Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2011   #61
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Kubiak-era Texans have never beaten the Titans and Jags...

I keep hearing this stat thrown around. Under Kubiak the Texans have beaten one team on the road that finished the season with a winning record. One.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post
I keep hearing this stat thrown around. Under Kubiak the Texans have beaten one team on the road that finished the season with a winning record. One.
So how does that compare to other teams?
Old 10-19-2011   #63
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, but how many teams have beaten the Texans in Houston when they went on to have a winning record? Thought so.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #64
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yes, but how many teams have beaten the Texans in Houston when they went on to have a winning record? Thought so.
Wait, what? The Texans are playing at Tennessee this weekend? What's your point?
Old 10-19-2011   #65
mridge01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I would imagine worse than most. One game in five completed seasons. But that's a fair question.
Old 10-19-2011   #66
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wait, what? The Texans are playing at Tennessee this weekend? What's your point?
I don't think he was being serious. That guy's a jerk anyway.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I don't think he was being serious. That guy's a jerk anyway.
Dude..... he might see your post. Maybe you should try a little tact.
Old 10-19-2011   #68
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
on the road in the same year those teams respectively finished the season above .500

This game on Sunday could tell us how average the Texans are, how bad the Titans are, or both.
As terrible as that is, let's put this in a little perspective, shall we?

The Jaguars have only had 1 season with a winning record during the Kubiak era (2007).
The Titans have only had 2 seasons with winning records during the Kubiak era (2007,2008).
The Jags and Titans have both had winning records during the same season only 1 time during Kubiak era (2007).
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #69
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
As terrible as that is, let's put this in a little perspective, shall we?

The Jaguars have only had 1 season with a winning record during the Kubiak era (2007).
The Titans have only had 2 seasons with winning records during the Kubiak era (2007,2008).
The Jags and Titans have both had winning records during the same season only 1 time during Kubiak era (2007).
One more stat...

Both of those teams either made the playoffs, fired their head coach,
or both during the Kubiak era.

The Texans do not beat teams in the hunt for a playoff attempt, they
wait and pray that other teams lose. To take the Texans seriously, they
must go out and BEAT THE TEAMS AHEAD OF THEM at least a few times.
They have yet to do so AT ALL.

Do I hope the Texans can win IN SPITE of Kubiak? Yes.
Is it likely?? About as likely as Raisin Bran soaking in buttermilk
tasting good.
Old 10-19-2011   #70
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Texans are three point underdogs vs the new look Titans with a new coach, new QB, new OC, new DC, and their WR1 out.
Not surprising honestly since the Texans look to be a mess without Andre catching balls, and without Mario applying pressure. But Vegas really makes betting lines to induce bets, not to really predict who is actually going to win, so while the line may be 3, I have a feeling this game is going to come down to field goals and field position.

The way I see it, this is the make or break game for the Texans. Titans schedule is going to be just as easy as the Texans schedule after this game so it would behoove the Texans to come out and dominate. Going to need solid ass play from the front 7 on defense (again) and we can only hope that facing known foes will energize the Texans offensive line. This game will probably cause more than a few heart attacks.
Old 10-19-2011   #71
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One more stat...

Both of those teams either made the playoffs, fired their head coach,
or both during the Kubiak era.

The Texans do not beat teams in the hunt for a playoff attempt, they
wait and pray that other teams lose. To take the Texans seriously, they
must go out and BEAT THE TEAMS AHEAD OF THEM at least a few times.
They have yet to do so AT ALL.

tasting good.
Look I don't disagree with you here... I'm just saying your sample size is extremely small. I get the road games against teams that end up having winning records. I'm just addressing the original post of this thread.

Try this fact on for size:

Kubiak is undefeated when playing @ Tennessee before our bye week.

There's hope.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 10-19-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #72
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Another great post. Seriously, I think you should have a blog on the front page of the site. Sometimes, your stuff gets buried in here and I think it deserves to stand on its own. Think about it.
Thanks for the props, Lucky. It means a lot.

A blog seems like so much pressure, though...

Quote:
That is a perfect analogy. Let's go with that.

What do you think about a citizen who roots for his country to lose?

Let's say Iraq. If you don't believe we should have been there, I understand criticism. I understand protest. But there were people who were rooting to lose, just to spite one insignificant little man.

Same thing here. There is no reason to ever root for your team to lose.
I never heard anyone say that they wanted us to lose the war. I'm not saying they don't exist, but that's the 1% silently referred to in my post.

I did see a lot of people say "support the troops" but were against the invasion/occupation. And I know a couple that were for the war, voted Bush, but now want it to end.

I do not doubt any of these people's love for their country, though.

Think of how many people love America but hate the president. It's very similar to being a Texans fan but no longer digging Kubiak. At least to me...
Old 10-19-2011   #73
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Texans are three point underdogs vs the new look Titans with a new coach, new QB, new OC, new DC, and their WR1 out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Not surprising honestly since the Texans look to be a mess without Andre catching balls, and without Mario applying pressure. But Vegas really makes betting lines to induce bets, not to really predict who is actually going to win, so while the line may be 3, I have a feeling this game is going to come down to field goals and field position.

The way I see it, this is the make or break game for the Texans. Titans schedule is going to be just as easy as the Texans schedule after this game so it would behoove the Texans to come out and dominate. Going to need solid ass play from the front 7 on defense (again) and we can only hope that facing known foes will energize the Texans offensive line. This game will probably cause more than a few heart attacks.
the point was that a rookie coach in a bad division playing an old QB that is new to the system...a system they installed in a shortened preseason, is favored to win the game. Sure the spread is there to induce bets, but that ought to tell you that people don't see this team as very good.

McNair kept harping on the fact that he didn't want to make changes in a shortened preseason, but looks like we face a team that made key changes to key positions and key coaches. They are favored over this Texan unit that has been on the "build" for six friggin' years. If the Titans can turn it around in one shortened offseason, how come it takes us a decade? I know why, but that ain't helping us any.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #74
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The same way that ZERO playoff appearances in six seasons, while keeping the
same head coach, compares to other teams. TK surely asks some illogical questions
in his frustration.

He knows this futility is the fruit born of the tree of Kubiak, but seeks pleasure by running
from the truth. Poor TK.
Old 10-19-2011   #75
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Thanks for the props, Lucky. It means a lot.

A blog seems like so much pressure, though...

I never heard anyone say that they wanted us to lose the war. I'm not saying they don't exist, but that's the 1% silently referred to in my post.

I did see a lot of people say "support the troops" but were against the invasion/occupation. And I know a couple that were for the war, voted Bush, but now want it to end.

I do not doubt any of these people's love for their country, though.

Think of how many people love America but hate the president. It's very similar to being a Texans fan but no longer digging Kubiak. At least to me...
To some of these cats, Kubiak IS the Texans. To fire Kubiak, would mean
to fire ALL PLAYERS as well. I mean, these SAME PLAYERS couldn't be
expected to perform BETTER than they do for Kubiak under ANOTHER COACH!!??

(although we see proof to just that end, every frickin' year, through dang-near
every other team in the league. Buffalo Bills?? On the upswing faster than the Texans?)
Old 10-19-2011   #76
mridge01
Veteran

Quote:
One more stat...

tasting good.
I don't know what it is, but your posts are usually spot on. Take the analogy above, probably shouldn't work, but it's brilliant in this case. I mean, what's the most boring cereal ever? Probably corn flakes, then you add some raisins in there to make it seem more exciting than it really is. Just like Kubiak, he's probably got just enough football IQ to be a little better than the most boring coach out there, but damn he's close. I don't know, I think someone spiked by diet dr. pepper this morning.
Old 10-19-2011   #77
mridge01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Try this fact on for size:

Kubiak is undefeated when playing @ Tennessee before our bye week.

There's hope.
Even if our bye week is 4 weeks away?
Old 10-19-2011   #78
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know what it is, but your posts are usually spot on. Take the analogy above, probably shouldn't work, but it's brilliant in this case. I mean, what's the most boring cereal ever? Probably corn flakes, then you add some raisins in there to make it seem more exciting than it really is. Just like Kubiak, he's probably got just enough football IQ to be a little better than the most boring coach out there, but damn he's close. I don't know, I think someone spiked by diet dr. pepper this morning.
Do a search and look up some of Dex's past posts. When I first joined, he was president of the Kubiak Fan Club. Dude, LOVED him some Kubiak.

But, eventually, he reached his breaking point and saw the facts as they are.

People think that those of us who want Kubiak gone are picking on him, or not supporting the team. The truth is, we speak from facts.

Ironically, the people who often defend Kubiak the most are numbers people who are impressed with stats. But the stats they bring up are often pointless, and they ignore the stats of W's and L's. It's pretty interesting to see.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #79
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

Ironically, the people who often defend Kubiak the most are numbers people who are impressed with stats. But the stats they bring up are often pointless, and they ignore the stats of W's and L's. It's pretty interesting to see.
I've been guilty of that. Stats are never pointless but I get what you're saying. My last post ignored every stat except wins and losses and what's pretty interesting to see is that this is literally the same step they've been trying to take since 2006. 2006!!!! Think about it man, that's eternity in football. It's like taking remedial math and failing the first exam which leads you to fail the class. Then you take that same remedial math class 5 more times!!!!! I'M SICK OF MATH!!!! I WANT BUNNIES!!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #80
mridge01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Do a search and look up some of Dex's past posts. When I first joined, he was president of the Kubiak Fan Club. Dude, LOVED him some Kubiak.

But, eventually, he reached his breaking point and saw the facts as they are.

People think that those of us who want Kubiak gone are picking on him, or not supporting the team. The truth is, we speak from facts.

Right. That's why I like Dex's posts. He's a realist. Did you think I was insulting him or something?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read