Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2011   #41
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
All I can say is that when Arian's out there running in space, he doesn't look like a 4.7 runner to me. Maybe he is and his agility masks his slightly slower pace, but it sure doesn't seem that way.
"It's not how fast you are, it's how fast you are when someone is chasing you".
----Marcus Allen
Old 10-24-2011   #42
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster's pro day.. Wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
----Marcus Allen
Marcus said that? I thought OJ said that. (oh no you dih-int!)
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #43
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
----Marcus Allen
What was it that Jacoby Jones said about Next Guy speed? No matter how fast the guy is next to me, I'm faster.

Arian is a lot like Terrell Davis, another 4.6+ 40 yard dash guy. He's got the vision to see the cutbacks, the maneuverability to make the cut, and enough speed to get through the line. And once he's through, he runs away from a lot of people who are supposed to be faster than he is.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #44
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, the Combine needs to add a '40 yard dash while being chased by a bloodthirsty panther' event. Or better yet, host the Combine in Spain and have all the athletes participate in a 'Running of the Bulls'. Those who get impaled don't get drafted. Could work and make the offseason much more entertaining.
While carrying 25 lbs .
Old 10-24-2011   #45
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

So do you think it would be wise to pay Arian the big bucks, considering what Chris Johnson is doing since he got the $53 million?

I'm just not buying this idea that this is just a temporary slump that he's in. I think Johnson is satisfied now, (who wouldn't be after getting $35 million guaranteed upfront?) and therefore doesn't have the hunger and the drive to be the best he could possibly be. The determination to get that big money contract supersedes anything else. Now, I'm not saying that he's playing now with a total lack of heart, and conditioning might be factor somewhat, but I think his best years are behind him, and most certainly not worth what they are paying him. And I'll bet that Titans FO wishes that would have dealt him away and gotten a pretty penny for him.

Now, look at Foster. The dude's iron is hot, and will get even hotter with the way he's performing, and if the team makes the playoffs, Foster will have a lot to do with it. And his agent is already doing cartwheels.

I know Bob McNair stated that he would pay Foster the big money if he repeated this year what he did
last year. But I got to wonder if we'll end up with another Chris Johnson.

Edit: And only on a football message board, will you find someone saying "the draft is NOT a crapshoot".
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
So do you think it would be wise to pay Arian the big bucks, considering what Chris Johnson is doing since he got the $53 million?
Arian Foster strikes me as Ricky Williams Kooky kinda funny. You pay him & there ain't no telling what he's going to do.

The difference, though, is that I think Arian feels like he is part of something here, that he is building something, which Ricky probably never got.

His first three years were injury strung after never having an injury at UT. Then In Miami, there was just so much going on at that time.
Old 10-24-2011   #47
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's a fair question. You certainly don't want to overpay at the running back position, but I'm now convinced Arian is a special player and the Texans would be foolish to let him get away.

As for Chris Johnson---I don't think it's fair to compare Arian to him. Johnson is an asshole and the Titans were idiots for not seeing it.

Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2011   #48
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

dis thred winz

Foster does a few things pretty well, 1. Makes sharp cuts 2. Doesn't lose his momentum when doing so and 3. Knows the system very well. Knows where his blockers are and where they are going. That's how he turns less than freak status athleticism into a monster. CJ looks like he didn't workout much during the lockout. So his freak athleticism isn't all there and his freak other football skills are...well...getting him about 60 yards a game or something like that. Guess he thought the lockout was real?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #49
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Arian Foster strikes me as Ricky Williams Kooky kinda funny. You pay him & there ain't no telling what he's going to do.
He reminds ME of Duane Thomas. He wasn't that good on measurables, but was slippery as an eel on the field, But he also marched to a different drummer, and was a time-bomb that eventually went off.

I dunno, man. Here we have an undrafted free agent who is getting paid squat, that even now, would command at least 2 first round draft picks, plus a player. Hmmmm.

But, if we paid him, he wouldn't be worth that.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #50
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

100 yard speed and 40 yard speed aren't the same thing....

Some guys have super fast take offs and some guys can really haul ass when they get a chance to open up.

Arian has great vision, takes great angles and his lateral agility is at an elite level.

The dude is the truth.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He reminds ME of Duane Thomas.
That is a very interesting comparison on the field.
Old 10-24-2011   #52
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm just not buying this idea that this is just a temporary slump that he's in. I think Johnson is satisfied now, (who wouldn't be after getting $35 million guaranteed upfront?) and therefore doesn't have the hunger and the drive to be the best he could possibly be. The determination to get that big money contract supersedes anything else. Now, I'm not saying that he's playing now with a total lack of heart, and conditioning might be factor somewhat, but I think his best years are behind him, and most certainly not worth what they are paying him. And I'll bet that Titans FO wishes that would have dealt him away and gotten a pretty penny for him.

Now, look at Foster. The dude's iron is hot, and will get even hotter with the way he's performing, and if the team makes the playoffs, Foster will have a lot to do with it. And his agent is already doing cartwheels.

I know Bob McNair stated that he would pay Foster the big money if he repeated this year what he did
last year. But I got to wonder if we'll end up with another Chris Johnson.

Edit: And only on a football message board, will you find someone saying "the draft is NOT a crapshoot".
Good question, and I've wondered the same thing. You know McNair will pay him, especially if his arc continues this season.

So the big question is will he be like Chris Johnson? Or, will he be like other RBs who got paid but had an inner drive to climb even higher? We can find solid examples of both, but in the end, we do not know what motivates Foster and makes him tick.

Based on that E:60 story, he's got a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. But, will he still feel that way after getting paid?

It's a legit question that only time will provide us an answer.
Old 10-24-2011   #53
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
It's a fair question. You certainly don't want to overpay at the running back position, but I'm now convinced Arian is a special player and the Texans would be foolish to let him get away.

As for Chris Johnson---I don't think it's fair to compare Arian to him. Johnson is an asshole and the Titans were idiots for not seeing it.
Can't blame the Titans too much for what they did in re-signing CJ. He had played well for three straight seasons and looked like an elite RB. Personality isn't that big of a deal, given that many NFL players are assholes.

We need to lock up Arian soon though. Ray Rice and Matt Forte also have expiring contracts this year and if they sign first, then Arian's cost will go up. Arian has proved himself so far this year and it would be much more advantageous to sign him soon and leave the franchise tag for Mario Williams or possibly Rackers or Myers.
Old 10-24-2011   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
We need to lock up Arian soon though. Ray Rice and Matt Forte also have expiring contracts this year and if they sign first, then Arian's cost will go up. Arian has proved himself so far this year and it would be much more advantageous to sign him soon and leave the franchise tag for Mario Williams or possibly Rackers or Myers.
If he has an agent worth his fee, he won't let Arian sign anything until Ray Rice & Forte get paid.
Old 10-24-2011   #55
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Ya I do now remember that he had some maturity issues and that his coaches were dogging him to the NFL coaches that came calling.

We have often bashed the Texans scouts, but I have to hand it to them for recommending this guy as a good fit in the ZBS. I remember I was pretty excited landing Foster as a UDFA and perhaps becoming a good depth back, but I don't think anyone could have predicted this - this is a guy that is arguably top 5 in the league at everything you can ask of a RB to do and those don't grow on trees.

I wonder if hindsight were 20/20 and teams would have predicted this type of production from him, where he would have been drafted in 2009?
The scouts obviously deserve credit for Foster, but at the same time they didn't think he was even worth a 7th round pick. It's the same thing with Tom Brady. On one hand you give the Patriots credit for maybe the best draft pick ever, but on the other hand they only thought he was a 6th rounder.

Also, remember that the Texans picked Ben Tate with a 2nd rounder in the following draft.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #56
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If he has an agent worth his fee, he won't let Arian sign anything until Ray Rice & Forte get paid.
Well Forte is making a statement this season, so he should be paid well. Ray Rice is having the best season of his career and ought to deserve a good chunk of change. Both will be expensive for teams, especially since Peterson re-signed for a boatload of money, but we gotta tie up our loose ends too. Forte is already clamoring for a new contract, but isn't getting anywhere with it yet. Ought to be an expensive offseason for the NFL. I just hope the salary cap goes up so we have more room to go out and buy a decent #2 WR.
Old 10-24-2011   #57
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

The one thing that will hurt Arian at the end of the year to sign for a huge # will be Ben Tate...

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #58
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
people look at the combine all wrong. It ain't a place to determine who can play (that's for the field). It's just a tool to measure measurables, meet can compare the top players. I've never seen a first down made by a measurable. I think the fans put more into this event as a decision making tool than the teams do.
don't most teams just use the combine to match up their prior scouting with official, controlled information on the players?

i actually think the combine is becoming a bit underrated in terms of importance. for instance, it's a big deal if you have, say, two guys who look similar on tape but one guy has more leg strength than the other or a body type that can pick up 10-20 pounds of bulk without losing speed and quickness. just looking at a player and noting that he had however many sacks or yards in college is useless without a reasonable physical projection that he can do it in the nfl.

Last edited by bo orlando; 10-24-2011 at 06:25 PM.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #59
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Foster's just a late bloomer who's in much better shape now than as a collegian. He looked chunkier at Tennessee, and more of a power back. Still, those 40 times had to be with bad hammy that kept Arian out of the combine. He was at least a 4.5-something back in college, and sub 4.5 now. And it should be noted that Foster received a 2nd round grade by the NFL draft advisory board after his junior year.
Old 10-24-2011   #60
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
The one thing that will hurt Arian at the end of the year to sign for a huge # will be Ben Tate...
I think you're right and I think, in the end, that could hurt the Texans---if they mistakenly feel they can move forward without him.

I mentioned this before the seaon began, after a big preseason performance by Tate.

At the time, I figured it sure was nice to have Tate since we might lose Foster.

But after seven games, with Foster sometimes playing hurt or sometimes not playing at all, I'm seeing that Foster is special, a key ingredient in the Texans success, and the Texans need to pay him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read