Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wade's D

SAMURAITEXAN

All Pro
I am impressed. We all knew Wade has been excellent DC and all but, changing scheme from 4-3 to 3-4 and adding some talents from draft and FA, we now have a very good D. Due to holdout, Wade didn't have much time to work with our players. Amazing to see how much our D improved in a such short time.

In Wade we trust!!!

Go Texans!!!

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Without Mario too.

I had all the confidence in the world.

Get this guy another piece or two for the secondary and it's all over.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
While I love the new & improved D, I'll be even more impressed if they shut down MJD next week and Peyton Hillis the following week. So far this season, CJ-no-K is just a shell of what he once was.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
While I love the new & improved D, I'll be even more impressed if they shut down MJD next week and Peyton Hillis the following week. So far this season, CJ-no-K is just a shell of what he once was.
the D has shut down ray rice, dmac (even reggie bush! :kitten: ) in the run game so i dont think it'll be a prob esp with jax on a short week and likely physical defeat v the ravens. i like our chances of making gabbert/mccoy beat us

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
the D has shut down ray rice, dmac (even reggie bush! :kitten: ) in the run game so i dont think it'll be a prob esp with jax on a short week and likely physical defeat v the ravens. i like our chances of making gabbert/mccoy beat us
better check the game stats again. R.Rice racked up 101 yds on 23 carries - that's right at 4.4 yds per. Rice basically iced the game with his 4th qtr running and set up Rickity Williams' game-clinching TD. I don't consider that being shut down.

Add to that the fact MJD has always been a thorn in our side. I hope Wade is cooking up something special to keep "pocket Hercules" in check.

TEXANRED

Texan-American
I hope Wade is cooking up something special to keep "pocket Hercules" in check.
He is, I think his name is Cushing.

I just checked NFL.com and the Texans D is ranked 7th. Usually I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to find the Texans.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I wouldn' say that just yet. I think the elbow injury is worse then what is being reported.
I think his surgically repaired achilles has more to do with his drop off in performance than that elbow. Seems to me that he can't go from sideline to sideline as effectively as he used to. IMO, he's still a tackling machine but his range isn't what it was pre-injury.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Yeah, but it's a shame Ryans doesn't fit into it.
His injury last season was known to be the type that would take a long-recovery, likely we'd be talking about a multi-season recovery period. Perhaps we should be thankful he's just back this year ? But it's probably gonna be 2012 before we can hope to see a full-recovery ?

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
I am impressed. We all knew Wade has been excellent DC and all but, changing scheme from 4-3 to 3-4 and adding some talents from draft and FA, we now have a very good D. Due to holdout, Wade didn't have much time to work with our players. Amazing to see how much our D improved in a such short time.

In Wade we trust!!!

Go Texans!!!
There has been a lot of consternation and wasted bits the last few years discussing the problems of switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. It was theorized that such a drastic change would set the team back 2-3 years. It turns out that hiring a good coach eliminates this theoretical setback and even trumps the abbreviated training camp. It seems changing away from failure works.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
better check the game stats again. R.Rice racked up 101 yds on 23 carries - that's right at 4.4 yds per. Rice basically iced the game with his 4th qtr running and set up Rickity Williams' game-clinching TD. I don't consider that being shut down.

Add to that the fact MJD has always been a thorn in our side. I hope Wade is cooking up something special to keep "pocket Hercules" in check.
Ok. But if Ray Rice is the only guy who has a decent game against your D, when they had a lead and the defense was on the field way too much, your run D is doing an OK job. Rice was at around 3.3 YPC before that last drrive. That's competant run D.

SAMURAITEXAN

All Pro
There has been a lot of consternation and wasted bits the last few years discussing the problems of switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. It was theorized that such a drastic change would set the team back 2-3 years. It turns out that hiring a good coach eliminates this theoretical setback and even trumps the abbreviated training camp. It seems changing away from failure works.
Indeed.

Go Texans!!!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wow, remember all the questions we had before the season started?

Demeco, Connor how would they come back after season ending injury

Mario, Glover, Connor, changing position.

Who is going to be our CB2?

How long will it take Danieal Manning & JJoseph to gell?

How's Cushing going to do in the middle? Why don't we leave him on the outside?

& a bunch of others I can't remember.

We're 5th in scoring defense (pts per game)

We've allowed 5 rushing TDs in 7 games. 8 passing touchdowns in 7 games. Only 6 teams allow less Ypg.... & they're still learning the system.

I never thought they'd look this good this early (our schedule doesn't hurt & it gets easier from here out).

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
i love it image what it will be like next year with a full offseason and new draft class and fa how good it will be next year

Porky

Hall of Fame
You mean hiring comeptent staff that knows what they are doing makes a difference? Gee, why didn't someone tell us that sooner?

Signed,

Bob McNair, Rick Smith, and Gary Kubiak

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yeah, but it's a shame Ryans doesn't fit into it.
I wouldn' say that just yet. I think the elbow injury is worse then what is being reported.
The elbow plus he's still recovering from the Achilles.
:koolaid:
Lots of fans look simply at the stat lines and see he doesnt have tackles .... he has other responsibilities in this scheme , they take him away from the LOS in coverage quite often.

Look at the lack of production in the passing game from the Tit's backs and TE's yesterday , much of which is the responsibility of Ryans. He might not show up in the stat sheet ..... But he's doing his job.

Everyone has their job to do .... The stark contrast is Cushing who is being asked to rush the passer and play downhill .... thus he puts up stats that suggest he's playing out of his mind (and he is).

Look at the production of the unit , not the individual in the case of Ryans.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Wow, remember all the questions we had before the season started?

Demeco, Connor how would they come back after season ending injury

Mario, Glover, Connor, changing position.

Who is going to be our CB2?

How long will it take Danieal Manning & JJoseph to gell?

How's Cushing going to do in the middle? Why don't we leave him on the outside?

& a bunch of others I can't remember.

We're 5th in scoring defense (pts per game)

We've allowed 5 rushing TDs in 7 games. 8 passing touchdowns in 7 games. Only 6 teams allow less Ypg.... & they're still learning the system.

I never thought they'd look this good this early (our schedule doesn't hurt & it gets easier from here out).
MW was getting it done before his injury ..... He looked great. I dont think there was a guy in the NFL who was more productive defensively.

Barwin was just making plays .... and still is. He wreaked havoc on the Tits yesterday.

Quin has played really well at SS ... not bad for 7 games into a new position at the NFL level.

Manning and J Jo were money from day one. Sure hope Manning makes it back quickly.

S.Cody has been better than expected in the middle of the 3-4 IMO. Probably the un-sung hero of the DL .... while the rest of them rack up big play after big play.

We still have one of your questions left un-answered , Who's CB2.

Brice McCain has been dam good as the nickle guy .....

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
i knew he got his 100 yds but i thought i read he still averaged 3.something ypc. mustve been before that big run that eventually iced the game

speedfreek

All Pro
The only problem I see with canning Gary (which, honest to God, needs to happen sometime...) would be brining in a new regime that doesn't like Wade.

Wade has been THE REASON we're now competitive again after going 6-10.

Getting rid of Gary and Wade at the same time is biting off your nose to spite your face.

TJ

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
i knew he got his 100 yds but i thought i read he still averaged 3.something ypc. mustve been before that big run that eventually iced the game
I could have sworn the stat line showed 30 carries 101 yards, for 3.3 I looked today & it's showing 23 carries.... so I don't know what happened.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The only problem I see with canning Gary (which, honest to God, needs to happen sometime...) would be brining in a new regime that doesn't like Wade.

Getting rid of Gary and Wade at the same time is biting off your nose to spite your face.

TJ
Jesus .... give it a rest. Dude has his team first in the division and they just played a whale of a game as an underdog on the road without AJ or MW .... or Manning for the second half ..... SHUT UP for a week.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Jesus .... give it a rest. Dude has his team first in the division and they just played a whale of a game as an underdog on the road without AJ or MW .... or Manning for the second half ..... SHUT UP for a week.
Shut up for a week, but there is still reason for concern. Beat Jax and Cleveland and we'll see.

Vinny

shiny happy fan

TJ
I'm a Wade fan too, but it's not like he is the only guy in the league that can coordinate a good defense. The bad judgement by Kubiak and Smith letting two noobs take control of this defense for so long is the real issue here. Kubiak's area of expertise was offense, then he handed over the defense to guys who are unproven. Really, really, really, really bad move(s).

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Shut up for a week, but there is still reason for concern. Beat Jax and Cleveland and we'll see.
Ive just heard enough negative bullshit for the past two weeks .... Yeah , they let one get away against the Raiders .... but they just played a flawless game against a division opponent for first place in the division and downright dominated them in every aspect of the game.

They are in first place in the division .... poor division or not , its still first place and a home playoff game - Just ask the Saints.

Beating the Jaq's and Browns wont do a damn thing to quiet the downers .... they beat them and people will say they were suppose to .... which they should. But hey , the Ravens should have beaten the Tits .... who embarrassed them.

I just want to enjoy a win for once ..... enough negativity.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
But the Titans aren't very good. Because we beat them, they're not very good.

Before we beat them, they were one of the best teams in the AFC though.

Vinny

shiny happy fan

Teams are still defining themselves...so yeah, the Titans are clearly inferior to us based on what we saw yesterday....no pass rush, crap wr's, over the hill qb, and a rb1 that has dead legs. We did what good teams do to inferior teams. Great win.

TexansFanatic

Extremist
The bad judgement by Kubiak and Smith letting two noobs take control of this defense for so long is the real issue here.
Totally agree.

Taking such a huge risk not once but twice can be interpreted in a number of different ways and none of them are good.

Was it hubris? Was it incompetence? Was it a lack of any real sense of urgency and the imperative need to get it right---right now---because of Bob's assurance that nobody's job was in jeopardy?

Whatever it was, the bare fact is that those were massive missteps in judgment that would have cost virtually any other head coach his job.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I don't think the Titans are any good at all, but I don't think anyone knew that, or how bad they were until yesterday.

No offense.

No defense.

No fight at all from anyone but the QB & he only seemed interested in fighting his own team.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Teams are still defining themselves...so yeah, the Titans are clearly inferior to us based on what we saw yesterday....no pass rush, crap wr's, over the hill qb, and a rb1 that has dead legs. We did what good teams do to inferior teams. Great win.
Silly me. You'd think reading around the internet the week before that they were one of the best teams in the league.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Teams are still defining themselves...so yeah, the Titans are clearly inferior to us based on what we saw yesterday....no pass rush, crap wr's and a rb1 that has dead legs. We did what good teams do to inferior teams. Great win.
If you watch the first couple possessions of each team , they looked pretty even .... then adjustments were made and the landslide started. I think Wade and Gary flat out whipped the Tits coaches just as bad as the Texans players whipped the Tits ...

I dont think the Tits are near as bad as they looked yesterday .... Hasselbeck had been playing great so far .... He had a 120+ passer rating in the red zone , 4 picks , 9 TD's and only 7 sacks thru 5 games.

Yesterday he completed less than 47% of his throws .... he had a rough day.

They beat a contender (at home) in the Ravens pretty handily. Tho their other W's were against bottom dwellers.

The Texans were superior yesterday .... but in the NFL ..... On any given Sunday ...

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Just keep him out of the endzone! Man I friggin' hate that little dance he does.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
A good question would be, which made a bigger impact on the defense? Coaching or the new players? It's not like Wade took the same players and made them a top 10 defense. We added a bunch of new, good players.

1. Upgraded Okoye with Watt
2. Upgraded Diles with Barwin
3. DeMeco is back
4. Upgraded Pollard with Quin
5. Upgraded Wilson with Manning
6. And the biggest upgrade of all was adding JoJo

I know most of you will say it's a combination of both, which I agree with. But which had the biggest influence?

dream_team

Hall of Fame

TJ
Whether you like it or not, I'm quite convinced Wade is the new HC if Kubiak does get fired.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
If you watch the first couple possessions of each team , they looked pretty even .... then adjustments were made and the landslide started. I think Wade and Gary flat out whipped the Tits coaches just as bad as the Texans players whipped the Tits ...

I dont think the Tits are near as bad as they looked yesterday .... Hasselbeck had been playing great so far .... He had a 120+ passer rating in the red zone , 4 picks , 9 TD's and only 7 sacks thru 5 games.

Yesterday he completed less than 47% of his throws .... he had a rough day.

They beat a contender (at home) in the Ravens pretty handily. Tho their other W's were against bottom dwellers.

The Texans were superior yesterday .... but in the NFL ..... On any given Sunday ...
Based on what I saw yesterday the Titans have bad wr's, good line, mediocre qb and a rb that looks disinterested. Their defense is better, but there is no dynamic edge rusher. They look like we did before we started to put pressure on teams. I think the Titans need to put in Locker and get him some experience. They play the Colts next week.....sounds like a good time to me.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
There you go.

The internet's like a good piece of fish. Enjoy it, but chew carefully so you don't choke on a bone.
Oh, I know. I'm blessed to be a part of a really, really fantastic community. Helps open my eyes to just how bad the rest of the boards, team-specific boards, comment sections and other such communication mediums are around the internet.

Awesome to have a home to go to.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Based on what I saw yesterday the Titans have bad wr's, good line, mediocre qb and a rb that looks disinterested. Their defense is better, but there is no dynamic edge rusher. They look like we did before we started to put pressure on teams. I think the Titans need to put in Locker and get him some experience. They play the Colts next week.....sounds like a good time to me.
To be honest , I think their OL sucks .... Hasselbeck avoided several sacks yesterday just by getting rid of the ball ... They cant run it either. Some of that is CJ2YPC some is the OL. The defense also forced him into many a bad throw .... His OL didnt give him much help .... and neither did the scoreboard.

Im not so sure I'd stick Locker in behind that OL .... Just look at the first play he had yesterday for a good reason not to .... a sack by Reed. He'll get mauled and .... it'll ruin him. Not that I dont want to see the Tits suck mind you.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Oh, I know. I'm blessed to be a part of a really, really fantastic community. Helps open my eyes to just how bad the rest of the boards, team-specific boards, comment sections and other such communication mediums are around the internet.

Awesome to have a home to go to.
Yeah , for the most part this place has had quality conversation over the years .... even if people agree to disagree. (at least until the recent influx of new posters , some of them just have no grip on reality)

Kthx

Rookie
I would have to say that I blame CJ for their running game more than their OL, I don't see Ringer out there sucking it up. I mean.. CJ just looks like he honestly doesn't give a ****, he sits at the line looking for a hole but when he stomps his foot on the gas hes just sitting there spinning, and he can't break a tackle to save his life. Guy god paid and he doesn't care now is my guess.

Kthx

Rookie
This sorta reminds me.. I need to make a phone call tonight. During the pre-season we were having a bbq and some beer and whatnot and I was talking about the Texans D almost looking good enough to pick up for my fantasy draft and got some **** from guy for it.

I sure have been impressed with Wade's defense. He has sold the players and they are buying into it.
How the Cowgirls did not keep him as their defensive coordinator ....I sure am glad they let him go....because now he has turned this defense around.

I just wished Mario had stayed healthy....he was really starting to produce....who knows how many sacks he would have ended up with by the end of the season...oh well.

Just think, Wade did not have a whole offseason to implement it either....just a couple of weeks. That is what I find impressive.....the amount of of time it took to implement it.

Imagine what this defense is going to be like with a whole offseason next year.....wow......this is just getting started.......:clap::perfect10::jumpbanan

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Wade can take his'n and beat your'n. Or take your'n and beat his'n.

Unless his'n are Jerrahs'n. Then all bets are off.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm pretty sure Wade is being missed right now in Dallas.
Dallas' D is having a pretty good year.. Philly is just playing out of their minds tonight.... probably has something to do with the Eagles being 2-4 (dream team), at home, & playing their hated rival Cowboys after a bye week.

But, the Cowboys problem hasn't been their defense this year.

Texn4life

All Pro
Dallas' D is having a pretty good year.. Philly is just playing out of their minds tonight.... probably has something to do with the Eagles being 2-4 (dream team), at home, & playing their hated rival Cowboys after a bye week.

But, the Cowboys problem hasn't been their defense this year.
You're right....... they have been good, BUT I'm pretty sure Rob Ryan's approach of talking trash to the players and getting then fired up before the game isn't exactly the best way to go into a big divisional game.