Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2011   #1
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is the GQ experiment working?????

Just wondering what you guys thought about Quin's performances this year at safety.

I have seen a bit of talk around saying that its not quite working and on nfl network playbook they seemed to really target him as a weak spot.

I have watched all the games but i havnt really focused in on his play so I'm not sure. It does seem we are getting beat deep a little be to often. and that usually is a sign of bad safety play.

also hopefully this thread doesn't become a KJ and JA bashing thread.
Just wanted your opinions on GQ.

Thanks guys!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is the GQ experiment working?????

I thought he's played quite well at safety .... If there is a weak link in the back end , its the same weak link from last year - Jackson (Or Allen).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, having 2 safeties that can tackle is pretty nice. I'm so used to Eugene Wilson being 40 feet away from anything...

I mean he's not PrimeTime in coverage but I think he does pretty well.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought this was going to be a Mark Sanchez thread. The answer to that question appears to be 'no'.

Glover Quinn is a whole other story...
Old 10-21-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO Quin has done well. I see him as an option at CB2 though.
Old 10-22-2011   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

mixed bag...but that's probably expected in a position change and a short offseason. Jury is still out imo.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #7
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i would say hes been ok. i dont remember him being smoked very often
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2011   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Just wondering what you guys thought about Quin's performances this year at safety.

I have seen a bit of talk around saying that its not quite working and on nfl network playbook they seemed to really target him as a weak spot.
I wouldn't say pro bowl just yet. But I think he's contributing as much at safety as he would be expected at CB; he's having the same impact.

The guys on PlayBook singled him out for a few of the big runs, both this week & against the Raiders. One play they showed, he had to make a choice, neither would have been the right choice, because Ray Rice would have gone the other way. But overall, the way we handled the run I'll take a few bad plays (Ray Rice got a hundred yards, but at 3.8 ypc... ).

As far as our problems getting beat deep...We don't run a Tampa 2, where the safeties are always playing a deep zone. We've been able to put our safeties in man coverage at times, we've been able to use our safeties in the box, & we've been able to use our safeties to generate pressure on the QB. We've finally seen some pretty good play from our safeties in Houston.

I'm giving Danieal Manning the benefit of the doubt, but he's looked suspect at times, more so than GQ.
Old 10-22-2011   #9
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Yeah, having 2 safeties that can tackle is pretty nice. I'm so used to Eugene Wilson being 40 feet away from anything...

I mean he's not PrimeTime in coverage but I think he does pretty well.
Just looking at your signature. How did you typo annual for weekly?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #10
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Wondering, would it have been so bad to keep Pollard and then have Quinn at CB #2? So that our starting safeties would be Manning and Pollard and our CBs Joseph and Quinn.

While Pollard had a bad year (the entire defense did...) he did have a pretty solid year the season before and was great as a run stopper.
fiasco west is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Wondering, would it have been so bad to keep Pollard and then have Quinn at CB #2? So that our starting safeties would be Manning and Pollard and our CBs Joseph and Quinn.

While Pollard had a bad year (the entire defense did...) he did have a pretty solid year the season before and was great as a run stopper.
He would probably been a plus in the nickel.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We've been able to put our safeties in man coverage at times, we've been able to use our safeties in the box, & we've been able to use our safeties to generate pressure on the QB. We've finally seen some pretty good play from our safeties in Houston.
Can you imagine trying to have done this last year?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #13
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

I though Glover had been doing great as well. Compared to the type of coverage we had last season he us actually doing his job. He has also done a solid job with open field tackles as well.

I am more concerned about other positions on D at the moment.
Old 10-22-2011   #14
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say at this point Quin is outplaying Manning.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #15
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

The safety play is so much better than last year. Quin probably isn't all that, but he's definitely better than anyone else we've had back there. Seems like he's gotten burned less than manning which is going to happen on anyone from time to time. See jacoby on ed reed last week for instance.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't see anything about him worth actually complaining about. Overall, seems like a good player out there.

Nice to know the safeties have talent on both sides of the field, because the CB situation is so lopsided that rainwater will only drain toward J.Jo.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #17
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Watch AFC playbook this week. They show Quinn and some of the mistakes he has been making at safety allowing long runs.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

In the sense, that we have better overall defensive play in all areas yes. In that I think he is a great safety, not as sure.
Old 10-22-2011   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Watch AFC playbook this week. They show Quinn and some of the mistakes he has been making at safety allowing long runs.
they cherrypicked 3 plays of him missing 1 on 1 tackles on dmc and ray rice and isaac redman. he wasnt good on those plays but in all cases he either slowed the rbs down or forced them inside to help and all 3 'lowlights' cost us maybe 20-25 yds in total than if he had made all 3 tackles where an eite safety wouldve.

funny they didnt show his perfect form tackle against michael bush (i think?) v the raiders 1 on 1 since they were trawling for 1 on 1 tackles. that wouldnt have tied in with their storyline. you could do what they did to almost any player in the league. that why i always take playbook with a huge grain of salt

one other pt that pissed me off was the 'same ol texans' defence v the 'lights out disciplined titans' defence storyline they were running. titans are averaging around 19 ppg, texans about 21 ppg. the titans have also played the jags, browns & broncos in their other games. stunning performance to contain those offensive powerhouses. v commmon opponents (steelers & ravens) we've conceded 39 pts, the titans 51 pts

not exactly the huge contrast they want you to believe
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #20
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a very valid question right now. I would have to say he's a little below expectation, but you have to wonder if expectations were realistic to begin with. I think he's in a natural learning curve, and as long as he's not KJ terrible, he's doing alright.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read