Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2005   #41
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Id accept a Dante Hall in the 4th round. I am all for letting him see alot of time in preseason and some solid minutes in the season just to help him develop even more. Letting him go for KR can only be a positive for us
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #42
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

If he turns into a Dante Hall, but a little better.. I will consider it one of our best draft picks ever. Dante Hall rocks
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #43
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
If he turns into a Dante Hall, but a little better.. I will consider it one of our best draft picks ever. Dante Hall rocks
Did you know he played alot of RB in college? Had around a 6 yard per carry average too.
Old 04-25-2005   #44
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 87466 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

so, what NFL player would Mathis remind you of? a faster Ernest givens?
for example?

I haven't seen Mathis play or know much about him
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #45
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

MMMMmm, he catches the ball into his body. I figure 2 maybe three lasers from David and he will quit that. Hope he hasen't broken a rib by then.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #46
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

He is mini-moss .

Same kinda speed.. but not quite as tall or with as much of a vertical leap. As a #2.. I think he could really shine.

Assuming of course that he gets his hands and route running straight.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #47
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
so, what NFL player would Mathis remind you of? a faster Ernest givens?
for example?

I haven't seen Mathis play or know much about him
I watched him in the Gridiron Classic game before the combine, and my first impressions of him was a better, faster version of Dante Hall. He can do all of the little reverses and WR screens like Hall, but Mathis can also be a legitimate receiver.

I'm not sure if I would put him in as the #2 or put him in the slot. With his speed and moves, he can take any short pass the distance, but he can also fly and burn the DB's deep. It would be interesting to see him just take off and have Carr throw the ball as far as he can and just watch Mathis run under it.

I am excited :woot ...I can't wait for pre-sesaon.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2005   #48
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Just found some interesting stats on Mathis:

Quote:
—Fourth-round selection Jerome Mathis, a wide receiver from Division I-AA Hampton, had the fastest time at the NFL scouting combine at 4.26 seconds in the 40 yard dash.

Other impressive college statistics by Mathis:

* He averaged a touchdown every 4.4 receptions during his three-year career.

* His 26.4 yards per catch average broke the Mid Eastern Athletic Conference and NCAA all-time record of 24.3 yards by John Taylor of Delaware State (1982-85).

* Finished with 32 plays of at least 40 yards.

* He caught a pass in a school-record 34 consecutive games.

* Set an I-AA record as a senior with five kickoff returns for touchdowns, including three of at least 90 yards.
LINK
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #49
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Just found some interesting stats on Mathis:

LINK
I believe I already made a comparison with him to John Taylor on a thread somewhere on here. Seriously, the more I hear about him the more I think this kid is going to do some things on this team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #50
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Seriously, the more I hear about him the more I think this kid is going to do some things on this team.
This is what got my attention the most:

Quote:
* He averaged a touchdown every 4.4 receptions during his three-year career.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #51
wiley2002
Veteran

He'll get pressure off of AJ no doubt. Having those 2 guys in the slot in a couple of years will be awesome. I wonder if we'll keep JG as the #3 guy if that happens or what.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #52
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I really do hope he becomes the suprise of our draft. That would make two starters we've picked in the fourth round that made an impact on our offense.
Old 04-29-2005   #53
Doom Capers
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Man if this kid is good at reverses, Palmer is going to call that like 65% of the time.
Hahahaha, only on national t.v. so he can embarrass us in front of all of America.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #54
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

I see you caught my sense of humor.

I could just imagine, reversing it one way with Johnson, then the other with Mathis and then finally running the reverse with Gaffney who throws it down field the other way incomplete to David Carr.

Chad Stanley set to punt!!!
Old 04-29-2005   #55
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He will probably be the WR2 starter by 2006.
He is 5'11" btw
I dunno.... easy to get ahead of ourselves on this guy. We know he is fast
but can he run routes, what kinda hands does he have, can he hold on to the ball when he's taken a hit, is he much of a runner after he's caught the ball, does he even know anything about downfield blocking, etc. If you say yes to one or more of those things, then I'd be apt to say "so what, he did those thngs at Hampton, I bet they really have inferior competition".
I mean this Hampton is really small time, the only thing I can think of when I hear the name is a rodent. If he becomes our #2 WR, it will be mainly luck because if Cass had any idea he was that good, he would have picked before the 4th round. Sorta like the D.Davis for a comparison.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #56
THEFUTURE
All Pro

just because an athelete goes to a lower division school doesnt mean he is less of an athlete.. a lot of times the athletes might not have the grades to get into the upper ranked schools, or came from a small town and didnt get the name... A lot of more athletically gifted, but academicly challenged atheletes are in junior colleges and stuff like that, so to say he is from a smaller school, so he mightn ot have quality talent is not correct
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #57
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
just because an athelete goes to a lower division school doesnt mean he is less of an athlete..
Not talking about his athletic abilities as a sprinter because that is not an issue. He is reportedly a 20.3 something 200 meter man - that is fact. Whatever his sprint times were and however he places in NCAA competition, etc. he does that whether he competes in Track for Hampton or a big time program.
Football is an entirely different thing - to measure his abilities accuratley he
needs to compete against against top flight comp. He would if he went to
a school in the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, etc. At Hampton, most likely no. This
is not to say he won't be successful in the NFL, there's just a lot more uncertainty.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #58
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnbreakdance
not to mention about .4 seconds faster running the 40.

Moses runs around a 4.6

Mathis runs a 4.26-4.28

both are really shifty too, so I would have to say that Mathis is our KR and PB is our PR

I'm looking forward to watching this guy in punt returns .... JJ may be 4.6 in the first 40 but he's about 8.6 in the second 40 ...
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #59
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default mathis

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/ope...ntextwidth=417
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #60
THEFUTURE
All Pro

you can measure his ablilities either way, the only thing you can look at is how he uses them.. his abilities dont change playing for Hampton or USC, but how effective he is, is what may or may not change
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read