Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2011   #81
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lets be ********** Honest.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
ok, I like that answer and I agree that this SHOULD be a better team than most of the remaining opponents.
yean, but you have to admit there's some truth in the other answer too
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #82
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have proven not to be competitive (win,) consistently against
playoff teams BECAUSE of Kubiak, now we're reduced to hoping they can
succeed IN SPITE of Kubiak?

Why is team being forced to carry its albatross of a leader? Why does Bob hate his
players so much?
Old 10-18-2011   #83
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

Why is team being forced to carry its albatross of a leader? Why does Bob hate his
players so much?
Poor Andre!
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #84
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
ok, I like that answer and I agree that this SHOULD be a better team than most of the remaining opponents.
& that was the source of my sunshine until we lost to the Raiders at home. Now I question if it even matters if we are the better team. Unless the other team is flat out disfunctional, how good are our chances?

& It's not just that we lost to the Raiders, but I think we stunk it up
in the second half of that game across the board offensively. & that is unacceptable.

The Titans are a better team than the Raiders & we're playing them on the road after losing 3 of the last 4.

Man if it don't feel like we've been here before.
Old 10-18-2011   #85
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

players so much?
I think the albatross is the players.

A coaches job is to give his team a chance to win , to put the players in position to make plays.

Routinely the players have failed to come thru when given the opportunity to do so.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #86
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& that was the source of my sunshine until we lost to the Raiders at home. Now I question if it even matters if we are the better team. Unless the other team is flat out disfunctional, how good are our chances?

& It's not just that we lost to the Raiders, but I think we stunk it up
in the second half of that game across the board offensively. & that is unacceptable.

The Titans are a better team than the Raiders & we're playing them on the road after losing 3 of the last 4.

Man if it don't feel like we've been here before.
Well there you go blocking my sunshine with your rain cloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think the albatross is the players.

A coaches job is to give his team a chance to win , to put the players in position to make plays.

Routinely the players have failed to come thru when given the opportunity to do so.
It's a symbiotic relationship, to be sure. Plays are designed to be successful, and to that end, players have to execute them.

However, there are always counter plays to each play, so then it's up to the coaching staff to game plan prior to kickoff and then adjust to circumstances after kickoff.

But, in the end, it still comes down to the ultimate responsibility is on the coaches. After all, who picked the players?
Old 10-18-2011   #87
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Well there you go blocking my sunshine with your rain cloud!

It's a symbiotic relationship, to be sure. Plays are designed to be successful, and to that end, players have to execute them.

However, there are always counter plays to each play, so then it's up to the coaching staff to game plan prior to kickoff and then adjust to circumstances after kickoff.

But, in the end, it still comes down to the ultimate responsibility is on the coaches. After all, who picked the players?
How many times this season have we seen players drop gimmies .... Foster dropped two this past Sunday , Vickers another against the Raiders. Rackers misses a FG that he usually makes ... which would have allowed them to win that game with a FG ....
How many times have we seen Schaub make a piss poor throw not giving his reciever a chance to make a play ? or a poor throw to a reciever who had beaten coverage ... ?

To the bold - GM Rick Smith (Yeah , I know Kubiak picked him ....) has a whole lot of input on player aquisition .... Coaches say "Im looking for these qualities in a given position" .... The GM is tasked with finding players who best fit the description.

Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2011   #88
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many times this season have we seen players drop gimmies .... Foster dropped two this past Sunday , Vickers another against the Raiders. Rackers misses a FG that he usually makes ... which would have allowed them to win that game with a FG ....
How many times have we seen Schaub make a piss poor throw not giving his reciever a chance to make a play ? or a poor throw to a reciever who had beaten coverage ... ?

To the bold - GM Rick Smith (Yeah , I know Kubiak picked him ....) has a whole lot of input on player aquisition .... Coaches say "Im looking for these qualities in a given position" .... The GM is tasked with finding players who best fit the description.
The 49ers have the same players that choked their way out of a division title last
year. The new coach is able to keep those same players focused enough to beat
a 5-0 football team on the road on their way to a 5-1 start on the season.

Dropped balls, running wrong routes, and a myriad of other mental mistakes
point to lack of focus. That lies with coaching, and I'm continually reading
illogical posts clamoring for a team to be successful IN SPITE of its HEAD COACH.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, The evolution of the Texans wholly
depends on the EVOLUTION OF GARY KUBIAK as a HEAD COACH. We've seen
ZERO MOVEMENT in this regard in six seasons.
Old 10-19-2011   #89
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Dropped balls, running wrong routes, and a myriad of other mental mistakes
point to lack of focus. That lies with coaching, and I'm continually reading
illogical posts clamoring for a team to be successful IN SPITE of its HEAD COACH.
To the bold - Is a failure on the part of the players .

The coach dont throw the ball .... dont catch the ball and dont kick the damn thing either.

The coach designs a game plan and selects plays based upon the situation at hand.

Ask Vickers if he blames Gary for droppin the damn game winner Vs the Raiders ?

Ask Schaub if he blames Gary for throwing a pick on the final play .... rather than going thru the first two reads quickly and throwing the damn thing away to get another play before time expires .....
Ask him if he credits Gary for drawing up the plays that got them in position to score .... despite their repeated attempts to throw it away .... a blown snap by Schaub , penalty , Schaub taking a sack .... The fact that they even had a chance after that cluster**** is amazing.

Ask Rackers if he blames Gary for missing a FG ....

The Ravens game ..... they got beat on the road by a better team. I expeted it as did most. Everyone's pissed off about the Raiders game .... a game they should have won .... if a guy makes a freakin play.

Everyone always looking for a scapegoat instead of taking responsibility for their actions ..... No wonder this country is in the state its in , same shit coming from the same people .... Lookin for an excuse to blame someone else.

--------------------------------------------------------
Edit

Hey Jacoby , catch the danm ball that hits you in the hands in the endzone and we dont go to OT in Baltimore last season ......

Bleh , I blame Barack Obama .....

Last edited by Corrosion; 10-19-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2011   #90
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm curious as to why everyone would be mad if we backed into the playoffs. Two years ago, I would say the Jets backed into the playoffs because they beat a Cincinatti Bengals team that laid down for them and the Jets ended up going to the AFC Championship.

I'm not saying we would do the same but stranger things have happened - Like Arizona catching fire and going to the SuperBowl.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #91
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I'm curious as to why everyone would be mad if we backed into the playoffs. Two years ago, I would say the Jets backed into the playoffs because they beat a Cincinatti Bengals team that laid down for them and the Jets ended up going to the AFC Championship.

I'm not saying we would do the same but stranger things have happened - Like Arizona catching fire and going to the SuperBowl.
Backing into the play-offs & getting to the AFC Championship game is one thing. No one would be upset with that.

But the way we are perceiving our team playing, it looks like they'll be one & done, losing that first play-off game at home. & that ain't good. You'll have a team playing badly sneaking into the play-offs, playing badly in the play-offs & a 10 year extension of the Gary Kubiak show.
Old 10-19-2011   #92
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Lets be ********** Honest.....

Quote:
I heard someone say last week a big problem is that Kubiak is SO into his schemes and systems that we forget to teach/train our players to improvise if the play is not there after the ball is snapped. That when a play breaks down everything falls apart (usually) - and, well, how often can we predict Kubiak's play calling?

Don't know how valid that thought is, but it made a lot of sense.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.

Last edited by Yankee_In_TX; 10-19-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #93
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I heard someone say last week a big problem is that Kubiak is SO into his schemes and systems that we forget to teach/train our players to improvise if the play is not there after the ball is snapped. That when a play breaks down everything falls apart (usually) - and, well, how often can we predict Kubiak's play calling?

Don't know how valid that thought it, but it made a lot of sense.
It also sounds like the reason why the ball is snapped, 3 seconds go by, and Schaub throws the ball in the dirt. I know you limit sacks and turnovers that way, but he's not ONLY supposed to be there just to go 3 and out and save the ball for the all-important punt.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #94
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:

To the bold - Is a failure on the part of the players .

The coach dont throw the ball .... dont catch the ball and dont kick the damn thing either.

The coach designs a game plan and selects plays based upon the situation at hand.

Ask Vickers if he blames Gary for droppin the damn game winner Vs the Raiders ?

Ask Schaub if he blames Gary for throwing a pick on the final play .... rather than going thru the first two reads quickly and throwing the damn thing away to get another play before time expires .....
Ask him if he credits Gary for drawing up the plays that got them in position to score .... despite their repeated attempts to throw it away .... a blown snap by Schaub , penalty , Schaub taking a sack .... The fact that they even had a chance after that cluster**** is amazing.

Ask Rackers if he blames Gary for missing a FG ....

The Ravens game ..... they got beat on the road by a better team. I expeted it as did most. Everyone's pissed off about the Raiders game .... a game they should have won .... if a guy makes a freakin play.

Everyone always looking for a scapegoat instead of taking responsibility for their actions ..... No wonder this country is in the state its in , same shit coming from the same people .... Lookin for an excuse to blame someone else.

--------------------------------------------------------
Edit

Hey Jacoby , catch the danm ball that hits you in the hands in the endzone and we dont go to OT in Baltimore last season ......

Bleh , I blame Barack Obama .....
Hmmm.... So the head coach has a very minimal impact on how his
team consistently plays week in, week out, year in, year out. The
head coach does not set the culture conducive to winning. Belichick,
Dungy, Payton, Parcells, and the like are just purely overrated. They
just got lucky enough to get good players.

.....got it.
Old 10-19-2011   #95
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Vickers another against the Raiders.
Good points, and it's definitely a mixture of players and coaches.

Using Vickers as an example: yeah, he dropped the ball. But my take? He shouldn't even be a Texan. They should have resigned Leach and let Jacoby go.

See, it all goes back to coaches and front office decisions. They pick these players and then must coach them up and hold them accountable. I'm not sure how much of that is going on with this team sometimes.
Old 10-19-2011   #96
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Good points, and it's definitely a mixture of players and coaches.

Using Vickers as an example: yeah, he dropped the ball. But my take? He shouldn't even be a Texan. They should have resigned Leach and let Jacoby go.

See, it all goes back to coaches and front office decisions. They pick these players and then must coach them up and hold them accountable. I'm not sure how much of that is going on with this team sometimes.
In hindsight , I dont think letting Leach walk was the wrong move. They arguably found a more productive player in Casey .... Vickers is a backup , Casey is injured ....

I do think keeping Jacoby Jones was a mistake but a minor one that is exaggerated due to the loss of #80. He wouldnt be targeted 11 times in a month much less a single game if AJ doesnt get hurt.

What we are talking about here is backups at both positions .....

Casey has been a game changer at FB of all positions. Hard o call letting Leach go a mistake when you look at the production .... and I seriously doubt that Leach makes a difference in the running game while teams are stacking the box because they dont respect Jones.

Take for instance the TD Jones caught against the Ravens - they single covered him with Reed .... while four defenders were responsible for OD. Thats a defense giving no respect to Jones.

Do we really expect Jacoby Jones .... or anyone else for that matter to step in and replace what one of the best WR's in the history of the NFL brings?

That affects the game in a lot of ways , defenses being allowed to stack the box against the running game and a lot of exotic blitzes in the pass game when they can cover a WR with a Safety ....

Consider that Kubiaks play calling and design put them in position to win that Raiders game ..... Without the two players who create the most havoc and mismatches for a defense in Casey and AJ.

I wont argue much about the Ravens game ..... I think the better team won on its home field. But they had a chance in that game too .... Someone just has to make a damn play.

Old 10-19-2011   #97
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Do we really expect Jacoby Jones .... or anyone else for that matter to step in and replace what one of the best WR's in the history of the NFL brings?
How does any team in the league win without Andre Johnson? How many division titles do the Texans have since 2003? How many wild card appearances? How many winning seasons? Sure, he is a great player, but come on. He's not the guy taking us to all those multiple winning seasons and he (alone) ain't the guy making us a loser all of a sudden either. It takes a good organization to win.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #98
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How does any team in the league win without Andre Johnson? How many division titles do the Texans have since 2003? How many wild card appearances? How many winning seasons? Sure, he is a great player, but come on. He's not the guy taking us to all those multiple winning seasons and he (alone) ain't the guy making us a loser all of a sudden either. It takes a good organization to win.
The teams that do win or have great offenses tend to have a player "Like" AJ .... maybe at a different position but someone who has to be accounted for and schemed to stop.

Take Calvin Johnson away from Detriot and they look a whole lot different.

Take Aaron Rodgers away from the GB offense .....

Or Peyton out of the Dolts lineup .... 0-fer.

The Vikings without AP.

Imagine Baltimore without Ray Rice .... who their entire offense is built around.

Old 10-19-2011   #99
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The teams that do win or have great offenses tend to have a player "Like" AJ .... maybe at a different position but someone who has to be accounted for and schemed to stop.

Take Calvin Johnson away from Detriot and they look a whole lot different.

Take Aaron Rodgers away from the GB offense .....

Or Peyton out of the Dolts lineup .... 0-fer.

The Vikings without AP.

Imagine Baltimore without Ray Rice .... who their entire offense is built around.
word! mostly anyway... I still think a better #2 than Jacoby would help... but Jacoby's boot TD against Baltimore may help in removing a man out of that box more often... we can only hope anyway...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #100
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
word! mostly anyway... I still think a better #2 than Jacoby would help... but Jacoby's boot TD against Baltimore may help in removing a man out of that box more often... we can only hope anyway...
WORD!! *and we have twos studs that need each other - AJ (of course and A Foster) to thrive*

AND except that we have a #2.. That would Owen Daniels, we have a #3... that would be AF out of the bckfield. We also just scored Derrick Mason (no great shakes) but wouldn't you rather have DM as an option over Jacoby?

AJ, will be back. AND it would come during a 6-9 to 8-2 run over the next 10 games.

*EDIT*

AND BTW, the above doesn't include recovering James Casey who at some point will give us waaaay more options than Vonta (and I love Vonta Leach)!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read