Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2011   #21
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Seven More Wins Or Six More Losses?

Seems like arbitrary numbers, but I'd guess 10-6 is more likely.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #22
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

So we beat the Steelers and lose to the Raiders and the sky is falling.

And that's not a surprise, either. We're all still shell-shocked from last season and all the consecutive 5-7 starts. We've been trained to expect this team to fail.
I don't see it as being shell-shocked. Just honest in the appraisal of the team. The Texans showed a lot of heart and toughness in defeating the Steelers. Then turn around and look like the mistake prone, lackadaisical team they've been off and on for Kubiak's tenure. Good enough, then not good enough. Mediocre. 8-8.

Every year it's a different reason. Injuries. Hurricanes. Defensive coaching. Youth. Inevitably, it's the same result. We haven't seen this team fly high enough to actually see the sky. Much less see it fall.

Logic would suggest that this is the year the Texans make it happen. Peyton out. New coach in Nashville. Rookie QB in JAX. Law of averages. I just don't see that spark across the entire team that would tell me this year is the year. And I'm looking for it every week.

Right now, I'm guessing 6 more wins and 5 more losses. Enough victories to have a "winning" season, and just enough losses to miss the playoffs.
Old 10-15-2011   #23
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is what worries me.

The Texans' offense simply didn't play well enough to beat an inferior team. It doesn't matter if it was play-calling or execution. The bottom line is that we failed to abuse a 29th rank defense that was missing it's 2nd & 3rd CB, middle LB in & out of the game, & Michael Huff at safety.

I expected the defense to struggle. The offensive struggles scares the bejeebus out of me.
This is precisely why I was fairly convinced when Wade was hired that the problem with the Texans still hadn't been solved.

Yes, the defense last year was horrendous and bringing in Wade was a no-brainer.

But after Wade came on board many folks just conveniently forgot that the Texans were also periodically (habitually?) plagued by poor game planning and poor game time decisions last year (and every year under Kubiak). They would run when they should have been passing. They would pass when they should have been running. They were obviously at least as good as nearly every opponent (as attested to by the closeness of the losses), but still managed to play just poorly enough to lose.

The team we saw against the Raiders is Kubiak's team.

I've been rooting for Gary. He's a great guy and a terrific representative of our enormous little town.

The bottom line is this: we know this team has a lot of talent. We see it. The best football analysts in the country see it. There are times when the Texans look unstoppable.

Then there are times when they simply don't show up---or they disappear for long stretches during games. That is a DIRECT reflection on the coach. The best teams in the league are the consistent teams---the teams who show up every game, know how to win, and take care of business. Those teams are led by rock-solid coaches.

I'd still love to see this team catch fire and start imposing their will on other teams and take control of game after game with an iron grip. We shall see.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #24
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76298 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think this is the gist of it.

Prior to this season, most of us were expecting the Texans to go 10-6 or 9-7. And most of us were expecting us to be 3-2 at this point with losses to the Saints and Steelers.

So we beat the Steelers and lose to the Raiders and the sky is falling.
Quote:
The Texans' offense simply didn't play well enough to beat an inferior team. It doesn't matter if it was play-calling or execution. The bottom line is that we failed to abuse a 29th rank defense that was missing it's 2nd & 3rd CB, middle LB in & out of the game, & Michael Huff at safety.

Of course, all of the expectations were based on last year's teams. Not many casual fans thought the Steelers would have such a drop off (I know I didn't), or that the Raiders would be so good. However, those that have been following the Raiders were/are expecting them to go at least 10-6 and more likely 11-5 this season.

BTW, most Raider fans marked the Texans game as a win, but the loss of the Raiders #2 & #3 DBs, #1 & #2 FBs, #1 WR, and DE Shaughnessey, compared to the Texan's loss of AJ made it a coin-toss game.

Last edited by Cerberus; 10-15-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have to get AJ back or teams will take away Foster and make Schaub and the other recievers beat them .
Old 10-15-2011   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

With the Texans, I couldn't put out an honest prediction, good or bad because both are possible. This team is consistently inconsistent, and their only real history is that of being a losing team.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #27
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

If you see seven more wins or six more losses, where do you see them?
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2011   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Of course, all of the expectations were based on last year's teams. Not many casual fans thought the Steelers would have such a drop off (I know I didn't), or that the Raiders would be so good. However, those that have been following the Raiders were/are expecting them to go at least 10-6 and more likely 11-5 this season.

BTW, most Raider fans marked the Texans game as a win, but the loss of the Raiders #2 & #3 DBs, #1 & #2 FBs, #1 WR, and DE Shaughnessey, compared to the Texan's loss of AJ made it a coin-toss game.
Nobody gives a shit.

This has nothing to do with that. The Raiders can go on to an 14-2 record and an AFC Championship berth. & it won't change the fact that we felt we were the better team & should have won.

This is internal reflection about the Texans.

You could be the Green Bay Packers, if we thought we should have won, we're going to discuss it from that point. From our POV. Cheesehead opinions won't be taken into account.
Old 10-15-2011   #29
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I didn't think the Raiders were better than the Texans either.

How many games have the Texans lost over the past 5 seasons to teams they should have beaten?

Again, sorry to be a wet rag, but the thread is asking for a prediction and this is mine. I honestly hope I've got it all wrong.
There is a big difference between the Raiders and the Browns,Jags,Colts and Panters now. You are talking about teams that will be drafting top 10 in the draft and the best team out of those maybe the Browns.

Raiders are a winning team that get quality wins and have been very competitive thus far with the leagues best rushing attack. Honestly after the news that Al Davis died I expected them to lose that game and I kinda expect them to lose to the Ravens.

Once the get AJ back though I think they can run through those other teams and only suffer 2-3 more losses. Even without Mario because the defense is STILL better than last year and the offense is still really good once Andre comes back and now you are adding Mason?

The only teams we've lost to thus far are two really good football teams. One on the road against a team whose only loss is to the Champs and the other a tough football team that the 'Win it for Al' mentality going in.

This is much better than getting embarrassed to a Cowboy team at home that went on to do nothing.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011   #30
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post

How bad really are the Steelers? Maybe the Texans just made them look bad, especially their defense because they are 4th in pts allowed, 2nd in total yards allowed...

Perhaps their offense has struggled but the death of their defense has been greatly exaggerated.

That's why I'm no so doom and gloom as others. Last year they've lost to mediocre teams, bad teams, and good teams alike this year thus far they've only lost to good teams and have beat the bad ones.
Old 10-15-2011   #31
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
I didn't think the Raiders were better than the Texans either.

How many games have the Texans lost over the past 5 seasons to teams they should have beaten?

Again, sorry to be a wet rag, but the thread is asking for a prediction and this is mine. I honestly hope I've got it all wrong.

I'm just saying it wouldn't be a factor of luck if we beat these teams, I can say with full confidence that we can beat all of those teams and are better than them, so that would not be lucky. Whether we actually do it or not is a completely different story.
Old 10-15-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
That's why I'm no so doom and gloom as others. Last year they've lost to mediocre teams, bad teams, and good teams alike this year thus far they've only lost to good teams and have beat the bad ones.
Oakland won 8 games last year. At best, they're an 11-5 team, at worse 5-11.

The Raiders need to continue to win games before we can say they're a "good" team. So far the only team they beat were the Jets & they look to be falling apart & the Texans.... & they look to be last years Texans.

I personally don't think they are playing that well. I bet they have trouble with Cleveland coming off their bye.
Old 10-15-2011   #33
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is a big difference between the Raiders and the Browns,Jags,Colts and Panters now. You are talking about teams that will be drafting top 10 in the draft and the best team out of those maybe the Browns.

Raiders are a winning team that get quality wins and have been very competitive thus far with the leagues best rushing attack. Honestly after the news that Al Davis died I expected them to lose that game and I kinda expect them to lose to the Ravens.

Once the get AJ back though I think they can run through those other teams and only suffer 2-3 more losses. Even without Mario because the defense is STILL better than last year and the offense is still really good once Andre comes back and now you are adding Mason?

The only teams we've lost to thus far are two really good football teams. One on the road against a team whose only loss is to the Champs and the other a tough football team that the 'Win it for Al' mentality going in.

This is much better than getting embarrassed to a Cowboy team at home that went on to do nothing.
The Texans were dominating the Raiders in the first half, shutting down McFadden, harassing and sacking Campbell, and forcing numerous three-and-outs. Naturally, the Texans offense failed to capitalize on several possessions---failed to put their opponent away.

The Raiders have a lot of talent, but Jason Campell isn't much more than a journeyman quarterback and the team discipline is bottom of the barrel. They did everything they could to give the game to the Texans with stupid penalties and drive killing miscues. The Texans failed to seize the day.

The ghost of Al Davis didn't beat the Texans. The Texans beat the Texans.

The Texans lost to an inferior team at home.

What happened last Sunday can only be characterized as a failure.
Old 10-15-2011   #34
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oakland won 8 games last year. At best, they're an 11-5 team, at worse 5-11.

The Raiders need to continue to win games before we can say they're a "good" team. So far the only team they beat were the Jets & they look to be falling apart & the Texans.... & they look to be last years Texans.

I personally don't think they are playing that well. I bet they have trouble with Cleveland coming off their bye.
Don't care much for last year. The teams the Raiders lost to...the Bills and Patriots. That's a good team right now and I'd be shocked if they lost to the Browns, but it is the NFL and it could happen but I doubt it.
Old 10-15-2011   #35
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Texans were dominating the Raiders in the first half, shutting down McFadden, harassing and sacking Campbell, and forcing numerous three-and-outs. Naturally, the Texans offense failed to capitalize on several possessions---failed to put their opponent away.

The Raiders have a lot of talent, but Jason Campell isn't much more than a journeyman quarterback and the team discipline is bottom of the barrel. They did everything they could to give the game to the Texans with stupid penalties and drive killing miscues. The Texans failed to seize the day.

The ghost of Al Davis didn't beat the Texans. The Texans beat the Texans.

The Texans lost to an inferior team at home.

What happened last Sunday can only be characterized as a failure.
I guess, I think people put too much into "The team beat themselves" and all the while just ignore that there is another team playing against their team.

Just like Steeler fans think they beat themselves and from our view our team beat their team and in effect made the Steelers look worse than they actually are. Someone's going to win and someone's going to lose and the winner likely is going to make the loser look bad.

Some of these mistakes were caused by the Raiders defense that played well that day. That's how I see it. Nothing about the ghost of Al Davis making Vickers drop that TD pass...but those guys were motivated to play you can't deny that. How else do you explain one of the worst run defenses (Raiders) shutting down one of the best rush offenses. Those guys clearly outplayed our Oline. It's not like the Texans went out there and fumbled the ball 2 times and threw a couple of silly INTs and gave them the game. I'd say give them some credit.
Old 10-15-2011   #36
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76298 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nobody gives a shit.

This has nothing to do with that. The Raiders can go on to an 14-2 record and an AFC Championship berth. & it won't change the fact that we felt we were the better team & should have won.
You can "feel" like what ever you want; I was just telling it like it is. Raider fans "feel" like they have the better team. Apparently it was settled on the field and you are either in denial, want to believe in "your" alternate-reality, or have a case of sour-grapes.

I guess what you don't understand is that after the SB year, the following years of futility allowed the Raiders to pick up top-of-the-draft-players, whereas middle-of-the-road teams get to pick in the . . . middle! Case in point, Raiders recent 1st round picks include Seymour (trade), McClain, Heyward-Bey, McFadden & Huff; who all made significant contributions to winning the game. By comparison, the Texans have drafted Watt, Jackson, Cushing, Brown, Okoye and Williams. See the difference? If not, just look at how the Chargers turned all their dismal years into gold after drafting close to the top year-after-year. It is like the middle-of-the-road teams get mired in mediocrity because they never get the chance to go for the brass ring (Andrew Luck this year). But of course, you probably don't understand my point and don't see it that way; figuring the Texans beat the Raiders last year, ergo they MUST be better this year. Not true!

Hey, I've been a Raider fan since 1967; however, living in Houston the past 15 years has made me also like the Texans. That unique combination allowed me to see the good and bad from both teams, which is why I predicted a Raider win by 3-4 points, but also said you could flip a coin. You see, unlike a Raider fan or a Texan fan, I was aware of what both teams brought to the table, and didn't base my views on some preconceived notion drawn from last year's teams. Especially since last year's Raider team was coached by Tom Cable, and this year's team is coached by Hue Jackson; a vast improvement, which again was reflected on the field of play.

Now lets talk Kubes. I happened to like the Kubes hiring, but I agree his time is running out here in Houston. I expected more from him, in the mold of Shanarat. Oh well. Still, be careful what you wish for, as the wrong coaching change could make the Texans even worse. Then again, that could help them pick top-of-the-draft-players in the future. Kind of that "suck for Luck" mentality that is now going on in some cities.
Old 10-15-2011   #37
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Don't care much for last year. The teams the Raiders lost to...the Bills and Patriots. That's a good team right now and I'd be shocked if they lost to the Browns, but it is the NFL and it could happen but I doubt it.
And like the Patriots, the Raiders were beating the Bills by 20 points in the first half before allowing them to come back. Raiders should be 4-1, as the Patriots beat them, no doubt.
Old 10-15-2011   #38
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
those guys were motivated to play you can't deny that. How else do you explain one of the worst run defenses (Raiders) shutting down one of the best rush offenses.
This BEGS the question: why weren't the Texans motivated to play? Did they really want the victory less than the Raiders did? If so, we're pulling for the wrong team for sure.

The formula for attaining a playoff berth is simple and old. Win all your home games and try to win as many away games as possible. Winning eight at home and four away will guarantee a playoff spot. Winning eight at home and a couple away will usually get you in.

I don't want to belabor this because I'm in danger of becoming the board's dark cloud.

But, again, letting a very attainable home victory slip away means Kubiak and his boys got an F on their weekly exam. And if I'm grading them, they won't be getting any smiley faces with a peppy comment praising them for a nice try.
Old 10-15-2011   #39
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

The absence of a franchise quarterback continues to hurt them long term.
Old 10-15-2011   #40
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How else do you explain one of the worst run defenses (Raiders) shutting down one of the best rush offenses. Those guys clearly outplayed our Oline.
It is like I explained in this post before the game was played:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...95235#poststop

Basically, it is a case of stats not telling you the truth. Years ago, the Raiders had a "great pass defense", because nobody bothered to pass against them so the numbers were skewed. This year their run defense looks bad because of some long runs; otherwise, as with Arian Foster last Sunday, you see a lot of 2 yard runs mixed in with a 20 yarder. Problem is, after three 2-yard runs in a row, a team has to punt. So, don't pay attention to the numbers, because they usually lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The absence of a franchise quarterback continues to hurt them long term.
Hopefully, the Raiders can resurrect Jason Campbell's career, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Still, if he plays the Trent Dilfer role of not hurting the team, they'll do well. If Jason is called upon to win games for them, they will not. Put a Tom Brady behind center for the Raiders, and they kick ass all over the league, because they have enough skill players at all the other positions.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read