Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Could we be the Packers of last year?

TexansFight

Veteran
I was thinking the same thing myself. Having a healthy Tate and Foster for the first time this season made a huge difference. Getting a healthy and rested AJ for a strong playoff push sounds real good to me. The NFL is a marathon. There will be a down period like we just had. Get hot and healthy and in the playoffs is what I want more than anything

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
I was merely referencing the injury bug and trying to shed some kind of positive light on a really crappy part of the season thus far, thats all.
Wasnt referencing you really. It just seems like it's always .... When we win, it's nothing but Super Bowl talk all week ..... And when we lose, it's nothing but firing Kubiak all week.

Can't some of you just take it one game at a time for a change? (speaking rhetorically there)

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Wasnt referencing you really. It just seems like it's always .... When we win, it's nothing but Super Bowl talk all week ..... And when we lose, it's nothing but firing Kubiak all week.

Can't some of you just take it one game at a time for a change? (speaking rhetorically there)
Of course not. People here have absolutely no idea how to let things play out.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Yes we are VERY similar, we have an explosive offense, and a defense that is starting to become top 10 and we have crazy injuries AND BOTH TEAMS STARTED 3-3 and became 4-3.....just sayin.....

and this is from a guy who lives in WISCONSIN...i know what im talking about :koolaid:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I was thinking the same thing myself. Having a healthy Tate and Foster for the first time this season made a huge difference. Getting a healthy and rested AJ for a strong playoff push sounds real good to me. The NFL is a marathon. There will be a down period like we just had. Get hot and healthy and in the playoffs is what I want more than anything
16 games over 17 weeks, you wouldn't think it would be such a marathon, but it is.

Speaks to the physicality of the game.

:koolaid:

mussop

Hall of Fame
This team could absolutely win the Super Bowl. All we have to do is figure out how to face loosing teams throughout the playoffs. :clown:

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I dont know but last time we played the packere at greenbay we beat them so who knows

I think we play the nfc north next year so

PHAROAH

Rookie
No and i say this because we have a one man receiving corp. We will SHOULD make the playoffs but let the regular season play out.

The Cush

Rookie
I was merely referencing the injury bug and trying to shed some kind of positive light on a really crappy part of the season thus far, thats all.
I got what your saying. The amount of injuries have been unbelievable, guys are being taking to the locker room or carted off the field at an alarming rate. I felt bad for the Giants during the preseason when they kept losing guy after guy to season ending injuries but this team seems to be losing a starter for every game we play

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I think the lockout really did a number on conditioning. Seems like everybody's freakin' getting injured everywhere.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Uhhh................................... no.

Short answer? i don't see any close to an Aaron Rodgers type talent on this roster, & he is what makes that team roll.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Uhhh................................... no.

Short answer? i don't see any close to an Aaron Rodgers type talent on this roster, & he is what makes that team roll.
Uh, I'm pretty sure that isn't what he was saying. I think he's talking about our ability to win despite our injuries...... next man up & all that.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Uh, I'm pretty sure that isn't what he was saying. I think he's talking about our ability to win despite our injuries...... next man up & all that.

still comes back to the transcendent talent that powers that winning though...in which case we have 1 in AJ, but he's nuetralized by the person responsible for getting him the ball. Cut off the head to kill the snake & all that..

HJam72

Hall of Fame
All I know for sure is that we are not the 2010 Packers or any other team. We are the 2011 Texans....whatever that turns out to be. I don't see us winning a Superbowl this year, just like I don't agree with those who say we will barely win the worst division in the history of sports and then get our skulls cracked in to the tune of 56-0 in our first playoff game. Meh, we'll probably lose on the road to somebody really good by 7, much like the Saints game went....or we might even win one....BUT BEATING UP THE TITANS AND GOING 4-3 DOES NOT PUT US IN A SUPERBOWL. Yeah, it could happen. :koolaid:

Don't hold yer breath... :pop:

HJam72

Hall of Fame
let's like beat a winning team first. I could beat up a 5th grader, but it ain't gonna impress grown men.
Speaking of which, I still gotta go hit a ball outta one of those little league parks one day, before I get too old and can't do it again, LOL...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
let's like beat a winning team first. I could beat up a 5th grader, but it ain't gonna impress grown men.
I think it would depend on how bad you whup his ass.

If the kid had a chance... we'll start calling you Kubiak.

:kitten:

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I mean consistently. The worst teams in the league manage to beat a playoff team every year (probably because it's a good league, and nearly half the league gets to the playoffs each year. This team is clearly better than the worst teams in the league...better than the mediocre teams most likely. Better than the elite teams? Not till you start beating them. More wins vs substantial teams = less cynicism.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
The Kansas City Chiefs went to the playoffs last year with a 10-6 record and by beating only 1 playoff bound team, the 7-9 Seahawks.

The Packers on the other hand, made a wild card spot with an 10-6 record while beating 3 teams that were playoff bound, Philly, NYJ and split with the Bears.

I don't think we're the Packers, but we will benefit greatly from an easy schedule.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Here we go with overreacting the other way.
As yin and yang go, I'd much rather see this positive overreaction than the negative. :thumbup

And as reactions go, it's expected after seeing them dominate a hated division rival.

I'd like to see more of this positive overreaction in the next couple of weeks. Heck, I'll even step out and say that 6-3 should be a realistic expectation based on this team and who they are playing. How's that for an overreaction? :good:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
As yin and yang go, I'd much rather see this positive overreaction than the negative. :thumbup

And as reactions go, it's expected after seeing them dominate a hated division rival.

I'd like to see more of this positive overreaction in the next couple of weeks. Heck, I'll even step out and say that 6-3 should be a realistic expectation based on this team and who they are playing. How's that for an overreaction? :good:
I picked us to beat the Ravens. I was wrong. I also thought we'd beat the Titans, because the Texans do have these games where they play better when people are counting them out completely. It's right after they do that is when they get people excited to let them down again. Well, that's what they've done in the past any way. Looking at the schedule, you're right that it's pretty easy down the stretch, but this is usually where the Texans have had problems and have fallen short when it comes to separating themselves from the the rest of the league as an elite or as one of the good teams. Their schedule looks pretty easy from here on out, but I won't be surprised if they win another game or two and then lose another two in a row that they have in the bag or something. They should be able to win this division with ease though either way.

conundrum

Practice Squad
The packers were a wild card team that snuck into the playoffs because the giants decided to kick the ball to desean Jackson with 10 seconds left in the game.

Luckily we play the titans last game of the year and if it is that close at the end of the year we have control of our own destiny.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I picked us to beat the Ravens. I was wrong. I also thought we'd beat the Titans, because the Texans do have these games where they play better when people are counting them out completely. It's right after they do that is when they get people excited to let them down again. Well, that's what they've done in the past any way. Looking at the schedule, you're right that it's pretty easy down the stretch, but this is usually where the Texans have had problems and have fallen short when it comes to separating themselves from the the rest of the league as an elite or as one of the good teams. Their schedule looks pretty easy from here on out, but I won't be surprised if they win another game or two and then lose another two in a row that they have in the bag or something. They should be able to win this division with ease though either way.
yep. It's tough to ignore history and trends. Just like previous championships can inspire current players on a team (imagine being a Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, Patriots player and seeing those multiple Lombardis in the trophy case), losing franchises also suffer from "past demons".

It will be interesting to see how they handle the next two games. Because they should whoop the Jags and Browns, and this is one of the rare instances where I'm actually going into a game expecting a win. It has not been often that I felt that way as a Texans fan the past decade, so let's see them fulfill our expectations instead of dashing them away.

The packers were a wild card team that snuck into the playoffs because the giants decided to kick the ball to desean Jackson with 10 seconds left in the game.

Luckily we play the titans last game of the year and if it is that close at the end of the year we have control of our own destiny.
I'm hoping the Titans game means something, but with a caveat. I hope we have the division title secured by then, but we need to win the game for a first round bye. That means the season doesn't come down to that game, but it is still meaningful for fans at Reliant. That place would be rockin' if a playoff spot was already secured but the Texans needed a win for a bye.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
yep. It's tough to ignore history and trends. Just like previous championships can inspire current players on a team (imagine being a Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, Patriots player and seeing those multiple Lombardis in the trophy case), losing franchises also suffer from "past demons".
It wasn't too long ago that the Patriots case was empty.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the next two games. Because they should whoop the Jags and Browns, and this is one of the rare instances where I'm actually going into a game expecting a win.
I'm still reeling from the Raiders game. I have no more expectations for individual games. To me, this is another "guage" to see where the Texans are at. If they win, then we've broken the mold of our past history. If we lose..... then we're lucky to be in the AFC South this year.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It wasn't too long ago that the Patriots case was empty.
Well, they had a Lombardi before the Texans were around.

And they had an AFC championship trophy starting in 1985 (and a second in 1996), so they've had something to build on from way back.

Plus, they had division titles going back to 1963 (and then 1976, 1978, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010).

Empty...empty...the true definition would be seen in the Texans trophy case...unfortunately... :cry2:

I'm still reeling from the Raiders game. I have no more expectations for individual games. To me, this is another "guage" to see where the Texans are at. If they win, then we've broken the mold of our past history. If we lose..... then we're lucky to be in the AFC South this year.
Yep, agree on all points. That Raiders game was tough, and it was a Vickers catch away from being a W.