Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-21-2011   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Badboy, Beerlover and rmartin65's 2012 Combo Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That is what I'd do...

Having a QB of the Caliber that Luck is projected to be is an astronomical boost to a football team. I'd take the gamble...
Yep but no way Texans do that. If we had Luck, think we could get our second rounds back foir Schaub? He is a more vetted QB and should bring a good deal. Just a thread on this would explode this MB, again.
Old 10-23-2011   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
To be honest, I have not looked at it that closely. However, the Jonathan Joseph signing was just exactly the sort of move that I was thinking of. For real, who saw that coming before it was actually announced last year?

You never know. Maybe Rick Smith and company will be able to pull another similar rabbit out of their hats.
last off season there existed free agent corners and a safety or two. I do not see anything on the horizon...
Old 10-23-2011   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

man the Colts suck, could be in their destiny to get Luck. that would cause a ripple effect in AFC south & corner would be a must. a trade up would be in order to get a playmaker like Morris Claiborne or Janoris Jenkins.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011   #24
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
man the Colts suck, could be in their destiny to get Luck. that would cause a ripple effect in AFC south & corner would be a must. a trade up would be in order to get a playmaker like Morris Claiborne or Janoris Jenkins.

Even if the Colts win the suck for Luck race I doubt they would pick Luck #1 since they just re-signed Manning to a multi year deal. I think they'd use Luck for a trade down deal thus getting alot of draft picks and/or players in exchange.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Round 2: Baylor WR Kendall Wright, 511 190 lbs[/u][/b]

Kendall was the school's all-time leading receiver before his senior year even began & is a pure, athletic #2 possession WR that would fit in nicely opposite Andre Johnson. Excellent hands, can make adjustment to the ball, runs crisp routes, explosive speed (4.42, with reports as low as 4.32) which creates separation as well deep routes stretching the field. Doesn't hurt that he has the build of a RB (which should really aid his durability in the NFL) vertical leaping ability (reported 42") & timing to snag high throws @ apex of flight. Again this is a mid-late 2nd rd. pick (don't know yet what Texans record of draft slot will be) another Senior with experience catching the ball from RG3 a very strong arm thrower & future first round QB pick.
i'm not familiar with players yet, but i love the design of this pick. i think the best thing we can do on offense is add a steve smith, santana moss, wes welker type player across from andre. a smaller, faster "escapee" to be a legit threat and turn our all pro into all century. let's make no mistake, we are an offensive team, and we're 1 player away from being complete ... that being WR2. again, i'm not familiar with the player, but your description is nothing short of what i'd reach for if necessary.

that being said, i'm also a huge fan of a first round mountain (or island in this case).
Old 10-24-2011   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm still not seeing big NT as a first round need. Mario may not be with us next year & I believe Antonio will be in the last year of his contract. I think we go DE again with a late first round pick.

I like WR in the second but I think we go NT or interior OL in the third.
Old 10-24-2011   #27
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I want us to focus on WR, NT, ILB, and G(not in particular order) in 2012 draft.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2011   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Would the mocks change if Meachem was added in FA?

If this were to happen either Ta'amu or DeCastro would be my 1st rd pick.

AJ/Meachem/Walter in the slot and adding Owusu or Wright in the 3/4th rd.

Man this offense would rival the Saints and by letting MW walk the FA $$$$ would be there to sign 2 impact FA's
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #29
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Swap out your 3rd round pick with a linebacker and it's good. OLB preferred, as I don't think Mario will be back with this team. I think we will be outbid when he hits the open market.
Old 10-24-2011   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Swap out your 3rd round pick with a linebacker and it's good. OLB preferred, as I don't think Mario will be back with this team. I think we will be outbid when he hits the open market.
We concluded McNair would not allow this to happen. Worst case is they will franchise Mario. He simply means too much to this organization & Wade Phillip carry's a lot of weight (tipping 275) in decision process.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-24-2011   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Another thing about this concurrent theme of Texans needing to use a semi-high to high pick on ILB. The Texans already have one in Cushing, who is also playing like one once again. At some point his contract will need evaluated/upgraded. Smith already rewarded DeMeco Ryans to big bucks. I want to see what's going on with him first before I panic. Also really like Darryl Sharpton who Texans invested a 4th rd. pick on in 2010 draft. I think he was projected to be a WLB in the 4-3 but he always seemed more of a natural ILB to me so his transition has gone well. Excellent sideline to sideline mobility, he's not afraid to put his hat on somebody & play physical.

OLB is another thing because of importance of setting edge & getting after the QB but in one short year with Wade Phillips Texans, even with Mario freaking Williams out, have some depth to still attack offenses. Barwin, Brooks, Jamison, Bramen & Nading w/former worth a late rd. developmental replacement.

The emphasis however we spent was up front with a NT & late rd. developmental 5 tech DE.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-24-2011   #32
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We concluded McNair would not allow this to happen. Worst case is they will franchise Mario. He simply means too much to this organization & Wade Phillip carry's a lot of weight (tipping 275) in decision process.
I hope they get a good discount on him then, cause he's not worth 14 million a year. Would much rather see him signed for 4-6 a year, but I don't think he will be that cheap.
Old 10-24-2011   #33
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully we can get some of our holes filled FA, allowing pure BPA

WR FA

Steve Johnson BUF
Dwayne Bowe - KC
Marques Colston - NO
Wes Welker NE
DeSean Jackson PHI
Vincent Jackson SD

Think any of these would be awesome..

NT FA

Paul Soliai MIA - Don't think hes been doing all that good this year, could of lowered his contract - Rumors were that we were interested this year prior to being franchised.

CB FA

Tracy Porter NO
Rashean Mathis JAC

Hopefully, with so many WR's being available, we're able to scoop one, allowing someone else to be drafted.
Old 10-24-2011   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Another thing about this concurrent theme of Texans needing to use a semi-high to high pick on ILB. The Texans already have one in Cushing, who is also playing like one once again. At some point his contract will need evaluated/upgraded. Smith already rewarded DeMeco Ryans to big bucks. I want to see what's going on with him first before I panic. Also really like Darryl Sharpton who Texans invested a 4th rd. pick on in 2010 draft. I think he was projected to be a WLB in the 4-3 but he always seemed more of a natural ILB to me so his transition has gone well. Excellent sideline to sideline mobility, he's not afraid to put his hat on somebody & play physical.

OLB is another thing because of importance of setting edge & getting after the QB but in one short year with Wade Phillips Texans, even with Mario freaking Williams out, have some depth to still attack offenses. Barwin, Brooks, Jamison, Bramen & Nading w/former worth a late rd. developmental replacement.

The emphasis however we spent was up front with a NT & late rd. developmental 5 tech DE.
Agreed with you on the NT thing. Sharpton has proven more than capable of filling the ILB spot. DeMeco will be kept arond for another yr and you can always find another ILB like Dobbins in FA on the cheap as a depth/ST guy.

I dont think another OLB developmental guy is really needed. Braman is already that guy and I'm real high on him. Jamison is also great depth because he can play the OLB position as well as some 5 tech in a pinch so depth is covered there. I do agree with you on a late rd 5 tech. You should check out J.R. Sweazy. He fits that description to a tee.

I dont see a need for a CB drafted high. Because I still have high hopes for Harris. If a WR is gotten in FA. how would you feel about drafting a OL like DeCastro in the 1st rd if Ta'amu isn't there when the Texans pick?

Adding DeCastro and a FA WR like Meachem would make this offense complete. I would even consider trading back into the late 1st rd and taking DeCastro if Ta'amu is taken with the Texans 1st rd pick. This way you would get the best OG in the draft and the best NT in the draft. 2 future 10 yr starters with all pro potential.

This is just a thought and history says the Texans wont trade up. But I tihnk the Texans are close to being an elite team. They just need a a couple of spots to be filled and a new HC. LOL

Would you supoort a trade up?
Old 10-24-2011   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I hope they get a good discount on him then, cause he's not worth 14 million a year. Would much rather see him signed for 4-6 a year, but I don't think he will be that cheap.
Few free agents are worth their contracts. If Texans don't offer Mario a huge deal someone will as he can play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. Best scenario for me is if Barwin and Reed have very good years, we tag Williams and get offered a huge deal to trade him. NE and Philadelphia only teams with mutli seond round selections. Of course someone could offer a starter or two.

Keep in mind if he signed $4m a year he'd have to play 3 years get what he did in one and that is not happening.
Old 10-24-2011   #36
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Few free agents are worth their contracts. If Texans don't offer Mario a huge deal someone will as he can play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. Best scenario for me is if Barwin and Reed have very good years, we tag Williams and get offered a huge deal to trade him. NE and Philadelphia only teams with mutli seond round selections. Of course someone could offer a starter or two.

Keep in mind if he signed $4m a year he'd have to play 3 years get what he did in one and that is not happening.
I would ask Philly for their 1st, the Cards 2nd and Samuel for MW.

That would give the Texans unprecidented chance to fill the holes and add depth.

You want Ta'amu you could offer a team a 1st and a high 2nd to move up and get him. Add Ta'amu and Samuel to this defense and that would be a championship quality defense.IMHO

Plus you would have $$$$ to go out and sign an impact FA WR. Plus you would still have all of your draft picks. Including 1st and 2nd rd picks to ad to the OL/WR etc...
Old 10-24-2011   #37
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's scary how much you and I think alike. I agree few FA are worth their contract, see Chris Johnson and Tennessee. Do you think Bud's looking over that new contract trying to find a loophole to get some of his money back? I'd try for an injury related sweet deal with Mario and if that doesn't work then franchise him. Either scenario gives us a contract in the Texans favor and makes Mario much more tradeable. The only bad thing is that Mario keeps having nagging injuries which other teams will be very aware of. Also remember that Cinncinati now has multiple early round picks. I'm not sure of their needs but they might be an option as well. It's still a big IF but if we could trade Mario and get maybe a 1st & 2nd round pick for him from a team worse than we are, we'd have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and could fill lots of holes with quality talent. The imagination and possibilities are endless.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #38
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:

Well yeah he got paid a lot this year and last, but 4 million is about what he was making the first 4 years of his deal. It was 6 years, 54 million 26 guaranteed, with 8 of that tied up in incentives. Not sure if he got those incentives, but if he didn't, 7-8 million a year on average seems reasonable. Wouldn't want to pay more than that if I'm a GM, but I bet some team offers him 10+ a year. Don't think it will be the Texans if they plan on re-signing Foster to a big deal, and then re-upping Rackers and Myers won't be too cheap.
Old 10-24-2011   #39
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

That would give the Texans unprecidented chance to fill the holes and add depth.

You want Ta'amu you could offer a team a 1st and a high 2nd to move up and get him. Add Ta'amu and Samuel to this defense and that would be a championship quality defense.IMHO

Plus you would have $$$$ to go out and sign an impact FA WR. Plus you would still have all of your draft picks. Including 1st and 2nd rd picks to ad to the OL/WR etc...
That would be quite a haul, but I don't think the Eagles need a DE. They just signed Babin for 5 years, and he's looking good in their defense (as far as sacks go anyways). Trent Cole, the other DE, is signed through 2014. I doubt they would be looking to replace either of them with a high cost guy like MW. The Eagles need 4-3 linebackers desperately, so I think the only guys they would be interested in from our squad are Cushing or Ryans.
Old 10-24-2011   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Not sure if Eagles would take Mario for their 4-3. They signed DE Jason Babin 5 years $28million and DT Cullen Jenkins 5 yrs $25m. Their 2010 first round pick DE Brandon Graham is to return off PUP (right knee surgery) soon. He'd have to lay DE. They just signed defensive coach Jim Washburn from Titans & don't see a change to 3-4. Of course they do lie to pressure the QB and Mario may be to good to pass as a DE.

I am thinking a move to Patriots would offer best deal for both teams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read