Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-20-2011   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Badboy, Beerlover and rmartin65's 2012 Combo Mock

After a couple weeks of deliberation and countless messages, we have finally hammered out a mock for the 2012 draft. Hopefully you all like it, and give us your thoughts!

Round 1: Washington NT Alameda Ta’amu, 6’3” 330 lbs

Texans add a big to interior helping plug middle against the run & collapse the pocket from the inside. We felt Ta'Amu was the top senior prospect available in this draft for the nose tackle position mid-late first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Has excellent quickness, feet & balance to redirect & transfer weight with mass/strength to demand double teams. Yet he is more of a one gap penetrator so he fits Wade Phillips system. Good football instincts, but needs to locate the ball quicker, be more consistent & violent with his hands to stack & shed. If he continues to learn, smart kid/student, he will become a great nose tackle for the Houston Texans.

Round 2: Baylor WR Kendall Wright, 5’11” 190 lbs

Kendall was the school's all-time leading receiver before his senior year even began & is a pure, athletic #2 possession WR that would fit in nicely opposite Andre Johnson. Excellent hands, can make adjustment to the ball, runs crisp routes, explosive speed (4.42, with reports as low as 4.32) which creates separation as well deep routes stretching the field. Doesn't hurt that he has the build of a RB (which should really aid his durability in the NFL) vertical leaping ability (reported 42") & timing to snag high throws @ apex of flight. Again this is a mid-late 2nd rd. pick (don't know yet what Texans record of draft slot will be) another Senior with experience catching the ball from RG3 a very strong arm thrower & future first round QB pick.

Round 3: Vanderbilt CB Casey Hayward, 5’11” 190 lbs

Hayward has been a real eye-opener this season, but that in no way makes him a one year wonder. Hayward has been a solid starter since his sophomore year, and has compiled 12 picks thus far in his career. He is more than just a ball hawk, however. Hayward is a willing tackler as well, and does not take unnecessary gambles in order to make plays on the ball. We see Hayward as being a future number 2, allowing Harris, Carmichael and KJ to round out the depth chart next year.

Round 4: Kentucky SS/FS/CB Winston Guy, 6’1” 215 lbs

Prior to 2011 coach created "hybrid" saftey/linebacker role to showcase Guy's speed and ability to get to the ball. After 6 games he has 67 Tackles, 1 sack & 2 INTs. 2010: 105 tackles, 2 breakups & 3 INTs so he is consistent. He has played all positions listed, hard hitter with good coverage skills and plays well against the run. Dream player for Phillips allowing a roster CB and S to be cut. I've watched Guy for 2 years & he is real deal. Moving up charts from 6th to 4th round.

Round 5: Baylor OC/RG Philip Blake, 6’3” 320 lbs

Snaps to QB Robert Griffin 3 Heisman Candidate. Blake excells in both passing and running game with good anchor. Hometown Toronto and he played for Tyler, TX Jr. College prior to Baylor. In 2009 as a sophomore started all 12 G as RT. 2010 he replaced Center JD Walton 3rd round Denver & started all 13 games. nfldraftscout.com ranks him 6th best center in nation and can play OG as well as RT. *Interesting note: in 2010 he had 82 knockdowns. Super strong with good feet and balance.

Round 6: Arkansas DE Jake Bequette, 6’5” 270 lbs

Bequette is everything you want in a player- athletic, hardworking, and loyal to both his teammates and his team. Bequette shows perfect size for a 3-4 DE, and possess the required strength and above average and agility for the position. He has shown himself to be an explosive player, entering this season with 13.5 sacks, 21 TFLs and 19 QB hurries. This year Bequette has been hampered by a hamstring injury, but is expected to return to full health in the next week or so. Bequette would sit behind Smith and Watt for a couple years, but I truly believe that Bequette could be a starter down the line.

Round 7: Traded for Mason

EDIT- Mods, please correct the title. I accidentally added a g to my name.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Badboy, Beerlover and rmarting65's 2012 Combo Mock

Four picks on defense. Three offense including Mason. Nice balance, fits strength of senior class. Now if we included underclassman (yet to declare) that would change things up a bit.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Ta'amu, obviously love this pick he just makes to much sense for the Texans. Great pick.
2. Wright, I like the position chosen but I think we could get a better WR here by selecting Jones or Criner. Both are tall, decent speed, and athletic.
3. Hayward, I like the player but seriously doubt that he's available in the late 3rd round, that's wishful thinking. CB's are highly valued and he's already listed as a 2nd round pick by Walterfootball and with his interceptions this year could move into the 1st round. Great player but not realistic in the late 3rd round.
4. Guy, I like the player and position chosen. With his size I'd put him at FS/SS behind Manning and Quin and the fact that he makes Barber expendable means he's a keeper. Good pick, if he takes Barbers place on the roster then it's a great pick.
5. Blake, I think he's a bit of a project player but I'm fine with that in the 5th round, I think he projects more as RG than C. If he takes Briesel's position on the line then he's a great pick.
6. Bequette, I don't know anything about this guy but as a 3-4 DE I'd like him to add approx. 15-20 lbs. which with his height shouldn't be a problem. Probably makes the practice squad for a year but if he makes the team and sends Bulman packing then he's a great pick.

Overall it's a good draft. I like the positions chosen with the exception of the fact there are no LB's and we need ILB and OLB depth. I'd have chosen some different players in a couple positions but overall not bad.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
1. Ta'amu, obviously love this pick he just makes to much sense for the Texans. Great pick.
2. Wright, I like the position chosen but I think we could get a better WR here by selecting Jones or Criner. Both are tall, decent speed, and athletic.
3. Hayward, I like the player but seriously doubt that he's available in the late 3rd round, that's wishful thinking. CB's are highly valued and he's already listed as a 2nd round pick by Walterfootball and with his interceptions this year could move into the 1st round. Great player but not realistic in the late 3rd round.
4. Guy, I like the player and position chosen. With his size I'd put him at FS/SS behind Manning and Quin and the fact that he makes Barber expendable means he's a keeper. Good pick, if he takes Barbers place on the roster then it's a great pick.
5. Blake, I think he's a bit of a project player but I'm fine with that in the 5th round, I think he projects more as RG than C. If he takes Briesel's position on the line then he's a great pick.
6. Bequette, I don't know anything about this guy but as a 3-4 DE I'd like him to add approx. 15-20 lbs. which with his height shouldn't be a problem. Probably makes the practice squad for a year but if he makes the team and sends Bulman packing then he's a great pick.

Overall it's a good draft. I like the positions chosen with the exception of the fact there are no LB's and we need ILB and OLB depth. I'd have chosen some different players in a couple positions but overall not bad.
1). Too much sense is a problem.
2). Dwight Jones is ranked #18th & Juron Criner #22nd by ProFootball Weekly. Both run in the 4.5 area but thats top end long speed, not explosive in & out of breaks like Wright who reportedly can touch a 4.3 that speed Texans need but don't have.
3). Hayword has third rd. written all over him, out of the senior cb prospects he is ranked 13th by ProFootball Weekly, that's without adding a group of talented underclassmen. Two things hold him back, one is speed, timed 4.55 & short arms. His saving grace is he has good instincts, we could use those but not worthy of a 2nd.
4). Barber is gone with or without this Guy. We're also hoping more than another special teams player, although if he were it would be as the returner. Have always been looking for a pure center fielder with ball hawking instincts.
5). We targeted replacing Brisel so your right on with that one. But tell me who is going to be the back-up Center if Myers goes down? In that sense he would also go to top of the pack as his back-up as well giving you excellent value/versatility.
6). This pick is obviously subject to change, it is the 6th rd. But with Jamison shining in Mario's absence @ OLB Texans need a developmental 5 tech. He has a high motor like Watt, upside is there along with work ethic so good chance he does dispel Bulman once & for all.

Overall good review, just a little futher explanation how different guys see things. thank you

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-20-2011   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
1). Too much sense is a problem.
2). Dwight Jones is ranked #18th & Juron Criner #22nd by ProFootball Weekly. Both run in the 4.5 area but thats top end long speed, not explosive in & out of breaks like Wright who reportedly can touch a 4.3 that speed Texans need but don't have.
3). Hayword has third rd. written all over him, out of the senior cb prospects he is ranked 13th by ProFootball Weekly, that's without adding a group of talented underclassmen. Two things hold him back, one is speed, timed 4.55 & short arms. His saving grace is he has good instincts, we could use those but not worthy of a 2nd.
4). Barber is gone with or without this Guy. We're also hoping more than another special teams player, although if he were it would be as the returner. Have always been looking for a pure center fielder with ball hawking instincts.
5). We targeted replacing Brisel so your right on with that one. But tell me who is going to be the back-up Center if Myers goes down? In that sense he would also go to top of the pack as his back-up as well giving you excellent value/versatility.
6). This pick is obviously subject to change, it is the 6th rd. But with Jamison shining in Mario's absence @ OLB Texans need a developmental 5 tech. He has a high motor like Watt, upside is there along with work ethic so good chance he does dispel Bulman once & for all.

Overall good review, just a little futher explanation how different guys see things. thank you

1. Makes to much sense, means that he's a no brainer pick that's perfect for the team, not a bad thing. Sorry for the confusion.
2. The problem with using Profootballweekly and some other sites is that their rankings might be months old. It doesn't say, so their rankings might have been made up prior to the season starting. That's why I like Walterfootball because he updates his rankings periodically throughout the season and tells you when they were updated. Speed isn't everything for a WR and I'd much rather have a big athletic guy like Jones or Criner catching passes in the redzone. Tall athletic WR's is a trend in the NFL.
3. Again with profootballweekly, when was their ranking posted or updated plus the top ranked CB's are juniors and most likely will come out. On Walterfootball, Hayward is the 6th best CB amongst all draft eligible CB's and it was updated 10-01-11, after the season began and there was performance to judge him against.
4. If Guy can handle PR/KR duties he just might make Jacoby and Barber expendable, that would be great.
5. I like Blake just think that he needs to play more than just C to make the team, most C and OG are interchangeable. You just have to be smarter to play C since you call all the blocking assignments etc... I think Smith is the backup C now, not sure.
6. I agree with the need for another backup DE, making Bulman expendable is a very good thing.

I still think you need to factor in at least 1 LB somewhere. In a 3-4 system a team needs alot of LB's and we need better depth.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Makes to much sense, means that he's a no brainer pick that's perfect for the team, not a bad thing. Sorry for the confusion.
2. The problem with using Profootballweekly and some other sites is that their rankings might be months old. It doesn't say, so their rankings might have been made up prior to the season starting. That's why I like Walterfootball because he updates his rankings periodically throughout the season and tells you when they were updated. Speed isn't everything for a WR and I'd much rather have a big athletic guy like Jones or Criner catching passes in the redzone. Tall athletic WR's is a trend in the NFL.
3. Again with profootballweekly, when was their ranking posted or updated plus the top ranked CB's are juniors and most likely will come out. On Walterfootball, Hayward is the 6th best CB amongst all draft eligible CB's and it was updated 10-01-11, after the season began and there was performance to judge him against.
4. If Guy can handle PR/KR duties he just might make Jacoby and Barber expendable, that would be great.
5. I like Blake just think that he needs to play more than just C to make the team, most C and OG are interchangeable. You just have to be smarter to play C since you call all the blocking assignments etc... I think Smith is the backup C now, not sure.
6. I agree with the need for another backup DE, making Bulman expendable is a very good thing.

I still think you need to factor in at least 1 LB somewhere. In a 3-4 system a team needs alot of LB's and we need better depth.
I do use Walter but he has Poe as a 4-5 pick and that ain't happening. For the last 6 weeks he has listed Centers Ben Jones as #4 & #6 and Ben Habern #5 & #7. The section was updated September 15th and should have been corrected.
Just saying that all sites and mocks including ours are tools to be reviewed and used or discarded.

#2. Our concensus is we need a WR2 that can stretch the field with his speed and catch the pass when targeted. We don't need another red zone target necessarily. We also don't need another Walter (short field receiver). Just our preference. One half thru season he has 757 yds extrapolates to over 1500 yds. In 5 of 6 games he has a pass of 20 yards or more, the 6th had a 19 yd. His lowest seasonal avg yardage per pass in 4 years was 11.2 with 13.8 avg this season. He catches for a passing QB (like Schaub)that is a Heisman candidate so he is under media attention 24-7. I'm not just a stats guy and he plays really well every Saturday.

#3. I agree with you that Hayward should go higher but I agree with BL that enough CBs (including early outs) could push him down. We will see.

#5. We have no LG back up so Smith can't relieve Myers imo. This is a gamble that Kubiak took and has worked so far that Myers does not miss games. That has to catch up sometime. Blake has started @ right tackle and center. He can play 3 positions which is what we need especially at this round.
6. We discussed ILB, OL and FB in 6th but feel our guy is BPA especially when he might be a Watt clone.

I am not defending the mock just giving more insight hopefully to our choices.
Appreciate your comments.
Old 10-20-2011   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I went another way in my 1st mock. Believing that fixing the offense was the quickest way to improve the team. However I think this mock is a well thought out mock.

1. Love this pick, hope he's still there when the Texans pick.
2. I went with Jones, but can understand the reasoning behind Wright and would be thriled if he was the pick.
3.i took Boykin because of his KR/PR ability, Hayward reminds me of former Vandy CB Lewis. That's not a bad thing.
4.Dont know much about Guy, But anything that gets Barber of the roster is a good thing
5. Love this pick, hope Blake is there, I think he can be what Caldwell was supposed to be.
6. Bequette, love this pick.

Once again, great job, I will try to rep you guys. Thanks for the time and effort put in.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2011   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Badboy, Beerlover and rmartin65's 2012 Combo Mock

rm65 cant rep you, but will when I can. I'm really looking forward to your small school evals. I always learn quite a bit.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:

Guess I kinda lost count? Texans have like 9 LB's on roster with a couple stashed away on PS? I know you need LB depth to run a 3-4 but hardly seems a priority given several layers of talent already on hand. If however a perfect fit falls to the Texans I would not be opposed but you also must consider that a 5 tech, in a 3-4 bout trumps everything except a pass rushing OLB.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-21-2011   #10
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
After a couple weeks of deliberation and countless messages, we have finally hammered out a mock for the 2012 draft. Hopefully you all like it, and give us your thoughts!

Round 1: Washington NT Alameda Ta’amu, 6’3” 330 lbs

Texans add a big to interior helping plug middle against the run & collapse the pocket from the inside. We felt Ta'Amu was the top senior prospect available in this draft for the nose tackle position mid-late first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Has excellent quickness, feet & balance to redirect & transfer weight with mass/strength to demand double teams. Yet he is more of a one gap penetrator so he fits Wade Phillips system. Good football instincts, but needs to locate the ball quicker, be more consistent & violent with his hands to stack & shed. If he continues to learn, smart kid/student, he will become a great nose tackle for the Houston Texans.

Round 2: Baylor WR Kendall Wright, 5’11” 190 lbs

Kendall was the school's all-time leading receiver before his senior year even began & is a pure, athletic #2 possession WR that would fit in nicely opposite Andre Johnson. Excellent hands, can make adjustment to the ball, runs crisp routes, explosive speed (4.42, with reports as low as 4.32) which creates separation as well deep routes stretching the field. Doesn't hurt that he has the build of a RB (which should really aid his durability in the NFL) vertical leaping ability (reported 42") & timing to snag high throws @ apex of flight. Again this is a mid-late 2nd rd. pick (don't know yet what Texans record of draft slot will be) another Senior with experience catching the ball from RG3 a very strong arm thrower & future first round QB pick.

Round 3: Vanderbilt CB Casey Hayward, 5’11” 190 lbs

Hayward has been a real eye-opener this season, but that in no way makes him a one year wonder. Hayward has been a solid starter since his sophomore year, and has compiled 12 picks thus far in his career. He is more than just a ball hawk, however. Hayward is a willing tackler as well, and does not take unnecessary gambles in order to make plays on the ball. We see Hayward as being a future number 2, allowing Harris, Carmichael and KJ to round out the depth chart next year.

Round 4: Kentucky SS/FS/CB Winston Guy, 6’1” 215 lbs

Prior to 2011 coach created "hybrid" saftey/linebacker role to showcase Guy's speed and ability to get to the ball. After 6 games he has 67 Tackles, 1 sack & 2 INTs. 2010: 105 tackles, 2 breakups & 3 INTs so he is consistent. He has played all positions listed, hard hitter with good coverage skills and plays well against the run. Dream player for Phillips allowing a roster CB and S to be cut. I've watched Guy for 2 years & he is real deal. Moving up charts from 6th to 4th round.

Round 5: Baylor OC/RG Philip Blake, 6’3” 320 lbs

Snaps to QB Robert Griffin 3 Heisman Candidate. Blake excells in both passing and running game with good anchor. Hometown Toronto and he played for Tyler, TX Jr. College prior to Baylor. In 2009 as a sophomore started all 12 G as RT. 2010 he replaced Center JD Walton 3rd round Denver & started all 13 games. nfldraftscout.com ranks him 6th best center in nation and can play OG as well as RT. *Interesting note: in 2010 he had 82 knockdowns. Super strong with good feet and balance.

Round 6: Arkansas DE Jake Bequette, 6’5” 270 lbs

Bequette is everything you want in a player- athletic, hardworking, and loyal to both his teammates and his team. Bequette shows perfect size for a 3-4 DE, and possess the required strength and above average and agility for the position. He has shown himself to be an explosive player, entering this season with 13.5 sacks, 21 TFLs and 19 QB hurries. This year Bequette has been hampered by a hamstring injury, but is expected to return to full health in the next week or so. Bequette would sit behind Smith and Watt for a couple years, but I truly believe that Bequette could be a starter down the line.

Round 7: Traded for Mason

EDIT- Mods, please correct the title. I accidentally added a g to my name.
Badboy, Beerlover and rmartin65, nice job. I don't know much about college players but, I liked the positions you focused on. I would liked it more if you picked ILB somewhere in the mid rds. Is there any good ILB mid to late rds prospect/s?

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

With Schaub a free agent after 2012, a QB has to be considered in the early rounds.
Old 10-21-2011   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
With Schaub a free agent after 2012, a QB has to be considered in the early rounds.
We strongly considered RG3, but decided to go another direction. QB is a need, but we did decided to take guys that would have an instant impact. Now, I cant speak for my mock partners here, but I would trade Schaub and a first, maybe even 2 firsts, for Luck. He is that good, and I would grab a NT later, and then see what happens.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #13
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans can resolve their CB issues prior to the draft, then going OG in the third makes a lot of sense here. Other than that, the proposed mock draft looks pretty good.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
If the Texans can resolve their CB issues prior to the draft, then going OG in the third makes a lot of sense here. Other than that, the proposed mock draft looks pretty good.
Just for discussion sake, list the third round guards that will beat out Briesel. It ain't happening. As Rmartin65 said we want impact players for 2012 that have good chance at starting. Our 3rd, unless someone on roster does a 180 and steps up, could be the starting CB2. I am not against starting a rookie. KJ just did not have the skills sets for CB1 for Texans 2010. Thanks for your comments & reading our mock.
Old 10-21-2011   #15
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just for discussion sake, list the third round guards that will beat out Briesel. It ain't happening. As Rmartin65 said we want impact players for 2012 that have good chance at starting. Our 3rd, unless someone on roster does a 180 and steps up, could be the starting CB2. I am not against starting a rookie. KJ just did not have the skills sets for CB1 for Texans 2010. Thanks for your comments & reading our mock.
Along the same lines, feel free to name the 3rd round CB's that will beat our Jackson or Allen. Maybe there is one or two, but there is no way to know for sure.

Like I said, the Texans should go interior OL in the 3rd, IF they resolve their CB issues prior to the draft.
Old 10-21-2011   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Badboy, Beerlover and rmartin65, nice job. I don't know much about college players but, I liked the positions you focused on. I would liked it more if you picked ILB somewhere in the mid rds. Is there any good ILB mid to late rds prospect/s?

Go Texans!!!
Thanks for compliment! We are not experts just love Texans and enjoy researching who might fit the roster and teams philosophy.
We each have area we prefer to watch (I am a DB guy)but the main thing is 65, BL and I work well together. We strongly debate and criticize each other's opinions and choices to reach a consensus that offers best mock. We do not think we are pros, just fans having funs and hopefully making thought based suggestions. Now to your question.

Burfict is a 1st round but is a personal penalty flag waiting to drop. Last weekend he had 2 or maybe 3. He then was in an altercation with a LB who was paying him back for a late hit. The other player got the flag but what if Burfict's earlier penalty resulted in him being injured by the LB? IMO he has no team concept. DOn't see Kubiak drafting him, period.

Manti Te'o I really like his play, but a 1st round guy.

Dont'a Hightower, I have him rated higher than most in 1st & mocked him early but he would not beat out Cush or Ryans first season & we mocked impact players.

Kuechly 1st round but 235 lbs. No thanks.

Tank Carder lower pick but again only 237

Tanner Brock TCU was on my earlier mock in 4th but out for year due to injury.
Old 10-21-2011   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
We strongly considered RG3, but decided to go another direction. QB is a need, but we did decided to take guys that would have an instant impact. Now, I cant speak for my mock partners here, but I would trade Schaub and a first, maybe even 2 firsts, for Luck. He is that good, and I would grab a NT later, and then see what happens.

That is what I'd do...

Having a QB of the Caliber that Luck is projected to be is an astronomical boost to a football team. I'd take the gamble...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Along the same lines, feel free to name the 3rd round CB's that will beat our Jackson or Allen. Maybe there is one or two, but there is no way to know for sure.

Like I said, the Texans should go interior OL in the 3rd, IF they resolve their CB issues prior to the draft.
Uh, look at our 3rd round choice. Watch him play and review his stats. We were looking at impact guys and if we did not think he could beat out the dynamic duo of KJ & Allen we would have gone elsewhere.
ANother player that could start is Xavier Rhodes. Coryell Judie was another leading candidate from Texas A&M until he was injured.

No way to be sure on Luck's luck either, still I'd take him. A lot of mock talk is just personal opinion and we try to support our choices by what we see. I am interested in your thoughts on how Texans can resolce their CB issue other than draft. That would be sweet. IMO there are no free agent candidates and Asante Samuel has been someone I've advocated for a trade scenario.
Old 10-21-2011   #19
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for compliment! We are not experts just love Texans and enjoy researching who might fit the roster and teams philosophy.
We each have area we prefer to watch (I am a DB guy)but the main thing is 65, BL and I work well together. We strongly debate and criticize each other's opinions and choices to reach a consensus that offers best mock. We do not think we are pros, just fans having funs and hopefully making thought based suggestions. Now to your question.

Burfict is a 1st round but is a personal penalty flag waiting to drop. Last weekend he had 2 or maybe 3. He then was in an altercation with a LB who was paying him back for a late hit. The other player got the flag but what if Burfict's earlier penalty resulted in him being injured by the LB? IMO he has no team concept. DOn't see Kubiak drafting him, period.

Manti Te'o I really like his play, but a 1st round guy.

Dont'a Hightower, I have him rated higher than most in 1st & mocked him early but he would not beat out Cush or Ryans first season & we mocked impact players.

Kuechly 1st round but 235 lbs. No thanks.

Tank Carder lower pick but again only 237

Tanner Brock TCU was on my earlier mock in 4th but out for year due to injury.
We are good with Cush and Ryans(hopefully, continue to improve from injury) and this is why I want us to look into a quality back up guy in mid to late rds that able to come in whenever needed.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #20
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Uh, look at our 3rd round choice. Watch him play and review his stats. We were looking at impact guys and if we did not think he could beat out the dynamic duo of KJ & Allen we would have gone elsewhere.
ANother player that could start is Xavier Rhodes. Coryell Judie was another leading candidate from Texas A&M until he was injured.

No way to be sure on Luck's luck either, still I'd take him. A lot of mock talk is just personal opinion and we try to support our choices by what we see. I am interested in your thoughts on how Texans can resolce their CB issue other than draft. That would be sweet. IMO there are no free agent candidates and Asante Samuel has been someone I've advocated for a trade scenario.
To be honest, I have not looked at it that closely. However, the Jonathan Joseph signing was just exactly the sort of move that I was thinking of. For real, who saw that coming before it was actually announced last year?

You never know. Maybe Rick Smith and company will be able to pull another similar rabbit out of their hats.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read