Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2011   #1
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 71984 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Let's say the worst happens and Kubs is gone....

....Does that mean GM Rick Smith is gone too?

I would have thought that was automatic like a bunch of you probably do so I know it may sound like a dumb question. The only reason I bring it up is that while listening to McClain on his Wednesday morning appearence on 610 this morning he said that apparently Bob McNair said that he does not view Kubiak and Smith as one and the same.

He essentially implied, that McNair implied that it's possible Kube could be gone in a scenario but Smith stays or vice versa, so this is what caused me to bring this up.

For as much as everyone bashes McClain he is deep in with this team and FO and has been around a while so I at least think about what he says and don't just automatically scoff at what he says.

All I can say is it is not solving much to keep part of the problem if that move needs to be done. Get rid of both if you get rid of one you know. Unfortunately I can see McNair totally doing this.

Anyway, before anyone tries to twist my words, I AM NOT saying I think this season is over, we suck, etc., etc., etc...... But let's face it, we have seen a lot of this song and dance so far before and most of us here are tired of Kubes, so I thought I would bring this up from what I heard on the radio today.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #2
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Let's say the worst happens and Kubs is gone....

I don't have faith in anyone in the FO or Coaching staff who were here prior to this season. I would hope it would mean both would be gone.
Old 10-19-2011   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Kubiak isn't getting fired mid-season, even if it is a blowout in Tennessee. Hell, I don't think Bob will fire him unless the team goes 6-10 or worse. He has plenty of excuses to use this season, many of which we have already heard over the past few years.
Old 10-19-2011   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The rumor in the offseason was that Kubiak was gone and Smith was going to stay.

And then that didn't happen.

I don't think McNair would ever fire the head coach midseason. If he didn't do it to 2-14 Capers, he wouldn't do it to likely anyone.

If there were a coaching change planned, I would prefer for the Texans to acquire a new GM, and then have that GM decide the coaching future for the team. That's how most teams do it.

If things were bad enough to demand a coaching change, I would want no part of Smith staying.
Old 10-19-2011   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30005 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The rumor in the offseason was that Kubiak was gone and Smith was going to stay.

I don't think McNair would ever fire the head coach midseason. If he didn't do it to 2-14 Capers, he wouldn't do it to likely anyone.

If there were a coaching change planned, I would prefer for the Texans to acquire a new GM, and then have that GM decide the coaching future for the team. That's how most teams do it.

If things were bad enough to demand a coaching change, I would want no part of Smith staying.
Agree. Even though I think Smith is a decent negotiatior, he is not blameless. He still made bad draft picks. And, there's the overall question of judging talent, which the GM has a major hand in.

I think Kubiak is, overall, the bigger problem, but, if we fire him, I think Smith should be held accountable as well. Clean slate and all that.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I would much rather Smithiak leave as a whole than half stay and half go.
Old 10-19-2011   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

First thing folks, get yourselfs ready for a loss this Sunday, after all the Titans are favored and you know the book is right more often than not. Hope we win, but just saying.
Secondly it wouldn't be the end of the season. There's still 10 games left after this weekends game and anything can happen ? For example, Tenneesse is probably more dependant upon their QB than we are and he could get injured. It's way too early to declare defeat or victory based upon what happens in Nashville Sunday.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2011   #8
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 71984 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

After reading some responses I may need to clarify that I'm not proposing this as a mid season thing. I mean if something happens worst case and we have another losing season.

This is the scenario I'm referencing.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Kill 'em all. It's the only way to be sure.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I'm hoping having Wade Phillips on the pay-roll will be enough for him to do it this year.
Quote:
I really don't understand how we could lose as many games as we did last year & both the coach & the GM made it to another year. I would have liked to have seen McNair replace Smith in the off-season so there would be some continuity in the event Kubiak doesn't make it to 2012.

The Siamese twin thing needs to be broken up, other wise, a coaching change won't ever be "just" a coaching change.
Quote:
I'm not too happy about him being here sans coaching change.
Old 10-19-2011   #11
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30005 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
First thing folks, get yourselfs ready for a loss this Sunday, after all the Titans are favored and you know the book is right more often than not. Hope we win, but just saying.
Secondly it wouldn't be the end of the season. There's still 10 games left after this weekends game and anything can happen ? For example, Tenneesse is probably more dependant upon their QB than we are and he could get injured. It's way too early to declare defeat or victory based upon what happens in Nashville Sunday.
Here's the problem with that line of thinking: if we lose, you say, oh, there's still 10 games left.

Then, we lose again.

Oh, there's still 9 games left.

Lose.

oh, there's still 8 games left.

Lose.

Oh, there's still seven games left.

Lose.

Oh there's still...

And so on and so forth.

EVERY SINGLE GAME MUST be a high priority. EVERY SINGLE ONE.
Old 10-19-2011   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Actually there are only 9 games after this weekend.

We're running out of time Chavez!
Old 10-19-2011   #13
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Actually there are only 9 games after this weekend.

We're running out of time Chavez!
Lol. Yep.

At some point, the clock stops ticking.
Old 10-19-2011   #14
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

They both can(and should) go.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #15
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Also, Gary is easily the most spoiled, enabled, coddled coach in all of sports. I've never seen anything like this.
Old 10-19-2011   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think picking your HC before your GM is just dumb. This entire regime was built in an assbackwards way.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #17
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1035 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair just needs to clean house. But he probably won't.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 199341 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are going to squander the talents of their best players by sitting on their hands waiting for the FO to learn on the job . Bob grabbed a seedling or two from the Shanny tree and the only thing keeping Shanny going is Jim Haslett's defense .

Let's look back at the 2006 draft .

1. Texans ... we're heading to our annual SNAFU .
2. Saints ... good team , hired Payton the same year as we hired Kubiak with one SB title .
3. Titans ... on par with the Texans but made changes .
4. Jets ... gone deep in the playoffs last couple of years . Rex Ryan hired after Kubiak .
5. Packers ... best team in the NFL and the model for how to build a team . McCarthy was hired same year as Kubiak .
6. 49ers ... on the rise finally Harbaugh's first year .

Rick's picks that haven't panned out ... all of 2007 , all but one in 2008 .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

I will say something in Kubiak's defense. His teams have never, ever, quit on him. There's something to be said for that.
Old 10-19-2011   #20
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1035 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I will say something in Kubiak's defense. His teams have never, ever, quit on him. There's something to be said for that.
Yeah, they can win games at the end of the season when their opponents don't care as much and the games don't matter.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read