Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2011   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Clenching the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
I understand being critical of your team is part of the game. What I am trying to say is there isn't a hole lot that you can b*tch about after yesterdays game but "Debbie Downer" will find a reason.

I am sick and tired of the excuse that we Houston fans have been part of bad losing teams so it gives us the reason to b*tch and moan no matter what and that even includes if the team is winning.

Each season is a new season. A new try at going places this team has never gone before. That for me is a reason to let last year go. Do I forget those years?? Hell no! But do I dwell on them like some of the "Debbie Downers" on here do? Hell no as well.

I have personally invested so much time and money in the team that I'm dying for a playoff run! Not to just make the playoffs but a run into the playoffs! This city is so damn negative and needs to get behind their team. Not start planning protest rallys in front of Reliant even before week 7 of the NFL season had been played.
But we're not winning. We won 1 more game than we've lost, that's not winning. Three games over .500, if we get there, let's see what it's like around here.

We can't chose who we play, the next two aren't very good, we can't do anything about that. But let's get 3 games over .500 & before we call this team "winners"
Old 10-24-2011   #42
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Bob is a superstitious person and gives a speech before EVERY game about the time is NOW
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #43
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
10-6 in this crappy division will make it a certainty, and we can go out first round of the playoffs just like KC did last year...
I don't know about that. As it stands now we would host Pittsburgh in the first round. They might want some revenge, but I think we can beat them again.

I think the wildcard pool in the AFC is:

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Buffalo, and the New York Jets. I think New England wins their division. I think only 1 team will come out of the AFC West and only 1 team will come from the AFC South.

I realize this is very early and a lot of things can and will happen. The only team in that group that I really wouldn't want to face in the 1st round is Baltimore. Still, add a healthy Andre Johnson and the game could be a little different.

A lot of football to play.
Old 10-24-2011   #44
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Nah, I heard/read too many "where did you think we'd be at week 6? I had them pegged at 3-3!" to figure that Texans fans were expecting win every week. Heck, I heard local radio hosts saying the same thing about predicting 3-3 at week 6.

And that's alright, to be honest. It would be unrealistic to expect Patriots-type results from this franchise right now.

I honestly stopped expecting anything and just flow with the season. It makes things more enjoyable for me, since I'm not setting myself up and wins like yesterday are an awesome surprise.

Life is too short to get worked up over a game that someone else plays. I just like being a fan, reacting, and interacting with other fans that are reacting, as well.
I think there is a fine line between expecting them to win each week and predicting them to win each week. I expect them to win every week. Unfortunately, we know how things go not just in Houston, but in the NFL. I thought they would be 4-3 after week 7, but going into each game I expected them to win. I don't know if it makes any sense. I expect them to run the table. There isn't a game on that list that they shouldn't win. I don't think they will, though. I think they'll lose 2 or even 3 of those. At least 1 to a team that has no business winning. Those games do happen to every team in the NFL. Think about the Ravens against the Titans this year.
Old 10-24-2011   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I don't know about that. As it stands now we would host Pittsburgh in the first round. They might want some revenge, but I think we can beat them again.
Pittsburgh --- Green Bay

One of these teams won't make the play-offs this year. My money is on Pittsburgh.

We'll probably play Buffalo or Cincinnati.
Old 10-24-2011   #46
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Nah, I heard/read too many "where did you think we'd be at week 6? I had them pegged at 3-3!" to figure that Texans fans were expecting win every week. Heck, I heard local radio hosts saying the same thing about predicting 3-3 at week 6.
Correct. Some want to argue the Texans are elite, demand national respect, and think it is acceptable to lose to any team that is "very good" or better. It isn't very consistent. Elite means beating good teams as well as bad; not hovering around .500 by beating the weak sisters in the league.
Old 10-24-2011   #47
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 18204 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
Texans didn't start 5 & 3 last year. They started out 4 & 2 and then had the bye. Came back from the bye and then loss their next 4. They didn't win their 5th until week 12.

Biggest difference between these first 4 wins and last years 4 wins. THE DEFENSE!! Last years defense gave up 416 yards and 26.5 points per game in our 1st 4 wins. This years defense has given up 246.5 yards and 9.25 points per game in our 4 wins.

Anybody could see that last years defense was going to cost us games and it did. You couldn't continue giving up over 400 yards per game and continue to win. I know right off the top of my head I could think of 2 games that they cost us. The Jets and Jags. Now I know the Jags game was just to go into overtime but they did cost us that game.

Now before people start being "Debbie Downers" and say well the wins we have are against lesser teams and we should have won those games blah blah blah. I don't want to hear it. This team is just playing the schedule that was infront of them. Injuries happen and you play whatever team any given week. Trust me I would have loved to play the Raiders yesterday with McFadden going down and Campbell being on the IR but we didn't and got beat the week we played them.

If the defense keeps this up and continues to get off the field on 3rd downs I see this team being 10-6 or 11-5 and being AFC South Champions.

You get an A for effort .. but you know where I am *ppffftt* Sorry couldn't make it yesterday, I've been sick, sick, sick. Thought an apple a day kept the doctor away? LOL
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2011   #48
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Pittsburgh --- Green Bay

One of these teams won't make the play-offs this year. My money is on Pittsburgh.

What?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #49
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Pittsburgh --- Green Bay

You lost me here.... What's Green Bay got to do with anything in the AFC?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #50
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 790 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I would say we're a second-tier team.

First Tier Teams:
Packers
Saints
Patriots
Ravens
Giants (right now they look like the class of the NFC East)
...sorry, I cannot bring myself to include the Niners on the same level as those guys just yet. They have the Giants, Ravens, & Steelers yet to play. Let me see what they do against them. Granted they smashed Tampa Bay but I think that was a trap game for TB.

Second Tier Teams (and I ranked 'em as I sees 'em):
Niners (Frank Gore is a beast and they've got Alex Smith under control)
Lions (as long as Stafford is healthy and they have Megatron)
Texans
Jets (when they're on)
Bills
Bears
Buccs
Falcons
Chargers
Tampa Bay (when Freeman is having a good game)
Cowboys (when Romo isn't screwing the pooh)

You're exactly right. We have a ways to go before we can be in the same class as the first tier guys. But the homer in me says we're on our way.
I agree that at the moment you would place us among some grouping of 2nd tier teams, but those 2 teams are not 1st tier to me by any means so far this season IMO. The Giants have been highly inconsistent and lucky to be where they are now... They struggled to beat the Cardinals... lost to the Redskins and got beat by the Seahawks at home in a terrible loss. The Ravens got beat by the Titans and Jags and their offense looks abysmal at times.. just look at the Jets game... I'd say both have had worse losses or performed at an equal level to us and should be thrown into that 2nd tier as well.. Apart from that... The Saints, Packers, and Patriots should be the only 1st tier teams.
Air Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #51
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 4027 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

I got a problem with NE being a top tier team AT THE MOMENT:

@Miami W 38-24
San Diego W 35-21
@Buffalo L 34-31
@Oakland W 31-19
NY Jets W 30-21
Dallas W 20-16

These are the teams NE has played thus far. With the exception of Buffalo and either SD or Oakland, who would you consider a playoff team? Look at the remainder of their schedule:

@Pittsburgh
NY Giants
@NY Jets
Kansas City
@Philadelphia
Indianapolis
@Washington
@Denver
Miami
Buffalo

Looks pretty easy right? NE will get to the playoffs but they will be untested. You can claim NE is 'elite' based on their past, however, I haven't seen anything out of them that makes me say they are a top tier team.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #52
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching Jville last night, I can't say I'm too confident going into this game. Especially after I realized Clint Sessions is playing with them. That jerk has a tendency to come up with a play late in games against us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #53
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Watching Jville last night, I can't say I'm too confident going into this game. Especially after I realized Clint Sessions is playing with them. That jerk has a tendency to come up with a play late in games against us.
Don't worry. We've already penciled in Jax as two Ws.
Old 10-25-2011   #54
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think there is a fine line between expecting them to win each week and predicting them to win each week. .
Before we debate semantics, perhaps we should agree to the definition of "expect": To consider likely or certain

This is not my attitude toward this perpetually mediocre franchise.

I do expect to be entertained every week. But expect a win every week? Not so much. JMO.

Quote:
I expect them to win every week.
Quote:
I thought they would be 4-3 after week 7,
The above two statements contradict each other. If you expect to win every week, then you should have thought they'd be 7-0 after week 7.

Your second statement is explicitly stating that you expected 3 losses by week 7. That undermines your first statement.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read