Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2005   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Casserly on 610am this morning

He is on after the commercial break if you want to dial in and see what he has to say. TJ was just on and he sounds like he has a great attitude.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

please post what he had to say (Casserly)... I can't get 610 here in Austin.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #3
Htown34s
Veteran

Yes, please relay the conversation for us Austinites!
Old 04-25-2005   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, the first segment is over. Here is a rough recap of what Casserly was saying for you guys...

Signed a few undrafted players and won’t announce them until they get the contracts finalized….probably Thursday.

Casserly surprised Browner wasn’t drafted.

Shazor wasn’t considered by us. Not fast enough.

Travis Johnson – highest rated interior lineman, had an opportunity to trade back further but didn’t want to lose him. Turns out there was another team on the phone with him so he would have been gone if we traded back again.

Vernand Morency – best player on their board at his pick. We were looking for RB depth.

Jerome Mathis – one of the fastest ever times at the combine. Ran a 4.26 on one watch. 5 TD’s on KO returns this last season. Has never been to spring practice due to him always being on the track team. Will improve with good coaching.

Drew Hodgdon – Played USC's Patterson and Cody and held his own when they broke film down on him.

C.C. Brown – fast guy who they thought was the best player at this pick

Kenneth Pettway – a project, good athlete.

Don’t forget about the Phillip Buchanon deal. Travis Johnson, Morency, Mathis and Buchannon will impact the team this year.

Old 04-25-2005   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder what DD thinks about the VM pick.

I hope he doesnt start crying about it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I'll take notes on the next segment as well. Looks like we have singed a few guys but CC wouldn't disclose who.
Old 04-25-2005   #7
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

refered to cc brown as a strong safety rather than a free safety...
Old 04-25-2005   #8
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
I wonder what DD thinks about the VM pick. I hope he doesnt start crying about it.
I hope not. I think he still has a lot to prove and knows it.

I'm a little put off that some players are offended that we are getting younger and adding depth at their position. That is what the NFL is all about. Its a necessity and every team wants to have good depth.
Old 04-25-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Default second segment with Casserly

Asked Casserly straight-up about Glenn and his future. Casserly said that is between Capers and Glenn and would not comment on it otherwise.

He said that the cap is something that you just have to consider in the Free Agency era. Each case is individual so you have to take them case by case.

On defense…We started 3 rookies last year and do not anticipate starting any rookies for the first time this season. Marcus Coleman should be better at FS due to experience now so the 3 rookies plus Coleman gives us 4 improved starters from last year’s defense who should play better this season. If we didn’t sign Morlon Greenwood Jamie Sharper would still be here.

Why draft Morencey instead of Justin Tuck….Didn’t think he could play linebacker. Doesn’t fit our defense. Capers said that Morency should have went in the 2nd round. They did the same thing in Washington when they drafted Stepen Davis. They thought he should have been drafted earlier. People questioned the Davis pick when they took him then because their returning starter had a good year like Dom had. Just have to upgrade the team where you can. Need picks in these rounds have hurt their drafts earlier.

Old 04-25-2005   #10
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Need picks in these rounds have hurt their drafts earlier.
Did Casserly admit this? If so, then bravo. I like his candor. I also like that we aren't making those mistakes any longer.

I actually like this draft the best so far. I know I'm probably in the minority.

Quote:
Drew Hodgdon – Played USC's Patterson and Cody and held his own when they broke film down on him.
This sounds great. McKinney is my new Matt Stevens...although that is a little too harsh.
Old 04-25-2005   #11
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 926 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Vinny]Asked Casserly straight-up about Glenn and his future. Casserly said that is between Capers and Glenn and would not comment on it otherwise.

Uh OH, We sit in A Glenns amen corner, Do I have to make a new sign?
Old 04-25-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I think you have to draft for need at times when you have a blank team (expansion). Sometimes is force a need or play guys like Jimmy Herndon.
Old 04-25-2005   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Didn't Cameron Spikes and Steve Foley go to San Diego and play well last year?

Edit: mentioning Jimmy Herndon made me think of Spikes.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a good thing that we are now at the point where we can draft for talent rather than need.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Default third segment

On Character: Team did extensive background checks. Dealing with young men in high profile situations on their campus…. They feel all their picks had questions and they feel good about the players after they checked them out. We want good people and you win with good reliable people. Not fair to question a player about being falsely accused of things. All the players selected are all good guys and we are comfortable with them.

On Derrick Johnson…. couple of things. They thought KC would take Derrick Johnson when they traded back based on their information so they figured he would be gone at 16. They just signed Greenwood so they wanted the extra pick wile picking up the player that they liked in TJ. Travis Johnson had a 25 on his Wonder-lick
Old 04-25-2005   #16
D-Rob23
Veteran

What about the possibility of trading down in the first round again?

Casserly said there was an opportunity to do so:
However, between where they were at 16 and where they would have moved down to: (a team in between those picks was interested in taking TJ, and the Texans decided not to make the deal)

worth pointing out at least

Last edited by D-Rob23; 04-25-2005 at 11:03 AM.
D-Rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #17
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
mentioning Jimmy Herndon made me think of Spikes.
Mentioning Jimmy Herndon made me throw up a little bit in my mouth. eek:
Old 04-25-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Default Final segment

Detroit taking Mike Williams…. He talked to Matt Millen, Detroit is going to put Williams in the slot and will create mismatches.

Everyone liked Matt Jones….may take some time to develop but Casserly said that he will likely develop fast.

On Colts…Bill Polian building defense thru the draft.

On the Meatballs….Pacman jones best corner in the draft and is an impact player. Roos is a terrific prospect at LT. Brandon Jones may have as much raw talent as any WR in the draft. Roby has good speed and good yac. Thinks all the Titan WR picks can play in the NFL.
Old 04-25-2005   #19
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I was mad that Bo Scaife went to the Titans. He had injury problems at UT, but was a good TE when healthy.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=nflnutswife]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Asked Casserly straight-up about Glenn and his future. Casserly said that is between Capers and Glenn and would not comment on it otherwise.

Uh OH, We sit in A Glenns amen corner, Do I have to make a new sign?
Well, I listened to the interview. In response to Lance's question, "Will Aaron Glenn be a Texan this season?" Casserly replied so many words that it was a discussion between Capers and Glenn and would not comment further, and would not be making any announcement about it now or later.

Now, I won't pretend that I can read between the lines any better than the next guy, but yeah, I'd say you need to get a new sign.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read