Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2011   #21
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Let's say the worst happens and Kubs is gone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I will say something in Kubiak's defense. His teams have never, ever, quit on him. There's something to be said for that.
If they haven't been quitting, then they've been forgetting how to play. Either won't get you very far into the playoffs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #22
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Let's say the worst happens and Kubs is gone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
....Does that mean GM Rick Smith is gone too?
I personally would like to see stats. I FEEL like so many draft picks have been a bust, but it could be normal for the league.

For each draft year, I would like to see % of players drafted who are on the roster in year 3 for Houston v. the league.

Yes, this will be skewed by carer ending injuries, us hanging onto people who have no business being ona roster, etc., but it would help me decide how I feel about Smith.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #23
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
I will say something in Kubiak's defense. His teams have never, ever, quit on him. There's something to be said for that.
'cause the kids know they'll be around the following year to run with the coach. May not quit, but do just enough to get by.

As for the OP - the two are seperate. In my utopian world - as soon as Bobby Mac sees it heading down the (same) track again, he'd be searching for a GM at that point during the season. That way, he's ready at the end of the season to launch the GM first... if he can find someone better, which I hope he would.

That GM would be brought in immediately after the regular season ends, if possible, and job one is to find a true head coach.

That's utopian.

Realistically, I see if we go down the same track again - I see Smith staying and Kubiak launched or vice versa... depending on which one makes it to Bob's pant leg first. I don't think it'll be both launched.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #24
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

If we fail Rick smith and Kubes should both be fired and all the coaches Kubes and rick hand picked and all of the front office

But they will Prob Keep Phillips and the coaches he brought in on the D side

and some of his players has well

TJ Yates
Vickers
ward
Hollidy
Bryant johnson
Jones
Mason
Kevin walter
Grahram
Brisles
Myers
Winston
wade smith

and send matt schaub to da bench or trade him
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
They've never quit on him, they've never turned on each other, & they (other than Dunta) all tote the company line.

There's something to be said about that. The only way that happens is if they buy what he's selling. So there is obviously another side of Kubiak that we aren't seeing. Not camp cuddle-up or anything like that. but respect, major respect.

I bet they've got a major "us against the world" attitude going on in there.... sooner or later it's going to pay off.
Old 10-19-2011   #26
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 76006 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Realistically, I see if we go down the same track again - I see Smith staying and Kubiak launched or vice versa... depending on which one makes it to Bob's pant leg first. I don't think it'll be both launched.
This is my fear.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #27
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2070 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They've never quit on him, they've never turned on each other, & they (other than Dunta) all tote the company line.

There's something to be said about that. The only way that happens is if they buy what he's selling. So there is obviously another side of Kubiak that we aren't seeing. Not camp cuddle-up or anything like that. but respect, major respect.

I bet they've got a major "us against the world" attitude going on in there.... sooner or later it's going to pay off.
This is a total mind****. I remember how vehemently they defended Kubiak back in '09 when they were 5-7. Then they came out and slaughtered the Seahawks, and all of them in their post game statements were talking about how Kubiak is a guy they'll fight to keep, etc.

Winning would be the ultimate testament to that, which they did the last four games that season. But we haven't seen anything since. Granted, this season isn't over yet; but I would really like to see how much they care about their coach by winning. Although it's kind of hard when your head coach is arguably the biggest reason you lose some of these games.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2011   #28
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think picking your HC before your GM is just dumb. This entire regime was built in an assbackwards way.
Well, Bobby already has Kubiak's succesor on staff. So what does that tell you about Smith's future? You have to assume he stays because of the "great" draft we had this year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #29
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Well, Bobby already has Kubiak's succesor on staff. So what does that tell you about Smith's future? You have to assume he stays because of the "great" draft we had this year.
Wade? He's our DC. If you are picking your DC based on getting a coach to replace your current coach, you are again engaging in bassackward management.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #30
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 76006 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wade? He's our DC. If you are picking your DC based on getting a coach to replace your current coach, you are again engaging in bassackward management.
Exactly! That's another thing I fear here........as you pointed out, this wouldn't be the first time the Texans have done it backwards.

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 10-19-2011   #31
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think they picked up Phillips as an "I may want this guy to HC our team" but more based on how good he's done with really terrible defenses before.
Old 10-19-2011   #32
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The bad news is they ain't playing the world , they play the Titans .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #33
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm really trying to get off the Kubiak threads, but I don't entirely agree with this. I think, if not exactly "quitting on him", the team lost confidence in Kubiak's ability to lead them to better things. I think this occurred after the disappointment of the 9-7 season. The team was set up to do better than that and inexplicably failed. The regression last season could not have helped the matter.

While they might not be quitting, they certainly might be playing with a lack of confidence in their leadership.

========

On another matter, and please don't take this wrong but it made me chuckle. Idioms are like rock lyrics....

Wouldn't "toe the line" make more sense?
Old 10-19-2011   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Wouldn't "toe the line" make more sense?

Nazi!
Old 10-19-2011   #35
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nazi!
Guard: Are you able to see that white line painted on the floor directly behind you, 655321?

Alex: Yes, sir.

Guard: Then your toes belong on-the-other-side-of-it!

----A Clockwork Orange

That guard certainly looked and acted fascist...
Old 10-19-2011   #36
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just as tired of losing as the rest of you, but have you thought of the fact that if we fire one, or both, we will be back on a 3 year rebuilding cycle again? I, for one, shudder to even think of that.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #37
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I'm just as tired of losing as the rest of you, but have you thought of the fact that if we fire one, or both, we will be back on a 3 year rebuilding cycle again? I, for one, shudder to even think of that.
I used to think that way myself. But after five, now possibly six years of the same old shit, I'm ready for the rebuild. If nothing else, we'll have someone new to blame.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #38
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I used to think that way myself. But after five, now possibly six years of the same old shit, I'm ready for the rebuild. If nothing else, we'll have someone new to blame.
EXACTLY!

Quote:
I hear ya man, but think if we commited and started that move years ago....we would be that much closer.

You have to ask yourself how many more years of being mediocre can you take?

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 10-19-2011   #39
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So be it jax wasxin rebuild mode 2 and they won more games then us last year
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #40
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure isn't taking other teams that long to rebuild.

We have the talent. No excuses.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read