Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2011   #21
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone else getting sick of teams going up and down ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Kubiak is expected to get the job done. If he cant win just because he has an injured star for a few weeks then he is in the wrong profession. Good coaches get the job done regardless.
Agree with you there. But the way McNair has handled the head coaching situation the last few years leads me to believe he might not feel the same way as us.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #22
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 92750 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He sounds a little doom & gloom to me.
When the sun rises every morning you begin to expect it to be there like clock work.

BTW, I totally get AJ here because I feel the exact same way.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #23
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak hasn't deserved to be saved by excuses for more than two seasons.
Somehow, he still has staunch supporters.

I simply don't get it.
Old 10-20-2011   #24
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

I simply don't get it.
Some simply like the ZB offense he has built here and thinks it could win a SB if it was firing on all cylinders and the defense was better.

I do agree that this is his last hurrah. Barring a playoff run, regardless of blame, McNair has to realize that we all need new hope.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #25
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont care what the other teams are doing.. i just want the Texans to win, '.'

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #26
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I take it you are not a fan of being in the AFC Championship game?

If Kubiak can win 2 playoff games and lose to the other best team in the AFC, would you really want to get rid of him? That is similar to the Chargers firing Marty when he went 14-2.
You are misunderstanding me completely. I, unlike 90% of the fans on this MB, am actually a fan of Kubiak.

If we made it to the playoffs and even won ONE game I would be happy.

I just hear so many people talking about 8-8 and 9-7 records and "backing" our way into the playoffs because Peyton is out (who gives a shit) and how it would somehow underscore our playoff victory or playoff apperance.

Trying not go off into a tangent but basically you would have two contradictory things going on here. One would be another average regular season record that many would be calling for Kubes head on a stake. The other would be our first playoff appearance (and possibly a run deeper into it).

Just bringing up food for thought to those that count everything on regular season records to think about the actual end result no matter how we got there in the first place.
Old 10-20-2011   #27
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
You are misunderstanding me completely. I, unlike 90% of the fans on this MB, am actually a fan of Kubiak.

If we made it to the playoffs and even won ONE game I would be happy.

I just hear so many people talking about 8-8 and 9-7 records and "backing" our way into the playoffs because Peyton is out (who gives a shit) and how it would somehow underscore our playoff victory or playoff apperance.

Trying not go off into a tangent but basically you would have two contradictory things going on here. One would be another average regular season record that many would be calling for Kubes head on a stake. The other would be our first playoff appearance (and possibly a run deeper into it).

Just bringing up food for thought to those that count everything on regular season records to think about the actual end result no matter how we got there in the first place.
I get ya. I hope this explains my stance.

Not making the playoffs is unacceptable to me. New HC is needed.

Backing into the playoffs (8 or 9 wins) and losing that first playoff game is unacceptable to me. New HC is needed.

Hell, winning 12 games and losing that first playoff game is unacceptable to me. New HC is needed.

Backing into the playoffs (8 or 9 wins) and winning 2+ playoff games is acceptable to me.

The gray area is winning 1 playoff game, and losing the 2nd. What do you do there?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2011   #28
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

This team is starting to bore me. I'm no longer excited about watching them like I used to be. Don't get me wrong. I will watch and root for them to win, but, I'm starting to get bored and feel indifferent.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #29
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Anyone else getting sick of teams going up and down ...

Quote:
What happens if we go 8-8 or 9-7 and win a couple in the playoffs and lose in AFC champ game?

Does Kubiak stay?

His regular season sucked and we back into playoffs due to outside circumstances but go deep into the playoffs. What to do, what to do???
If we make a push IN the playoffs, I am ok - it shows they finally learned how to win when it counts (or got damned lucky).

My fear is we back into the playoffs at 8-8 or 9-7 and get destroyed in our first playoff game AND Kubiak gets an extension for making the playoffs.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
On your first point, who knows if he still feels that way? I'm sure the injuries and setbacks they've suffered this season might have tempered his expectations a little.
What's that got to do with anything? Expectations shouldn't really change. A HC is supposed to be able to adjust to things like injuries, that's part of the game, that's why they pay coaches what they pay coaches.

Now if something outside of Kubiak's control were to happen.... say a drought... maybe I can see lowering the bar.

Quote:
Kubiak is expected to get the job done. If he cant win just because he has an injured star for a few weeks then he is in the wrong profession. Good coaches get the job done regardless.
Exactly.
Old 10-20-2011   #31
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Anyone else getting sick of teams going up and down ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
This team is starting to bore me. I'm no longer excited about watching them like I used to be. Don't get me wrong. I will watch and root for them to win, but, I'm starting to get bored and feel indifferent.
Like when we are up against the Saints or Ravens, I sit there waiting for them to eventually lose. It's sad, really....
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

I simply don't get it.
Who are these staunch supporters, I'm curious. I think everyone is being realistic about Kubiak's position now & in the future.

We've got a few guys who moan & whine about past failures, and some guys who are saying it's time to move on from there.... no need repeating the same crap, regardless how true.

But I wouldn't say "staunch supporters"

I really want to know where you put me, because I feel you include me in that group even though I've said several times the man should have been fired this past off-season.
Old 10-20-2011   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Because there should be an asterisk next to that little nugget. 2011 Division Champs*

*Peyton didn't play one snap in 2011.

If that were the case, make no mistake most here would feel this team has not improved at all. I would agree with them and expect 2 additional losses in 2012 (if Manning comes back). Plus with a year under their belts, the Jags & Titans will be stronger, so put down another 2 losses. So that 8-8 will actually be a 4-12 season corrected for the weakness of the division.

If that were the case, you'd basically have no chance of success with Gary Kubiak calling the shots in 2012.

Old 10-20-2011   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
That defense has kept it interesting for me this year. James Casey had one game & Tate has had some moments.

Foster's 116 receiving game was nice as well.

AAMoF, I think three of our last 6 games have been on NFL replay, meaning they were among the three best games that weekend. Saints, Steelers, & Raiders. Sucks that we came out 1-2 through those games, but they were pretty exciting.

Old 10-20-2011   #35
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who are these staunch supporters, I'm curious. I think everyone is being realistic about Kubiak's position now & in the future.

We've got a few guys who moan & whine about past failures, and some guys who are saying it's time to move on from there.... no need repeating the same crap, regardless how true.

But I wouldn't say "staunch supporters"

I really want to know where you put me, because I feel you include me in that group even though I've said several times the man should have been fired this past off-season.
Yes, you certainly say you think Kubiak should have been fired. The problem is, except when you make that specific statement most of your posts are making excuses for his past failures, defending his current season performance, or painting rosy scenarios of an undefeated Texans future.

The inconsistency is so obvious I think you are being deliberately obtuse about it just to generate discussion and have an out when *gasp* somehow the Texans don't win their next ten games. Or nine. Or eight. Whenever beating that drum no longer makes "sense".
Old 10-20-2011   #36
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That defense has kept it interesting for me this year. James Casey had one game & Tate has had some moments.

Foster's 116 receiving game was nice as well.

AAMoF, I think three of our last 6 games have been on NFL replay, meaning they were among the three best games that weekend. Saints, Steelers, & Raiders. Sucks that we came out 1-2 through those games, but they were pretty exciting.

Good point. The defense has been exciting to watch at times.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Yes, you certainly say you think Kubiak should have been fired. The problem is, except when you make that specific statement most of your posts are making excuses for his past failures, defending his current season performance, or painting rosy scenarios of an undefeated Texans future.
There are some good arguments for getting rid of Kubiak. I usually side with those, & there have been times when I have posted them myself.

Then there are those hater-arguments that are created just for Kubiak. I personally feel I have been more consistent than the haters, because I don't hold Kubiak to a higher standard than I hold a Mike Singletary, or Hugh Jackson, or whoever.

If wins against the Dolphins & the Manning-less Colts don't count for Kubiak, wins against Seattle, Cincinnati, and Denver don't count for Harbaugh or Jackson.

If a loss to the Ravens is unacceptable for Kubiak, it's unacceptable for Schwartz, Ryan, Harbaugh, & Peyton to lose against New England, The Jets, or the Cowboys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
The inconsistency is so obvious I think you are being deliberately obtuse about it just to generate discussion and have an out when *gasp* somehow the Texans don't win their next ten games. Or nine. Or eight. Whenever beating that drum no longer makes "sense".
generate discussion..... yes, that's why I'm here. If I want to have a circle jerk about something I have no control over, I'd hang out with family.

& I'm not giving myself an out. I'm trying to frame the conversation.

Jim Caldwell, is he a good head coach? Personally I don't think his past history tells us one way or the other. But if he can pull off an 8-8 or 9-7 season with the team he has now.... you're damn right he's a good coach. If he wins the next 10, how can you argue that?

It sucks he's without Peyton, is that an excuse, or a reason?
Old 10-20-2011   #38
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not making the playoffs is unacceptable to me. New HC is needed.

Backing into the playoffs (8 or 9 wins) and losing that first playoff game is unacceptable to me. New HC is needed.

Hell, winning 12 games and losing that first playoff game is unacceptable to me. New HC is needed.

Backing into the playoffs (8 or 9 wins) and winning 2+ playoff games is acceptable to me.

The gray area is winning 1 playoff game, and losing the 2nd. What do you do there?
I agree totally. On your gray area, it has to come down to how you lose. Blow out, a bunch of mental mistakes, bad coaching, poor execution, etc.
Old 10-20-2011   #39
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not making the playoffs is unacceptable to me. New HC is needed.- agreed

Backing into the playoffs (8 or 9 wins) and losing that first playoff game is unacceptable to me. New HC is needed.-agreed

Hell, winning 12 games and losing that first playoff game is unacceptable to me. New HC is needed. disagreed

Backing into the playoffs (8 or 9 wins) and winning 2+ playoff games is acceptable to me. -agreed

-Have no idea what to do there. Depends on how we lose, who we lose to, final record of regular season.
Old 10-20-2011   #40
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are some good arguments for getting rid of Kubiak. I usually side with those, & there have been times when I have posted them myself.

Then there are those hater-arguments that are created just for Kubiak. I personally feel I have been more consistent than the haters, because I don't hold Kubiak to a higher standard than I hold a Mike Singletary, or Hugh Jackson, or whoever.

If wins against the Dolphins & the Manning-less Colts don't count for Kubiak, wins against Seattle, Cincinnati, and Denver don't count for Harbaugh or Jackson.

If a loss to the Ravens is unacceptable for Kubiak, it's unacceptable for Schwartz, Ryan, Harbaugh, & Peyton to lose against New England, The Jets, or the Cowboys.

generate discussion..... yes, that's why I'm here. If I want to have a circle jerk about something I have no control over, I'd hang out with family.

& I'm not giving myself an out. I'm trying to frame the conversation.

Jim Caldwell, is he a good head coach? Personally I don't think his past history tells us one way or the other. But if he can pull off an 8-8 or 9-7 season with the team he has now.... you're damn right he's a good coach. If he wins the next 10, how can you argue that?

It sucks he's without Peyton, is that an excuse, or a reason?
You wondered why people think you are pro Kubiak, I answered. I wasn't trying to start an argument about it. So a couple of final points and you can have the last word to tell me why I don't know what I'm talking about.

1) I want Kubiak gone. However, that doesn't put me in the ten percent that "holds him to a different standard". I don't go to the detail to blame him for fourth and one calls, etc. I see that he has been a little below average for his tenure here. He has one season that was two whole games better than Capers' best season. Last year was worse. He has had plenty of time, isn't progressing, and in a competition it is get better or be replaced. I guess I should stop reading your posts, since they seem to be directed to defend everything to those few who attack everything, not to us more moderate people lumped into some global "Kubiak hater" group.

2) This is just my opinion, but I find these "defend everything" posts just as tiresome the "attack everything" posts. I get tired of people nitpicking every single play that doesn't go right as an example of his being a bad coach. Any play can blow up; it's the body of work that counts. I'm just as tired of hearing about injuries, bad calls, and shortened pre-seasons. These are common across the league and every bump in the road shouldn't send the Texans into the ditch.

So I'm just going to ignore the posts from the two extremes. It will make a lot less reading, because those few posters do most of the posting right now. I'm sure it won't break any hearts if I don't read much of this drivel.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read