Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2011   #41
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Not good enough!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I didnt much like him running backwards on that one return either ... Jones has a tendancy to do that as well. Make positive yards please!!.
That seriously made me mad - you're on the roster for ONE reason and you're running backwards?!?!?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #42
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Not good enough!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
This too, what a downgrade from Leach or Casey.
Did you miss the part where Vickers sealed off the defender at the goal line that helped spring a TD for us from just a yard or so out? He ran in there and put his helmet on a guy, drove the defender backwards and sideways away from our ball carrier, assisting very well (just like Casey or Leach would have done).

People wondered why we went and got Vickers since Casey played so well the first several games. Then Casey gets hurt, and THAT is why we grabbed Vickers in free agency.

He's not Superman. Duh. But he's competent and has passion, and helped Peyton Hillis and several other Browns RBs before the arrival of Hillis.

The Vickers argument is weird. He wasn't put into the games until Casey got hurt, so it's obvious that the coaches are playing the better FB if the better FB is healthy and available. Vickers is quality depth, IMO. Who else would have been able to go at FB if/when casey got/gets hurt? Not challenging you, per se, just saying it out loud during the course of this discussion here.
Old 10-24-2011   #43
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

My only concern: KAREEM JACKSON. Period.

He should be benched from starting, and MAYBE allowed on the field as a nickel back. Otherwise, he becomes depth and Jason Allen takes CB2 from him.

I don't know why there's this continued Man Love for Kareem Jackson. In the NFL, you either have it or you don't. And guys who don't have it? They battle it out for either being depth or being the CB2 or the WR3 or TE2, etc. Kareem has had the chances. I don't care if he had bad coaching last year. They ALL did.

Jason Allen is not awesome, but he is a 7-year veteran or something along those lines. He's been in the league 7 years or so. He's faced more WRs than Kareem has, played against more different offenses and QBs than Kareem has, and that sort of thing is what MIGHT make Kareem a Jason Allen type CB2 in the future if Kareem hangs on in the NFL for the next 5 years.

Right now, Kareem is a HUGE liability in the passing game. If anybody here thinks that opposing o-coordinators are NOT scheming how to get matchups against #25, you need to buy ocean-front property in Arizona.

I saw he was out of the lineup for awhile after getting shell-shocked a bit out there, which is nice to see Wade pulling the guy even if he didn't really blow anything major out there at the time. However, you have to wonder "If this is the year we make playoffs, do we risk trying to give Kareem MORE leash than he should get?"

Make him sit and watch. Make him yearn to play out there. If Jason Allen goes down, let KJ try to say "I'll show them. I'll show EVERYBODY!"

Until then, the KJ experiment looks forced and cliche: "Hey everybody, here's our prized 1st rounder who isn't panning out...but we will MAKE him pan out for us! Or, you can have him for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Any takers? But seriously, he's not too shabby."
Old 10-24-2011   #44
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I don't know why there's this continued Man Love for Kareem Jackson. In the NFL, you either have it or you don't.
I personally don't have any doubt that it stems from Kubiak's unwillingness to admit that he and the Texans brain trust failed when they picked him.

Somehow he doesn't realize he's only making the fanbase more aware of the failed pick by continuing to showcase him.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I personally don't have any doubt that it stems from Kubiak's unwillingness to admit that he and the Texans brain trust failed when they picked him.

Somehow he doesn't realize he's only making the fanbase more aware of the failed pick by continuing to showcase him.
I love how everything good on the D is to Wade's credit but if there is something claimed bad it is Kubiak's fault. We have no reason to believe Kubiak is telling Wade to play KJ.
Old 10-24-2011   #46
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I love how everything good on the D is to Wade's credit but if there is something claimed bad it is Kubiak's fault. We have no reason to believe Kubiak is telling Wade to play KJ.
Hey, I'm frequently wrong. What you get on this board from me is little more than my personal opinion.
Old 10-24-2011   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Pass Rush needs to be MUCH better. I know we are missing Mario but we're going to have to get someone else in on the action, maybe try Watt more outside? I dunno, but with that pass rush from yesterday we aren't going to beat the good teams.
Good point.

We should always expect our guys to do more. However, what would you say if I told you the Ravens did not register a sack against the Titans?

Also, right now, only three teams have more sacks (21) than the Texans (19)
Old 10-24-2011   #48
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So let's say you're the coach. What would you be "upset" about?
Nobody punched Finnegan in the face!

Other than that, pretty good game.
Old 10-24-2011   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey, I'm frequently wrong. What you get on this board from me is little more than my personal opinion.
Not even saying you are wrong. Just an observation of the MB. If people are impressed with JJ. Watt or Reed they tend to ascribe it to control of the D and the draft being handed to Wade. If they don't like something whether it be CB cushions or KJ's playing time they tend to ascribe it to Kubiak. Bottom line is in very few instances do we know who is making the call.
Old 10-24-2011   #50
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Shiloh Keo.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #51
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:

I think all NFL teams do it. It's human nature, I suppose--You don't want to tell your fans that you screwed up on a 1st rounder. Too much pressure.
Old 10-24-2011   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think all NFL teams do it. It's human nature, I suppose--You don't want to tell your fans that you screwed up on a 1st rounder. Too much pressure.
They've got McCain, playing ahead of Harris.

Nolan ahead of Keo

Brooks Reed was situational until Mario got hurt...

I know they aren't first rounders, but if Harris can't beat McCain out for playing time, I don't think draft position has as much to do with their decision as you may think.

The alternative is to start Allen... while I agree his play-making ability seems to be a notch above Kjs, but his lack of confidence & physicality imo isn't an even trade. Had he made those Ints in a game he didn't give up a TD... maybe I can see it, but if we're talking a net sum of zero, I'd rather have Kj out there.

Am I wrong, has Kj given up more than 1 TD this year? That TD to Lance Moore in Nawl'ns? He's given up 1 TD & forced 1 fumble.

Allen has given up 2 TDs (Brandon Marshall & Heyward Bay) and 2 Ints... one was eventually turned into a TD, and another sealed the game.... had one of those been a pic6 maybe that would change my mind, but right now, I'm not seeing it.
Old 10-24-2011   #53
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not even saying you are wrong. Just an observation of the MB. If people are impressed with JJ. Watt or Reed they tend to ascribe it to control of the D and the draft being handed to Wade. If they don't like something whether it be CB cushions or KJ's playing time they tend to ascribe it to Kubiak. Bottom line is in very few instances do we know who is making the call.
Agreed. And that's often frustrating because you want to know who deserves the credit or the blame.

In Kareem's case, it's conceivable that Wade is sensitive to the position he would be putting Kubiak in if he simply benched Kareem early on in his second year. Even if the decision was 100% his, Wade would have to know that by benching Kareem he would essentially be telling the world that the pick (Kubiak's pick) was a blunder.
Old 10-24-2011   #54
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Right. It's human nature and not a personal flaw suffered only by Kubiak. We've seen this kind of thing a number of times on a number of different teams over the years. A high pick who sucks or is outplayed by someone on the bench plays anyway because the folks who picked him don't want to admit they had a lapse in judgment.
Old 10-24-2011   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
In Kareem's case, it's conceivable that Wade is sensitive to the position he would be putting Kubiak in if he simply benched Kareem early on in his second year. Even if the decision was 100% his, Wade would have to know that by benching Kareem he would essentially be telling the world that the pick (Kubiak's pick) was a blunder.
What position do they put themselves in by starting McCain over Brandon Harris at nickel?

If they signed another FA CB, do you think they would have had a problem starting him over Kj, I don't. If Allen were truly better, I don't think they would have had a problem starting Allen & bringing Kj in at the nickel, there is no shame in that at all.
Old 10-24-2011   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Right. It's human nature and not a personal flaw suffered only by Kubiak. We've seen this kind of thing a number of times on a number of different teams over the years. A high pick who sucks or is outplayed by someone on the bench plays anyway because the folks who picked him don't want to admit they had a lapse in judgment.
When have we seen this? When (I can't remember his name) was obviously better than TJ & Okoye? DelJuan Robinson?

Where is he at now?

TJ managed to stick with the Chargers for 2 years, Okoye is still with the Bears. Where is DelJuan? What did he do after he left?
Old 10-24-2011   #57
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What position do they put themselves in by starting McCain over Brandon Harris at nickel?
Harris was a late second round pick who doesn't make nearly the kind of money Kareem makes---the kind of money you would expect to be paying a starter, not a reserve.
Old 10-24-2011   #58
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Nobody punched Finnegan in the face!

Other than that, pretty good game.
This...

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Harris was a late second round pick who doesn't make nearly the kind of money Kareem makes---the kind of money you would expect to be paying a starter, not a reserve.
We picked Kareem at 20, it's nothing like top 10 money. It's probably a marginal investment over Harris' pay.

Well, I have no idea how much they make, but winning has got to be the driving factor today, Kubiak is not that dense.
Old 10-24-2011   #60
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We picked Kareem at 20, it's nothing like top 10 money. It's probably a marginal investment over Harris' pay.
Don't kid yourself. The difference is dramatic. Especially since this year saw the changes in the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read