Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2011   #21
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Antonio Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Where Smith gets back-to-back penalties on the goal line? That's the game you want them to re-watch.

Smith is playing very well this season. Mario was playing very well. Yet, both the Antonio and Mario haters have to keep on hating.

What does losing his cool in a scuffle have to do with his ovrl play? Antonio has always picked up those type of penalties and those type of penalties have nothing to do with Mario being in or being out of the lineup.

Also saying Antonio is still playing well doesn't make you a "Mario hater", it makes you realistic (DLineman aren't going to post a sack in every singe game...where was all this criticism when Mario would disappear for stretches of games?) However starting a thread where you pretend Antonio is hurt and you admit you are taking a self proclaimed "stab at him" just to drive home some misguided point does make you a Mario fanboy who has to hate on another player just to get your point across.

This is something Mario fans have done even before the guy was hurt. It must really chap their ass that this defense is still producing at a high level without "their guy". Seriously, it's almost getting to the point where if you gave them some truth serum, they would freely admit they're rooting for the demise of this defense just to "save face" with their "Mario is god and is this entire defense and nobody else starting can even take a crap without him holding their hand" argument.

The most confusing thing about this is, the same people who'll go well out of their way to write off a players' solid play are also some of the same people who'll reach hand over foot defending a dud like Kareem Jackson. I just don't get it...it doesn't even make sense.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-26-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Are ninjas supposed to get off side penalties too?
Ninjas and the Lone Ranger pick up penalty flags and make masks!
Old 10-26-2011   #23
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what the funniest thing about this thread is. As the season rolls along and as this defense continues to play at a VERY high level, this thread is going to end up looking ridiculous.

Hell Antonio Smith wasn't even the only guy who they said Mario "allowed" to be productive...pretty much every defender was thrown in there as well. Well how the hell does Barwin keep getting off?....Cushing...I guess it's because of the mean stare from the sideline huh? I mean it's OBVIOUS he was the only reason why this defense did or does anything

People need to start rooting for the team and not just one freaking player, this is getting downright stupid.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-26-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #24
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
You know what the funniest thing about this thread is. As the season rolls along and as this defense continues to play at a VERY high level, this thread is going to end up looking ridiculous.

Hell Antonio Smith wasn't even the only guy who they said Mario "allowed" to be productive...pretty much every defender was thrown in there as well. Well how the hell does Barwin keep getting off?....Cushing...I guess it's because of the mean stare from the sideline huh? I mean it's OBVIOUS he was the only reason why this defense did or does anything

People need to start rooting for the team and not just one freaking player, this is getting downright stupid.
Don't you know Mario re-invented how the game was played? No one else is worth a shit on this team. It doesn't matter if we shut out every team we play for the rest of the season, the only reason we did it was because teams were so scared of Mario on the side lines they couldn't take their eyes off him. He is a football god.

The sad thing is I really like Mario but the lovers on here almost make me want to stop liking him.

oh yeh I must spred rep.
Old 10-26-2011   #25
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't speak for others but i don't hate on any texans' players.

I make observations and if those Observations are deemed negative so be it. I really don't think people hate on Antonio. Saying he benefited from Mario and Mario makes the defense a bit better is not a knock against smith.

But everyone should be able to state their view on it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #26
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
this defense continues to play at a VERY high level.

MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011   #27
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Any word on his injury?
I read the injury to Antonio Smith described as:
"Mario Williams tore his pectoral muscle, and is out for the season."
Old 10-27-2011   #28
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post

Can a Devensive Coordinator win coach of the year?
Old 10-27-2011   #29
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Antonio started out on fire and was making all kinds of plays. This has caused defenses to start to plan for him. That being said now Watt is starting to show up and make plays.

I think it's going to be like that for the rest of the year, Watt is going to get his or Smith is going to get his. It's pick your poison.

Smith, IMO, was a crappy 43 end, but in the 34 the man is a monster. I can honestly say I am a Smith hater no more.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #30
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Can a Devensive Coordinator win coach of the year?
nope, just head coach.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #31
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What does losing his cool in a scuffle have to do with his ovrl play? Antonio has always picked up those type of penalties and those type of penalties have nothing to do with Mario being in or being out of the lineup.

Also saying Antonio is still playing well doesn't make you a "Mario hater", it makes you realistic (DLineman aren't going to post a sack in every singe game...where was all this criticism when Mario would disappear for stretches of games?) However starting a thread where you pretend Antonio is hurt and you admit you are taking a self proclaimed "stab at him" just to drive home some misguided point does make you a Mario fanboy who has to hate on another player just to get your point across.

This is something Mario fans have done even before the guy was hurt. It must really chap their ass that this defense is still producing at a high level without "their guy". Seriously, it's almost getting to the point where if you gave them some truth serum, they would freely admit they're rooting for the demise of this defense just to "save face" with their "Mario is god and is this entire defense and nobody else starting can even take a crap without him holding their hand" argument.

The most confusing thing about this is, the same people who'll go well out of their way to write off a players' solid play are also some of the same people who'll reach hand over foot defending a dud like Kareem Jackson. I just don't get it...it doesn't even make sense.
I'm sorry but the pass rush has still not been near as good as it was when Mario was in, and is it a coincendence that Antonio has not gottean a sack since Williams went out. You were the one saying Smith was better and his numbers showed it and you said it had nothing to do with mario, well i think we can all see that was B.S. No mario no worries for the O-Line and no sacks for smith.
Old 10-29-2011   #32
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I'm sorry but the pass rush has still not been near as good as it was when Mario was in, and is it a coincendence that Antonio has not gottean a sack since Williams went out. You were the one saying Smith was better and his numbers showed it and you said it had nothing to do with mario, well i think we can all see that was B.S. No mario no worries for the O-Line and no sacks for smith.
Actually this is B.S.. Our defense has played relatively at the same level throughout the year. We started off the year against two of the worst teams in the NFL. And when teams have a chance to see what you are doing they are going to make adjustments accordingly.

You can't judge the teams performance in specific areas (sacks) in such a short period and say it's had a drop in effectiveness because of one player. Especially without even considering the level of competition. But of course that would mean you're being objective and we all know when it comes to Mario you have none of that.
Old 10-29-2011   #33
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Actually this is B.S.. Our defense has played relatively at the same level throughout the year. We started off the year against two of the worst teams in the NFL. And when teams have a chance to see what you are doing they are going to make adjustments accordingly.
I agree.

The last 3 teams we played haven't allowed many sacks this year. Oakland 2nd, Titans 3rd, Ravens 11th.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...qualified=true
Old 10-29-2011   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Can't speak for others but i don't hate on any texans' players.

I make observations and if those Observations are deemed negative so be it. I really don't think people hate on Antonio. Saying he benefited from Mario and Mario makes the defense a bit better is not a knock against smith.

But everyone should be able to state their view on it.
Same here!

Myself, when we first signed Antonio Smith, I said that he's a penetrator and should be used as such to be effective.

I set a minimum level of achievements (sacks, QB Hits, QB pressures) based upon his 07 numbers with the Cards (he had a slightly down year in 08).
I took the numbers from a few different websites.
I also added certain expectation of his play vs the run.

In 09, he surpassed that minimum level (I don't remember the numbers) such that I said he had at least earned a portion of the guaranteed portion of his contract.

In 2010, his productions were up to the level I deemed to be very good.
I stated after the season (in response to some posters who wanted to know about it) that Smith had pretty much earned ALL of th guaranteed money the Texans paid him.

From this season on, it will be the Texans that start to draw the benefit (interest) from that contract.
So, CB, mussop, DM et al, if y'all don't know already, I'm far from qualified as an Antonio Smith hater.

That said, I also stay with my firm statement that Mario Williams, when healthy, has always been the best defensive player this team have had since we drafted him. (He still played very well when he wasn't 100%, except for the last couple of games last season when it was clear that they need to puthim on the shelf.)

No, he never disappeared for long stretch of plays (nor did he take more plays off than the vast majority of linemen in the NFL.)

Obviously, you can't help the team from the tub.
So on the injury stand point, I wish Mario had been able to play more.

This team can still do well without Mario this year because young guys like Mitchell, Watt, Barwin, Jamison, and hopefully another guy or two (as a group) should improve the more seasoning they have under their belt.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I agree.

The last 3 teams we played haven't allowed many sacks this year. Oakland 2nd, Titans 3rd, Ravens 11th.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...qualified=true
Let's not forget that Collins (in the first game) is one of the more diificult QBs to get to during his career.

And Drew Brees, of course, is a fox.

There's no real/significant difference in level of competition (as far as pass protection goes) from the first 3 games and the last 3 games.
Old 10-29-2011   #36
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The slight negative about Antonio Smith was his play against the run as a 43 DE.
It wasn't bad but it was far from stellar (not as good as his play aginst the pass).
Now that he's inside as a 34 DE, we don't have to be concerned with that.
Old 10-29-2011   #37
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Let's not forget that Collins (in the first game) is one of the more diificult QBs to get to during his career.

And Drew Brees, of course, is a fox.

There's no real/significant difference in level of competition (as far as pass protection goes) from the first 3 games and the last 3 games.
The numbers say different.

Numbers are rank for sacks allowed/qb hits allowed.
Miami 30/30
Colts. 10/24
NO. 13/2

Compared to
Raiders 2/14
Ravens. 11/23
Titans. 3/3
Old 10-29-2011   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The numbers say different.

Numbers are rank for sacks allowed/qb hits allowed.
Miami 30/30
Colts. 10/24
NO. 13/2

Compared to
Raiders 2/14
Ravens. 11/23
Titans. 3/3
There is a definite difference in level of competition. One of the reasons I started this thread, was because I wanted to get other opinions before the Jaguar game. Antonio (& Watt & Jamison) should have a very good game tomorrow.

I can't wait.
Old 10-29-2011   #39
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There is a definite difference in level of competition. One of the reasons I started this thread, was because I wanted to get other opinions before the Jaguar game. Antonio (& Watt & Jamison) should have a very good game tomorrow.

I can't wait.
I'm thinking the same.
Old 10-29-2011   #40
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I can't wait.
It'll certainly be interesting to see just what we've got against some lesser opposition on the line.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read