Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-24-2011   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Badboy, Beerlover and rmartin65's 2012 Combo Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
It's scary how much you and I think alike. I agree few FA are worth their contract, see Chris Johnson and Tennessee. Do you think Bud's looking over that new contract trying to find a loophole to get some of his money back? I'd try for an injury related sweet deal with Mario and if that doesn't work then franchise him. Either scenario gives us a contract in the Texans favor and makes Mario much more tradeable. The only bad thing is that Mario keeps having nagging injuries which other teams will be very aware of. Also remember that Cinncinati now has multiple early round picks. I'm not sure of their needs but they might be an option as well. It's still a big IF but if we could trade Mario and get maybe a 1st & 2nd round pick for him from a team worse than we are, we'd have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and could fill lots of holes with quality talent. The imagination and possibilities are endless.
I could see Cin wanting Mario but giving up a first and a second allows them to go CB with other first round selection and OG in 3rd? Just not sure a team will give a high first round for Williams. Now if we would take the lower of the two picks and a 3rd, Bengals might go for that. If Barwin and Reed nail down their positions with a good year, I'd do that deal. I think Bengals want a corner and a RG in first.
Old 10-24-2011   #42
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 6088 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Texans are going to let him walk or trade him. I just hope we don't give him a ridiculous contract.
Old 10-24-2011   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
I don't think the Texans are going to let him walk or trade him. I just hope we don't give him a ridiculous contract.
AGreed and this is why we set our mock as we did. I think Mario will give a hometown discount especially due to missing this year. He prob will ask for much dinero up front in bonus though.
Old 10-24-2011   #44
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
This is what we all hope for. I just hope that McNair isn't fully in love with Mario, as the face of the franchise, and grossly overpays him. McNair needs to have a talk with Bud Adams and be reminded of the Chris Johnson fiasco.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #45
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Not sure if Eagles would take Mario for their 4-3. They signed DE Jason Babin 5 years $28million and DT Cullen Jenkins 5 yrs $25m. Their 2010 first round pick DE Brandon Graham is to return off PUP (right knee surgery) soon. He'd have to lay DE. They just signed defensive coach Jim Washburn from Titans & don't see a change to 3-4. Of course they do lie to pressure the QB and Mario may be to good to pass as a DE.

I am thinking a move to Patriots would offer best deal for both teams.
BB and Dutch are probably correct.

I didn't realize that the Eagles had locked up Cole and forgot about Graham.

The Pats,Jets,Saints,Cowgirls,Packers and Ravens could be in play for MW.

Best case scenario would be for the Jets and Pats getting in a bidding war for MW's services.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
BB and Dutch are probably correct.

I didn't realize that the Eagles had locked up Cole and forgot about Graham.

The Pats,Jets,Saints,Cowgirls,Packers and Ravens could be in play for MW.

Best case scenario would be for the Jets and Pats getting in a bidding war for MW's services.
Pats have two 1sts & two seconds allowing them to give one of each and retain one of each. Pats will probably trade down their first anyway. They could use Mario. Bengals have two first & could give one but don't se them gicing a second round also. I would take a 1st and 3rd from them.
Old 10-24-2011   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pats have two 1sts & two seconds allowing them to give one of each and retain one of each. Pats will probably trade down their first anyway. They could use Mario. Bengals have two first & could give one but don't se them gicing a second round also. I would take a 1st and 3rd from them.
A 1st and 3rd would be good from either Cincy or the Pats.

The Texans would be set up to move up or down. They could do what the Pats do.

Imagine this scenario

21.Houston picks Ta'amu
30. Xavier Rhodes (Pats pick)
50. Dwight Jones

Then you have two 3rds to add depth or trade back into the 2nd rd for an OG or OLb. (Oh the possibilities)
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2011   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Wow, I like Rhodes but that is higher than I have him. You rate him above Casey Hayward?
Old 10-24-2011   #49
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Hayward reminds me of KJ.

Great college player. But NFL starter is to big a stage for him.

Tier 1 Claiborne, Jenkins, Kirkpatrick
Tier 2 Dennard,Rhodes,Gilmore,Cliff Harris
Tier3 Minniefield,Boykins,Judi,Hayward,HosLey.

This is subject to change. rest of season,bowl games/Combine/pro days.
Old 10-24-2011   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Hayward reminds me of KJ.

Great college player. But NFL starter is to big a stage for him.

Tier 1 Claiborne, Jenkins, Kirkpatrick
Tier 2 Dennard,Rhodes,Gilmore,Cliff Harris
Tier3 Minniefield,Boykins,Judi,Hayward,HosLey.

This is subject to change. rest of season,bowl games/Combine/pro days.
interesting post. You think KJ's problems are due to adjustment to NFL?
Old 10-24-2011   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
interesting post. You think KJ's problems are due to adjustment to NFL?
Yes I do

KJ is strong and can manhandle college WR's. The 5 yd chuck rule has adversely affected his game. Because he cant mask his lack of game speed.

Yes, I know he ran a 4.45 at the combine. But his game speed is much slower. Kinda like Fosters game speed is much faster than his 40 time.
Old 10-25-2011   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yes I do

KJ is strong and can manhandle college WR's. The 5 yd chuck rule has adversely affected his game. Because he cant mask his lack of game speed.

Yes, I know he ran a 4.45 at the combine. But his game speed is much slower. Kinda like Fosters game speed is much faster than his 40 time.
I saw this presented in his defense last season, perhaps by you but here is why I am doubtful. He played "bump and run" a lot and that scenario fits your assumption. However towards end of the year and almost every play this season, he stationed himself several yards off line of scrimmage which seemingly negates what you are saying. As you know there has been tremendous criticism of KJ playing so far off the WR.

How does this fit in? Interesting discussion btw.
Old 10-25-2011   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I saw this presented in his defense last season, perhaps by you but here is why I am doubtful. He played "bump and run" a lot and that scenario fits your assumption. However towards end of the year and almost every play this season, he stationed himself several yards off line of scrimmage which seemingly negates what you are saying. As you know there has been tremendous criticism of KJ playing so far off the WR.

How does this fit in? Interesting discussion btw.
Here's the dilema with KJ. He was mainly a bump and run CB in college. Where the 5 yd chuck rule doesn't apply. He doesn't have the speed tp keep up with professional WR's without bumping them after the 5yd area. IMHO

So Phillips has backed him off in an attempt to mask his lack of speed. Since KJ's never really played zone in college or last yr. He spends alot of time looking lost/falling down.

Since this is all new to him there's hope he will improve. But I wouldn't be suprised if Phillips loses patcience with him. Because he's making mental mistakes that are costing the team big time and this is a yr where the coaching staff doesn't have time for OJT.
Old 10-25-2011   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Agree 100% and have posted the same. Bump & Run coverage takes a special CB in NFL. I think KJ has good speed but it comes after he has missed a bump or been fooled by a wily vet. He then tries to "catch up" and often gets close but is out of position to impact the play. QBs love him. I thought when he was moved "off" the reciever he'd make massive strides in improvement but have not see that.

Do you think he can play safety?
Old 10-25-2011   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Agree 100% and have posted the same. Bump & Run coverage takes a special CB in NFL. I think KJ has good speed but it comes after he has missed a bump or been fooled by a wily vet. He then tries to "catch up" and often gets close but is out of position to impact the play. QBs love him. I thought when he was moved "off" the reciever he'd make massive strides in improvement but have not see that.

Do you think he can play safety?
Since KJ's never played S in his life I wouldn't put him as the last line of defense this yr.

After an offseason of bulking up a bit and film study and a TC of OJT if he looked like he could do it in TC, then yeah I would give him a shot.

Most S are students of the game. Have you heard about KJ's film study habits?
Old 10-25-2011   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

lol, I am trying to salvage the pick. When he was drafted as you may recall, I was negative and got savaged by some posters.
Old 10-25-2011   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's the dilema with KJ. He was mainly a bump and run CB in college. Where the 5 yd chuck rule doesn't apply. He doesn't have the speed tp keep up with professional WR's without bumping them after the 5yd area. IMHO

So Phillips has backed him off in an attempt to mask his lack of speed. Since KJ's never really played zone in college or last yr. He spends alot of time looking lost/falling down.

Since this is all new to him there's hope he will improve. But I wouldn't be suprised if Phillips loses patcience with him. Because he's making mental mistakes that are costing the team big time and this is a yr where the coaching staff doesn't have time for OJT.
Nah, the 5yd chuck rule doesn't hurt KJ; but it would hurt Prince Amakamura (more than his injury, LOL!).

KJ never had problem with receivers downfield in college.
He never had to face guard them or put a hand on them.
He played as if the NFL rules applied.

I don't think KJ played off the LOS anymore than Joseph or Allen.
I know for a fact that in the Saints game, he actually played closer to the LOS than Joseph overall in the Saints last 3 scoring drives.

I don't know when I can start concentrating on college players, and you guys always give me a good starting point.
Thanks, guys!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read