Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2011   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clenching the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
If the Texans can consistently play like they did yesterday, clinching is a no-brainer.

But, historically they 'let up' on lesser opponents and play down to their level. The next two home games will be revealing in that regard, as they should roll over both Jax and Cleveland.

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves and count chickens, but 6-3 would be a nice record to look at, especially because it means they've broken the 5-7 curse.
clinching is a no brainer, but what about clenching the south? I donno if that will get past my internet security features.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Location: I live in a hole, but stay close to my kind, 'cause they understand what burns in my mind...
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
clinching is a no brainer, but what about clenching the south? I donno if that will get past my internet security features.
I will clench my fists in victorious celebration when they clinch the south!
Old 10-24-2011   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
But, historically they 'let up' on lesser opponents and play down to their level. The next two home games will be revealing in that regard, as they should roll over both Jax and Cleveland.

What do you mean "let up"? do you mean we play small ball or that they play to the level of their opponent?

I think yesterday's game showed us what the Texans would have done if they just executed, the game plan was no different than every other game this year.

Playing down to their opponents, I agree...
Quote:
It took me this long to get that... Clench... Clinch.... I went to school in Port Arthur.
Quote:
I will clench my fists in victorious celebration when they clinch the south!
Actually I didn't get it 'till this post.

Old 10-24-2011   #24
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the Texans can consistently play like they did yesterday, clinching is a no-brainer.

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves and count chickens, but 6-3 would be a nice record to look at, especially because it means they've broken the 5-7 curse.
No kidding. I swear Vegas was going to start putting odds on the Texans reaching a 5-7 record...again.
Old 10-24-2011   #25
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Agreed. Listening to Mark V this morning and he is swimming drunk in the Kool-aid. He sounds like he's just seen a naked woman for the first time.

We started 5/3 last year .... and went on a 4 game losing streak.
Texans didn't start 5 & 3 last year. They started out 4 & 2 and then had the bye. Came back from the bye and then loss their next 4. They didn't win their 5th until week 12.

Biggest difference between these first 4 wins and last years 4 wins. THE DEFENSE!! Last years defense gave up 416 yards and 26.5 points per game in our 1st 4 wins. This years defense has given up 246.5 yards and 9.25 points per game in our 4 wins.

Anybody could see that last years defense was going to cost us games and it did. You couldn't continue giving up over 400 yards per game and continue to win. I know right off the top of my head I could think of 2 games that they cost us. The Jets and Jags. Now I know the Jags game was just to go into overtime but they did cost us that game.

Now before people start being "Debbie Downers" and say well the wins we have are against lesser teams and we should have won those games blah blah blah. I don't want to hear it. This team is just playing the schedule that was infront of them. Injuries happen and you play whatever team any given week. Trust me I would have loved to play the Raiders yesterday with McFadden going down and Campbell being on the IR but we didn't and got beat the week we played them.

If the defense keeps this up and continues to get off the field on 3rd downs I see this team being 10-6 or 11-5 and being AFC South Champions.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
Now before people start being "Debbie Downers" and say well the wins we have are against lesser teams and we should have won those games blah blah blah. I don't want to hear it. This team is just playing the schedule that was infront of them. Injuries happen and you play whatever team any given week. Trust me I would have loved to play the Raiders yesterday with McFadden going down and Campbell being on the IR but we didn't and got beat the week we played them.

If the defense keeps this up and continues to get off the field on 3rd downs I see this team being 10-6 or 11-5 and being AFC South Champions.
Stick your fingers in your ear then. The team should be ok regardless of what is spoken or said. I don't too many people expect (Nationally or locally) this team to not make the playoffs at this point. I wouldn't expect roses and sunshine either. Both extremes are ridiculous - The Sunshiners and the Downers both.

Being critical of your NFL team is just something that happens everywhere....just go to any forum.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
Now before people start being "Debbie Downers" and say well the wins we have are against lesser teams and we should have won those games blah blah blah. I don't want to hear it.
If they are lesser teams, then we shouldn't just beat them, we should destroy them.

Colts 34-7
Dolphins 23-13
Pittsburgh 17-10
Titans 41-7

That looks about right. Dolphins should have been worse, it could have been. Looks like it's personal against the Colts & Titans.. & it should be.

Saints 40-33
Oakland 25-20
Ravens 29-14

I think those scores are telling us what we don't want to hear. We're better than the scrubs of the NFL, but still got a long way to go.

Old 10-24-2011   #28
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Technically, the Titans could still finish 13-3, but they'd have to beat us in Houston to do it; so, we have to win 8 more games (for a total of 12), including the one in Houston against the Titans.

Currently, we are 4-3 and they are 3-3.

It's just way too early...
if we win all our divison games we will be well on our way to afc south title.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #29
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Well has long has we keep winning and they keep losing stuff will work its self out

I guess we want jaxs to lose today lol i kinda wantcthem to win tho dont what them coming up in here all mad lol
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #30
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 4027 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I want them to win games against 'elite' or 'very good' teams, I would rather they not lose to teams they should beat. I was somewhat disappointed about losing the Saints and Ravens game, but losing to the Raiders really pissed me off.

Beating teams that they should will put them in the playoffs and what they do after that is up to them.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #31
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What do you mean "let up"? do you mean we play small ball or that they play to the level of their opponent?

I think yesterday's game showed us what the Texans would have done if they just executed, the game plan was no different than every other game this year.
That is the main reason why I'm not as anti-coaching staff as some others. I look to see what the play was and analyze why it didn't work. Did someone miss a block? Did Schaub make a poor throw? Did the RB not read the blocking and miss a cutback lane? Did the other team just flat make a helluva play (sometimes that happens too)?

Quote:
It took me this long to get that... Clench... Clinch.... I went to school in Port Arthur.

Actually I didn't get it 'till this post.

hehehehehehe
please tell me you're not serious....
I mean, it was in the title
Old 10-24-2011   #32
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I think that 10 wins will be what's need to win this division. Given the nature of the other three teams, the Texans should go 5-1 or 6-0 within the division and win at least 4 games ( 2 already in pocket)against the rest of the world. I only care about the Texans racking up the 10 wins, the who they beat to get there is not important. Just get there if you can.
This. The Titans are too up and down this year I think to make it further past .500, the Jags look like a dumpster fire in the middle of nowhere, and the Colts are the Hindenburg. If the Texans can actually CAPITALIZE and win games they are supposed to, then when we hit 10 wins we should have the AFCS clinched and be getting ready for the first home playoff game since Joe ****ing Montana and the ****ing Chiefs came to town. . . brb crying my eyes out.
Old 10-24-2011   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Location: I live in a hole, but stay close to my kind, 'cause they understand what burns in my mind...
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, just play to the level of their opponent.

The great teams come out and dominate lesser teams, and that is what I want to see from the Texans. The Jags and Browns are both garbage this year, and while I certainly understand "any given Sunday", the reality is that the Texans should dominate if they don't shoot themselves in the foot with stupid mistakes.

Quote:
Stick your fingers in your ear then. The team should be ok regardless of what is spoken or said. I don't too many people expect (Nationally or locally) this team to not make the playoffs at this point. I wouldn't expect roses and sunshine either. Both extremes are ridiculous - The Sunshiners and the Downers both.

Being critical of your NFL team is just something that happens everywhere....just go to any forum.
yep. Fans react. That's what we do. At the game, a play happens, we react. The team wins or loses, we react. That is the nature of the fan.

There is certainly an ebb and flow with each fan base. Texans fans have been conditioned to be what Texans fans are today. Lots of hopes but no fulfilled expectations. Makes a fan base jittery and on edge. Highs and lows ensue with each win and loss. We are desperate for success. This town will react to success and it will be amazing. Pent up for almost two decades.

Take a fan base like New England, and they flow different due to years of success. Their expectations are Super Bowl wins, not just playoff berth. They have been conditioned by the past decade, and their fall is that much higher when the current run ends. It's only a matter of time, but the expectations will be there to be fulfilled by the next regime. Winning tradition and all that jazz. We could use some of it around these parts.

Tom Brady said something rather innocuous last week that stuck in my brain. After the last minute win against Dallas, he said "5-1 is sure a lot nicer place to be than 4-2.". Patriot fans don't expect .500 at week 6. They expect a win every week.

Someday, that will be Texans fan...at least I hope so.
Old 10-24-2011   #34
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13798 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Technically, the Titans could still finish 13-3, but they'd have to beat us in Houston to do it; so, we have to win 8 more games (for a total of 12), including the one in Houston against the Titans.

Currently, we are 4-3 and they are 3-3.

It's just way too early...
Yeah, also I know it is VERY unlikely but if the Jags beat the Ravens tonight they are right back in it.

Very unlikely I know but consider the Jags did put up more of a fight against the Steelers than the Titans did.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #35
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they are lesser teams, then we shouldn't just beat them, we should destroy them.

Colts 34-7
Dolphins 23-13
Pittsburgh 17-10
Titans 41-7

That looks about right. Dolphins should have been worse, it could have been. Looks like it's personal against the Colts & Titans.. & it should be.
The Colts should have been worse. We had to "gimmie" TDs thanks to turnovers inside the Colts' 20 and a Jacoby TD punt return right before halftime. Then the offense went into a second half funk or Kubiak took his foot off the gas; either way we were shut out in the second half.

The Steelers' game would have been much worse too if not for penalties taking 14 defensive points off the board. That roughing-the-passer call on Watt still irritates me.
Quote:
Saints 40-33
Oakland 25-20
Ravens 29-14

I think those scores are telling us what we don't want to hear. We're better than the scrubs of the NFL, but still got a long way to go.

I would say we're a second-tier team.

First Tier Teams:
Packers
Saints
Patriots
Ravens
Giants (right now they look like the class of the NFC East)
...sorry, I cannot bring myself to include the Niners on the same level as those guys just yet. They have the Giants, Ravens, & Steelers yet to play. Let me see what they do against them. Granted they smashed Tampa Bay but I think that was a trap game for TB.

Second Tier Teams (and I ranked 'em as I sees 'em):
Niners (Frank Gore is a beast and they've got Alex Smith under control)
Lions (as long as Stafford is healthy and they have Megatron)
Texans
Jets (when they're on)
Bills
Bears
Buccs
Falcons
Chargers
Tampa Bay (when Freeman is having a good game)
Cowboys (when Romo isn't screwing the pooh)

You're exactly right. We have a ways to go before we can be in the same class as the first tier guys. But the homer in me says we're on our way.
Old 10-24-2011   #36
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
I hope not. Hopefully the Tits will be so far down the toilet you can't see them and the Texans have clinched the division already.

How awesome would it be to beat the **** out of the Tits last day of the season while they are already downtrodden and we are on our way to the playoffs!!
Exactly. And with Matt 11 at QB too.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Take a fan base like New England, and they flow different due to years of success. Their expectations are Super Bowl wins, not just playoff berth. They have been conditioned by the past decade, and their fall is that much higher when the current run ends. It's only a matter of time, but the expectations will be there to be fulfilled by the next regime. Winning tradition and all that jazz. We could use some of it around these parts.

Tom Brady said something rather innocuous last week that stuck in my brain. After the last minute win against Dallas, he said "5-1 is sure a lot nicer place to be than 4-2.". Patriot fans don't expect .500 at week 6. They expect a win every week.

Someday, that will be Texans fan...at least I hope so.
You don't think Texans fans expect to win every week? You don't think we'd love to be 6-1 right now or that there aren't any fans who truly believe we should be? There was crying & moaning & gnashing of teeth when we lost to New Orleans by 7 on the road.

I think Texans fans expect their team to win every week.

But just like New England fans, there are some level headed guys who don't freak out after one loss, or a bad game (I am not one of those guys). I guarantee there would have been a list as long as my arm about all the things that went wrong in Dallas had New England lost that game.

I doubt they would want the head coach fired, but they'd be auditioning new DC & defensive personnel.
Old 10-24-2011   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
We have a ways to go before we can be in the same class as the first tier guys. But the homer in me says we're on our way.
I think we are too & this schedule is coming at the right time. The Texans still need to dominate, work on their game, perfect their schemes, & learn to do what they do when they want to do what they have to do.

We should win every game (hyperbole) as we prepare for the play-offs.
Old 10-24-2011   #39
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
You don't think Texans fans expect to win every week?
Nah, I heard/read too many "where did you think we'd be at week 6? I had them pegged at 3-3!" to figure that Texans fans were expecting win every week. Heck, I heard local radio hosts saying the same thing about predicting 3-3 at week 6.

And that's alright, to be honest. It would be unrealistic to expect Patriots-type results from this franchise right now.

I honestly stopped expecting anything and just flow with the season. It makes things more enjoyable for me, since I'm not setting myself up and wins like yesterday are an awesome surprise.

Life is too short to get worked up over a game that someone else plays. I just like being a fan, reacting, and interacting with other fans that are reacting, as well.
Old 10-24-2011   #40
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I understand being critical of your team is part of the game. What I am trying to say is there isn't a hole lot that you can b*tch about after yesterdays game but "Debbie Downer" will find a reason.

I am sick and tired of the excuse that we Houston fans have been part of bad losing teams so it gives us the reason to b*tch and moan no matter what and that even includes if the team is winning.

Each season is a new season. A new try at going places this team has never gone before. That for me is a reason to let last year go. Do I forget those years?? Hell no! But do I dwell on them like some of the "Debbie Downers" on here do? Hell no as well.

I have personally invested so much time and money in the team that I'm dying for a playoff run! Not to just make the playoffs but a run into the playoffs! This city is so damn negative and needs to get behind their team. Not start planning protest rallys in front of Reliant even before week 7 of the NFL season had been played.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read