Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2011   #1
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 62368 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans vs Titans game dillema

Ok, so, here is my dillema. Massive, huge, enormous game Sunday as we all know. I have my daughter. I have no DVR or anything like that nor do I have a smartphone or tablet to watch away from home.

My daughter has a school fall fest Sunday that lasts all day and I volunteered us to work a booth and be there from 9-11am, so plenty of time to get home for the noon kick. Well, my ex will be at the festival all day from when I am there until probably the end later in the evening.

So, my 5 year old may want to stay longer than I do and I don't want to drag her home so I can watch football but I don't feel right leaving her with my ex while it is my time with her to watch football (obviously I'm not going to make it known why I want to leave at 11 but unless my ex became a moron over night she'll figure it out) and I REALL, REALLY want to see this friggin game!

Anyone who knows my posts at all knows I ALWAYS put my daughter first, so I think I'm ok with coming home to watch the game but I wanted to see what yall think as outsiders. Would this make me look like douche dad?

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #2
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans vs Titans game dillema

Bust out the VCR!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #3
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 62368 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Bust out the VCR!
LMAO....do they even sell blank tapes at the store anymore???

I actually do still have a VCR lol.

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 10-21-2011   #4
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9715 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Ice cream. Get some ice cream and when it's time to leave if she says she wants to stay say "but we have ice cream at home for dessert after lunch". She'll hop in the car.

At least my son would have when he was five.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Father first, fan second. Stay awhile and come home to catch the 2nd half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel for ya bro. But the Texans can wait. If your daughter wants to spend more time at the fall fest then I say enjoy your time with her at the fall fest. You will still get home in plenty of time to catch the 2nd half I would assume.

If you drag her home and we get killed in Tennessee you will be double pissed.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Bribery. Toys also work as well as chloroform.
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2011   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Fast forward to the (hopefully distant) future:

You are laying on your death bed. Will you be thinking, "I wish I had spent more time watching the Texans".

If so, the decision is clear.
Old 10-21-2011   #9
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
LMAO....do they even sell blank tapes at the store anymore???

I actually do still have a VCR lol.
Crazy thing is, I have a 6 pack of blank tapes, and a VCR. I gotta have something to watch my PanterA boots on. I also do tape trading so I need them.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #10
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I always put my family first(try to anyway). If you can, try to be with your daughter. Every moment is precious when you with your own child/children.

Ask your friend who has DVR to record the game for you and see it at your friend's place or take DVD where you would be able to watch the game.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #11
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

To respond to various posts withough cutting up quotes as I am on the fly at work....

Exactly, I always put my daughter first and have blwon off things I want to do ever since she was born. So I always do dad 1st, fan 2nd,.......this is the 1st time, I've had a twnige of doing somthing i want to do you know (just to clarify for some posters who don't know me) plus it's not like I would blow off the whole weekend.....just a few hours...at least that is how my mind tries tro justify it. Obviously I didn't feel quite right about it so that is why I posted....sounds like I would be douche dad and I don't want to go there...

Sounds like I need to find some blank tapes

Also, to who posted it.....yes...I would be DOUBLE pissed if I came home only to see the Texans shit their pants....which we all know could happen

Darn my daughter growing up and having her own "schedule" and events now lol ....Saturday we'll be busy with Girl Scouts stuff all day.

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 10-21-2011   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

my advice: stick around until half 11 or as long as possible even if it means missing a small bit of the game & plan something nice for you to do with your daughter after the game. theres plenty of afternoon/evening there for everyone to win
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If we had no losses, or only one loss, I can see the temptation.

But in this case, I'd say you stand a good chance of just being miserable if you watch the game. You'll have misery from watching us blow the game, and then there'll be little needles of guilt that you sacrificed even one minute of time with your daughter for the displeasure of watching the Texans lose the game.

I'm not saying you SHOULD feel guilty, just saying it's in the human psyche to play the "hindsight" game whereby we can't entirely escape the feelings of 'Why didn't I just do abc instead of xyz?"

Now, if you can go into the viewing of the game with the attitude of "If at some point we're obviously not 'in the game,' then I'm bugging out and done with it..." then perhaps that's good for you. I just know that I am a fairly grumpy person when I see my team suck eggs on the field. Nobody wants to be around me for an hour or so afterward.

Whatever you do, nobody will judge you. I won't. These Texans this year, man I just don't think we're missing anything if we choose to do something else. There is an option to pay like $40 with NFL.com where on Tuesdays you can re-watch any game and it gives you hi-def picture, unique camera angles not seen during the original telecast, you should check it out. Might be a good option if you miss the whole game, we win, and you want to watch it Tuesday.
Old 10-21-2011   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Stay with your little girl! You'll likely have a much better time with her anyway.
Old 10-21-2011   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

It's all about the spin. You're not just going home to watch the game, you're watching the game WITH her. It's an activity you share, so stock up on all the goodies she likes the most, then watch the game with her and explain to her wth is going on.

Remember, you're sharing an activity
Old 10-21-2011   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If your daughter wants to come home, then turn on the game and get her started watching football early. If not, use the VCR. You don't get that time back.

I remind myself of that after every loss.
Old 10-21-2011   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Drug her so she passes out.
Old 10-21-2011   #18
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Have any of you been to one of these fall fest at school?

If it's anything like the ones in our schools, 2 hours is PLENTY of time there. Those things are CRAZY! I am all for the be a parent first and a fan second thing (okay I may struggle a little j/k), but I don't see the problem here. She should have plenty of time to have a blast.

I'd be open to staying afterwards a little while, even if you stay an hour longer you could get home towards the end of the first quarter. I'd rent her a movie and make popcorn or something similiar that works for y'all and catch as much of the game as I could.

Recently my 6 year old daughter has decided to join me watching football, not an entire game yet but it's been fun!
Old 10-21-2011   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
If your daughter wants to come home, then turn on the game and get her started watching football early. If not, use the VCR. You don't get that time back.
I remind myself of that after every loss.
Keeping in mind I am not a single parent like H-town is and I know every minute you he gets to see her is precious because time is limited with split custody. My take above is relative to my situation (married with 3 children). And in that sense I would agree with you about the bolded.

However, in my situation football on Sundays is one of the things that I do for fun to blow off steam which in turn gets me refreshed, gives me some downtime and helps me be a better parent.
Old 10-21-2011   #20
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Get her a jersey (even if its the t-shirt variety or Texans cheerleading outfit), girls love new clothes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read