Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-16-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default It's Personal: Rick Smith vs Vonta Leach

This makes me sick..

I haven't really seen any of the "ex-player" comments about our F.O. & the ones I've seen I think can generally be taken a couple of different ways. But this is Vonta & he's saying what I felt.. that he wanted to be here. I always felt Vonta knew he was a big part of what was built here & wanted to see the pay off...... he got to the Pro Bowl as a Houston Texans & I thought that meant something to him. Then I read this.......

Quote:
"When I was there, I laid it all on the line for Houston, whether I was hurt or not. During my time there, they paid a lot of players I felt didn't necessarily deserve to get paid. What disappointed me was when it was time for me, maybe my last contract, to get a good deal ... I didn't have to be the highest-paid fullback.
Quote:
"The deal that was offered to me was disrespectful to me and my family," he said. "It was a lesser deal than I just got finished playing for them for."
Quote:
"I wanted to stay with the Texans. When I heard the offer, I picked up the phone and called (Texans general manager) Rick Smith myself.

"I said, 'Rick, what's going on?' He said, 'Vonta, we had to give away all of our money. We don't have any more.' I said thanks, and that was it."
I'm very disappointed.
Old 10-16-2011   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's Personal: Rick Smith vs Vonta Leach

Quote:
"I said, 'Rick, what's going on?' He said, 'Vonta, we had to give away all of our money. We don't have any more.' I said thanks, and that was it."
I'm not a fan of Rick Smith, but what he said was basically true. The Texans didn't have the cap room to sign Vonta. That opened the door for Casey, who has played well. No money, and perhaps a better player for replacement? I don't see that as personal. That's just how the NFL works.
Old 10-16-2011   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Reading Vonta's comments, this sounds about right. I've read several times that Rick Smith is a first class a-hole to deal with in negotiations and that once he makes up his mind there's no changing it regardless if he's right or not. I agree with Vonta's statement about paying alot of players that didn't necessarily deserve it, we've spent alot of money in the wrong places. IMO.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #4
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18096 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Leach I think is talking out his ass I remeber seeing him saying he wanted to be the highest paid FB in the league.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith is not very good at his job.

This is just another example. I agree some players have been way over paid. The Jacoby Jones re-signing should be grounds for termination alone.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #6
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Vonta really wanted to stay in Houston so badly, he would have understood the financial situation and taken whatever we could have offered. He would have realize we had to pour all the money we had on defense. Sorry, Vonta, but whatever bro.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #7
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted him to stay here too, but when they announced Casey as the starter I was suprised. Now I see the possibilities. Casey's an upgrade at a cheaper price. Leach can only block, he'll never have a 100+ receiving game. I dunno if Rick Smith is an a hole when it comes to negotiations, but we as a team made the right decision.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2011   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61582 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Reading Vonta's comments, this sounds about right. I've read several times that Rick Smith is a first class a-hole to deal with in negotiations and that once he makes up his mind there's no changing it regardless if he's right or not. I agree with Vonta's statement about paying alot of players that didn't necessarily deserve it, we've spent alot of money in the wrong places. IMO.
I am not sure that Rick Smith is really that good at talent evaluation and knowing who to pay, but the place I want a first class jerk is at GM. negoitiations are not for the wishy-washy, and placing a monetary figure on a dude worth and telling him that number is not for the faint of heart
Old 10-16-2011   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I am not sure that Rick Smith is really that good at talent evaluation and knowing who to pay, but the place I want a first class jerk is at GM. negoitiations are not for the wishy-washy, and placing a monetary figure on a dude worth and telling him that number is not for the faint of heart
I agree about the GM jerk thing. But if you burn bridges with agents/players it will bite you in the butt.

It's not really that hard to tell a dude what he's worth.

BTW, I was for letting Leach walk.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #10
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33834 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Man that would be hard.

Sorry Vonta, but as well as you block, you were that bad in the pass game. It worked out well for both of us. Good luck and hopefully Cushing and Ryans destroys you this week!
Old 10-16-2011   #11
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13798 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
If Vonta really wanted to stay in Houston so badly, he would have understood the financial situation and taken whatever we could have offered. He would have realize we had to pour all the money we had on defense. Sorry, Vonta, but whatever bro.
I agree. I love Leach as a player and probably always will but I remember this guy talking about leaving and not being wanted DURING the lockout as if we could do anything about it then.

Methinks that his agent got in his ear and talked him into this bigger contract. Convincing him that Smith was lying and that the Texans don't want him. I think the Texans WANTED Leach sure but when it came to signing Joseph and Manning and resigning some guys then it just couldn't happen.

I guess looking back at it though Jacoby should have been let go...but still I would have spent that money on another WR and not Leach. Nothing against Leach though but he's still just a FB.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing that would remotely make me OK with a loss today is the fact that Vonta would get the last laugh!! YEP, I'm a huge Vonte fan and felt the TEXANS made a big mistake in letting him go. STUPID thing to do, and today they just might pay the price for such a dumb decision! James Casey has been one of my fav players since he was drafted, but, GUESS WHAT, he's injured!! What's new there?? Vonte gave us 100% all the time, played hurt, and loved being a TEXAN! The man deserved a good contract, Jacoby Jones DID NOT! SOOOO, I think Vonte nailed it when he made that statement. I miss him every Sunday, Pollard too, and today that "kickass" attitude just might be the reason for ANOTHER Texan loss!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #13
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
The only thing that would remotely make me OK with a loss today is the fact that Vonta would get the last laugh!! YEP, I'm a huge Vonte fan and felt the TEXANS made a big mistake in letting him go. STUPID thing to do, and today they just might pay the price for such a dumb decision! James Casey has been one of my fav players since he was drafted, but, GUESS WHAT, he's injured!! What's new there?? Vonte gave us 100% all the time, played hurt, and loved being a TEXAN! The man deserved a good contract, Jacoby Jones DID NOT! SOOOO, I think Vonte nailed it when he made that statement. I miss him every Sunday, Pollard too, and today that "kickass" attitude just might be the reason for ANOTHER Texan loss!!
I can agree about Jacoby Jones, but the part in bold I cannot... He wanted too much for a fullback...

I loved Leach here as well, and was sad to see him go, but we needed the money he was demanding for parts elsewhere...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing is going to blow his ass up today.

I don't miss vonta but I have nothing against him except he's the enemy.

All this contract stuff is just business.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156516 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

meh.....it's the era of free agency and has been for a while. We should be used to this sort of stuff by now.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's right that we needed him more than Jacoby Jones, but we need(ed) J. Joseph, D. Manning, and a receiver-that-actually-succeeds more than either of them. He might also think he was more important to us than somebody like Owen Daniels, but that's where he's just flat out wrong...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offense was better last year.

Maybe thats injuries, maybe thats scheme, maybe thats Leach.

We could score in the red zone. We can't anymore. He's the main thing thats changed.

I thought Casey was an upgrade when I watched him between the 20s.
Old 10-16-2011   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is, when you let Vonta go you let some of your toughness walk out the door. You let some of your edge go. If you want to contend for a championship that isn't how you go about getting there.

That happened so we could retain the services of a genuinely worthless player like Jacoby Jones if this report is to be believed. Too often the Texans have spent what they had available to keep or acquire the wrong guys. For years Rick Smith has seemingly thrown money to guys (ours and free agents) at random. McNair never calls him on it. I don't understand it. Look how long we dicked around with Ahman Green. Better options were out there at a fraction of the cost but we kept paying this over the hill veteran to sit on his ass and rehab. That's just one example but any of us could come up with more. The Texans have been foolish when it comes to paying and not paying players.

Leach should still be a Texan right now. Jacoby Jones should be at practice with his Arena team. It wasn't a choice between Leach and Casey. The fact that Vickers is on this team right now tells us that. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 10-16-2011   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
THIS^^^^ He was probably our most durable player in the most repeatedly trauma-exposed position. He certainly wasn't anything close to a wide receiver, but he had soft enough hands when called upon as a safety outlet........AND the Red Sea showed a tendency to part in his presence..........the same Red Sea into which Jacoby Jones and his money has disappeared, never to be seen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I can agree about Jacoby Jones, but the part in bold I cannot... He wanted too much for a fullback...

I loved Leach here as well, and was sad to see him go, but we needed the money he was demanding for parts elsewhere...
Knowing Vonta, I will put the "highest paid FB" thing in the mouth of his agent. Which are you apt to believe...........an insistance that "I want to be the highest paid FB" coming from Leach (when it finally came down to negotiations) or ""The deal that was offered to me was disrespectful to me and my family. It was a lesser deal than I just got finished playing for them for." (FYI, from 2006 to 2010, Vonta's salary escalated from ~$750,000 to 1,900,000)?????????............................... I'll pick what's behind door #2.

Jacoby Jones was given a 3-year contract worth $10.5 million, with $3.5 million guaranteed. Vonta signed a 3-year contract with the Ravens worth 11 million, with 6 million guaranteed.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #20
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33834 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The thing is, when you let Vonta go you let some of your toughness walk out the door. You let some of your edge go. If you want to contend for a championship that isn't how you go about getting there.

That happened so we could retain the services of a genuinely worthless player like Jacoby Jones if this report is to be believed. Too often the Texans have spent what they had available to keep or acquire the wrong guys. For years Rick Smith has seemingly thrown money to guys (ours and free agents) at random. McNair never calls him on it. I don't understand it. Look how long we dicked around with Ahman Green. Better options were out there at a fraction of the cost but we kept paying this over the hill veteran to sit on his ass and rehab. That's just one example but any of us could come up with more. The Texans have been foolish when it comes to paying and not paying players.

Leach should still be a Texan right now. Jacoby Jones should be at practice with his Arena team. It wasn't a choice between Leach and Casey. The fact that Vickers is on this team right now tells us that. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Everyone is already complaining about our wide outs, had we skipped signing Jones and opted to pay Leach, our wr's would actually be worse right now. They actually did the best thing this time and let him walk. Its a business with a strict salary. We could not afford to pay him what he obviously wanted. Tough break, but welcome to the NFL

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read