Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Not good enough!!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm sure you've heard about coaches that would tear into their team after a win. You'd have thought they lost the game. Supposedly this builds character & prevents the team from being satisfied with anything but perfection.

Like Parcells says, "Don't let good enough be good enough."

So let's say you're the coach. What would you be "upset" about?

I'm sure you've heard about coaches that would tear into their team after a win. You'd have thought they lost the game. Supposedly this builds character & prevents the team from being satisfied with anything but perfection.

Is this a trick to get me negative repped by Matrix?

Our return game..... We need to figure out a way to get the opposing kickers to not kick it through the end zone. I mean seriously, what's up with that? Its only fair they give us a chance right?

Nothing. It was as perfect as apple trees and honey bees and snow white turtle doves.

There. Is that better?

Is this a trick to get me negative repped by Matrix?

Hahaha. That was pretty good.

....a few things to be concerned about. Nothing to truly "rip" players for. We got into a bit of a pattern of encroachments. A little undisciplined play. Have to shore that up.

Schaub sailed some passes, but that's definitely on him. I'm sure the coaches have told his ass to settle down a bit.

Have to close out pressure a bit better. We rushed nicely but didn't always "get to" Hasselbeck. He's a smart QB though, gets rid of the ball relatively quickly. Gotta get better in that regard.

Kareem Jackson needs to be benched for good. I really don't know what to do with him. Keo was also pretty bad, despite that hit. McCain was also bad, despite the INT.

Return game could definitely be better. Don't know what our average field position has been so far but I assume it can be better. Not worse than last year though, which is good at least.

I guess it's just mainly secondary to worry about. Luckily we face Gabbert and McCoy the next couple of games, and neither them are very good at all.

Hahaha. That was pretty good.

....a few things to be concerned about. Nothing to truly "rip" players for. We got into a bit of a pattern of encroachments. A little undisciplined play. Have to shore that up.

Schaub sailed some passes, but that's definitely on him. I'm sure the coaches have told his ass to settle down a bit.

Have to close out pressure a bit better. We rushed nicely but didn't always "get to" Hasselbeck. He's a smart QB though, gets rid of the ball relatively quickly. Gotta get better in that regard.

Kareem Jackson needs to be benched for good. I really don't know what to do with him. Keo was also pretty bad, despite that hit. McCain was also bad, despite the INT.

I guess it's just mainly secondary to worry about. Luckily we face Gabbert and McCoy the next couple of games, and neither them are very good at all.

That's it. I'm downdinging your ass.

:kitten:

Maybe the only thing I wasn't pleased with (once the initial series jitters went away) was that a couple of times late in the game Foster & Tate both needed to just turn it up field and punch it through. Instead they both got strung along to the sideline and either lost yardage or barely got back to the line of scrimmage. This was like two, maybe three plays at the most and I only noticed it because it stood out so glaringly amidst all the success we were having. I thought "Harris needs to pull Tate aside after that run and say "Stop dancing around and turn it up-field. You're not a dancer, you're a hammer!".

But it was trivial really. 2-3 plays out of the entire day.

I think that was time management coaching and conservative play calling and not so much Tate/Foster/Ward purposefully running to the sides. Especially since we were gashing the center of their line all game.

Maybe the only thing I wasn't pleased with (once the initial series jitters went away) was that a couple of times late in the game Foster & Tate both needed to just turn it up field and punch it through. Instead they both got strung along to the sideline and either lost yardage or barely got back to the line of scrimmage. This was like two, maybe three plays at the most and I only noticed it because it stood out so glaringly amidst all the success we were having. I thought "Harris needs to pull Tate aside after that run and say "Stop dancing around and turn it up-field. You're not a dancer, you're a hammer!".

But it was trivial really. 2-3 plays out of the entire day.

One of those plays was a 4th and 1. Foster kept stringing the play out to the sideline and he had any number of chances to just cut up field for a single yard and wound up getting stuffed behind the line.

Almost seemed like a case of being overconfident and not just taking the sure thing.

Kareem Jackson needs to be benched for good.

Agreed!!!!

Also, the only thing I would bring up is letting that garbage TD happen when it was 4th and Goal for Possum Hollar from whatever yard line. Want to say it was near the 10.

Would love to have had the shut out.

The only complaint I have is we didn't really get to see Holliday do anything. But, at least he always cought the ball. Unlike that other guy. LOL

Quit getting hurt ?! please ?!!!! :user:

I think if anything , I'd be bitching about the penalties early in the game .... two three and outs to start the game. After that .... it was all peaches and cream.

The only complaint I have is we didn't really get to see Holliday do anything. But, at least he always cought the ball. Unlike that other guy. LOL

He made good decisions for the most part .... tho he did let one bounce I thought he should have fair caught that went out of bounds at the 5.

I didnt much like him running backwards on that one return either ... Jones has a tendancy to do that as well. Make positive yards please!!.

Too many penalties!!

Agreed!!!!

Also, the only thing I would bring up is letting that garbage TD happen when it was 4th and Goal for Possum Hollar from whatever yard line. Want to say it was near the 10.

Yeah, that pis*ed me of too, lol. It was on 4th and 6, and that made it a lot worse for me. I wanted the shutout BAD!

Our DB's need serious upgrading, except for JoJo and Manning, we need all new players.

From starters to backup we could use a minimum of 4 new guys back there.

One of those plays was a 4th and 1. Foster kept stringing the play out to the sideline and he had any number of chances to just cut up field for a single yard and wound up getting stuffed behind the line.

Almost seemed like a case of being overconfident and not just taking the sure thing.

I thought that too. It's like they had so much success that on the rare occasions when there wasn't much there neither one of them seemed to want to accept it and just take what was available.

He made good decisions for the most part .... tho he did let one bounce I thought he should have fair caught that went out of bounds at the 5.

I didnt much like him running backwards on that one return either ... Jones has a tendancy to do that as well. Make positive yards please!!.

My criticism was going to be punt return coverage. The Titans punted I believe 7 times, and I'm pretty sure Holliday only tried to return one (or was that one on a kickoff?). Every time he would catch the ball a Titan would be there waiting to hug him. On 7 tries, that just isn't acceptable.

I'd like to point out that

1) we did not score on every offensive possession -- UNACCEPTABLE.
2) we did not totally shut them out and even allowed a few first downs -- UNACCEPTABLE
3) we had two attempts at a first down from short yardage and we did not convert -- UNACCEPTABLE

Just sayin.

I'd like to point out that

1) we did not score on every offensive possession -- UNACCEPTABLE.
2) we did not totally shut them out and even allowed a few first downs -- UNACCEPTABLE
3) we had two attempts at a first down from short yardage and we did not convert -- UNACCEPTABLE

Just sayin.

Definitely one of the things we need to work on, is our 4th down offense. Sooner or later, we're going to need to make those to win. If we can't do it against a team we're drubbing, we're not going to be able to do it against a play-off team.

Especially while the outcome was still in doubt (which granted, didn't go much past halftime), there wasn't nearly as much pressure on Hasselbeck as they've been putting on most QB's so far this season.

That's not gonna cut it if that happens too many more times.

Agreed!!!!

Yeah, that pis*ed me of too, lol. It was on 4th and 6, and that made it a lot worse for me. I wanted the shutout BAD!

That one is on the coaches...Keo had no business out there.

I'd scream at all the injured players that they aren't healing fast enough. :kitten:
ssmalley.jpg

That will not foster a healing environment!​

My criticism was going to be punt return coverage. The Titans punted I believe 7 times, and I'm pretty sure Holliday only tried to return one (or was that one on a kickoff?). Every time he would catch the ball a Titan would be there waiting to hug him. On 7 tries, that just isn't acceptable.

Their punter did a real good job of hanging them up high giving the coverage team time to get down there .... Sometimes you just gotta credit the other guy.

The one return attempt was of a punt .... I believe the last one of the day.

Their punter did a real good job of hanging them up high giving the coverage team time to get down there .... Sometimes you just gotta credit the other guy.

The one return attempt was of a punt .... I believe the last one of the day.

Doesn't it bother you that every time we return a punt, there's always a flag for a "block in the back?" And if we don't get a flag, there's absolutely no blocking.

I thought it was all a bad play call.

Seldom (I almost want to say never), do the Texans run off-guard on 4th & 1, unless you call a QB sneak. The ZBS is great and hard to defend in our system, but when it's time to just line up and punch it in, it can be a little weak.

If the team knows you're going to run on them (and they did), then that's when you put Ben Tate in the game and have him slam it in off-guard, instead of waiting for a big hole to open up along the line, when all you needed was a crease.

If Vickers didn't suck so bad I would have applauded the Vickers carry - because at least it was in the right spirit. At least the philosophy was spot on.

Pass Rush needs to be MUCH better. I know we are missing Mario but we're going to have to get someone else in on the action, maybe try Watt more outside? I dunno, but with that pass rush from yesterday we aren't going to beat the good teams.

I thought it was all a bad play call.

You certainly have solid ground to stand on there considering the play failed.

But I saw a play that would have been successful in gaining a yard (which was all that was required) if the running back had simply taken what was available to him rather than trying to make more out of it than he needed to.

Not scoring 50 points :kitten:

Pass Rush needs to be MUCH better. I know we are missing Mario but we're going to have to get someone else in on the action, maybe try Watt more outside? I dunno, but with that pass rush from yesterday we aren't going to beat the good teams.

They are #4 in the league two sacks back from the three teams tied for 1st with 21 sacks.

You're 4-3, only have a half game lead, and 5-7 is still lurking out there somewhere. No more pajama parties and sprinkles on your ice cream you bunch of Nancy's. Get out there and play some real football you whining, sniffling bunch of jackwagons!!!

This too, what a downgrade from Leach or Casey.

Did you miss the part where Vickers sealed off the defender at the goal line that helped spring a TD for us from just a yard or so out? He ran in there and put his helmet on a guy, drove the defender backwards and sideways away from our ball carrier, assisting very well (just like Casey or Leach would have done).

People wondered why we went and got Vickers since Casey played so well the first several games. Then Casey gets hurt, and THAT is why we grabbed Vickers in free agency.

He's not Superman. Duh. But he's competent and has passion, and helped Peyton Hillis and several other Browns RBs before the arrival of Hillis.

The Vickers argument is weird. He wasn't put into the games until Casey got hurt, so it's obvious that the coaches are playing the better FB if the better FB is healthy and available. Vickers is quality depth, IMO. Who else would have been able to go at FB if/when casey got/gets hurt? Not challenging you, per se, just saying it out loud during the course of this discussion here.

My only concern: KAREEM JACKSON. Period.

He should be benched from starting, and MAYBE allowed on the field as a nickel back. Otherwise, he becomes depth and Jason Allen takes CB2 from him.

I don't know why there's this continued Man Love for Kareem Jackson. In the NFL, you either have it or you don't. And guys who don't have it? They battle it out for either being depth or being the CB2 or the WR3 or TE2, etc. Kareem has had the chances. I don't care if he had bad coaching last year. They ALL did.

Jason Allen is not awesome, but he is a 7-year veteran or something along those lines. He's been in the league 7 years or so. He's faced more WRs than Kareem has, played against more different offenses and QBs than Kareem has, and that sort of thing is what MIGHT make Kareem a Jason Allen type CB2 in the future if Kareem hangs on in the NFL for the next 5 years.

Right now, Kareem is a HUGE liability in the passing game. If anybody here thinks that opposing o-coordinators are NOT scheming how to get matchups against #25, you need to buy ocean-front property in Arizona.

I saw he was out of the lineup for awhile after getting shell-shocked a bit out there, which is nice to see Wade pulling the guy even if he didn't really blow anything major out there at the time. However, you have to wonder "If this is the year we make playoffs, do we risk trying to give Kareem MORE leash than he should get?"

Make him sit and watch. Make him yearn to play out there. If Jason Allen goes down, let KJ try to say "I'll show them. I'll show EVERYBODY!"

Until then, the KJ experiment looks forced and cliche: "Hey everybody, here's our prized 1st rounder who isn't panning out...but we will MAKE him pan out for us! Or, you can have him for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Any takers? But seriously, he's not too shabby."

I don't know why there's this continued Man Love for Kareem Jackson. In the NFL, you either have it or you don't.

I personally don't have any doubt that it stems from Kubiak's unwillingness to admit that he and the Texans brain trust failed when they picked him.

Somehow he doesn't realize he's only making the fanbase more aware of the failed pick by continuing to showcase him.

I personally don't have any doubt that it stems from Kubiak's unwillingness to admit that he and the Texans brain trust failed when they picked him.

Somehow he doesn't realize he's only making the fanbase more aware of the failed pick by continuing to showcase him.

I love how everything good on the D is to Wade's credit but if there is something claimed bad it is Kubiak's fault. We have no reason to believe Kubiak is telling Wade to play KJ.

I love how everything good on the D is to Wade's credit but if there is something claimed bad it is Kubiak's fault. We have no reason to believe Kubiak is telling Wade to play KJ.

Hey, I'm frequently wrong. What you get on this board from me is little more than my personal opinion.

Good point.

We should always expect our guys to do more. However, what would you say if I told you the Ravens did not register a sack against the Titans?

Also, right now, only three teams have more sacks (21) than the Texans (19)

Hey, I'm frequently wrong. What you get on this board from me is little more than my personal opinion.

Not even saying you are wrong. Just an observation of the MB. If people are impressed with JJ. Watt or Reed they tend to ascribe it to control of the D and the draft being handed to Wade. If they don't like something whether it be CB cushions or KJ's playing time they tend to ascribe it to Kubiak. Bottom line is in very few instances do we know who is making the call.

Back