This season he was almost never double-teamed.
i'm not saying that the defense can't be successful without him, b/c we obviously have been. I'm simply saying that we'd be more successful with him whether he's at DE (like you'd like him to be) or OLB b/c at the end of the day, offenses WILL go out of their way to make sure he's accounted for b/c he is that talented & he has done it before. Obviously, he has a better chance to do that in wade's system as an olb instead of a de. sure, you may lose some flexibility with him not being effective out in coverage, but i think at this point wade feels that the damage he could do rushing as the olb outweighs what you lose with his shortcomings in coverage; that is not an unreasonable stance....the positives outweigh the negatives if you will.

& I may be wrong, but where did i state he was facing double teams?

But since you took it there, why acknowledge that he saw plenty of double teams in 2008 & 2009, but not in 2010 or 2011? what in your mind would've changed offensive coord.'s views of him these last couple of years to where they felt they could single block him? It just doesn't make sense when you factor in the Wade Phillips hire & him having more talent around him than he's ever had before & the fact that the position he was moved to is exclusively set up to be the guy. If anything that would bring more attention to him.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #103
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Ok you're going to e plain to me where the hell they got these numbers from. How has Reed who only has 2 starts under his belt have 115 rushes already while mostly playing the strong side while Mario has 124 in 4.2 games? The numbers don't add up.

Not to mention they obviously don't realize it's Barwin they need to be comparing Mario's numbers with since he is actually the one that took Mario's position over.

If they/ you want a real comparison they need to match up what Barwin has done since the move compared to Mario and what Reed has don compared to what Barwin did before the move. Until the do that their numbers are a waste of time looking at.
They chart every single game. This is an article I wrote a while back about the strengths and limitations of their data:

Pro Football Focus: How Do They Put Their Numbers Together?

The reason why they may be making the Mario/Reed comparison is that with Mario missing, Reed's snaps have increased. So you are comparing the productivity of the snaps.

But yeah, it might be interesting to look at all three positions together given the different positions. If you would like the author to look into the Barwin numbers too, I could ask.
Old 10-28-2011   #104
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only criticism I have ever made of Mario is that he underachieves. He could be great, and other than the last 12 games of 2007 and all of 2008, he hasn't been great.
LOL. What??!! You could do this to anybody. On top of taking away the 28 games you already took away, why didn't you say to take 7 games in 2009 to take away his 9 sacks, 7 games in 2010 to take away 8.5 sacks and 3.25 games to take away his 5 sacks from this year. I mean if you take all those away, and look at the Saints game this year and all the ones you didn't take out...he's been such an under achiever!!!!!!

Anybody is going to "underachieve" if you don't credit their actual achievements. SMH
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #105
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
They chart every single game. This is an article I wrote a while back about the strengths and limitations of their data:

The reason why they may be making the Mario/Reed comparison is that with Mario missing, Reed's snaps have increased. So you are comparing the productivity of the snaps.

But yeah, it might be interesting to look at all three positions together given the different positions. If you would like the author to look into the Barwin numbers too, I could ask.
That would be incredibly cool. I would love to see what Barwin has been able to do before and after the position change.
Old 10-28-2011   #106
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

I'm not quite sure I can "trust" their charting to the utmost accuracy.
I don't know how many people they have charting each game, and how familiar they are with all the personnels of all 32 teams.

A couple years ago, I tried to look into the obvious:
Watching a few players that don't appear in the game much so I can see if their charting is correct or not.
They mistook Adibi for another player on a couple of plays, for example.
It was then that I said "before analyzing the data", there's a need for "data integrity".
Partially for that reason, the individual stats, I'm not convinced they can get it "accurate enough" (and then you add to it the guesswork involved in coverage scheme, pass protection scheme, etc.) to be of "intelligent" analysis on individual players.

Team stats, yeah sure, those can be put into good use.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #107
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

who cares, i think wade has earned all kinds of respect so far. he sets up players to succeed. dude plays the cards he is dealt and he has the D playing great with or without mario. kubiaks greatest failure was handing his defense to dumbasses. wade may save kubes job and if mario walks wade will continue with the cards he's dealt. wade is something special.
hell wade has a nice D when everyone knows where his weak link is
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2011   #108
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
who cares, i think wade has earned all kinds of respect so far. he sets up players to succeed. dude plays the cards he is dealt and he has the D playing great with or without mario. kubiaks greatest failure was handing his defense to dumbasses. wade may save kubes job and if mario walks wade will continue with the cards he's dealt. wade is something special.
hell wade has a nice D when everyone knows where his weak link is
Let's not forget that Wade was given the freedom to dratf Watt, Reed and to add Jospeph and Manning to the defense.

We lost Mario a few games into the season, but we also gained Barwin back from injury.

Demeco has been slow with injury, but we didn't have Cushing for a few last year.

The other players also had time to mature/acclimate to the game (Cody, Mitchell, Jamison - at least offsetting the loss of Okoye; some may even say a whole more than that.)

I don't know what you mean by weak link exactly, but so far I can't see you'r saying NT (these are the same guys anyway, and they are rounding off into better players with more years of experience.)

If you're talking about #2 CB, Wade was able to draft a guy for himself (Brandon Harris).
So whether you say it was KJ or Allen that was the link, your point has no merrit.

The safety play hasn't been exceptional by any mean, but there were fewer critical mistakes, and at least enough good plays from the current players.

Make no mistake, this defense has to be much better than last year given the overall availabiilty of talents on the roster.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #109
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
i'm not saying that the defense can't be successful without him, b/c we obviously have been. I'm simply saying that we'd be more successful with him whether he's at DE (like you'd like him to be) or OLB b/c at the end of the day, offenses WILL go out of their way to make sure he's accounted for b/c he is that talented & he has done it before. Obviously, he has a better chance to do that in wade's system as an olb instead of a de. sure, you may lose some flexibility with him not being effective out in coverage, but i think at this point wade feels that the damage he could do rushing as the olb outweighs what you lose with his shortcomings in coverage; that is not an unreasonable stance....the positives outweigh the negatives if you will.

& I may be wrong, but where did i state he was facing double teams?

But since you took it there, why acknowledge that he saw plenty of double teams in 2008 & 2009, but not in 2010 or 2011? what in your mind would've changed offensive coord.'s views of him these last couple of years to where they felt they could single block him? It just doesn't make sense when you factor in the Wade Phillips hire & him having more talent around him than he's ever had before & the fact that the position he was moved to is exclusively set up to be the guy. If anything that would bring more attention to him.

I'm not reading the box scores and then complaining about a lack of sacks. Sometimes there is a clear lack of effort on his part. I'm not sure why this is even debated. Look at the violence and intensity Antonio Smith plays with every snap compared to Mario. When Mario is double-teamed, for instance, he usually stands and hand-slaps, assuming he can't make a play (or it's too much effort). My criticism of Mario has been consistent since last year (before 2010, I was a big supporter and fan of his... including on draft day). His effort is often not very good and I don't like that. I prefer players like Smith, Barwin, Watt, Cushing, Jamison, all who give everything they have on nearly every snap... I realize that doesn't make them the better player, but it does make them the more likeable player in my mind.
Old 10-29-2011   #110
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with 76Texan's point that the Texans defensive talent has improved from last season. but the biggest difference between the 2 seasons defensive performance has to be coaching. Had the previous coaches worked with this talent, the defense would still be ineffective. Had Wade worked with last year's defense, he could have produced an adequate unit. I believe Wade would, has, and can find a way.

Wow am i having fun with my new tablet (ugh). Never teach an old dog new tricks.
Old 10-29-2011   #111
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
His effort is often not very good and I don't like that. I prefer players like Smith, Barwin, Watt, Cushing, Jamison, all who give everything they have on nearly every snap... I realize that doesn't make them the better player, but it does make them the more likeable player in my mind.
Travis Johnson & Amobi Okoye were high effort guys.... you could watch every snap & you could see they were giving everything they had on every single snap... still wasn't good enough.

I don't know what you are seeing as a lack of effort from Mario. He's probably played more snaps than any player on the team since he's been here. He plays hurt. & He delivers.

Bar none, Mario is the most complete 4-3 defensive end in the league. Maybe he's expecting a run play & you're expecting him to go after the QB. I remember early in his career that used to get me, he's done a better job of recognizing situations & what he's expecting, but still get's caught sometimes.

Bottom line, I'd be worried if Mario Williams were ever to be a jagUar or a Titan. I don't worry about over-rated players.
Old 10-29-2011   #112
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Travis Johnson & Amobi Okoye were high effort guys.... you could watch every snap & you could see they were giving everything they had on every single snap... still wasn't good enough.
I'm not sure that is true about Amobi Okoye. But, yeah, Travis Johnson was a high effort guy and I was a pretty big fan of his, too.
Old 10-29-2011   #113
Playmaker
Veteran

Rep Power: 244 Playmaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it won't happen, but I think Cushing would beast at one of the OLB positions. I wish Wade would give Brian same type of role Clay Matthews III has at GB.
Playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #114
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I agree with 76Texan's point that the Texans defensive talent has improved from last season. but the biggest difference between the 2 seasons defensive performance has to be coaching. Had the previous coaches worked with this talent, the defense would still be ineffective. Had Wade worked with last year's defense, he could have produced an adequate unit. I believe Wade would, has, and can find a way.

Wow am i having fun with my new tablet (ugh). Never teach an old dog new tricks.
what kind of tablet?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #115
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
if we do get rid of mario in the off season i want a OLB who is faster and that can drop back into coverage This is a passing game now and we need SPeed over power IMO
Picking #25 in first round Courtney Upshaw is available and in second round #57, Melvin Ingram are two to watch.
Old 10-29-2011   #116
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
what kind of tablet?
Samsung GalaxyTab
Old 10-29-2011   #117
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker View Post
I know it won't happen, but I think Cushing would beast at one of the OLB positions. I wish Wade would give Brian same type of role Clay Matthews III has at GB.
I was thinking the same thing this offseason, before Mario was moved to OLB. Right now, Cush has become too important inside to consider a move outside. An injury to Darwin or Reed could change my (and Wade's) opinion.
Old 10-29-2011   #118
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why? So he can have 25 less tackles.
Cushing : 47
Matthews : 22
Old 10-29-2011   #119
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is a blitzer, a guy you send up the middle to blow someone up, not a pass rusher. He is exactly where he needs to be. Would you put Ray Lewis at OLB? Patrick Willis? Cushing is playing that well.
Old 10-29-2011   #120
Playmaker
Veteran

Rep Power: 244 Playmaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Why? So he can have 25 less tackles.
Cushing : 47
Matthews : 22
Extrapolate CMIII stats this year to Cushing, a little too simplistic don't you think?

You know what kind of havoc Cushing can cause as an edge rushing OLB? I can easily see him have double digit sacks and be one of the leaders in tackles for losses. Tackles are fine, but tackles for losses and sacks are even better.

As it is, we don't have an adequate replacement for Cushing inside if he moves outside, Sharpton would be a drop off. And we need Cushing inside cause DeMeco hasn't fully recovered yet.
Playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read