Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2005   #1
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Mathis Competing for #2??

I've heard good things about the speedster out of Hampton, but isn't it a stretch to say that this cat can compete for position opposite AJ. I see him only as a special teams player in the mold of Moses. By the way, isn't he around the same size as Moses?? I just do not see him helping out our passing game next year. I hope I'm wrong about that sentiment.
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #2
tacoman_j
Veteran

If he does become our #2 reciever, I guess that would be a steal. Too raw and too small to ever contribute to our offense.
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He will probably be the WR2 starter by 2006. He is a much better prospect than Starling.

He is 5'11" btw

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #4
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Mathis is 5 inches taller and 13 pounds heavier.
Old 04-25-2005   #5
cptnbreakdance
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Mathis is 5 inches taller and 13 pounds heavier.
not to mention about .4 seconds faster running the 40.

Moses runs around a 4.6

Mathis runs a 4.26-4.28

both are really shifty too, so I would have to say that Mathis is our KR and PB is our PR
Old 04-25-2005   #6
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Moses and Reggie Swinton will be the two guys mainly competing for KR and PR duties, and if Mathis is placed as like a 4th or 5th WR on the Depth Charts, then he might be looked at as a KR
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

from nfl.com...

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
4 114 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
Pat Kirwan's Analysis
A speed guy who gained notoriety late in the year. This will give Houston the same effect of Lee Evans in Buffalo -- an absolute burner. He will open the underneath stuff up for Andre Johnson. This is a vertical push threat, which is important.
Brandt's notes: An excellent kick returner -- returned two in a bowl game. Word is he recently broke his jaw, but you don't catch the ball with your jaw.
Old 04-25-2005   #8
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

My interpretation of Casserly's comments he's made about Mathis is that he'll be used mainly as a KR this year and hopefully make an impact as a receiver in 2006, but I could be dead wrong...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #9
THEFUTURE
All Pro

i understand he is a good returner, but im the kind of person that doesnt like seeing staters on KR and PR, especially if they are an important part of the offense like i HOPE mathis will be this year... so the only way that i personally would like him as a KR is if he wasnt a top three receiver
Old 04-25-2005   #10
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
My interpretation of Casserly's comments he's made about Mathis is that he'll be used mainly as a KR this year and hopefully make an impact as a receiver in 2006, but I could be dead wrong...
i think thats what he may anticipate, but who knows, thast what DD was gonna be used as when he came in, a possible returner and situational back, and now is our starter, so mathis could emerge in camp quicker then expected
Old 04-25-2005   #11
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I got this from rjf's post over on houstonprofootball.com about Casserly on 610 this morning talking about Mathis:

Quote:
Was talking about Mathis, and his speed. Granato asked Charley about him being the fastest player at the combine other than the 2 corners(raiders took both). Charley said that Mathis was the fastest overall period. I guess he had his little black book with him(lol), because he took it out, and was naming off the 40 times. (This is their own hand times). Of the 2 raider cb's, Washington had something like a 4.27, 4.30, 4.28, and a 4.31, and Routt had like a 4.27, 4.29, 4.31, and a 4.28. These might not be exact, but I remember Routt having 1 of his 4 40 times above 4.3, and Washington had 2 above, with 4.27 the lowest mark for either. So it's close to exact.

Now for Mathis. They had his times at 4.26, 4.26, 4.27, and 4.28(or 9). Now that's freaking fast. 4 40's, and not a one over 4.3.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #12
THEFUTURE
All Pro

any highlights of this kid, i wanna see him move, that speed is amazing
Old 04-25-2005   #13
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

On Yahoo's draft website, they have videos of most of the picks on the first day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft;_y...Q--?analysis=1
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Man if this kid is good at reverses, Palmer is going to call that like 65% of the time.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #15
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Wow, world class speed and playmaking ability in a fourth round selection. Hopefully we can groom him and he can open some things up for AJ.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #16
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

wow, those videos of Mathis returns are extremely impressive. Amazing break-away speed.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #17
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

ok any guy who can run a 4.28 has my vote for the number 2 spot. i dont care how tall he is, size dont matter when you can burn past the secondary.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

WOW! You all should check this article out from the U.S. Olympic Team's website.

The NFL treats 40-yard dash times as sacred

The entire article is a very interesting read about how teams view the importance of 40 times and the extreme effect that those times can have on draft day value. But my eyes popped out when they mentioned Jerome Mathis.

Other prospects run their 40s at the annual NFL Scouting Combine in February inside Indianapolis' RCA Dome, where this year Arkansas quarterback Matt Jones went 4.37. Jones is 6 feet 6, 242 pounds.

It's also where Jerome Mathis, a wide receiver from tiny Hampton College in Virginia, sent his stock soaring with a reported 4.32. Some scouts apparently caught him sub-4.30. Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcels told people his stopwatch showed 4.25.

Never mind that Mathis was running on the RCA Dome's notoriously slow artificial turf, or that he was running alone without the aid of fellow competitors pushing him. Or that his left hamstring was wrapped because of a slight muscle strain.

Are you fricken kiddin me? This kid runs a 4.25 on Parcell's stopwatch with a pulled muscle?

Well, Charley Casserly said on 610 today that he's going to create some thrills for the crowd this coming preseason. I believe it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #19
Andre_Johnson88
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via MSN to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via Yahoo to Andre_Johnson88
Exclamation Jerome Mathis Videos......

Wow yall need to check out Jerome's highlight videos.......they are AMAZING! He makes all his running look so easy!Ok im serious here.....Mathis DEFINATELY needs to be utilized a lot on this team even in the first year because he would be a force with many possibilities!
Old 04-25-2005   #20
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

What I like in that video is that he seems to be at full speed within a couple strides. His acceleration is amazing.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read