Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2011   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario and Barwin vs Barwin and Reed

I know this will get laughed at but I think the combo of Reed and Barwin is going to be better than the combo of Mario and Barwin. Now we have legit speed off the edge's which is going to force QB's to step up more. Barwin had a very disruptive game this week and Reed played very comparable to what Barwin was producing when Mario was opposite him.
Old 10-25-2011   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario and Barwin vs Barwin and Reed

What you're saying may be counterintuitive, but that doesn't mean it won't wind up being true.

A team is more than the sum of its parts.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

For the $$$$ spent Barwin/Reed.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #4
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can get Mario to sign a reasonable contract then I would love to keep all 3. Barwin has been fantastic so far this year.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #5
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

My problem with Brooks is that he is too aggressive against the run and leaves the backside cutback wide open
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
My problem with Brooks is that he is too aggressive against the run and leaves the backside cutback wide open

This. The Titans only big run of the day came off of that last week with Ringer.
Old 10-25-2011   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
LOL

How many yds did C.Johnson gain last Sunday.

I'd say Reed did a great job eliminating the cutback lanes against the Tacks.
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2011   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think people are too quick to make a final analysis on situation like this, but the Texans at least get to see if Barwin, Reed, Jamison at low $$$ is more effective than paying a legitimate, if not a bit overrated, pass rusher market money after coming off another season where injuries impacted his play. I am going to let the other nine games play out, even though my bias is against attempting to re-sign Mario.
Old 10-25-2011   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I think people are too quick to make a final analysis on situation like this, but the Texans at least get to see if Barwin, Reed, Jamison at low $$$ is more effective than paying a legitimate, if not a bit overrated, pass rusher market money after coming off another season where injuries impacted his play. I am going to let the other nine games play out, even though my bias is against attempting to re-sign Mario.
Seems like a reasonable post.

We will have none that around here. LOL
Old 10-25-2011   #10
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
LOL

How many yds did C.Johnson gain last Sunday.

I'd say Reed did a great job eliminating the cutback lanes against the Tacks.
Chris Johnson is averaging 2.9 YPC, he's not hitting that cutback against anybody.

But I've paid close attention to Reed since the preseason and it's a weakness of his. He immediately tries to crash into the middle on a run and been doing it all season long. You hardly ever see him stay at home
Old 10-25-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I kinda liked Mario + Barwin + Reed better than Barwin + Reed + whatever we got going now.

I'm definitely for giving it more time to see how Reed & Barwin pan out, my initial observation is that there has been a serious drop off. I haven't seen Antonio Smith for 2.5 games & there's been one JJ Watt sighting in that time. Brian Cushing appears to be our best pass rusher right now.

But, Brooks is a rookie, Connor is basically in his second year. JJ is a rookie. Let's see what happens.
Old 10-25-2011   #12
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Brooks is a rookie, Connor is basically in his second year. JJ is a rookie. Let's see what happens.
Right on. A terrific performance considering the youth.

Does the future look bright in Houston? Hope so.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #13
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I kinda liked Mario + Barwin + Reed better than Barwin + Reed + whatever we got going now.

I'm definitely for giving it more time to see how Reed & Barwin pan out, my initial observation is that there has been a serious drop off. I haven't seen Antonio Smith for 2.5 games & there's been one JJ Watt sighting in that time. Brian Cushing appears to be our best pass rusher right now.
This is spot on. Mario attracts a level of attention and offensive gameplanning that frees up a lot of room for other guys like Smith and Watt. Reed and Barwin are nowhere near that level despite their obvious tools.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #14
The Cush
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo orlando View Post
This is spot on. Mario attracts a level of attention and offensive gameplanning that frees up a lot of room for other guys like Smith and Watt. Reed and Barwin are nowhere near that level despite their obvious tools.
Cue the "Mario doesn't attract extra attention, nor do teams gameplan against him and that's just a myth" crowd in 3...2...1......
Old 10-26-2011   #15
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

u got to admit our whole front 7 plays better with mw on the line...A.smith gets sacks jj watt gets sacks and pressure etc. Although i will say that there are other areas where we need to spend that kinda money i.e.#2 cb/wr ... foster,tate etc...
Old 10-26-2011   #16
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes, we fans get caught up in whatever is new and fresh. Reed is the new kid on the block, and so may get overly excited. And why not right? He's a high draft pick of ours and would love to see him take off.

But every single defensive coordinator in the league will tell you the Texans are better off with Mario and Barwin.

Could Barwin/Reed duo be better in the future? Of course there's always that possibility, but IMO, it probably won't work out that way, and this is coming from a big Reed fan.

Mario's elite combination of size, speed, and strength allows us to literally place him all over the front 7 and do it with success. That makes it tons easier for everyone else involved on the line and in the LB core.

Now, if you're saying having Barwin and Reed will result in the Texans fixing up the other holes in the roster to make us a better TEAM? Then for sure I'd be fine with that.

But if it's just duos, you've got to roll with Mario there instead of Reed.

Great post however, because we all know it's crossed our minds.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80tothezone View Post
u got to admit our whole front 7 plays better with mw on the line...A.smith gets sacks jj watt gets sacks and pressure etc. Although i will say that there are other areas where we need to spend that kinda money i.e.#2 cb/wr ... foster,tate etc...
I'll admit it's hard to tell, but when Antonio was getting a sack a game through the first 4 games, but hasn't had but half a sack since Oakland...... you got to wonder what's going on.

Now, since the Raiders game we've been playing QBs who just haven't been getting sacked. Campbell had only been sacked once I think in the 4 games prior. Flacco had been sacked 5 times in 4 weeks.... Collins 7 (I'm going by memory here).

Maybe the OLs have been getting better. Hasselbeck sure as heck did a lot to make sure he didn't get sacked..... got it out quick, threw it away several times, threw it at the feet of covered receivers...

Jacksonville is ranked 28th, giving up 21 sacks on the year already. That's 3 per game

Cleveland has given up 14 sacks in 6 games 2 per game

Tampa Bay has given up 10 in 7 games 1 per game.

So we should see quite a bit of action from our front 7 against Jacksonville, not so much against Cleveland & even less against Tampa.

But we need to see more of the Dawg, he needs to step up & make it easier on Reed & Barwin, not the other way around.
Old 10-26-2011   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

How many sacks did Mario + Barwin get?
And how many have Reed + Barwin gotten?

Or how many have the Texans gotten during those times?
Old 10-26-2011   #19
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
How many sacks did Mario + Barwin get?
And how many have Reed + Barwin gotten?

Or how many have the Texans gotten during those times?
Also, are our player utilized different now, are we seeing a different defensive playcalling due to Mario being out?
Old 10-26-2011   #20
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Double post...

Last edited by Malloy; 10-26-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read