Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2011   #1
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default #5 offense in PPG, #5 defense in PPG

Other stats to note:

Offense:
#8 in 3rd down %
Last in 4th down conversion %, tied for 6th in league for 4th down attempts
#6 in passing yards per game, Matt Schaub 5th highest rated passer
Tied giving up 12th fewest sacks.
#4 in rushing yards per game, #1 in rushing attempts

Defense:
#2 in AFC in Give/take
11th best in rushing yards per game
18th "best" in YPC
5th best in passing YPA
Tied 7th for interceptions
4th for sacks
4th for completion %
4th best third down D

Just need to pull out the games and continue to win the games and not just be stat champions. On a positive note, we did this against the toughest stretch of our schedule.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/
Old 10-24-2011   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: #5 offense in PPG, #5 defense in PPG

Damn. Those are the kinds of numbers you see from teams that go deep in the playoffs.

I expected Wade to do well, but I honestly didn't expect this kind of success so quickly. Well done, Coach Phillips!

Gary, better keep your boys on the offense on track.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #3
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
Other stats to note:

Offense:
#8 in 3rd down %
Last in 4th down conversion %, tied for 6th in league for 4th down attempts
#6 in passing yards per game, Matt Schaub 5th highest rated passer
Tied giving up 12th fewest sacks.
#4 in rushing yards per game, #1 in rushing attempts

Defense:
#2 in AFC in Give/take
11th best in rushing yards per game
18th "best" in YPC
5th best in passing YPA
Tied 7th for interceptions
4th for sacks
4th for completion %
4th best third down D

Just need to pull out the games and continue to win the games and not just be stat champions. On a positive note, we did this against the toughest stretch of our schedule.http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/

Wait a second....are you telling me that we may have ourselves a possible playoff caliber team here?????

#slowlypouringglassoftexanskoolaid

Old 10-24-2011   #4
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

I like those stats, but I think they're inflated because we played two crappy teams with no offense/defense, Colts and Titans. The rest were tough games tho, Saints, Steelers, Raiders, and Ravens. Hopefully it'll stay that way, or maybe get better. We haven't been playing like a top 5 offense IMO.
Old 10-24-2011   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
I like those stats, but I think they're inflated because we played two crappy teams with no offense/defense, Colts and Titans. The rest were tough games tho, Saints, Steelers, Raiders, and Ravens. Hopefully it'll stay that way, or maybe get better. We haven't been playing like a top 5 offense IMO.
The Texans have faced two top 10 offenses and two bottom 10 offenses. The other three were #12, #13 and #20. Doesn't look skewed at all.

A stat which is a very distinct difference is QB rating allowed. Instead of making backups look like heroes right now the Texans are #3 in the league at 71.4. Last season they were #32 at 100.3.
Old 10-24-2011   #6
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
You play who you are scheduled to play, I am sure the other teams at the top of defense stats didnt play the Saints 7 times.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #7
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The Texans have faced two top 10 offenses and two bottom 10 offenses. The other three were #12, #13 and #20. Doesn't look skewed at all.

A stat which is a very distinct difference is QB rating allowed. Instead of making backups look like heroes right now the Texans are #3 in the league at 71.4. Last season they were #32 at 100.3.
I meant our offense mostly. I think they're skewed because we dominated the Colts and Titans, but I agree, we play whoever we are scheduled to play. IMO our offense hasn't been playing like a top offense.

But I love our defense, and IMO they aren't inflated. They're the reason why we've won the games we have and why our games are close.
Old 10-24-2011   #8
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Stats are for losers, I want wins.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Stats are for losers, I want wins.
& we've got more of those than not...

enjoy the ride, it's all down hill from here.

Go ahead Matrix, kick the ball.... I swear she won't pull it away this time.
Old 10-24-2011   #10
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Suppose I should have put a sarc tag there somewhere.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #11
conundrum
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 conundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't San diego first in overall defense and overall offense last year? I don't think they had a playoff run to go with those nice stats.

I gotta say I love the way the defense has been playing and you can really tell the improvement with those nice looking defensive stats.
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #12
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
Wasn't San diego first in overall defense and overall offense last year? I don't think they had a playoff run to go with those nice stats.
The Chargers were 2nd in offense and 10th in defense.

But hey, Chargers fans will tell you it only takes one Norv Turner to ruin your whole day.
Old 10-24-2011   #13
Naiirb
All Pro

Rep Power: 2725 Naiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post

But hey, Chargers fans will tell you it only takes one Norv Turner to ruin your whole day.
Where are you getting those stats from? They were 1st in overall offense and defense.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?season...=REG&Submit=Go
Naiirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Damn. Those are the kinds of numbers you see from teams that go deep in the playoffs.

I expected Wade to do well, but I honestly didn't expect this kind of success so quickly. Well done, Coach Phillips!

Gary, better keep your boys on the offense on track.
Imagine what he could do with A NT and a CB2?
Old 10-24-2011   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They were first in both categories for a significant part of the season. They started s-t-r-o-n-g albeit they struggled to pull off wins.
Old 10-24-2011   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank G*D the OP is a long time poster... That way if I try to kid with them, I won't get a negative "rep" from scooter.
Old 10-24-2011   #17
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiirb View Post
Where are you getting those stats from? They were 1st in overall offense and defense.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?season...=REG&Submit=Go
Quite right. I stand corrected. The rankings I mentioned were for Points For and Points Against.
Old 10-25-2011   #18
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody bust out the first half point-differential stats!
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum View Post

I gotta say I love the way the defense has been playing and you can really tell the improvement with those nice looking defensive stats.
This particular thread is about ppg (points per game) where the Texans are 5th both offensively & defensively.

The Chargers were 10th in defensive ppg allowing 20.1 ppg. Offensively they were 2nd with 27.6 ppg. Those stats can be found at the same place you linked to, but you have to click on the ppg column. Defensively click on the column twice so it is put in ascending order.

Good point regardless.
Old 10-25-2011   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This particular thread is about ppg (points per game) where the Texans are 5th both offensively & defensively.

The Chargers were 10th in defensive ppg allowing 20.1 ppg. Offensively they were 2nd with 27.6 ppg. Those stats can be found at the same place you linked to, but you have to click on the ppg column. Defensively click on the column twice so it is put in ascending order.

Good point regardless.
The Chargers were also a special teams disaster. I remember seeing Norv blow his top and screaming at Kris Brown after a kickoff. It was pathetic and a sure sign they had no solution on special teams while Kading was down. Additionally, the loss of Sproles impacted the Chargers so much more than they could have ever imagined on special teams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read