Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-21-2011   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default C Olin Kreutz walks away from the 'Aints

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...er_olin_1.html

New Orleans Saints center Olin Kreutz has decided to leave the team, according to agent Mark Bartelstein, because he felt like he was not able to bring the same passion to work every day that he had throughout his 14-year career.

"He decided, 'If I can't bring that same passion every day to work, I'm not gonna just sit here and collect a paycheck,'" Bartelstein said. "That's the way he is. Olin's a little different than most guys. People say all the time that it's not about the money. That's really how it is with him. It never has been."

Kreutz, who spent his first 13 seasons with the Chicago Bears, signed a one-year deal worth $2 million to join the Saints. The deal did not include a signing bonus, so he will be paid for the games he played but forfeit the remaining portion of his salary.

Bartelstein said Kreutz has not officially decided to retire yet, but he plans to walk away for now and spend time with his family. Bartelstein said there was no conflict with the team or the coaching staff or how he was being used that led to the decision.

"No, he was starting, he's on a great team with a great contract. He just wasn't getting the right vibe about how he felt," Bartelstein said. "He has played 14 years in this league, and what made him a Hall of Famer was his passion and love for the game. He has felt for the last few weeks that flame inside him isn't really burning."

Kreutz just returned to the lineup last Sunday at Tampa Bay after missing two games with a knee injury.

The Saints have not yet commented on Kreutz's decision. Bartelstein said the team wasn't happy about it, but they understood it.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: C Olin Kreutz walks away from the 'Aints

He was a hell of a center in his prime...but the Bears look smart for not giving him a big contract when he was demanding one.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He was a hell of a center in his prime...but the Bears look smart for not giving him a big contract when he was demanding one.
Yeah. Think he's got a good enough mind to coach if that's what he wants to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quitter.
Old 10-21-2011   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Quitter.
I agree, actually. I applaud the guy for evaluating what's important in his life and walking away, but the time for that sort of evaluation is the off-season. Once the hitting starts, your teammates need to be able to count on you. Not to mention the fact that the team was built with the idea that you'd be an integral part of it.

At least Glen Coffee walked away during training camp.
Old 10-21-2011   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I agree, actually. I applaud the guy for evaluating what's important in his life and walking away, but the time for that sort of evaluation is the off-season. Once the hitting starts, your teammates need to be able to count on you. Not to mention the fact that the team was built with the idea that you'd be an integral part of it.

At least Glen Coffee walked away during training camp.
you guys aren't playing with a painful bone spur in your foot either. I don't know about right now, but he played with massive pain the past.

Easy to sit back in your chair and call guys names who are giving their blood and guts and permanent injuries to you for your "fun and enjoyment". Watch some of those guys limp around at the HOF ceremonies and you may not want to call them names much longer...some of it is just friggin' sad.

Old 10-21-2011   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a problem with this at all. He was honest with the team and himself. I think a lot of players would've stuck it out the season to collect the remaining 1+ million on his contract.

Plus, I think he lost a crap load of weight and has been getting man-handled in the middle. He not only saved his team $, he's allowing them to get better by leaving and having the better player (currently) play.

Props
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2011   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
you guys aren't playing with a painful bone spur in your foot either. I don't know about right now, but he played with massive pain the past.

Easy to sit back in your chair and call guys names who are giving their blood and guts and permanent injuries to you for your "fun and enjoyment". Watch some of those guys limp around at the HOF ceremonies and you may not want to call them names much longer...some of it is just friggin' sad.
If AJ left the team now, I would feel the same way. Olin's not being forced to play, if he really has an injury that needs to be taken care of, then he should address it with the team. They have doctors, world class care and everything they need to get better. If he belongs on IR, then put him there, but don't tell me a nagging injury is a reason to quit on your team in the NFL. Plenty of guys get through injuries each year and keep playing. He's not the only one with pains each week.
Old 10-21-2011   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
If AJ left the team now, I would feel the same way. Olin's not being forced to play, if he really has an injury that needs to be taken care of, then he should address it with the team. They have doctors, world class care and everything they need to get better. If he belongs on IR, then put him there, but don't tell me a nagging injury is a reason to quit on your team in the NFL. Plenty of guys get through injuries each year and keep playing. He's not the only one with pains each week.
Dude is a long time vet with known pain and injury issues. I would never be upset with a guy calling it quits due to their bodies not holding up. I think it is kinda self-absorbed and a bit juvenile. This is his life and you won't have to limp out to the mailbox for him when you are 50.

Old 10-21-2011   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Dude is a long time vet with known pain and injury issues. I would never be upset with a guy calling it quits due to their bodies not holding up. I think it is kinda self-absorbed and a bit juvenille. This is his life and you won't have to limp out to the mailbox for him when you are 50.
I thought he said his heart wasn't in it. Was there more to it than that?
Old 10-21-2011   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I thought he said his heart wasn't in it. Was there more to it than that?
I'm reading between the lines here, plus he was playing in a lot of pain in the past. You guys call him out if you want. I'll just appreciate the guys who give their bodies so we can have some fun on Sundays.

Old 10-21-2011   #12
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100585 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Though he will be letting down his team mates, he made a decision based on what was best for him. Had the team decided he wasn't doing his job up to their standards, it isn't like they would have said to themselves that they should have decided this during training camp. Trust me, the Saints would have acted in their best interest and dropped him like a bad habit. This is no different than a stock boy quitting his Toys 'R Us job during Christmas season, or a waiter quitting his job on Mother's Day in the morning. Yeah, it is inconvenient and there may be some hard feelings, but he did what he thought was best for him and his family.
Old 10-22-2011   #13
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

before he "walked away" there was a lot of talk about him being cut or released. And the sentiment that there was no conflict also appears not to be the case - word is (taken w/ grain of salt) that he got into it pretty intensely with at least 1 asst coach. Now word has come out that the Saints tried shopping him before the deadline.

His play was disappointing. His attitude appeared to have grated some. There was some read-between-the-lines comments about frustration in the running game and OLine cohesion. Some sort of conflict with a coach. Injuries. Some subpar play in the run game. Shopped for a trade.

Much of this is speculative but the word about him being cut preceded his walking away by a day or so.

I don't know that this is all as tidy as "walking away because my heart's not in it"

I was excited when we got Kreutz - a lot of youth on that line and I thought his leadership would help. ANd I've been a bit disappointed. He was outplayed by a journeyman - which also doesn't bode well for our inside run game.

All of these things, I think, contributed somehow to his decision to walk away from the Saints.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post

All of these things, I think, contributed somehow to his decision to walk away from the Saints.
Thanks for the update. Just speculating on your speculation, sounds like the coaches approached him about cutting him, possibly extending the offer to walk away at the same time, save some face.
Old 10-24-2011   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm reading between the lines here, plus he was playing in a lot of pain in the past. You guys call him out if you want. I'll just appreciate the guys who give their bodies so we can have some fun on Sundays.
I appreciate them as well, and actually would encourage him to get out and walk away before the season began in the first place. If his health is an issue,m as it is with most football players, then walk away. He had a good career; he can walk away with his head held high. The decision to try and go through the season and THEN walk away is where he did a disservice to his teammates and organization. The fans? Meh, whatever.
Old 10-24-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I appreciate them as well, and actually would encourage him to get out and walk away before the season began in the first place. If his health is an issue,m as it is with most football players, then walk away. He had a good career; he can walk away with his head held high. The decision to try and go through the season and THEN walk away is where he did a disservice to his teammates and organization. The fans? Meh, whatever.
Last night they were saying the "believe" Payton was going to sit Kreutz & play the rookie(?) whoever the back up was. & rather than become the back up, Kreutz decided he didn't want to play anymore.
Old 10-24-2011   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
dude said he didn't want to accept a paycheck for what he was giving the team in his current situation/state of mind. How the hell is that bad? Perhaps he committed the sin of thinking he could go another season and then getting banged around more than the thought by the ever forever young man's league. Hanging around and taking a paycheck under false pretenses would be much better...you're right.

Old 10-24-2011   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Last night they were saying the "believe" Payton was going to sit Kreutz & play the rookie(?) whoever the back up was. & rather than become the back up, Kreutz decided he didn't want to play anymore.
That would be petty. I prefer to think Kreutz just had enough after this much time and decided to walk away.

Quote:
dude said he didn't want to accept a paycheck for what he was giving the team in his current situation/state of mind. How the hell is that bad? Perhaps he committed the sin of thinking he could go another season and then getting banged around more than the thought by the ever forever young man's league. Hanging around and taking a paycheck under false pretenses would be much better...you're right.
I'm right? About what? I never suggested that he hang around and collect a paycheck. I suggested he make that decision when it's the proper time for making such decisions - training camp. That is when teams and players make decisions.

Although, it might be shaping up to be a story about a guy who was willing to hang around and collect a paycheck as long as he could be a starter. We'll see how it develops.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read