Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Manning had surgery Today

Gary said on 610

Manning has surgery, out at least four weeks
By Nick Scurfield

Posted 11 minutes ago

aaTexans safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said.
Texans free safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg Monday morning.

Coach Gary Kubiak said that Manning’s injury was to his fibula. He was injured on Sunday at Tennessee while making a leaping interception in the second quarter and left LP Field on crutches.

“What’ll take place is we’ll start the rehab process,” Kubiak said. “We think there’s an opportunity for him to come back this year.

“We’re definitely talking about somewhere four weeks and beyond, whatever that’s going to be. We’d love to wait on Danieal. We’d love to get him back before this season’s over.”

Third-year free safety Troy Nolan moves into the starting lineup with Manning out. Kubiak said Nolan played about 30 snaps against the Titans without any mental mistakes.

Last edited by srrono; 10-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #2
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 41913 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manning had surgery Today

He's gonna retire...

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
He's gonna retire...
Daniel Manning, I assume by the thread's location.

4-10 weeks is what I'm hearing.

Speedy recovery D Manning
Old 10-24-2011   #4
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 41913 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Daniel Manning, I assume by the thread's location.

4-10 weeks is what I'm hearing.

Speedy recovery D Manning
Ahhh...didn't catch that.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't able to really see much of the game. What happened on the play? I heard he fractured his leg?

I like how the back half of our schedule looks right now. We've got the hardest games out of the way and the remaining all look winnable. There's no "easy" games in the NFL... but I would put us as favorites in each one.

5/9 are at home.
The 'toughest' ones are at home.
We have a bye week to rest.

Best wishes to Manning for a speedy recovery. I hope he makes it back to form by the end of the season to help us in the playoffs!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quin and Nolan (at Safety) I would assume?

I wouldn't mind bringing in a guy like Roy Williams JUST to add as insurance and to use as a mentor to Quin and Nolan. If we make it to playoffs, we need the mentoring for all these weeks leading up to the playoff games.

Safe to say that the additions of Joseph and Manning, along with Wade Phillips at d-coord, has made a world of difference. I was watching the Titans sideline Sunday...saw Frank Bush yelling out instructions to the Titans defenders on the field, and I shuddered a little bit. Yikes. We're improved on many levels.
Old 10-24-2011   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully we won't need him or AJ for the next 5 weeks or so and can give them both extra rest. No reason to trot Manning out there early when the Titans fall apart and the Texans can win the division with a 9-7 record.
Old 10-24-2011   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Awful. He's been awesome and a big reason why this defense is turning around. Hopefully they can take another big hit in stride and keep up the pace. Let him get the time to get healthy, he'll be back for a push at the end and into the playoffs. Playoffs?

I can dream.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
Ahhh...didn't catch that.
Ha!! I thought you were just being snarky! LOL!
Old 10-24-2011   #10
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Gary also said they want to look at Brandon Harris to play some safety. Also, (obviously) Nolan's the starter.
Old 10-24-2011   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Hopefully we won't need him or AJ for the next 5 weeks or so and can give them both extra rest. No reason to trot Manning out there early when the Titans fall apart and the Texans can win the division with a 9-7 record.
I like the foreshadowing in bold. And I hate to get ahead of myself here.......talking about playoffs this early. But if we do make the playoffs, I want the Texans to do all they can for the highest seed so we can have a home game.

However I agree about not bringing them back until they are fully healthy.
Old 10-24-2011   #12
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Manning has surgery, out at least four weeks
By Nick Scurfield

Posted 11 minutes ago

aaTexans safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said.
Texans free safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg Monday morning.

Coach Gary Kubiak said that Manning’s injury was to his fibula. He was injured on Sunday at Tennessee while making a leaping interception in the second quarter and left LP Field on crutches.

“What’ll take place is we’ll start the rehab process,” Kubiak said. “We think there’s an opportunity for him to come back this year.

“We’re definitely talking about somewhere four weeks and beyond, whatever that’s going to be. We’d love to wait on Danieal. We’d love to get him back before this season’s over.”

Third-year free safety Troy Nolan moves into the starting lineup with Manning out. Kubiak said Nolan played about 30 snaps against the Titans without any mental mistakes.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #13
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As already mentioned the schedule looks pretty nice from here on out.

Let's hope Quin can step up and wasn't needing too much on-the-field mentoring from Manning, time to see what he's made of.

It's also Nolan's chance to sink or swim, he's been hit and miss in his opportunities throughout his career, with highlight reel plays offset by some really poor coverage at times, lets see what he's got.

I'm a little worried about Keo needing to play rotational snaps now and am concerned about his readyness to play that much.

I'm wondering if this is Kareem Jackson's time to move to safety, he hasn't impressed this season, and got benched in the last game. Jason Allen has shown himself to be our second best safety while McCain is doing the job in the slot. With Harris and Charmichael yet to see the field in a significant manner its hard to see how Jackson can hold down a spot at corner and maybe a move is his last hope.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Only long-time posters on here would know how to read that last bit there.

It's like hearing your wife say to you "No, your breath doesn't smell bad. I mean, it smells a little...but it's not bad." You still don't know if you're good to go, or what, and you sort of talk to people from a distance juuuuust in case.

Wade Phillips is that little last piece of minty gum that you chew, because you had to split it with your wife and kids since it was the last piece in the car. But you think "Geez, I think my breath stills smells. I hope that 1/4th piece of gum masks it enough. And what if I popped into my mouth too early?"

What will our breath smell like at the end of the season? Fresh and minty, or a bit smelly, or severe halitosis? That's the big question. LOL.
Old 10-24-2011   #15
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Godspeed.
Old 10-24-2011   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

This was a response that I made in an old thread when the question came up after "fibula" was named in the Texans injury report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
What is DM's "fibula" injury?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The least injury that I can think of to the fibula is a bone bruise, which can lead to generalized pain in the area. Still this injury usually is rested for a week or so. X-rays and bone scans do not usually pick this type of injury up. MRI will demonstrate bone marrow swelling to make the diagnosis. The thing you worry about is a stress fracture which may manifest initially with the same presentation but may not be able to be visualized on x-ray or bone scan for 10 days or so. If repeat exams are performed then, if present, a stress fracture can identified. An MRI will show the same marrow swelling as seen in a bone bruise, and possibly pick the fracture site up initially........but it also can in some cases miss the early stress fracture. It should readily identify it later. Clinically, if the pain later pin-point localizes to a spot on the fibula, an underlying stress fracture is likely present. A stress fracture can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks to recover, depending on the severity and progress.

Hopefully, "fibula" on the Injury Report refers to a "bone bruise."
Obviously, my concern was one of Manning having a stress fracture at the time.

It seems that, either the diagnosis of stress fracture wasn't made or wasn't given enough time to be made or they let him try to play and hoped that he would hold up without the fracture extending. Either way, things didn't work out very well and he has had surgery.

For elite athletes, metal hardware support of the fracture site is sometimes entertained prophylactically, especially if the cortical (outer surface layer) bone disruption is significant and there is fear of subsequent bone segment displacement. Hardware and electro-growth stimulation of the bone and injection of growth factors into the fracture site will be probably be used together to bring about more predictable and faster healing. You do worry about the increased risks of infection and other problems associated with the placement of metal hardware. The serial MRIs will tell the story of how the fracture is healing and if Manning will even be given the opportunity to return to play at the very tail end of the season.

Here is a (bloodless) video of a surgery somewhat similar to what Manning probably underwent. VIDEO
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #17
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I was wondering how he broke a bone simply by going up to catch a football. Thanks...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I was wondering how he broke a bone simply by going up to catch a football. Thanks...

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...itans-photos-1
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #19
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

we cant catch a break on the injury bug.

need to bring someone else in

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
we cant catch a break on the injury bug.

need to bring someone else in

TJ
If Gary had not let Manning play as C-N-D suggested and had another MRI done, Manning would probably be be healthy and playing after the Jags game. So it's not all luck.

But no, Gary had to rush Manning out there. God I hope Gary learned his lesson and doesn't rush AJ back.

Thanks for the video C-N-D. It made my shin/ankle twitch. LOL

Looks painful
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read