Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2011   #21
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Kubiak-era Texans have never beaten the Titans and Jags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_R View Post
Ravens beat the Steelers, Steelers beat the Titans, Titans beat the Ravens, Ravens beat the Texans, Texans beat the Steelers and that all equals ?!?!?! Did I get all that right?
It was the Ravens Super Bowl Week
It was the Steelers Super Bowl Week
It was the Titans Super Bowl Week
It was the Ravens Super Bowl Week
It was the Texans Super Bowl Week

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ravens beat the Steelers, Steelers beat the Titans, Titans beat the Ravens, Ravens beat the Texans, Texans beat the Steelers and that all equals ?!?!?! Did I get all that right?
Actually, the proper way to do this is to leave out a few pesky facts that get in the way of your theory. Once you learn to do that, you to can be a Master Of Internet Opinion.

Of course, if you're me, then you don't have to worry about any of that, because I'm alway right.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It means home field truly has been an advantage. All the home teams won. Which obviously doesn't bode well for us going to Tenn
Old 10-18-2011   #24
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
To clarify my point (since my use of the word "respectively" went unnoticed.):

The Texans have never beaten the Jags on the road, the same year in which the Jags
finished above .500.

The Texans have never beaten the Titans on the road, the same year in which the Titans
finished above .500.
So are you telling us how to bet? Does this mean you're you betting on the Titans? Should the Texans not even bother getting on the plane??
What's the point of this "history lesson"??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #25
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Actually, the proper way to do this is to leave out a few pesky facts that get in the way of your theory. Once you learn to do that, you to can be a Master Of Internet Opinion.

Of course, if you're me, then you don't have to worry about any of that, because I'm alway right.
Here, put this in your signature

Old 10-18-2011   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Here, put this in your signature

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #27
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So are you telling us how to bet? Does this mean you're you betting on the Titans? Should the Texans not even bother getting on the plane??
What's the point of this "history lesson"??
The Texans have yet to make any of those statistics remain in the past,
because the same thing has occurred six consecutive seasons non stop.

You keep telling us how "improved over previous seasons" this team is, but
we're still waiting for ONE that thing differs from what we've continued to witness
from Kubiak's era. For what I said to remain in the Texans' past, it must
cease being their present.
Old 10-18-2011   #28
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Dex, I was just looking at your sig

Quote:
The First Twelve Games (Where Playoff Teams Are Made):
2007: (5-7) | 2008: (5-7) | 2009: (5-7) | 2010: (5-7) | 2011: (3-3)
Frightening to think how easily we could see 5-7 again.

@Titans = loss (3-4)
Jaguars = win (4-4)
Browns = win (5-4)
@Tampa Bay = loss (5-5)
@Jaguars = loss (5-6)
Atlanta = loss (5-7)

TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #29
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Dex, I was just looking at your sig

Frightening to think how easily we could see 5-7 again.

@Titans = loss (3-4)
Jaguars = win (4-4)
Browns = win (5-4)
@Tampa Bay = loss (5-5)
@Jaguars = loss (5-6)
Atlanta = loss (5-7)

Last year, the team started 4-2, and some guy posted
"The Texans would have to go 1-5 in order to reach Dex's
sig. Not gonna happen.". We all know that it DID happen.

Over the next 6 games, the real teams stand up and win their divisions and
wild cards. The pretenders fold like the fodder they are. Who are the 2011 Texans?
Old 10-18-2011   #30
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
The Texans have yet to make any of those statistics remain in the past,
because the same thing has occurred six consecutive seasons non stop.

You keep telling us how "improved over previous seasons" this team is, but
we're still waiting for ONE that thing differs from what we've continued to witness
from Kubiak's era. For what I said to remain in the Texans' past, it must
cease being their present.
One thing that's different? Better players. No real glaring weaknesses - we have weak links but I think that's because the #1 guys are so much better. Or do you think this team is worse than it has been in previous years?

And I'm talking about the talent and attitude of the team, not the coaches. I wouldn't waste your time or my electrons trying to change your mind about Kubiak; so don't go there.
Old 10-18-2011   #31
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
TN beat the Ratbirds 26-13
Ratbirds beat Houston 29-14
TN beat Ratbirds 26-13
Houston beat Stealers 17-10
Stealers beat TN 38-17

hard to draw too many conlcusions except that Indy sucks without Pay-me-a-ton.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #32
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
One thing that's different? Better players. No real glaring weaknesses - we have weak links but I think that's because the #1 guys are so much better. Or do you think this team is worse than it has been in previous years?

And I'm talking about the talent and attitude of the team, not the coaches. I wouldn't waste your time or my electrons trying to change your mind about Kubiak; so don't go there.
Better aesthetics, same substance, so far.

I suppose we are seeking improvement in different areas. You value
improved aesthetics, I value improved results.
Old 10-18-2011   #33
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
AFC South just might be the NFC West in terms of mediocre teams trying to not lose as many games as their divisional opponents. Meaning that those teams are battling it out within their division, but you'd never expect the likes of Seahawks or Rams going deep into the playoffs. This year, San Fran is looking like they're breaking free from the pack.

The Titans are better, much better, than I expected them to be this year. I seriously didn't think Hasselbeck (sp?) would be THAT decent at QB for them.

They're doing it without their best WR too.
Hey, Seattle made a deep run in the playoffs (NFC champ game IIRC) when they finished 9-7.

When it comes down to it, thats all that matters, right? If we go 9-7 BUT win the division and make it to, lets say, the AFC champ game and lose are we still calling for Kubes head?

Thats a tricky one because he obviously underperformed again BUT we did make the playoffs and win but its all due to circumstances.

Meh, win Texans win.
Old 10-18-2011   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How does a coach 1-19 or 1-8 in ANYTHING justify keeping his job?
Justify not so much. Illustrate you pick out arbitrary standards with no reflection on the NFL as a whole just to have another bang on Kubiak post - yeah pretty much proves that. When you first started banging your drum on this I did the homework you should have done (and of course you failed to respond) showing teams with similar records over the last 5 years have similar records going on the road against teams with winning seasons. Inconvenient truth for you.

I mean look at this silly thread you have come up with. The Hags only have one winning season during Kubiak's tenure (they split with the home team winning each time). The Tacks have had two winning seasons (2008 again a home team split - 2009 they were 8-8 because we beat them at home). So three games is what you created a thread out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Hey, Seattle made a deep run in the playoffs (NFC champ game IIRC) when they finished 9-7.
Seattle knocked New Orleans out of the playoffs last year coming off a 7-9 regular season record.
Old 10-18-2011   #35
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Better aesthetics, same substance, so far.

I suppose we are seeking improvement in different areas. You value
improved aesthetics, I value improved results.
You kinda lost me. So you don't think we have better players / more talent?

For the record, we both want improved results. I've never said otherwise. I prefer to focus on positive things but that doesn't mean I'm blind to their shortcomings either. I thought Kubiak was a goner too - but Uncle Bob kept him. Personally, I'd rather have Gruden or Billick - they have as many Super Bowl rings as Cowher and it didn't take them 15 years to get one. ....but I digress.

We're stuck with Kubiak for at least another year so I might as well hope for the best.
Old 10-18-2011   #36
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

According to Jerome Solomon this morning:

In six seasons the Texans have beaten one team on the road that finished over .500.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #37
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You kinda lost me. So you don't think we have better players / more talent?

For the record, we both want improved results. I've never said otherwise. I prefer to focus on positive things but that doesn't mean I'm blind to their shortcomings either. I thought Kubiak was a goner too - but Uncle Bob kept him. Personally, I'd rather have Gruden or Billick - they have as many Super Bowl rings as Cowher and it didn't take them 15 years to get one. ....but I digress.

We're stuck with Kubiak for at least another year so I might as well hope for the best.
But Cowher had a fistful of division championships and a Superbowl appearancebefore he got his first ring. Six years into Kubiak's reign, and we've gotten NOTHING.

Why did you bring Cowher's name into this? Subconsciously, you want him coaching
the Texans next year, right?

Asking a team to win in spite of its head coach is a tall order, my friends.
Old 10-18-2011   #38
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
According to Jerome Solomon this morning:

In six seasons the Texans have beaten one team on the road that finished over .500.
That was the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009. They swept their division (Browns, Ravens,
Steelers,) and went to the playoffs. I'd like to see the Texans do something like that,
but when have they competed in their division?
Old 10-18-2011   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009. They swept their division (Browns, Ravens,
Steelers,) and went to the playoffs. I'd like to see the Texans do something like that,
but when have they competed in their division?
They outright won the division, no tie breakers, with a 10-6 record. They could have been 10-6 with an 0-6 division record and still gone to the playoffs. The Raiders last year went 6-0 in their division, didn't make the playoffs. Who you beat only counts in tiebreakers. We lost out on that one with the Jets in 2009 - and it wasn't a division game.
Old 10-18-2011   #40
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather have Gruden or Billick - they have as many Super Bowl rings as Cowher and it didn't take them 15 years to get one.
Oh no you dih-unt...

Quote:
Cowher is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, joining Pro Football Hall of Fame member Paul Brown.

In Cowher抯 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles.

Through the Super Bowl, Cowher's team had compiled a record of 108𢴏 in games in which they built a lead of at least eleven points.
I don't look at just rings. I'm looking at body-of-work to fix our hapless franchise.

p.s. I'd be happy with Gruden or Billick, as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read