Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Why the terrible 3rd and 4th Quarters every game ?
Coach gets to conservative. 8 30.77%
Players dont play as intense. 6 23.08%
Kubiak is out smarting himself. 9 34.62%
Our The water boy is slipping all the guys zoloft at halftime ?!?!?!? 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So which is it ? Coaching our players ???

My boss came into the office today and was talking about how GOOD the texans would be if they could play the 3rd and 4th Quarter the way they play the first half every game. And i have to agree. But it makes me think is it the coaches our the players ?

I see some get all defensive that we say kubiak is conservative. I dont think he is. Heres what i think, if the run is working well he will come out the 2nd half with 3 straight throws, now ask urself why does he do this. Well i think its cause he's "Trying" to outsmart the opposing D.C. And in return is looking like an ***** for going away from what is working. Now thats just my opinion.

Whats yours ?
Old 10-18-2011   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So which is it ? Coaching our players ???

Personally, I think the players are being coached to play it safe... all the play-making ability has been coached out of them.

Ever wonder why we would get a player, a baller at CB one year, then he's a dud the next? A RB that rushes for 1200 yards as a rookie, then can't hold on to the ball the next? A safety who makes shit happen one year & can't stop shit the next?
Old 10-18-2011   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no need for a separate thread. We have many threads on this subject matter.

The Fire Kubiak thread is going to be summoned from the depths.
Old 10-18-2011   #4
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Personally, I think the players are being coached to play it safe... all the play-making ability has been coached out of them.

Ever wonder why we would get a player, a baller at CB one year, then he's a dud the next? A RB that rushes for 1200 yards as a rookie, then can't hold on to the ball the next? A safety who makes shit happen one year & can't stop shit the next?
i thought that was just the "Houston Sports Will never win anything besides 2 NBA titles curse"
Old 10-18-2011   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
There is no need for a separate thread. We have many threads on this subject matter.

The Fire Kubiak thread is going to be summoned from the depths.
A poll. Damn you and your loophole.
Old 10-18-2011   #6
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
A poll. Damn you and your loophole.
Old 10-18-2011   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's Gary,

He's the HC and he handpicked these players.

He's right this is all on him.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2011   #8
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
It's Gary,

He's the HC and he handpicked these players.

He's right this is all on him.
That's essentially what I was going to say.

It doesn't matter if it's the players, because the coach is the one deciding who makes the roster and who starts every game. So, in the end, the coach is responsible for the performance of the players.

That said, I think another coach could easily take over this team and win right away with the talent already on the roster.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #9
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 27227 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "play it safe," but the rest of your observations are spot on.

Then again, I don't believe in "player's coaches." Young millionaires with cunny pouring out of the pockets, egos the size of the national debt, and bodies that look like chiseled granite, don't need a coache's teet in their mouths.

They need football. And football is tough.

My middle name is Wayne. Gary Kubiak, by name. Elway's perpetual back-up.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I know what it is...it's the bad karma in the style of Feng shui.

I think Confucius once said, "that only a fool would let one's Head Coach pick his Boss".

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Look at the play we ran @3:42 in the 4th. We're down, 26-14 it's 3rd & 4 from our 26 yard line. Matt has to make a play. If he does, the drive is extended. If he doesn't, we go 3 & out & eventually allow the Ravens to extend the score.

He is in the shotgun, 2 receivers to his left (Walter in the slot Jacoby on the wing), OD to his right lined up on the tackle & Derrick Mason wide right. Covering Mason is #36, Danny Gorrer (from Port Arthur, TX) & Bernard Pollard. Gorrer is a 2nd year man.... 3rd String.

It's 4 go routes. All 4 receivers run go routes, Arian Foster slips off into the flat. Bernard Pollard is covering Foster off to Matt's right.

Gorrer is playing the sideline & stays on top of Mason the whole time. Not great coverage, a decent throw & good awareness by the Mason could have beat the coverage. OD is absolutely uncovered. It is possible that Ed Reed is playing center field & could have been covering both Walter & Daniels' route, but when we finally see the ball, he damn near intercepts the ball.

But if he was playing center field, then Jacoby is open. He's gotten past his defender & streaking to the end zone. Both corner backs, 3rd year players, Carey Williams & Lardarius Webb are playing trail techniques. Williams on JJ, Webb on KDub.... which leads me to believe Reed was playing over these two routes & OD was uncovered & wide open (should be read easy TD) in the middle of the field.

Either way, with Ed Reed over Jacoby & Walter, why do you throw to Walter? Over throw it at that? I'd go to Mason..... new guy & all, but you got some punk kid from Port Arthur, Tx covering him... a freak'n Aggie.....

If the offense does it's job here, go down get a touchdown, get the two point conversion, we are down by 3. We kick the onside for a chance to tie the game. If we hit OD here, that's a TD with more than 3 minutes left in the game.

It's a bad situation to be in, down by 8 to a good defense on the road. But, the coach called the right play on this one. Execution was just off... it was way off.
Old 10-19-2011   #12
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
That's essentially what I was going to say.

It doesn't matter if it's the players, because the coach is the one deciding who makes the roster and who starts every game. So, in the end, the coach is responsible for the performance of the players.

That said, I think another coach could easily take over this team and win right away with the talent already on the roster.
Somehow I doubt you'd give Kubiak (and Smith) credit in that scenario.

Kubiak is probably over-thinking. Making very poor adjustments in the second half so far this year. I hate this one-half football shit. No team is ever going to be 4 quarters, because this is the NFL, but it's pathetic how predictable it is. I suppose it's better than last year where we didn't know WHICH half we'd show up, lol. Then again, that brought variety?

Player execution gets worse and worse too. Probably speaks to adjustments the other team makes and inability of our coaches and players to adapt.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt ..... Throw the ball to Vickers in the flat , he'll be wide open ....

Sure thing coach.

Oh shit , I dropped the ****ing ball.

----------------------------------------------------

Matt , throw a quick slant to Walter. If he's not open chunk it outa bounds and we'll have another play .... Dont force it.

Sorry coach , I got flushed , got scared outa the pocket ..... and threw a pick.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #14
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Somehow I doubt you'd give Kubiak (and Smith) credit in that scenario.
Really? How about if I go ahead and do it right now then:

If the Texans hire a new coach and he wins right away with the talent already assembled, then I give Kubiak and Smith credit for at least being sharp enough to have put together a solid roster.

Not sure why you'd think I would have trouble doing that. But whatever.
Old 10-19-2011   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

80% Kubiak

20% players
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

The short answer is

Its both both can really suck at times
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #17
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Really? How about if I go ahead and do it right now then:

If the Texans hire a new coach and he wins right away with the talent already assembled, then I give Kubiak and Smith credit for at least being sharp enough to have put together a solid roster.

Not sure why you'd think I would have trouble doing that. But whatever.

Nice little half-compliment.

"At least being sharp enough to have put together a solid roster".

But I think it's the best anyone will get out of you, so good job.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #18
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Nice little half-compliment.

"At least being sharp enough to have put together a solid roster".

But I think it's the best anyone will get out of you, so good job.
What's the problem, bud? Where do you get the idea that I"m somehow intellectually dishonest?

If you can find a post from me that makes a counter argument to another post of mine, please point it out.

To my knowledge I've been nothing but consistent.

If you want to go around creating straw men that you can joust with there's not much I can do about it. But, if anything, that would make you the one being intellectually dishonest.

Again, for the record: I like Kubiak on a personal level. Seems like a terrific guy. I sincerely wish he would take this team to the playoffs this year and hope he gets this city a Super Bowl victory someday.

However, after nearly five and a half years I don't think he's the man for the job.

I believe he has assembled a solid roster. I believe this roster could win right away with good coaching.

But the bottom line is that it doesn't matter whether it's the coaching or the roster causing the disappointment because the coach is responsible for the roster. So if the roster is the problem, then the coach is to blame.

Now, if you'd like to add something snarky to that, then be my guest.
Old 10-19-2011   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's the coaching. I mean if you're saying it's the players, it pretty much goes back to coaching because you're either picking the wrong players, or you're picking the right players but you are terrible at developing said players. I honestly think it's a discipline issue, and Kubiak just doesn't have a tight enough grip on the team to be able to make them execute on a consistent basis besides players like Andre, whom I suspect would be great no matter who coaches him.
Old 10-19-2011   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think it's the coaching. I mean if you're saying it's the players, it pretty much goes back to coaching because you're either picking the wrong players, or you're picking the right players but you are terrible at developing said players. I honestly think it's a discipline issue, and Kubiak just doesn't have a tight enough grip on the team to be able to make them execute on a consistent basis besides players like Andre, whom I suspect would be great no matter who coaches him.
Cowboys thought it was pretty much all coaching too so they let wade go with many fans hoping that with his lax coaching style now gone, Garrett's stricter style would finally get the players on edge enough to perform. This in turn would also free Garrett up to let all that speed & talent flourish....a year later, they're finding out Romo is still Romo.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read